• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass on Playstation: could this happen ?

GamePass on Playstation ?

• Yes

Votes: 60 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 216 69.5%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 35 11.3%

• Total voters

phil_t98

#SonyToo
There isn't over 100 million PC gamers with PC's comparable to PS5 and likely still won't be any time soon.

apparantly sony fans on here have decent enough PC’s to play all series x games as they dont need to buy an xbox. So it surprises me when you say there isn’t enough pcs to play that level of game

S0ULZB0URNE

apparantly sony fans on here have decent enough PC’s to play all series x games as they dont need to buy an xbox. So it surprises me when you say there isn’t enough pcs to play that level of game
No they don't.
XSX and PS5 are significantly more powerful than what most PC gamers builds are.

ReBurn

Gold Member
There isn't over 100 million PC gamers with PC's comparable to PS5 and likely still won't be any time soon.
There's not 100 million PS5's, either. But by the time there is there will probably be that many PC's at least as powerful as a PS5. A decent chunk will be more powerful.

S0ULZB0URNE

Wow really??!! So why do so many sony fans say they dont need an xbox to play X game because they have a pc , am shocked 😳
Surely many PlayStation gamers have capable gaming PC's.
Id wager most that shout it on forums don't care about XB enough to buy the consoles or games on the PC.

Yeah, but since they are both working together in the cloud space. You might see something between the 2 Cloud services in the future.
That's not how this works.
Azure functions independently to Xbox. Sony leveraging Azure's server capacity has nought to do with Xbox at all.

VAVA Mk2

Tired Stewie Griffin GIF by Family Guy

It doesn't make any financial sense to Microsoft and the 3rd party games on Gamepass. Only Sony will profit from that 30% cut.
Actually, it would make more sense for any 3rd party developer to just put his game on PS+
For Microsoft, gamepass is already too subsidized and a 30% cut to Sony will kill any hope of profits.

Last edited:
I don't think it will happen but I don't think it's as far out there as some people think. Sony do allow EA play (or whatever its called) on the PlayStation already and is basically the same thing (paying a subscription and getting access to games as part of that).

AmuroChan

MS would love to put GP on every device possible, but I think it'll be difficult for both sides to agree on the terms. I wouldn't say never, since they do have a strategic partnership with each other since 2019. PS Now is running on Azure and the two companies are also collaborating in the semiconductor and AI space. So who knows?

M

Mr.Vodoo

Unconfirmed Member
I do not see why not. Those who are saying Game Pass would eat into Sony's revenue stream aren't looking at the alterative method for this to work. Microsoft and Sony can always come to a deal where Game Pass only contain games made and published by Microsoft.

Game Pass can only be successful with a large userbase, therefore, I bet in the future Microsoft will approach Sony with the idea. And why would they say no? The days of Microsoft wanting to keep its dog food to itself are long dead, and Sony is going down the same road of changes as well with the release of PS exclusives on PC.

So here is my prediction. Sony will create its own Game Pass competitor, and in the distant future when both platforms have amassed a decent size userbase, they will cross the forbidden line. Game Pass on PS as a streaming service, and Sony's competing service on Xbox and PC also as streaming service.

No more exclusives!

Derktron

Banned
I guess there’s going to be more threads on this lol 😂 never seems to amaze me. Just like you have to get a Nintendo console for their games, and sometimes Sony now, with them touching the waters for PC and now Microsoft with PC, Xbox and mobile. Now you are forced to get an Xbox or PC and maybe mobile.

It would be foolish of Sony to allow Gamepass. It would be one thing if it was like EA access and it was just on publishers games, but Gamepass has a ton of games from different publishers. That would cut their sales in those games significantly. Also, how would that revenue split work? If Sony is getting their typical 30%, with Microsoft getting the remainder then that isn't very beneficial. On the other hand if they wanted a bigger split then why would Microsoft want to do it? Also how would DLC purchases work? Are we talking streaming only?

HoofHearted

Why not?

If Xbox is going to fully transition to a service then It would make sense to have their content on as many platforms as possible.

Why the fuck wouldn't you want to have Xbox games playable on PlayStation? That's more games, more choice and more choice is good.

I'm more concerned with cross-play as standard on all future games. Now that would be a nice thing to have.
Because.... then what would everyone complain about on these forums?

No console wars. All games available on your choice of console, PC, device... exclusives be damned. Cross play available everywhere.

A true gaming utopia.. the Unicorn. The Golden goblet within your grasp. Double rainbows!!!!!

Whirled Peas.

It can be accomplished - who’s with me - lets unite and make it happen!!!!!!

HoofHearted

As long as Sony is the market leader Gamepass will never be on PS for the same reason you cant buy a netflix sub on iphone. Platform owner taking 30% off the top means each sub loses money.
Eh ... you might want to catch up on where Netflix is offered... (hint:EVERYWHERE)

I watch Netflix all the time on all of my apple devices.....

Well - I’m not sure about Apple Watch - but everything else (iPhone, iPad, MBA, Apple TV4k) ... definitely...

ACESHIGH

Banned
Yup you do live in your own world....

You can download PS2, PS4 and PS5 games OR stream them with PS Now. The only games you must stream are the PS3 games that don't have a PS4 version.

Too bad it's in like 20 countries and streaming only on PC. It's a way inferior alternative to gamepass.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Absolutely not, for mutiple reasons.

1. It would pull ps owners who don't own any xbox hardware away from 1st party sony games/ sales.

2. It highlights the competitions best games

3. For ms, it takes away control and moves people away from xbox hardware. If you know you get all the best games on ps5, nobody buys an xbox. Come ps6 time, Sony goes from taking 20% and then demands 50% of gamepass revenue a bleeds them dry as they have no hardware.

Azurro

Banned
lol, of course MS would want this to happen, their wet dream is to have Gamepass on Playstation. They are constrained by their modest userbase on Xbox, which I understand is declining even with the XSX and XSS. PC gives them an avenue for growth, but I don't see that many PC gamers focusing on Gamepass rather than continue to add titles to their Steam library.

Sony would never allow this, of course, they'd be stupid to let a competitor take all their revenue away, they'd have to be desperate.

Last edited:

Rathalos

Banned
Gamepass is incredible value, whenever a big new title hits I just sub for a month and finish it for the price of a burger. And now with all those Bethesda games? Shit, it's just unbeatable. It's a great time to be a PC gamer, with Xbox smashing gamepass and Sony finally seeing the value in the platform there's just so much gaming goodness to enjoy.

Shmunter

No, but there could be a cut down version containing only MS games, same concept as EA Play.

3rd party to a 3rd party cannot be sub packaged.

Last edited:
You really love lick microsoft's ass while making a ton of money, don't you? I only care what is the best for me and a monopoly is not a good situation for the consumers.

It will never happen...

I don't think people understand how much Sony wants to take MS out the console business completely, they have proven time and again that they have zero interest in playing ball with MS.

Sony still has a great track record and solid lineup of first party games that they know people will pay $70 for so they are not even thinking about game pass right now
They use azure for gaming, so they don't want microsoft out of business.

Top Bottom