• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Spider Man 2 opinion: and now?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Sony is not the type of company that announces a game and release it in 6 months, they build hype over years, be fair they have nothing announced for 2024 right now, even games like Marathon are not confirmed for 2024, so unless if they changed their whole marketing system 2024 is going to be dryer than Microsoft’s 2022. PS5 is still going to be the top dog in sales.
It's true. Typical Sony game announcement cycle is:

1. Announce game.
2. Announce year.
3. Announce season (often with a delay to the originally announced year).
5. Announce date.
6. Announce short delay to the previously announced date.

That no games currently even have a year (I might be wrong about this?) is worrisome based on their previous track record.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I'd hate to be a CEO or director or what you call it and make the decision of what game you'll be making for the next 5 years. Imagine it being a complete flop.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Isnt that also apply to you? You like GaaS and live service games so you want to more that type game being made.

It definitely applies to me as well. However, I'm aware of my biases and can easily place them to the side when talking strategy.

For example, I can't stand AAA formulaic sequels. I much prefer new IP that take bold creative risks.

I think PlayStation would be CRAZY to turn their back on their formulaic Spiderman, God of War, Uncharted, Horizon games. Those games make too much money to cease development on.

Other people can not do this. Other people are stuck in their "I don't like GAAS so I hope they're all cancelled and/or fail" mentality. I have reached a certain level of maturity in my old age.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I'd hate to be a CEO or director or what you call it and make the decision of what game you'll be making for the next 5 years. Imagine it being a complete flop.
I think this is why games often feel late on trends. Sometimes a key theme in a game will be something relevant a few years ago, so it's almost always a good idea to just keep current event stuff out of games in the first place.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It definitely applies to me as well. However, I'm aware of my biases and can easily place them to the side when talking strategy.

For example, I can't stand AAA formulaic sequels. I much prefer new IP that take bold creative risks.

I think PlayStation would be CRAZY to turn their back on their formulaic Spiderman, God of War, Uncharted, Horizon games. Those games make too much money to cease development on.

Other people can not do this. Other people are stuck in their "I don't like GAAS so I hope they're all cancelled and/or fail" mentality. I have reached a certain level of maturity in my old age.
That has less to do with “maturity“ and more to with people being honest what they want and don’t want.…so they want to support the games they want to play same as you wanting support GaaS and live service games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That has less to do with “maturity“ and more to with people being honest what they want and don’t want.…so they want to support the games they want to play same as you wanting support GaaS and live service games.

Right.

People are unwilling to come to the discussion in terms of corporate strategy. Instead it's basic "I like this so they should do what I like", which to me, is fairly childish.

Tsaki

Not several, couple, their 2014 and 2015 were bad (bloodborne is not first party) but they picked it up in 2016
I mean, what does it matter if it's a game released exclusively for the platform?

People don't look back to 2015 and think "hey, FromSoftware developed this", they talk about the game they co-developed with Sony.
Bloodborne is first party, the same way Luigi's Mansion 2 and 3, Forza Horizon 1,2,3, Flight Simulator, Halo Wars 2, Gears of War 1,2,3 and more. In-house devs are not required; if they own the IP, it's 1st party.

Edit: Actually GoW 1,2,3 were just published by MS and Epic owned them, so they wouldn't be 1st party anyway.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Bloodborne is first party, the same way Luigi's Mansion 2 and 3, Forza Horizon 1,2,3, Flight Simulator, Halo Wars 2, Gears of War 1,2,3 and more. In-house devs are not required; if they own the IP, it's 1st party.
I think you meant to quote him, because I agree :p

Danjin44

Right.

People are unwilling to come to the discussion in terms of corporate strategy. Instead it's basic "I like this so they should do what I like", which to me, is fairly childish.
Because for majority of people gaming is a hobby we enjoy in our spare time…so we rather talk about the actual games we play and enjoy instead of talking about corporations.

Last edited:

yurinka

Jim and Hermen said multiple times that they have more han 25 games under development and that half of them (which is more than any other big publisher) are new IPs. We also have to consider they do rare stuff like Media Molecule games, Death Stranding, VR stuff and so on.

In addiion to this, make sure he other half of their games will be sequels of their beloved games: sequels of successful new IPs (as an example I can't wait for GoT or Days Gone sequels) or classic blockbusters like TLOU, Uncharted, GoW, GT, Horizon, etc.

They make a ton of stuff, and very different stuff. Sure, they'll make some games that aren't for me but it's ok. I mean, I'm not a shooter, MP, GaaS guy but I understand they are the most successful type of games, so I think it make sense for them to make shooter MP GaaS games with the folks who made Destiny, Halo (Firewalk+Bungie), CoD (Deviation) or Rainbow Six Siege or Assassin's Creed (Haven). Maybe their games won't be for me but I understand that many other people will love them.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Because for majority of people gaming is a hobby we enjoy in our spare time…so we rather talk about the actual games we play and enjoy instead talk about corporations.

I think you see plenty of "Corporation should do X to make more money" talk, at NeoGAF. There's actually a lot of that here. The problem is that much of it devolves into "If the corporation makes the games I like, then they will do well in the market." Again, it's the kind of mentality I saw out of me and my friends when we were in grade school.

I think it's more interesting to consider what's actually effective in the market than to just tell eachother what genres we have personal preferences for.

Danjin44

I think you see plenty of "Corporation should do X to make more money" talk, at NeoGAF. There's actually a lot of that here. The problem is that much of it devolves into "If the corporation makes the games I like, then they will do well in the market." Again, it's the kind of mentality I saw out of me and my friends when we were in grade school.

I think it's more interesting to consider what's actually effective in the market than to just tell eachother what genres we have personal preferences for.
I can only talk for my personal preference but I’m not investor so to me corporation talk is not all that interesting. Same way for movies and books and any other hobby. I like to talk about the actual work itself not corporation behind it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I can only talk for my personal preference but I’m not investor so to me corporation talk is not all that interesting. Same way for movies and books and any other hobby. I like to talk about the actual work itself not corporation behind it.
It's weird how you and me gravitate towards two different kinds of discussion (I love considering the types of games gamers want) and yet, we bump heads a lot. You'd think we would be two ships passing in the night.

Gamerguy84

Spider man 2 is a highly polished game in all areas. Really good story. It actually came out better than I thought.

Most excited for FF and Wolverine.

I like PlayStation as much as the next man. I heavily favored their PS3 and 4 consoles. Uncharted was new. Last of Us, new. Heavy Rain. Infamous. The Order. Demon Souls and Bloodborne. Death Stranding. Many others can be named but these I enjoyed the most. Killzone Shadowfall multiplayer was phenomenal. Best online shooter I’ve ever played. The chirp of a confirmed kill? Glorious.

PS5 has been primarily remakes. Uncharted 4 again. Demon Souls, again. Death Stranding, TLOU. Over the shoulder GOW and Horizon do nothing for me. Ghost of Tsushima is a glorified Ubisoft game. Had my attention in the beginning then the map 🗺️ opened up… I’m out. Bigger isn’t always better.

Where are the new games???? Where Sony???

I’ve seen enough Spiderman.

God of War isn’t an open world game.

Then there’s the focus on VR. Sony has always had these little side projects. PSP. PS Eye. PS Move. Now there’s VR. I dunno, feels like a waste of resources to me as I prefer a traditional tv controller experience. Not strapping shit to me my head.

Be more like Nintendo. Fuck what everyone else is doing. Be yourself. Be creative. Take risks and try new things. It’s what brought you to the dance. Your bread and butter.
Returnal is all of those things.

sendit

Threads like this are created every year questioning Sony's output. Sony has a consistent release schedule. Maybe threads like these are brought up because the games they release are not generation defining (Starfield), or built from the ground up like Forza.

One niche game but I agree with you. Just not my cup of tea.
Which is totally fine, of course.

But I do find it interesting that the only recent game Sony published that bucked the much maligned 'Sony formula' is the same one that didn't sell very well, and that isn't even remembered by most in threads like these. And it didn't come at the cost of the usual Sony quality either. It's an excellent game.

Raonak

Banned
You realise that at this point of the PS4 lifecycle, the PS Studio had released: Killzone Shadowfall, Knack, Infamous Second Son, and Uncharted 4?

PS4 had a nitoriously slow start, I basically only played rocket league on it for the first few years.
Actually, PS3 had a slow start as well.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

I think the best thing to do in that situation is allow the studio to make something they’re passionate and excited about. Wouldn’t telling them, the developers, what to do make them less enthusiastic? Surely that would show in the final product. Not saying every passion project idea is perfect but it beats chasing trends imo.

ProtoByte

How do you know Bend is doing a multiplayer game? All we know is that is a open-world game with multiplayer elements, and a lot of games fit in the same description: Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Borderlands, etc.
The fact that they pointed that out as a main feature without even mentioning single player indicates its a Division-like project as opposed to DS or Ghost.
These days, any game with significant multiplayer elements becomes a multiplayer game.

I have similar opinions but isn't bend doing a single player open world?

Tsushima was basically an ubisoft open world with good art design and better combat, the whole honor thing was cringe as fuck and just downright stupid, i hope they get rid of that shit in the sequel, and the villain was good for like 2 hours, the margin of improvements are GIGANTIC.
(And i would take a new infamous over that one every day of the week)
The writing also wasn't very impressive, and the combat wasn't as exciting or visceral as it could be. The stealth and level design either fucking sucked or was mediocre.

Just 100% SM2. I'd give it 8.7 or so. Best travesersal of any game ever. Story is very good and satisfying. Combat wasn't as improved as I hoped it would be. I don't think constantly spamming gadgets repeatedly makes for a great gameplay loop. I will say the animations in combat are some of the best, very smooth too. Graphics were fantastic when you consider everything that is happening on screen. Overall, quite satisfied, even if it didn't reinvent the wheel

Excited for Wolverine. I really hope Insomniac goes full Mature rating for that game. And there is absolutely no reason to do a cross-over with Spider-Man or even have it take place in the same universe. Wolverine should feel like it's own breathing world. Please don't MCU that shit up

Three

Reality, Insomniac literally just released their biggest game ever they would have had all hands on it for probably the last 4 months to get it in a shippable state. It got revealed 2 years ago with a CGI trailer, you're expecting a release 3 years later? no chance unless it's a small AA title which it isn't.
Rift Apart was announced in 2020 and was released on 2021. They released it a year after Miles Morales. I'm not saying Wolverine will release in 2024 but what you're saying is impossible, is possible. It has happened before.

ProtoByte

Rift Apart was announced in 2020 and was released on 2021. They released it a year after Miles Morales. I'm not saying Wolverine will release in 2024 but what you're saying is impossible, is possible. It has happened before.
I honestly hope it's 2025. They need to focus on pushing the boundaries with that one. Gameplay, writing, graphics all need to be a big step over the Spider-Man games imo.

If it is 2025, it's probably early 2025 - and we probably get ND's game in the same year. Maybe even SMS.

2024 should be Helldivers 2, Death Stranding 2, Concord, Fairgames and Ghost 2. Among those, obviously, only DS2 and Ghost 2 are substantially major.

GymWolf

I honestly hope it's 2025. They need to focus on pushing the boundaries with that one. Gameplay, writing, graphics all need to be a big step over the Spider-Man games imo.

If it is 2025, it's probably early 2025 - and we probably get ND's game in the same year. Maybe even SMS.

2024 should be Helldivers 2, Death Stranding 2, Concord, Fairgames and Ghost 2. Among those, obviously, only DS2 and Ghost 2 are substantially major.
I don't see tsushima being a 2024 game and if that list is what remain of sony games in 2024, we are fucked :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
You realise that at this point of the PS4 lifecycle, the PS Studio had released: Killzone Shadowfall, Knack, Infamous Second Son, and Uncharted 4?

PS4 had a nitoriously slow start, I basically only played rocket league on it for the first few years.
Actually, PS3 had a slow start as well.
You left out Bloodborne and Until Dawn. I know you said PlayStation Studios, but Sony owns both of those. :p

But, I agree. The previous two PlayStations started much slower than the PS5. As usual, Sony won't have an issues bringing the games!

Last edited:

ProtoByte

I don't see tsushima being a 2024 game and if that list is what remain of sony games in 2024, we are fucked :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Hmm. I would think it a pretty good list just on the output level. None of that shit doesn't appeal to me; in none of it does, actually. But you mix that in with FF7 Rebirth, Wonder Woman (yes, 3rd party, but PlayStation's likely to get the marketing rights), and a few other major third party releases, nobody can or will complain about not having enough to play on the PS5 next year.

Hmm. I would think it a pretty good list just on the output level. None of that shit doesn't appeal to me; in none of it does, actually. But you mix that in with FF7 Rebirth, Wonder Woman (yes, 3rd party, but PlayStation's likely to get the marketing rights), and a few other major third party releases, nobody can or will complain about not having enough to play on the PS5 next year.
Plus Rise of the Ronin

I have really high hopes for a Team Ninja game with a Sony budget. DS2, FF7 Rebirth, and Rise of The Ronin is a solid year for Sony exclusives. Maybe one of their Gaas games will hit as well, probably not

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Plus Rise of the Ronin

I have really high hopes for a Team Ninja game with a Sony budget. DS2, FF7 Rebirth, and Rise of The Ronin is a solid year for Sony exclusives. Maybe one of their Gaas games will hit as well, probably not

Yeah, that too. Now that I think about it though, it probably wouldn't make much sense to release Ghost 2 and Ronin in the same year... but it all depends on what Ghost 2 actually is.

Fairgame$ is a guaranteed flop. Best Concord can hope for is decent performance.

Yeah, that too. Now that I think about it though, it probably wouldn't make much sense to release Ghost 2 and Ronin in the same year... but it all depends on what Ghost 2 actually is.

Fairgame$ is a guaranteed flop. Best Concord can hope for is decent performance.
Ghost 2 in 2025 always made sense. Suckerpunch put out 2 sizeable DLC's for Ghost 1, so they probably didn't start development for Ghost 2 until 2021.

GymWolf

Sorry for the late response, I just had to throw up a little thinking that the remilk operation part 2 and fart sniffing delivery 2 are gonna be the big hit of 2024 :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Ronin looks good tho.

I'm Curious about wonder woman, mostly because they are gonna use the nemesys system but i don't give a fuck about the characters itself.

We also have some promising(?) Stuff from ubisoft between ac ninja, outlaws and avatar.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

Fairgame will be cancel sometime. Concord will be a good game.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
My issue is less about sequels and more about the style of games that Sony makes now. They used to release games across a wide spectrum genres, many of which were quirky and awesome Japanese titles. Now, everything is a story-driven, 3rd-person AAA game.

Just… really boring.

Sorry for the late response, I just had to throw up a little thinking that the remilk operation part 2 and fart sniffing delivery 2 are gonna be the big hit of 2024 :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Ronin looks good tho.

I'm Curious about wonder woman, mostly because they are gonna use the nemesys system but i don't give a fuck about the characters itself.

We also have some promising(?) Stuff from ubisoft between ac ninja, outlaws and avatar.
Death Stranding is probably the most innovative game of the past 5 years. I can understand not liking it but you should at least respect it for what it is. Also, I can guarantee DS2 won't just be a rehash of DS1. Whatever DS2 is, you can trust Kojima to radically change up the formula from the original. He always be pushing boundaries of what is possible and/or expected

And as much as you complained about SM2 graphics, just imagine how good DS2 will look with it being the first Decima engine game utilizing the PS5. Graphics alone, will make DS2 a system seller

GymWolf

Death Stranding is probably the most innovative game of the past 5 years. I can understand not liking it but you should at least respect it for what it is. Also, I can guarantee DS2 won't just be a rehash of DS1. Whatever DS2 is, you can trust Kojima to radically change up the formula from the original. He always be pushing boundaries of what is possible and/or expected

And as much as you complained about SM2 graphics, just imagine how good DS2 will look with it being the first Decima engine game utilizing the PS5. Graphics alone, will make DS2 a system seller
The only thing that make me interested in the game at this point, but maybe kojima is gonna surprise me.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I've grown tired of the Sony big-budget movie game approach. They pretty much ruined the franchises I really liked (Horizon, Uncharted, TLoU). Rift Apart was okay, but not memorable. As for Spider-Man 2, I saw a review that put me off it, talking about woke garbage, combat issues, and a weak story. I don't see much on the horizon that interests me, either.

I enjoyed the PS4, but over the past 3 or 4 years, I've lost interest in Sony. Not only am I tired of the big-budget movie game thing, I'm disappointed that they have such a strong emphasis on live service games, which have zero appeal to me.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Always appreciate folks who have an eye for creativity. People ask for it, then when given, it's "nothing special". Stay true to form? "It's a reskin". Can't win for trying.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It was alright... I think it's my least favorite of the three titles, although I will admit the Spiderman opinion is based heavily on the included DLC content that released later, perhaps if they release more intresting follow on content for 2 is might surpass the original for me, maybe black cats girlfriend has huge tits and your reward is you get to watch, I dunno.

But I just really perfered miles stand alone game. Maybe it's a duel protagonist issue or something but I just enjoyed the more focussed story of miles, and it had more memorable side missions like when you got the worst music track of all time

But the journey there was far more intresting, the music museum in this game was just cringe... like no one cares...

Solid 4/5, its compotent I just didn't enjoy it as much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom