• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass on Playstation: could this happen ?

GamePass on Playstation ?

• Yes

Votes: 60 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 216 69.5%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 35 11.3%

• Total voters

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

Could you see this happening ? I'm sure this it's the ultimate goal for Microsoft and with the next Elder Scrolls, DOOM and Fallout "only on Xbox or machine that support Game Pass" as Phil said (and this is an interesting wording imo).
I don't know what's to loose for Sony, I really think it would be a win/win situation but maybe some Gaffer can offer a different and interesting point of view ?

Portugeezer

It would only be possible for MS published games. I don't think Sony would want Gamepass to eat into PlayStation royalties.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
In december, Jim Ryan already hinted that we will hear more about the PSNow overhaul (Gamepass competitor). So i do not think it will happen.

Who knows in the future?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Slim to none simply because they share a lot of content from third parties. The revenue split wouldn't leave a lot for it to make sense for everyone involved. But, a deal can always be made if people want to get it done.

cormack12

Gold Member
From a business point of view it makes sense of the service is abstracted from the hardware. Having said that, it may offer gamepass but not ultimate, or withhold the premium first party titles for 6 months or a year. They still need to make their own players feel they are getting value.

Having said that even if MS did want this I doubt Sony would be accommodating. This would cause confusion with ea play needing to be linked etc. Plus it would eat away at any digital sales.

Stuart360

In december, Jim Ryan already hinted that we will would hear more about the PSNow overhaul (Gamepass competitor). So i do not think it will happen.

Who knows in the future?
And thats another reason why it would never happen. Sony are almost certainly going to do their own version of Gamepass imo.

No, it's a lose/lose for both parties.

Why would MS split the profit from a subscription with Sony? You'll soon be able to subscribe to GamePass on mobile, any potato PC or touch-screen device, smart TVs with XCloud. It'll be easier than ever. Even with the inexpensive Series S.

Why would Sony allow Game Pass? MS always says they would allow Game Pass on a device if they can get the entire Xbox ecosystem on it (achievements, friends list, MS store). Essentially, if a PS user subscribed to Game Pass on PS5, and wanted to buy the game off it, would they go to the Xbox Store or the PS store? If they go to the Xbox store, Sony would get its third-party game sales on Game Pass cannibalized. If they go to the PS store... then what's the point of putting Game Pass there in the first place if MS won't get the money off the sale?

It's a lot of headache where neither two will ever agree on. In fact, Sony themselves are probably working on their own Game Pass competitor (like the PlayStation+ collection on PS5, which they will no doubt beef up in the future). There is zero chances they'd want a competing subscription service on their own platform.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Once upon a time I remember many saying no to EA ACCESS. Also saying Minecraft Bedrock wouldnt happen because of the XBL login.

So, you never know.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
And thats another reason why it would never happen. Sony are almost certainly going to do their own version of Gamepass imo.

Yeah, but since they are both working together in the cloud space. You might see something between the 2 Cloud services in the future.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
unknown.png

Could you see this happening ? I'm sure this it's the ultimate goal for Microsoft and with the next Elder Scrolls, DOOM and Fallout "only on Xbox or machine that support Game Pass" as Phil said (and this is an interesting wording imo).
I don't know what's to loose for Sony, I really think it would be a win/win situation but maybe some Gaffer can offer a different and interesting point of view ?
Would you see Sony’s games on Xbox?

Astorian

Not as long as MS makes consoles, even if they don't I'm still not sure it'll happen considering EA and Ubisoft's services aren't on consoles.

Stuart360

Yup you do live in your own world....

You can download PS2, PS4 and PS5 games OR stream them with PS Now. The only games you must stream are the PS3 games that don't have a PS4 version.

Well i dont own a playstation, and PSNow on PC was just streaming (obviously). I wonder why PSNow did so bad then compared to Gamepass.

Why would Sony ever allow the money from games being played on PlayStation go directly to Microsoft instead of Sony?
In return Microsoft allows PSNow on Xbox. Microsoft exclusives are only available on Gamepass, PlayStation exclusives are only available on PSNow. Everyone subscribes to both, both parties get access to more subscribers and thus more revenue, both parties win.

DaGwaphics

Yup you do live in your own world....

You can download PS2, PS4 and PS5 games OR stream them with PS Now. The only games you must stream are the PS3 games that don't have a PS4 version.

We need to go back and see what was on PSNow and how that service operated the day GamePass launched in order to see who has started to copy whom.

TheMan

Nah

On the other hand, Sony already has PSNOW but for some reason it's always felt unattractive. Likely cause it doesn't feature new releases. But, if they could build that up they would have a formidable alternative.

Warablo

Microsoft would love to have Game Pass on the Switch and Playstation, but Sony would be stupid to allow it.

Markio128

I could be missing a trick here, but how in gods name would we be able to download an xbox game to the PS5? Nobody would want a streaming only service, so it’s a whopping NO from me

sainraja

The only way this would happen is if Microsoft was willing to share profits for people subscribing through PlayStation but I highly doubt that we will ever see Game Pass on the PlayStation. Would Microsoft say no to the possibility if it were to open? I don't doubt that but it's unlikely.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Course it could. Do you think MSFT cares if you own their hardware? They want you sub'd up on GamePass no matter what you play on, which includes Sony consoles.

Top Bottom