• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sequel and Gran Turismo 7 are Cross Generation Titles

supernova8

Banned
If you think they aren't going to have a game by Xmas?

I don't know what to say.

Let's wait 10 days and talk about this again.

After all it seems like after R&C there is nothing but time....

Firstly, what do you think is coming by the end of 2021? Maybe Halo and Warhammer Darktide?

As for time after R&C, don't forget that's after they already released Spiderman and Demons Souls at launch. Those games are not for me but they are still heavy hitter titles (Spiderman more so than DS, of course).

Plus, as I said, it sounds like Horizon FW is coming either in 2021 or very early 2022.

Last edited:

CeeJay

MS changed their message when they were getting outsold by a big margin last gen. They changed their tactics just like they did after the initial reveal of the X1.
Businesses have to be agile and change if they need to. Bringing games to PC is money that was being left on the table.
Sony have PS5 only games and crossgen games too. Jim Ryan should have kept his mouth shut. I would have been worried if they were all crossgen but they aren't. It just makes commercial sense to develop the PS4 versions along with PS5 as they are so similar etc.
Oh sorry, my mistake I didn't realise we were going back nearly a decade with our debate and holding them to account now for what they said during the reveal of the Xbox One. When was that? like 2012?

I thought we were discussing the cross gen with the current consoles not going way back to before the current management of both took the reigns... You can have it if you want to start getting into a historical debate going back as far as you need to to try and prove a point.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
GT7 doesn't really matter, it's a closed track racing game. They can just make it more detailed and include RT and all of that on PS5, it won't be held back by also being on PS4.

But GoW is disappointing. This means the next game will be the game semi-open world with linear paths branching out from a hub. A PS5-only title could have been a lot more ambitious.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Firstly, what do you think is coming by the end of 2021? Maybe Halo and Warhammer Darktide?

As for time after R&C, don't forget that's after they already released Spiderman and Demons Souls at launch. Those games are not for me but they are still heavy hitter titles (Spiderman more so than DS, of course).

Plus, as I said, it sounds like Horizon FW is coming either in 2021 or very early 2022.
Not the guy you’re responding to but Halo, FH5, Flight Sim and Psychonauts 2 with one more game under wraps IMO (Wolf 3?). We should find out soon enough.

kuncol02

Banned
What the hell is wrong with some people.
A game being delayed shouldn't even be a point of discussion when team members are being treated like that by the people who claim to love their games.
Is that surprising to you? That's what happens to every public person. World is full of kids trying to be edgy and psychotic fans. Do you even realize how many celebrities was killed by their fans? If you don't want to get messages like that don't become celebrity.
I'm actually surprised that people in Sony are again using "evil gamerz" to shift public discourse from Sony's lies (they straight up lied about Gran Tourismo being PS5 exclusive game). I would expect that strategy to not work anymore.

Is that surprising to you? That's what happens to every public person. World is full of kids trying to be edgy and psychotic fans. Do you even realize how many celebrities was killed by their fans? If you don't want to get messages like that don't become celebrity.
I'm actually surprised that people in Sony are again using "evil gamerz" to shift public discourse from Sony's lies (they straight up lied about Gran Tourismo being PS5 exclusive game). I would expect that strategy to not work anymore.
I'm not sure it surprises me but I am far too often disappointed that people can get so emotional about things like games. 🤷‍♂️

THEAP99

Banned

That's pretty disgusting that gamers lash out saying disturbing shit like that. Unacceptable.

As for what Cory said about him "making the calls," I wouldn't look too much into that. The tweet is just him wanting people to direct anger at him instead of the smaller developers because he's a nice guy, don't think he actually "made those calls" though.

Shmunter

That's pretty disgusting that gamers lash out saying disturbing shit like that. Unacceptable.

As for what Cory said about him "making the calls," I wouldn't look too much into that. The tweet is just him wanting people to direct anger at him instead of the smaller developers because he's a nice guy, don't think he actually "made those calls" though.
I’m surprised online personalities haven’t developed callous to teenage trolls.

Maybe it’s just more convenient to show it once in awhile for some social media likes crack.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Maybe it’s just more confident to show it once in awhile for some social media likes crack.
No doubt.

If tech people love social media, you got to take the punches. If someone doesn't like it, then dont have social media or turn off comments.

You can have the awesomest and most positive video on YT. 99% of people thumbs up. But you'll always get that 1% making fun, cussing or slinging insults for laughs.

The OP can ignore it, get into mudslinging matches back, or turn off comments. Or just dont do YT videos at all. People have a choice.

Every company I've worked at says dont interact with people regarding products. Let the marketing dept social media account handle it. They actually dont want employees trying to be the face of the company chiming in, tweeting etc....

In video games, its the wild west of employees all trying to be the face of the studio. Zero control.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

Maybe it’s just more convenient to show it once in awhile for some social media likes crack.
She is a well known attention whore, of course she has to show every idiot who send her that stuff, it's par for the course for her internet persona.

Like the famous meme said

953e86e8e86a3d2a1033ee54dfc5a3a214b63d196227dec86fe848e029e1ceab_3.jpg

Last edited:

OuterLimits

People saying "We believe in generations" can't read, can they?

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

It's about features.

Well, I guess 99.9% of gamers, media, and even Sony fans don't know how to read then, since they were absolutely mocking Microsoft for admitting some games would be cross-gen, while Sony believed in generations.

People weren't saying "oh cool, the dualSense controller feature on the PS5 version of GoW is going to be awesome", or "the 3D audio for Gran Turismo 7 is going to be fantastic" . No, they were saying "Xbox games will be held back by ancient tech, while Sony is releasing their big hitters exclusively on PS5"

Look, I think the games are still going to be awesome and look fantastic. However, releasing big exclusives as cross gen in year 2 and 3 of the new gen kind of sucks. Especially hardware that will be almost be a decade old(and were not even that impressive in 2013/14) by the time these games launch.

ManaByte

It's easy for everyone to turn off twitter tho.

Not when they need the traffic it provides. For someone like her, who has a YouTube channel, it's likely that her Twitter account is the primary way to drive views to her channel because relying on the algorithm is suicide. So no, for some people it's not so easy to just turn off Twitter.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's easy to say that when you're not the one being punched.
It's easy for everyone to turn off twitter tho.
Exactly.

Cant get punched if you don't have subber-reliant social media accounts.

I got a Linkedin for careers and a FB for friends and fam and trustworthy coworkers. Nothing else. I've never posted a message publicly ever on Linkedin and I post on my FB account once or twice a month. Thats it.

Hard to get punched when you dont react to people on Twitter, YT, Instagram, and whatever other big social media platforms there are.

Last edited:

John Wick

Oh sorry, my mistake I didn't realise we were going back nearly a decade with our debate and holding them to account now for what they said during the reveal of the Xbox One. When was that? like 2012?

I thought we were discussing the cross gen with the current consoles not going way back to before the current management of both took the reigns... You can have it if you want to start getting into a historical debate going back as far as you need to to try and prove a point.
Why do I need to hold MS to account for? My point is companies change policies when they need to. To adapt to market conditions. So just like MS needed to change so do Sony. They need to sell their blockbusters to a large install base which due to Covid isn't maybe gonna happen as quickly as they might have planned. These decisions might have been taken recently. It is what it is. I don't understand what the Big issue is?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Not when they need the traffic it provides. For someone like her, who has a YouTube channel, it's likely that her Twitter account is the primary way to drive views to her channel because relying on the algorithm is suicide. So no, for some people it's not so easy to just turn off Twitter.
It is also easy to ban all the people who talk shit if she is so delicate, i'm not familiar with twitter but i guess it's not more difficult than clicking on some button.

You want yt money, you also get the harassement like everyone else who is a bit famous, but milions of people don't need to cry out or make public every single idiot who insult them, that's what i call that a victim complex mixed with attention whoring, it's not like she is new to that...

Last edited:

Roufianos

Question: What Sony game after Ratchet and Clank do we think will be next-gen only? Clearly it would probably be after Ragnorok so maybe later next year? Would TLOU Remake be next-gen only? What else they have in the pipeline coming in the next 2 years I wonder because, from a first-party perspective, ND, Suckerpunch, and Bend are gonna take a bit to release another game.

I think Spider-man 2 in 2023 will be the start of the next-gen only phase coming in and cross-gen fading out.
Another TLOU PS4 remake would be laughable 😂😂😂

reksveks

The first reaction to idiots/anonymous bullies on social media shouldn't be suggestions that the victims could leave the social media space.

Yes, victims can leave the social media space but it's a bad solution. Proper moderation of the space is the right solution.

GuinGuin

Banned
I don't think it will be 4 years.

So sell the PS5 that you paid $500 to someone for $250, and then buy the PS5 slim for $400? This sounds like the opposite of what a frugal person would do.

Why do you concern yourself with how other people spend (or don't spend) their money? Try not to be such an elitist, judgmental asshole.

Gaming is already a cheap hobby.

Unlike every other major Sony release they didn't do any DLC or expansions for God of War they just rolled right into production of the sequel. At the time all they had were PS4 dev kits. Being cross gen isn't just the obvious choice but probably the only choice at the time.

CamHostage

But GoW is disappointing. This means the next game will be the game semi-open world with linear paths branching out from a hub. A PS5-only title could have been a lot more ambitious.
...But what God of War game is not a semi-open world with linear paths branching out from a hub? That's what the franchise concept is. It's not going to change to open-world / quest goals / flying-mounts / rifts aplenty / bring hookers back to the pad for hot coffee gameplay just because there's more horsepower to make use of.

God of War 3 was a special technical showcase to give the impression that stages were all taking place on the backs of live Titans (it also came out 3 1/2 years into the PS3's lifespan; Ragnarok was targeting the first Christmas after launch if you believe that teaser's original date,) but God of War games have still had generally familiar structures that evolve as the design concepts take them new places, not necessarily because new hardware demand they reinvent the concept.

I want a new GoW that defies my imagination like GoW 3 too (or that sets a visual benchmark ala GoW PS4, although so far cross-gen scaling has kept up with anything native console productions can put out so far, we'll see if that changes before UE5 and other tech are production-ready in the next year or so,) but this is the state of gaming in 2021/early-2022.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
...But what God of War game is not a semi-open world with linear paths branching out from a hub? That's what the franchise concept is. It's not going to change to open-world / quest goals / flying-mounts / rifts aplenty / bring hookers back to the pad for hot coffee gameplay just because there's more horsepower to make use of.

God of War 3 was a special technical showcase to give the impression that stages were all taking place on the backs of live Titans (it also came out 3 1/2 years into the PS3's lifespan; Ragnarok was targeting the first Christmas after launch if you believe that teaser's original date,) but God of War games have still had generally familiar structures that evolve as the design concepts take them new places, not necessarily because new hardware demand they reinvent the concept.

They had already established the world and the lore and the gates, etc. They weren't going to give all of that up and start from scratch. It would have added two years or more to the development cycle.

Pull n Pray

Banned
The “people can’t find a console” excuse is lame

:messenger_sunglasses:
Economics 101: Scalping only exists where demand exceeds supply. You are providing credence to the "people can't find a console" excuse.

Dr Bass

Yes, I took that screenshot. It's a panning shot from the trailer at the 0:30 second mark.

I have posted this a few times in the past in response to people who said this game looked truly next gen and was only possible on PS5 and that it won't be cross gen.

I mean I noticed you didn't pick the frame at 55 seconds where you can see clear ray tracing on the car, and the sequences that DO look next-gen. You picked maybe the worst frame that literally lasts a fraction of a second in a 3.5 minute trailer. :messenger_tongue:

I have no doubt GT7 is going to look awesome on PS5. I also am sure it can be cut down enough to fit on PS4. It's not a big deal. Heck I don't even like realistic racing games.

The real question is why I am responding to this weeks old post. I have no idea. It's just funny to me how much effort goes on among some people to tear this stuff down when it's going to be great.

Top Bottom