• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sequel and Gran Turismo 7 are Cross Generation Titles

elliot5

PSB: How does PS4 factor into PlayStation Studios’ development vision? Is it still a focus internally for future game development?

Hermen: It very much is. You can’t build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that’d be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business.

Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
tenor.gif

leo-j

What I want to know is why we are getting such diminishing returns in these games? For example. I can argue days gone in ps4 pro looks better than returnal built ground up on ps5, and it also runs at a higher resolution. Returnal is just running at 60fps.

I haven’t seen any generational leaps visually from ps4/pro other than FR and resolution.

8GB ram - 16GB
HDD - SSD
1.8 TF - 10.3 TF

idgi?

Last edited:
The delay doesn't bother me. It's Covid related bullshit, but it's completely predictable. Everything is delayed. I think the cross gen part is more annoying. That last console generation has dragged on for too long. Take it out back. These consoles are orders of magnitude more powerful than last gen, and we're getting gimped visuals out of the gate.

Or maybe I just don't understand the development cycle, and these games need to be cross gen and were never not going to be cross gen for the budget they are given vs how many consoles are out there.

I AM very interested in seeing how these base PS4 versions look. The evil part of me hopes they look and run terribly. :p But hey, maybe all of this means 60FPS on the PS5. I'm all for that.

Last edited:

muteZX

Banned
As long as PS5 is the focus of development that makes sense. Make the game for the PS5 and pare it back to work with PS4. Works for PC.

native PS5 game /gfx, physics, AI/ and native PS4 game are 2 different games even if we are talking bout the same game .. cross gen Horizon, GoW, GT7 are primary only a PS4 games. PS4 is so weak ..

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
you guys owe me and Phil an apology.

last year i said crossing a generation takes a few years. Phil words got trolled non stop. 🤭

But no, you just believed the jimbo hype and made fun of the reality we spoke of.
Stop it. Sony always began next generation right away. Infamous 2nd son wasn't on ps3, neither was bloodborne or the order.

They always did next generation only games right off the bat with smaller games being cross gen.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony understands PS4 is over but not out of the bigger picture, hardcore gamers thinks this is a shot against PS4

last year i said crossing a generation takes a few years. Phil words got trolled non stop. 🤭

But no, you just believed the jimbo hype and made fun of the reality we spoke of.
I don't want to fuel console wars as it's not my thing and I own both next-gen consoles, but I believe apologies are in order to Phil Spencer and in more general to Xbox communities. The flak they received following Phil's comments about cross-gen and Jim's "we believe in generations" was absolutely massive.

yurinka

"We believe in generations"
We believe in generations.
We
Believe
In

b4493170b16cb8511e66b4713e04127e8ffb535b.gif

Generations
Yes, in the sentence where they said 'we believe in generations' they said they planned to support PS4 for at least 2 or 3 years more after the PS5 release. They also said they wanted PS5 games to take advantage of next gen stuff like DualSense features, 3D audio and so on. So it's what they are doing.

They never said they were going to avoid crossgen games and even less in the 'we believe in generations' interview.

Cross gen is NOT normal stop trying to normalize it

He's wrong, there are plenty of games released on both PS3 and PS4, both 1st party and 2nd party.

Sony understands PS4 is over but not out of the bigger picture, hardcore gamers thinks this is a shot against PS4
A few days ago Sony shown in a chart that they have almost 100 million monthly active users on PS4, and that's people who buys games and like half of them pay PS Plus.

Even if PS5 continues selling at gaming history record breaking levels, next year PS5 will continue being a tiny part of their userbase. There's a lot of 3rd party PS4 content for the next year or two and they can't increase the production of the chips too much, so the best choice for them is to continue milking PS4 until PS5 achieves a big enough userbase.

Last edited:

Renozokii

But ps5 has Astro bots, returnal, demons souls, and ratchet that are all next gen only and that’s just about half way into year one. I think this argument is kind of moot. PlayStation obviously invested a ton into making games that take full advantage of the ps5 hardware. If gran turismo has been in development for years and the ps5 version looks good enough who cares. The argument against Phil’s take is that his carries too much weight. The only next gen only exclusive title on the Xbox is the medium, a timed third party exclusive. That’s a bit of an issue.

We also already knew horizon and god of war would be cross gen, gt7 is only a bit of a surprise because every one here knows damn well that trailer looked next gen as fuck.

Last edited:

elliot5

I like the "cross gen isn't so bad, just pare it down like its done on PCs" commentary now that Horizon was shown with great visuals + this news, as if that isn't all of us have been saying regarding the Series S, except the Series S has the benefits of near identical CPU and SSD as Series X, unlike the slow HDD and shit CPU of last gen. :rolleyes:

longdi

Banned
Stop it. Sony always began next generation right away. Infamous 2nd son wasn't on ps3, neither was bloodborne or the order.

They always did next generation only games right off the bat with smaller games being cross gen.

Tbf my comment then was more towards 3rd parties.

So now i guess this is down to Jimbo and Herman. especially jimbo, he was SCEE finance guy, makes sense for such a decision.

longdi

Banned
So the dream about seamless travelling between worlds in GoW goes out of the window.
For GT7 it makes sense atleast, ssd doesn't change core gameplay in a racing game. It will be just faster loading, RT, better graphics etc., they can scale that back for PS4.

probably the sense of speed in a racing game?

Top Bottom