• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fidelity>Framerate. Come at me.

SeraphJan

How the did you get that from me pointing out that you're full of shit and don't have a clue what you're talking about?
By the fact that you pointed out absolutely nothing other than trash talking, triggered by your own imagination

Last edited:

marjo

High resolution at low frame rate is such an unbalanced and wasteful use of resources. Here's a visual analogy to help you understand why it's dumb:

1080p @ 30 fps:
isolated-scrawny-caucasian-adult-man-wearing-underwear-picture-id471450019

4k @ 30 fps:

Leg-Day-STACK-.jpg

1440p @ 60 fps:

stock-photo-athletic-strong-man-poses-and-showing-strained-muscles-of-his-naked-body-on-gray-background-499226428.jpg

Liamario

Banned
I'm playing a game. Gameplay has a bigger effect on the appeal of a game than graphics ever will.
If graphics are more important to you than gameplay, you'd probably be happier watching a movie.
There is no game out there that isn't improved by increasing the frame rate. There are numerous games where improving the graphics will not improve the gameplay or immersion.

I'm exasperated with this '60fps or nothing' attitude that has infected gaming recently. Sure it's nice if a game runs at a steady 60hz but I'd far far rather the developers get their game looking as nice as possible at a steady 30fps than sacrifice fidelity. I didn't pay all that money for a PS5 just to play smoother running PS4 games.

Who's with me? You can't all be framerate fanatics surely?

I agree with you. I prefer fidelity mode in almost every game.

RCU005

The issue with frame rate junkies is that they don’t care if the game they are playing on their max out PC or console is a N64-looking game as long as it runs at 60fps or more.

They don’t really like to compromise 1 fps.

Banned
The issue with frame rate junkies is that they don’t care if the game they are playing on their max out PC or console is a N64-looking game as long as it runs at 60fps or more.

They don’t really like to compromise 1 fps.

The issue with graphics junkies is that they don't care if the game they are playing on their favourite plastic box is a Killzone 2-controlling game or if it basically plays itself as long as it looks good when they go into photo mode.

They don't really like to compromise their ability to go onto twitter and tell everyone how great their favourite toy's games look when standing completely still.

Last edited:

RCU005

The issue with graphics junkies is that they don't care if the game they are playing on their favourite plastic box is a Killzone 2-controlling game or if it basically plays itself as long as it looks good when they go into photo mode.

They don't really like to compromise their ability to go onto twitter and tell everyone how great their favourite toy's games look when standing completely still.

I respect your opinion wholeheartedly, but you are wrong about Killzone 2! The game is a master piece and controlled great. It was so bad that people just wanted every FPS to control like COD (I think they still do).

I must admit I prefer graphics but that’s only because I am not capable of distinguish fps. Never have and hopefully never will. To me, all games play the same. But not to a degree of having games playing themselves LOL! But I do know some like this, too.

Liamario

Banned
I respect your opinion wholeheartedly, but you are wrong about Killzone 2! The game is a master piece and controlled great. It was so bad that people just wanted every FPS to control like COD (I think they still do).

I must admit I prefer graphics but that’s only because I am not capable of distinguish fps. Never have and hopefully never will. To me, all games play the same. But not to a degree of having games playing themselves LOL! But I do know some like this, too.
You may not notice it, or care. But everyone can see the difference. I'm assuming you're viewing the world in no more than 30fps in real life. That sounds like a brain injury or something.

RCU005

You may not notice it, or care. But everyone can see the difference. I'm assuming you're viewing the world in no more than 30fps in real life. That sounds like a brain injury or something.
Hopefully is that I don’t notice it or care. I believe is also a once you see it, can’t unsee it situation, so I prefer to not notice it now.

Gunstar75

Neo Member
We can have both. It's been proven time and time again by competent dev teams.

But the amount of effort required for that isn't worth it in the eyes of most publishers/developers so 30fps it is on consoles.
I agree we can have both but with the PS5 Pro. I never understood why so many are against a PS5 Pro. Eventually developers want to push more fidelity at the expense of frame rate, so PS5 Pro can keep us in 60 fps neighborhood with improved fidelity.

Not only that, but it also removes the feeling of driving a tank thanks to the increased input latency. Especially games where you have to aim suffers from 30 fps.
Horizon FW you have to aim and the input latency is extremely low. It plays just fine at 30 fps. However, look at Cyberpunk 2077 or Controlin their 30 fps modes- they're practically unplayable due to input lag.

GermanZepp

In my experience never ever EVER the 'fidelity' turned the better option over performance. But I'm eager to be proven wrong.

Liamario

Banned
Hopefully is that I don’t notice it or care. I believe is also a once you see it, can’t unsee it situation, so I prefer to not notice it now.
In general it also affects controller response as well. It may be the type of games you like to play. I grew up where games were something you beat, rather than experience. Game performance is much more important for that than visuals.

hinch7

The big issue I have with playing on 30 fps is that its so sluggish and unresponsive to play. In addition to looking so ugly in motion when you need to move and pan the camera about a lot. Which feels like I'm watching a slideshow with a lot of judder.

If there's an option the higher the better without compromising image quality I usually go for that. Like, I'd take a capped 40fps with near highest settings over capped 30 highest fidelity setting/s. And any setting that give better is better than 30 FPS.

Unless the game is slower paced, narrative driven; say a point and click adventure game, then graphics may take priority as better visuals may add to the experience than just more frames. That being said my priority would generally be - Image quality > Performance > Graphics (visuals) granted 30FPS is too much of a compromise for me.. given that you are given a choice of different presets/settings.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

I have no idea why graphics fanatics even defend or prefer 30 fps. The biggest visual boost a game can get is the frame rate upgrade. A game that moves at 60 fps is a million times more pleasant to look at than the same game at 30 fps. Frame rate is one of the key factors as to why so many older games have aged so well; they are still just as smooth as modern games. We're already past the level where resolution makes for the largest difference. Honestly I haven't seen a single current-gen console game that looks better in motion at 30 fps than 60 when given the choice. I can understand arguing for 30 fps if you want your game to have the craziest physics engine possible or something like that but that's often not even the case. It's usually the people who want their games to look prettier, as if games running at 30 fps in motion aren't inherently jarring to the eyes.

tassletine

Depends on the game.

A cinematic game doesn't benefit much from 60fps since the general public think that anything above 30fps looks shitty for films -- so by association it actually cheapens the effect they are aiming for.
Having everything super smooth and clear becomes an artistic choice in that context.

If it's gameplay related then 60fps is the way to go as games require good reactions. Something like Sekiro is pretty unplayable at 30fps and as far as I'm concerned and should never have been released in that state.

rofif

Banned
Play ff7 remake on ps5.
Set it to fidelity mode.

Congratulations!
You can now experience super shitty screen stuttering. In 4K!! 🤩😍😘🤗
There is no stuttering in 30fps mode. The game is pretty good for 30fps mode actually but 1440p mode looks ok too

There is no stuttering in 30fps mode. The game is pretty good for 30fps mode actually but 1440p mode looks ok too

Yep. The 60 fps mode is kind of distracting. The 30 fps mode feels solid. Other games I will use the 60 fps mode but not FF7R. Can't really have any distractions while fighting Weiss.

I have a 1080p TV so there's no res difference.

Knightime_X

It was stuttering only on pc at launch. I don't know if they fixed it.
It was fine on ps5
Are you sure?
When I get off work I'll check again.
I clearly remember noping right back to performance mode immediately after trying out fidelity.

darrylgorn

High resolution at low frame rate is such an unbalanced and wasteful use of resources. Here's a visual analogy to help you understand why it's dumb:

1080p @ 30 fps:
isolated-scrawny-caucasian-adult-man-wearing-underwear-picture-id471450019

4k @ 30 fps:

Leg-Day-STACK-.jpg

1440p @ 60 fps:

stock-photo-athletic-strong-man-poses-and-showing-strained-muscles-of-his-naked-body-on-gray-background-499226428.jpg

1080p 60fps until the end ...or maybe 5 more years.

rofif

Banned
Are you sure?
When I get off work I'll check again.
I clearly remember noping right back to performance mode immediately after trying out fidelity.
I've not played it on launch on ps4 never.
I only played native ps5 version few months after it came out and not a single stutter in both modes

Knightime_X

I've not played it on launch on ps4 never.
I only played native ps5 version few months after it came out and not a single stutter in both modes
So I verified. Yep, graphics setting runs like butt compared to performance.
It doesn't stutter, BUT definitely nowhere near as smooth as performance.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Theres no fidelity in 30fps unless youre not standing still.
Once you look arround it starts to look like blurry mess.
40fps is acceptable so id be ok with quality/40fps modes in less dynamic games.

Sure bro, what a blurry mess...

LOL

Crayon

If the consoles could do a full suite of raytracing effects (haven't tried metro), I'd pick 30fps in a bunch of games. Idk what cyberpunk you played, but mine didn't exactly require cat-like reflexes.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If the consoles could do a full suite of raytracing effects (haven't tried metro), I'd pick 30fps in a bunch of games. Idk what cyberpunk you played, but mine didn't exactly require cat-like reflexes.
I enjoyed Cyberpunk but what holds that game back is not its graphics or framerate, the game is just buggy. even with 1.6 patch its was rare for me have session with this game without something bugs out.

This my first time play AAA high budget game that this buggy, I cant even imagine how it was when it first released.

FRRRRAAAAAAAMMMMEEEE RAAAAAAATE!!!

Though I can get behind your good looks at 30 fps argument.
I think it just depends on the game to be honest.
I play fast paced games that demand a fast reaction (Bayonetta, Curse of the Dead Gods, War Frame), and 60 fps is reliable so I don't die over some non-sense.
On slower games that are not quite so demanding (Genshin Impact, Remnant From the Ashes, etc), but I get what you mean.

Last edited:

Hydroxy

No sir you're wrong. You can enjoy a game regardless of graphics if game is good but you cannot enjoy a good game is frame rate is low or unstable. Hence in my opinion frame rate will always be more important than graphics. Although for some games frame rate do not matter like point and click games, turn based games, etc. But most other games i would prefer 60fps over better graphics. Graphics anyways have become so good it doesn't matter. Also this is my point of view on PC. For consoles like PS5 obviously this shouldn't be an issue in the first place, you can easily do both 60fps and good graphics. 30fps lock on PS5 should be a crime.

rofif

Banned
No sir you're wrong. You can enjoy a game regardless of graphics if game is good but you cannot enjoy a good game is frame rate is low or unstable. Hence in my opinion frame rate will always be more important than graphics. Although for some games frame rate do not matter like point and click games, turn based games, etc. But most other games i would prefer 60fps over better graphics. Graphics anyways have become so good it doesn't matter. Also this is my point of view on PC. For consoles like PS5 obviously this shouldn't be an issue in the first place, you can easily do both 60fps and good graphics. 30fps lock on PS5 should be a crime.
No sir you're wrong.
I can enjoy a game anyway no matter what but I launch Bloodborne and it's a 1080p aliased mess without even hdr.
But it plays and controls great... and it's 30fps.
30fps is not an issue.

Crayon

I enjoyed Cyberpunk but what holds that game back is not its graphics or framerate, the game is just buggy. even with 1.6 patch its was rare for me have session with this game without something bugs out.

This my first time play AAA high budget game that this buggy, I cant even imagine how it was when it first released.

I played the 1.5 version on PS5 and had good luck with it. There were bugs but not enough to seem especially bad. Had 3-4 crashes over 100 hours and some little graphical things that cleared up in a minute. One flying car and one man who spawned in the sky

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I played the 1.5 version on PS5 and had good luck with it. There were bugs but not enough to seem especially bad. Had 3-4 crashes over 100 hours and some little graphical things that cleared up in a minute. One flying car and one man who spawned in the sky
I recently finished the game and I think put around 70 hours and I only had 2 crashes for my entire playthrough but most of bugs kind gets in the way immersion that this game trying very hard to achieve.

Bugs exist in every game, especially in open world games but is no where near as often as Cyberpunk 2077. Night city is very detail, alive and fun to explore but those bugs really stand out like a sore thumb.

I wish the experience little more smoother and less buggy, but for most part I enjoy my time with the game even tho I’m not exactly fan of WRPGs.

Who's with me? You can't all be framerate fanatics surely?
The argument "60 fps or bust" usually comes from PC gamers who play on a platform where making a steady fps game with equal frame pacing is a huge challenge. Therefore their argument actually becomes: "no more that 1 frame drop per two frames".
Sadly, the current consoles are pretty close to PC thus PC developers are working on console titles and the bias towards "we cannot avoid dropping frames, let's jack up fps instead" is there.
On a fixed hardware it's much easier to make a game where you have 1 frame drop per 1000 frames. And 30 fps feels pretty ok for people who are not biased.

Top Bottom