• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sequel and Gran Turismo 7 are Cross Generation Titles

lmao you cant make this stuff up.

BTW, Pretty sure Cory isnt directing GoW2. I understand hes working on a new IP and thats what Alanah is working on. They were hiring a new art director for this new IP recently. That might be their next gen game.

Dont disagree with anything you said, but just wanted to point out that they will eventually make their money back. PS5 is the fastest selling console of all time. It will end up selling 20 million in the first year and those are the people who buy games on day one anyway. Mark my words, by the time GT7, Horizon and GoW come out, PS5 would be well over 25 million units sold. These games will sell 4 million copies on PS5 in their first month. Guaranteed.

Yes, games cost $100 million, but they also sell way more than they used to. I remember the first month sales of Ratchet and Uncharted. 79k and 111k. Now these games will sell 2-3 million in the first month.

Cory probably made a lot of high level decisions for GOW2 and is still involved somewhat for crucial decisions, but I agree he's probably not the director. I am sure he made the call on crossgen.

While I agree that Horizon and God of War would still be profitable on PS5 only, they would likely be giving up a massive amount of potential profit. They are franchises that are just too big to not do ironman numbers.

Bottom line is I'm still happy we are getting some next-gen only games. And after God of War, GT7, and Horizon...I legitimately am not expecting much more if ANY cross-gen titles from their biggest AAA studios....although I could be wrong if Insomniac is insane and has Spider-Man 2 ready for 2022....possibly crossgen if that's the case. But that should be the absolute LAST LOL.

11505.jpg
No. I won't out him because the last time I did that, the guy got permabanned (RIP Krisprolls)

Three

Gold Member
seeing that Sony big titles are pushed to 2022 or later.

anyone thinks MS may cut off the old gen faster than Sony now?

god riddens to the jaguar cores and hdd. 🤭

Phil does not have that 110m users to service, but he does have xcloud, he does have a cheaper SS.
All his subscribers are on xbox ones and he's selling way less consoles than Sony and Nintendo so no. what planet would he cut off old gen faster? He may decide to say you can stream your new games only but then a) not many people would like that and b) he literally showed you that he will not cut off old gen by releasing no next gen only games. What is wrong with people?

supernova8

Banned
seeing that Sony big titles are pushed to 2022 or later.

anyone thinks MS may cut off the old gen faster than Sony now?

god riddens to the jaguar cores and hdd. 🤭

Phil does not have that 110m users to service, but he does have xcloud, he does have a cheaper SS.

I'd say let Xbox actually release some new games before we throw them any sliver of a bone.

Come on, they cannot even get Halo out of the door and that looks like the epitome of a cross-gen/last-gen game shoehorned into the new generation.

Last edited:

mxbison

Where's the "Xbox Series S is going to hamstring the generation" crowd at now? If you thought Xbox Series S is weak, imagine having your games be cross-gen with an OG PS4 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Well that doesn't make the first statement any less true.

Couldn't really know that Sony is straight up lying with their "generations" approach.

Kagey K

Banned
I'd say let Xbox actually release some new games before we throw them any sliver of a bone.

Come on, they cannot even get Halo out of the door and that looks like the epitome of a cross-gen/last-gen game shoehorned into the new generation.
This shit is going to age like milk.

Hopefully you get all the "kicks" in while you can.

Or mods cam keep deleting threads pretending embarrassing shit like this didn't happen.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
No, just locked. Necro bumps have always been locked into the ether.

You have plenty of new threads to spurge out to your fanatical heart's content.
That is a lie.

Not spurging, was having a good conversation with another user until it vanished (not locked.)

It was full on deleted.

It was also not the only case of dissapearing threads today.

Why delete them instead of just locking them as you Insisted?

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
This shit is going to age like milk.

Hopefully you get all the "kicks" in while you can.

Or mods cam keep deleting threads pretending embarrassing shit like this didn't happen.

Trust me I would love for Xbox to release some games and to be excited about Xbox. I still think 360 is one of the most well-rounded, well supported consoles ever (ignoring RROD of course, which got me twice).

I just don't think the two players are in the same position right now. Sony has released a couple of new exclusive titles, there's R&C incoming very shortly and probably at least one by Christmas (maybe Horizon if we're lucky). If Xbox cannot get a single new, big game out by the end of 2021, are people wrong to ask "what the hell are they doing??"

Of course yes Jimbo played us and many of the new Playstation games are cross-gen after all (mildly bitter about it), but hey at least they're actually coming out. Better to have cross-gen games than no games.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Trust me I would love for Xbox to release some games and to be excited about Xbox. I still think 360 is one of the most well-rounded, well supported consoles ever (ignoring RROD of course, which got me twice).

I just don't think the two players are in the same position right now. Sony has released a couple of new exclusive titles, there's R&C incoming very shortly and probably at least one by Christmas (maybe Horizon if we're lucky). If Xbox cannot get a single new, big game out by the end of 2021, are people wrong to ask "what the hell are they doing??"

Of course yes Jimbo played us and many of the new Playstation games are cross-gen after all (mildly bitter about it), but hey at least they're actually coming out. Better to have cross-gen games than no games.
If you think they aren't going to have a game by Xmas?

I don't know what to say.

Let's wait 10 days and talk about this again.

After all it seems like after R&C there is nothing but time....

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
All his subscribers are on xbox ones and he's selling way less consoles than Sony and Nintendo so no. what planet would he cut off old gen faster? He may decide to say you can stream your new games only but then a) not many people would like that and b) he literally showed you that he will not cut off old gen by releasing no next gen only games. What is wrong with people?

as explained, the lower users baggage can be a push factor for Phil to make some games Series only, no need to wait after 2023.

A huge PR win for Xbox. A lot of One users are on GP savings already, a good push to buy the new Series.

jimbo wanted to sell to their existing ps4 users and that is why ps5 is handled differently from ps4/3/2/1/psp/vita wrt to game development.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
He lied to move more PS5’s smh….

I think it’s been a shit show over at MS also but atleast Phil has been honest from day one about everything.

But what Sony did was a new low imo and it’s weird because they didn’t need to say all of those lies to sell the PS5, it would have sold out anyway.
He didn't though. The quote everyone is using is this

One way to keep PS4 users engaged would be to make upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine, just like Microsoft is proposing with its Xbox Series X games being playable on Xbox One. Yet Ryan says that's not something PlayStation is interested in doing.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

That is saying they will make PS5 only games that benefit from it which they have been doing. We've had 4 next gen only titles from them and Ratchet releases this week. Never have they said there will be no cross gen games ever. They even released crossgen games already too, Miles Morales, Sackboy, etc so I'm not sure why people are losing their shit now. Especially after the Horizon FW showing.

Kagey K

Banned
He didn't though. The quote everyone is using is this

That is saying they will make PS5 only games that benefit from it which they have been doing. We've had 4 next gen only titles from them and Ratchet releases this week. Never have they said there will be no cross gen games ever. They even released crossgen games already too, Miles Morales, Sackboy, etc so I'm not sure why people are losing their shit now. Especially after the Horizon FW showing.
We would use the old thread as reference, to show that's not how people took it.

But mods felt it was best to delete it, so I guess only your revisionist history stands.

It's certainly not how it was explained or how anyone here ran away with it.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Question: What Sony game after Ratchet and Clank do we think will be next-gen only? Clearly it would probably be after Ragnorok so maybe later next year? Would TLOU Remake be next-gen only? What else they have in the pipeline coming in the next 2 years I wonder because, from a first-party perspective, ND, Suckerpunch, and Bend are gonna take a bit to release another game.

I think Spider-man 2 in 2023 will be the start of the next-gen only phase coming in and cross-gen fading out.

Question: What Sony game after Ratchet and Clank do we think will be next-gen only? Clearly it would probably be after Ragnorok so maybe later next year? Would TLOU Remake be next-gen only? What else they have in the pipeline coming in the next 2 years I wonder because, from a first-party perspective, ND, Suckerpunch, and Bend are gonna take a bit to release another game.

I think Spider-man 2 in 2023 will be the start of the next-gen only phase coming in and cross-gen fading out.
I'd also bet on Spooderman 2. I expect the TLOU Remake to be a lazy remaster and thus definitely cross gen.

Kagey K

Banned

Looks like there is lots of time to figure it out.

Especially since so many are in favor of cross gen releases now.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
as explained, the lower users baggage can be a push factor for Phil to make some games Series only, no need to wait after 2023.

A huge PR win for Xbox. A lot of One users are on GP savings already, a good push to buy the new Series.

jimbo wanted to sell to their existing ps4 users and that is why ps5 is handled differently from ps4/3/2/1/psp/vita wrt to game development.
I don't get it. How would you justify a big budget game used to sell a sub to promote a console making a loss by going exclusive? Makes no sense.

I mean for FS2020 I can understand it was a PC game hence why it didn't even get a Xbox one release when it came out due to the difficulty in porting. they will release that old game now on Series X/S but why would they having sold less consoles and having most of their subscribers on xbox One be able to justify a huge budget game to be next gen only (on a console they are losing money on) when Sony having sold far more PS5s is still releasing its big blockbusters on PS4?

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
We would use the old thread as reference, to show that's not how people took it.

But mods felt it was best to delete it, so I guess only your revisionist history stands.

Peoples interruptions of it and the subsequent deletion of some thread that I'm sure had a valid reason for deletion I couldn't care less about but what "revisionist history" are you referring to? Everything I've said is factual. From the direct quote to what they actually did (releasing a mix of cross gen and next gen only games).

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Peoples interruptions of it and the subsequent deletion of some thread that I'm sure had a valid reason for deletion I couldn't care less about but what "revisionist history" are you referring to? Everything I've said is factual. From the direct quote to what they actually did (releasing a mix of cross gen and next gen only games).
Yeah I can see how you interpret it that way and don't get it all twisted.

You must be one of the honest ones that see through it all.

Right?

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
I'd also bet on Spooderman 2. I expect the TLOU Remake to be a lazy remaster and thus definitely cross gen.
i mean considering tlou remake is based on the tlou2 it could surely be cross gen. but the fact sony gave the project to naughty dog and weren't impressed by what the visual art studio or whatever had to show, I think justice could be done considering it a remake if they reach the fidelity of the e3 2018 gameplay.

but yeah, seemingly insomniac is the only next-gen studio lol!!! kudos to them. looking forward to ratchet next week

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
Yeah I can see how you interpret it that way and don't get it all twisted.

You must be one of the honest ones that see through it all.

Right?

Seriously, wtf are you talking about?
You're not my obsessive gf so quit acting like one. What on earth do you expect me to respond to this? No I'm dishonest and blind as a bat, what wierd path are you taking this on?

longdi

Banned
I don't get it. How would you justify a big budget game used to sell a sub to promote a console making a loss by going exclusive? Makes no sense.

I mean for FS2020 I can understand it was a PC game hence why it didn't even get a Xbox one release when it came out due to the difficulty in porting. they will release that old game now on Series X/S but why would they having sold less consoles and having most of their subscribers on xbox One be able to justify a huge budget game to be next gen only (on a console they are losing money on) when Sony having sold far more PS5s is still releasing its big blockbusters on PS4?

Because they can if they wanted to. 🤷‍♀️

It is a long play worth taking to acquire more users and more fans loyalty.

Kagey K

Banned
It 100% is IMO. This is a direct quote from Phil about the xbox Series launch from the article:

That's why they have concentrated on selling the service to current xbox one users and PC through crossgen/cross platform games. That's why they have gone back and simply updated old games for the Series consoles. The focus isn't the Series consoles it's about focusing on the GaaS games, keeping them updated and selling dlc/mtx content. They don't care what you're playing on. You're paying the same fee regardless and if anything you buying
Probably going to leave this here. It's different somehow now I suppose tho.

Now that both of them are making games for the old gen for money.

And the rest of your predictions didn't come true either.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
Because they can if they wanted to. 🤷‍♀️

It is a long play worth taking to acquire more users and more fans loyalty.
They are selling their XSX already, their XSS users aren't people who care about cutting edge next gen only games. What would they gain? More users of what? They want more subscribers. You would be lucky to get any games that look justifiably next gen.

Three

Gold Member
Probably going to leave this here. It's different somehow now I suppose tho.
What about it, what's different? Their strategy is gamepass. They released their games as crossgen games because they are trying to get people to sign up. They released no games since XSX launch because it didn't matter. What are you disputing?

Sony's strategy is different but they charged an extra $10 to make up for the hardware loss and dev cost. What has this got to do with misinterpretation of
"we believe in generations" to mean "we will have no cross gen games" especially as Miles Morales showed this to be false already. Big budget games mean a big loss if next gen only because the economies of scale do not work. Doesn't mean that the strategies do not differ.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
They are selling their XSX already, their XSS users aren't people who care about cutting edge next gen only games. What would they gain? More users of what? They want more subscribers. You would be lucky to get any games that look justifiably next gen.

gains good word of mouth from the core GP subs. moving core GP subs to Series consoles to ensure continual subb'ing.

Who knows outside of Halo:I, MGS has been already working on next gen only games for release in 2022-2023. 🤷‍♀️
With the bad PR sony gotten, MGS definitely can drop those jaguar cpu and come away as a winner in our eyes.

Imo jimbo going 3 years of cross-gen is something novel. That should not be the benchmark.

Last edited:

John Wick

People take things out of context all the time. Some twist things to suit their agenda.
There are factors here at play that maybe previously didn't apply to the previous gens. All the previous consoles except PS4 all had wildly different architectures. Making crossgen games very difficult thus forcing Sony to switch to the new platform much quicker. Even though Sony always supported their consoles far better than MS. With PS4 and PS5 being similar it's a no brainer to keep providing that 110 million+ base more games. It's not like they have plenty of PS5s to sell them is it?
With Subscription services like PS+ it makes even more sense to keep catering to the PS4 customers.
It's funny how Xbox owners are twisting this when it's a known fact Sony keeps on supporting their previous consoles a lot longer than MS who abandoned the OG Xbox for the 360 and the 360 for the One.

Allandor

It's funny how Xbox owners are twisting this when it's a known fact Sony keeps on supporting their previous consoles a lot longer than MS who abandoned the OG Xbox for the 360 and the 360 for the One.
Sry, that part is just wrong. MS supported the xb360 quite a while, even with ports of new titles like Forza Horizon 2.
The original xbox was ... well really abandoned quite fast.

But you are right about the architecture. PS3 -> PS4 was a massive change. Not only the CPU was totally different, also the nvidia GPU would have made ports a bit more complicated. E.g. I never understood why they didn't port GT6 for PS4. The problem might just be, that GT5 & 6 were delayed so many times and the engine was so optimized for PS3 that it was really hard to port that game. They even needed a long time for GT Sport, which really lacked content on release.
Now porting between the generations is much easier (thx to compatible hardware) and as They can't produce & deliver as much as they wanted (and the demand is even higher) they just won't abandum the PS4 player base while the base is so big and still active.

Also most problems for ports go away by reducing framerate from 60 (PS5) to 30 on PS4. Reducing resolution to 1080p (or even lower) also helps a lot and the consoles are no longer that far apart (expect for the storage-speed).

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
The 360 version of Forza Horizon 2 was a completely separate game as well, plus the likes of Titanfall and Rise of The Tomb Raider were also on 360 late in its life.

Last edited:

John Wick

The 360 version of Forza Horizon 2 was a completely separate game as well, plus the likes of Titanfall and Rise of The Tomb Raider were also on 360 late in its life.
Riky PS3 had plenty of 3rd party content after launch of PS4. Except for Forza Horizon 2 the other games were 3rd party.

John Wick

Sry, that part is just wrong. MS supported the xb360 quite a while, even with ports of new titles like Forza Horizon 2.
The original xbox was ... well really abandoned quite fast.

But you are right about the architecture. PS3 -> PS4 was a massive change. Not only the CPU was totally different, also the nvidia GPU would have made ports a bit more complicated. E.g. I never understood why they didn't port GT6 for PS4. The problem might just be, that GT5 & 6 were delayed so many times and the engine was so optimized for PS3 that it was really hard to port that game. They even needed a long time for GT Sport, which really lacked content on release.
Now porting between the generations is much easier (thx to compatible hardware) and as They can't produce & deliver as much as they wanted (and the demand is even higher) they just won't abandum the PS4 player base while the base is so big and still active.

Also most problems for ports go away by reducing framerate from 60 (PS5) to 30 on PS4. Reducing resolution to 1080p (or even lower) also helps a lot and the consoles are no longer that far apart (expect for the storage-speed).
It's not wrong at all. You named one title lol. Last two years of 360 compared to PS3 for first party is massively different.

What about it, what's different? Their strategy is gamepass. They released their games as crossgen games because they are trying to get people to sign up. They released no games since XSX launch because it didn't matter. What are you disputing?

Sony's strategy is different but they charged an extra $10 to make up for the hardware loss and dev cost. What has this got to do with misinterpretation of
"we believe in generations" to mean "we will have no cross gen games" especially as Miles Morales showed this to be false already. Big budget games mean a big loss if next gen only because the economies of scale do not work. Doesn't mean that the strategies do not differ.
MS released Gears Tactics on console when the XSX|S launched. Historically MS hasn't released a huge stable of 1st party games with their console except maybe the original Xbox. I think the X1 had Forza, Crimson Dragon, and Killer Instinct. Three games and 2 they didn't develop internally. The big difference is that Xbox hasn't launched with backwards compatibility nor Game pass before either so it's not like they needed a huge stable of 1st party software. They didn't need it then and they didn't need is with the Series consoles either. They have always leaned heavily on 3rd parties. It is always funny to talk about how many games a system launched with when it is way more important to see how the console is supported during its entire generation.

People keep saying people 'misinterpreted' Jim Ryan. He said "One way to keep PS4 users engaged would be to make upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine, just like Microsoft is proposing with its Xbox Series X games being playable on Xbox One. Yet Ryan says that's not something PlayStation is interested in doing." He straight up said they were not interested in making upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine like MS. How is that people's fault to not read that to mean that God of War, Spiderman, Horizon Forbidden West, and Gran Tourismo 7 are all hitting PS4?

John Wick

Jim Ryan/Sony should have been more careful with their phrasing. They contradicted themselves by saying they intend to support PS4 post PS5 launch and then we believe in generations. Maybe due to Covid and shortages of PS5 led to more PS5 games being crossgen?
It doesn't matter either way because judging by HFW these games will still be fantastic.
At the end of the day Xbox can't say much because they haven't even managed to even get any decent first party output out. Nevermind if it's crossgen or not.
I suppose we find out on 13th.....

Three

Gold Member
MS released Gears Tactics on console when the XSX|S launched. Historically MS hasn't released a huge stable of 1st party games with their console except maybe the original Xbox. I think the X1 had Forza, Crimson Dragon, and Killer Instinct. Three games and 2 they didn't develop internally. The big difference is that Xbox hasn't launched with backwards compatibility nor Game pass before either so it's not like they needed a huge stable of 1st party software. They didn't need it then and they didn't need is with the Series consoles either. They have always leaned heavily on 3rd parties. It is always funny to talk about how many games a system launched with when it is way more important to see how the console is supported during its entire generation.

People keep saying people 'misinterpreted' Jim Ryan. He said "One way to keep PS4 users engaged would be to make upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine, just like Microsoft is proposing with its Xbox Series X games being playable on Xbox One. Yet Ryan says that's not something PlayStation is interested in doing." He straight up said they were not interested in making upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine like MS. How is that people's fault to not read that to mean that God of War, Spiderman, Horizon Forbidden West, and Gran Tourismo 7 are all hitting PS4?

Xbox one launch MS games alone:

Forza Motorsport 5
Ryse: Son of Rome
Killer Instinct
Dead Rising 3
Crimson Dragon
Powerstar Golf
Zoo Tycoon

There was not a single XSX game at launch in comparison. MS released Gears Tactics 6 months before XSS/XSX.
Why bullshit worse than you think Jim Ryan is? Not that I see the relevance here anyway.

Because he was answering the question about SKUs. Whereas MS had games where they were forward compatible games with Series X enhanced on it and all their games were crossgen PS had separate PS5 and PS4 SKUs and PS5 only games like Demons Souls, D All Stars, Returnal, Ratchet etc which were not playable on PS4. They still had Miles Morales as crossgen though so anybody who interpreted that as no crossgen games was already setting themselves up for disappointment.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Xbox one launch MS games alone:

Forza Motorsport 5
Ryse: Son of Rome
Killer Instinct
Dead Rising 3
Crimson Dragon
Powerstar Golf
Zoo Tycoon

There was not a single XSX game at launch in comparison. MS released Gears Tactics 6 months before XSS/XSX.
Why bullshit worse than you think Jim Ryan is? Not that I see the relevance here anyway.

Because he was answering the question about SKUs. Whereas MS had games where they were forward compatible games with Series X enhanced on it and all their games were crossgen PS had separate PS5 and PS4 SKUs and PS5 only games like Demons Souls, D All Stars, Returnal, Ratchet etc which were not playable on PS4. They still had Miles Morales as crossgen though so anybody who interpreted that as no crossgen games was already setting themselves up for disappointment.
I don't know why you need to bring Xbox into this really and compare Sony's messaging with what Xbox are doing. Xbox have been very clear with their own messaging and largely stuck to what they said they were going to do AND taken a lot of flak on here for it in the process. They stated on numerous occasions that they were going generationless, their software stack has allowed for games to transition effortlessly to the new hardware and take full advantage of it straight away sometimes without the developer even having to do a thing, smart delivery. The Series X does just feel like a continuation of the Xbox One with the same UI and almost identical controller and could have quite easily have been called an Xbox One and been considered part of that family of consoles. You can unplug your external HDD from Xbox One, plug it in to Series X and it will carry on working with the games on there. The game saves are seamless between old and new machines and you can even now play any game on Series X and then immediately go and carry on playing on an old Xbox One. Everything about Xbox since 2013 has been about the steady continuation where you can play all of your old library and bring it with you no matter where you want to play, you can play across console, PC and mobile with a subscription and game ownership that travels with you. Xbox always said that they planned to have a long cross-gen period where they will release games across their consoles with day and date on PC as well.

Xbox have had clear messaging and a clear plan which they have stuck to...

Sony on the other hand differentiated themselves against that and put themselves out there as the brand new hardware with a brand new controller that would offer brand new experiences, they sold the PS5 as more of a traditional new console generation where you leave the old gen behind. Sony have indicated one thing with their messaging and done something different.

Pull n Pray

Banned
How cheap do you have to be to want to play inferior versions of games to save a couple bucks?
There's a difference between being cheap and being frugal. Not everyone is rolling in money. And if you are on a tight budget, waiting for the price of PS5 to come down makes a lot of since. Not only will you pay less, but the new version will likely also have a smaller form factor and a better storage solution. And you can buy for cheap all the games that released while you patiently waited. Singleplayer games don't go stale like multiplayer games do.

GuinGuin

Banned
There's a difference between being cheap and being frugal. Not everyone is rolling in money. And if you are on a tight budget, waiting for the price of PS5 to come down makes a lot of since. Not only will you pay less, but the new version will likely also have a smaller form factor and a better storage solution. And you can buy for cheap all the games that released while you patiently waited. Singleplayer games don't go stale like multiplayer games do.

If you buy a PS5 at retail even if you are "frugal" you can resell it if another version comes on the market in 4 years.

Pull n Pray

Banned
No, he didn't say that. Christopher Dring (the journalist interviewing him) said that.

Jim Ryan said, "We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features."

However, we have no idea what question this statement was an answer to. Dring doesn't tell us. And that context makes a lot of difference.

GuinGuin

Banned
No, he didn't say that. Christopher Dring (the journalist interviewing him) said that.

Jim Ryan said, "We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features."

However, we have no idea what question this statement was an answer to. Dring doesn't tell us. And that context makes a lot of difference.

Features and benefits: Haptics, resistive triggers, tempest 3D audio, SSD with brand new I/O system and dedicated hardware texture decompression. The man delivered. The question is what will the competition do to make their next gen games stand out?

John Wick

I don't know why you need to bring Xbox into this really and compare Sony's messaging with what Xbox are doing. Xbox have been very clear with their own messaging and largely stuck to what they said they were going to do AND taken a lot of flak on here for it in the process. They stated on numerous occasions that they were going generationless, their software stack has allowed for games to transition effortlessly to the new hardware and take full advantage of it straight away sometimes without the developer even having to do a thing, smart delivery. The Series X does just feel like a continuation of the Xbox One with the same UI and almost identical controller and could have quite easily have been called an Xbox One and been considered part of that family of consoles. You can unplug your external HDD from Xbox One, plug it in to Series X and it will carry on working with the games on there. The game saves are seamless between old and new machines and you can even now play any game on Series X and then immediately go and carry on playing on an old Xbox One. Everything about Xbox since 2013 has been about the steady continuation where you can play all of your old library and bring it with you no matter where you want to play, you can play across console, PC and mobile with a subscription and game ownership that travels with you. Xbox always said that they planned to have a long cross-gen period where they will release games across their consoles with day and date on PC as well.

Sony on the other hand differentiated themselves against that and put themselves out there as the brand new hardware with a brand new controller that would offer brand new experiences, they sold the PS5 as more of a traditional new console generation where you leave the old gen behind. Sony have indicated one thing with their messaging and done something different.
MS changed their message when they were getting outsold by a big margin last gen. They changed their tactics just like they did after the initial reveal of the X1.
Businesses have to be agile and change if they need to. Bringing games to PC is money that was being left on the table.
Sony have PS5 only games and crossgen games too. Jim Ryan should have kept his mouth shut. I would have been worried if they were all crossgen but they aren't. It just makes commercial sense to develop the PS4 versions along with PS5 as they are so similar etc.

Three

Gold Member

How have I brought Xbox into this? Try reading the thread and my posts. I say I don't see the relevance of all this xbox talk even. It was Kagey K who quoted me from a completely different thread bringing in xbox into this as if to show some kind of hypocrisy. Yes their messaging has been clear. I didn't say otherwise.

Pull n Pray

Banned
If you buy a PS5 at retail even if you are "frugal" you can resell it if another version comes on the market in 4 years.
I don't think it will be 4 years.

So sell the PS5 that you paid $500 to someone for $250, and then buy the PS5 slim for $400? This sounds like the opposite of what a frugal person would do.

Why do you concern yourself with how other people spend (or don't spend) their money? Try not to be such an elitist, judgmental asshole.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
That is a lie.

Not spurging, was having a good conversation with another user until it vanished (not locked.)

It was full on deleted.

It was also not the only case of dissapearing threads today.

Why delete them instead of just locking them as you Insisted?
The thread was never deleted.

It's right here, locked.

Along with the other necro bump.

Top Bottom