• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sequel and Gran Turismo 7 are Cross Generation Titles

Sony said they believe in generations which made people expect most if not all new games would be PS5 exclusive. Go check the god of war ragnarok thread and read the comments yourself.

Sony put a clear message out and backtracked

you can believe in generations and still release cross gen games

Sony is doing both cross gen and next gen exclusives

GG and SSM have been working on these games for years now. It’s much less chaotic to develop ambitious games with a fixed target...so they made a business decision to go with cross gen not only to reach a wider audience, but in the short term allow their teams to not worry about a moving hardware target.

next gen Horizon and God of War games only for PS5 would not be releasing this soon

elliot5

Series S has fewer teraflops than a PS4 Pro... You can't argue both sides of this, lol.
You have literally stated "there's nothing the PS5 can do the PS4 couldn't if you dial back the graphics enough".

The exact same thing is the case for Xbox Series X and S. Teraflop numbers don't matter because they're different architectures. The CPU and SSD are nearly identical and the graphics are the key differential that can be scaled down. That's what anyone that isn't arguing in bad faith have been saying from the beginning.

PS4 and XB1 hold back next gen because of their shit cpu and hdd. That doesn't mean games are automatically bad if they're cross gen. The same thing does not apply to X|S.

Last edited:

Loope

So wait, cross-gen holds next-gen back?

Glad we are finally on the same page. Took the competitors decisions to change them mindsets it seems. ;)
That you can't see the irony on your post is baffling. It's the Sony fanboys that have been going on and on about MS doing that, when their message was pretty clear from the very beggining, now that the shoe is on the other foot, they either resort to say that it's ok, have you seen HZD or that now Xbox fanboys are against crossgen games. Crossgen put the brakes on Halo, but not on Sony games, no sir.

Crossgen is just business 101, nothing wrong with it but it's far more cringy the way sony fanboys are acting in the face of this than the opposite. Kind of like Xbox fanboys spent months and months going on about the power difference, when it didn't came to fruition, sony fanboys had their share of "i told you so", now it's the same thing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That you can't see the irony on your post is baffling. It's the Sony fanboys that have been going on and on about MS doing that, when their message was pretty clear from the very beggining, now that the shoe is on the other foot, they either resort to say that it's ok, have you seen HZD or that now Xbox fanboys are against crossgen games. Crossgen put the brakes on Halo, but not on Sony games, no sir.

Crossgen is just business 101, nothing wrong with it but it's far more cringy the way sony fanboys are acting in the face of this than the opposite. Kind of like Xbox fanboys spent months and months going on about the power difference, when it didn't came to fruition, sony fanboys had their share of "i told you so", now it's the same thing.
The irony is that both sides do this shit depending on their approved PR. Not one is more cringe than the other. Both ardent fans are too invested in brands.

My stance, as I was speaking for myself in that post, is that cross-gen or lesser than a top model will always hold design decisions back one way or another. Glad some are now agreeing who fought tooth and nail otherwise. We have come full Halo, I mean circle.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned

But just look at the Halo and Forbidden West graphics and there is a clear difference in the effort put into the next gen versions. It's not that cross gen is bad it's about what you're prioritizing...

Loope

But just look at the Halo and Forbidden West graphics and there is a clear difference in the effort put into the next gen versions. It's not that cross gen is bad it's about what you're prioritizing...
There is, and it might not have to do with graphics only. Halo was never a looker in my opinion, i think it's strong points was always about the big arenas filled with enemies, vehicles etc. Even with this delay, i don't think you're going to see amazing graphics because that was never what Halo was all about. While Guerrilla is kind of in the forefront of amazing graphics first and foremost in every game they made.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
We keep repeating the same thing but these clowns see themselves as victims. Always. Zero reading comprehension and zero next-gen games. There was no lie. There was no backtracking.

There is no reasoning with them at this point. Let them.

You obviously didn't read the whole quote and just went with what people assumed online. You sound like a child.

not just me then

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

GG and SSM have been working on these games for years now. It’s much less chaotic to develop ambitious games with a fixed target...so they made a business decision to go with cross gen not only to reach a wider audience, but in the short term allow their teams to not worry about a moving hardware target.

next gen Horizon and God of War games only for PS5 would not be releasing this soon
Yeah all true, and that is fine but it isn’t what PlayStation fans were lead to believe. When Microsoft said they would release games on both Xbox one and the series consoles they got slammed on here for saying it. If Sony would of said they would of been releasing a good number of games cross gen it would of been praised. Double standards here

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The irony is that both sides do this shit depending on their approved PR. Not one is more cringe than the other. Both ardent fans are too invested in brands.

My stance, as I was speaking for myself in that post, is that cross-gen or lesser than a top model will always hold design decisions back one way or another. Glad some are now agreeing who fought tooth and nail otherwise. We have come full Halo, I mean circle.

I remember last year arguing against Xbox and for Sony over this issue, thinking (stupidly) that Sony were being honest about exclusivity on the new console.

I find it very disappointing that they have become just as bad as XBox in terms of being up front with the consumer.

Designing games for old machines does hold game development back. It doesn’t matter which console maker does it.

GuinGuin

Banned
There is, and it might not have to do with graphics only. Halo was never a looker in my opinion, i think it's strong points was always about the big arenas filled with enemies, vehicles etc. Even with this delay, i don't think you're going to see amazing graphics because that was never what Halo was all about. While Guerrilla is kind of in the forefront of amazing graphics first and foremost in every game they made.

I get what you're saying but that's still pretty unacceptable. With the amount of money Microsoft has their premiere franchise should look the part.

ManaByte

I'm a new user from the dying IGN boards. The only one trolling is you.
Sure Jan GIF

Not really given the specs of it. It's the same conversation. XSS doesn't just have a weaker GPU it also has less ram and slower ram. That's a lot that devs have to take into account.
Just like the RTX 3060 has less RAM and slower ram than the RTX 3090 yet some how the RTX 3060 isn't holding back PC development. On that front ALL Xbox games will be on PC so explain how the XSS and not low end PCs are the weak link.

CeeJay

Not really given the specs of it. It's the same conversation. XSS doesn't just have a weaker GPU it also has less ram and slower ram. That's a lot that devs have to take into account.
It's the same gen architecture for a different resolution target, it's already been discussed to death but you obviously don't want to hear it. So far the games that have come out for it have pretty much shown that and it's already proved a capable machine and on occasion even equaled PS5 on specs.

Totally different to cross gen with a decade old architecture...

GuinGuin

Banned
Just like the RTX 3060 has less RAM and slower ram than the RTX 3090 yet some how the RTX 3060 isn't holding back PC development. On that front ALL Xbox games will be on PC so explain how the XSS and not low end PCs are the weak link.

I think the games will scale. So will cross gen Playstation games which will see huge enhancements on PS5 despite starting development on PS4 dev kits.

GuinGuin

Banned
It's the same gen architecture for a different resolution target, it's already been discussed to death but you obviously don't want to hear it. So far the games that have come out for it have pretty much shown that and it's already proved a capable machine and on occasion even equaled PS5 on specs.

What games has it performed the same as PS5? None I've ever seen. It runs at a significantly lower resolution/frame rate in every head to head I've come across.

Riky

$MSFT

Xbox is now on a GDK with PC, until the minimum spec of the PC version goes beyond an RDNA2 GPU, Zen2 CPU and VA then it just fits into the scale of specs, all first party games are coming to PC.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Back on topic folks. But valiant attempts at trying to derail the thread with Xbox Series S talk.

If GOW and GT7 are cross gen games in 2022, will Sony even more sequels that are full PS5 only games in 2027? The generation would be ending.

They might not even make another GOW or GT after those 2022 games.

You might have to wait until PS6 only games. And that assumes that don't make it cross gen with PS5.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Back on topic folks. But valiant attempts at trying to derail the thread with Xbox Series S talk.

If GOW and GT7 are cross gen games in 2022, will Sony even more sequels that are full PS5 only games in 2027? The generation would be ending.

You might have to wait until PS6 only games. And that assumes that don't make it cross gen with PS5.
Eddie Murphy Yes GIF

GuinGuin

Banned

Now there is a troll job.

JLB

Banned

So what it means believing in generations then? Like yeah, I guess Sony believes in its new products, like Microsoft, Apple and Ouya.
What was implied at the moment was that there was going to be a cut off and mostly all games were going to be next gen exclusives, preventing previous gen to hold them back.

GuinGuin

Banned
So what it means believing in generations then? Like yeah, I guess Sony believes in its new products, like Microsoft, Apple and Ouya.
What was implied at the moment was that there was going to be a cut off and mostly all games were going to be next gen exclusives, preventing previous gen to hold them back.

It means not launching a 4 TFLOP console in 2020. I agree it was a low blow by jimbo though given they were definitely still planning to release cross gen games themselves just not for the entire generation.

nope, you just read way too much into the comment

but agreed, Sony should have been clearer about their messaging from the start

JLB

Banned
nope, you just read way too much into the comment

but agreed, Sony should have been clearer about their messaging from the start

Let me reiterate my question then: What the fuck means to believe in generations? I mean, go to the source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ing-that-can-only-be-enjoyed-on-playstation-5

"
One way to keep PS4 users engaged would be to make upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine, just like Microsoft is proposing with its Xbox Series X games being playable on Xbox One. Yet Ryan says that's not something PlayStation is interested in doing.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"

Last edited:

You're being disingenuous.

The only games that have similar performance between XSS and PS5 are games that are running in BC mode on PS5, thus not even able to take full advantage of the hardware.

The way Sony execs have been operating is all based on lies. First they say whatever the fanboys want to hear but then a few weeks later they do the opposite. First was the “I believe in generations”, after the “PS5 exclusives only on PS”.

Let me reiterate my question then: What the fuck means to believe in generations? I mean, go to the source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ing-that-can-only-be-enjoyed-on-playstation-5

"
One way to keep PS4 users engaged would be to make upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine, just like Microsoft is proposing with its Xbox Series X games being playable on Xbox One. Yet Ryan says that's not something PlayStation is interested in doing.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"

and Sony has made such games

ManaByte

and Sony has made such games

People's problems aren't with Sony making niche titles like Demon's Souls, Returnal, and Destruction All-Stars (LOL) exclusive to the PS5. Their anger comes from the big SYSTEM SELLERS being cross-platform. Ratchet has never been a system seller, even back in its origin on the PS2.

But major games like God of War and Gran Turismo? Those are the games that people would camp out to get a PS5 for. And they don't have to do that if they have a PS4.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

So
Your saying that PS5 games like god of war and horizon are only versions of PS4 games?

Top Bottom