• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield 30fps cap “not a sign it’s unfinished” claims God of War Ragnarok dev

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
nfiF8XA.jpg

The decision to cap Starfield’s framerate at 30FPS has been met with a mixed response from fans, but there’s been support for the move from a developer who worked on one of the best looking games of the last twelve months.

Dannie Carlone is a senior staff environmental artist on God of War Ragnarok, and he was responding to YouTuber DreamcastGuy who had made a comment calling Bethesda’s upcoming space RPG ‘unfinished’: “Game dev here, big fan btw. Wanted to clarify it’s not a sign of an unfinished game. It’s a choice. 60fps on this scale would be a large hit to the visual fidelity. My guess is they want to go for a seamless look and less ‘pop in’. And of course, your (sic) right to dislike the choice.”

The comment seemed to go down well with the OP, with DreamcastGuy later retracting his earlier statement in a follow-up apology tweet and mentioning that several other game developers had also chimed in. “A LOT of very nice game developers have explained to me why Starfield is 30FPS and I take back my “OMG THIS GAME IS UNFINISHED” take. I still wish the game was 60fps on consoles, but now I understand why it isn’t, at least not yet.”

Given everything we saw set to be included in the game during the recent Starfield Direct, most people have been fairly understanding that Bethesda would have to make some technical compromises in order for the game to run on the console’s hardware limitations. Of course, it’s not the only first party Xbox game to run afoul of the 30FPS limit in recent months, so it’s still a sore spot for a number of members of the Starfield community. But as Tears of the Kingdom’s success seems to have proven, looks aren’t everything.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
An advanced video game with ship building, space combat, RPG mechanics from previous bethesda games, detailed visuals, and people want it to be 60FPS on a measly console... Come on now

If you were lead to believe by Xbox marketing that everything will be 60fps, you got played

Last edited:

Fbh

Some people think optimization is just magically getting the game to run better with no sacrifices.
Now sure sometimes you can optimize the code, find new solutions and use new tech to improve things. Like Horizon Forbidden West with patch 1.16 really did improve the look of performance mode a lot without any drawbacks (that I'm aware of.

But generally "optimization" is actually reducing the scope, or features, or visuals to achieve better performance.
But then people will bitch that the scope, features or visuals aren't as good as they expected.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
People were rightly shittting on Spencer's comment. He could have handled it a mile better but he fluffed his lines and created another mess. 30fps is not the end of the world and it definetely doesn't mean it's unfinished.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Pretty certain I’ve seen a number of people mocking 30fps being a design “choice”.

Even a Sony developer has to step in to straighten people out.

A.Romero

I understand people not knowing about game development but it's a whole other thing to complain as if they did.

Of course it is a choice. They could get it to run at 120FPS if they wanted (at the expense of many things, of course). However, in case people haven't realized it yet, the market values graphics over a high framerate. They have the data folks, they don't make these decisions blindly.

Buggy Loop

An advanced video game with ship building, space combat, RPG mechanics from previous bethesda games, detailed visuals, and people want it to be 30FPS on a measly console... Come on now

If you were lead to believe by Xbox marketing that everything will be 60fps, you got played

If peoples want 60 fps, and complain to the point of bothering to go on twitter for it… just buy a PC ffs 🤦‍♂️

Creeping Parks And Recreation GIF

Banned
Yeah but GAF said it was lazy devs!

Who to believe!?

confused season 4 GIF by Outlander

it's not not lazy devs, it's devs that are so full of themselves that they don't allow console users to use the same lower graphics settings that PC users will have access to, in order to play the game at a higher framerate.

devs that are so fucking behind the times that they seemingly didn't register that the Xbox consoles supported 120hz and VRR with low framerate compensation since the One S launched in 2016.

not allowing the player to unlock the framerate and/or chose lower graphical fidelity for better performance is simply not acceptable on modern consoles.

does Square Enix give a shit that their Performance mode doesn't run at a steady 60fps? no... and they have more reason for concern as the PS5's VRR doesn't cover anything below 48fps in FF16.

as long as a game has the same, or a better performance profile as Elden Ring, then having an unlocked framerate on Series X is 1000 times better than locking it to 30fps, thinking you know better than the players... the same players that are constantly fixing your fucking games after launch Bethesda!

Last edited:

Loxus

The only reason for not having a performance mode is hardware limitation, which lead to the decision to design the game solely around a fidelity mode.

Other than that, I can't see why they couldn't reduce the resolution and graphics to achieve a performance mode, even if it's 1080p/60.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
The only reason for not having a performance mode is hardware limitation, which lead to the decision to design the game solely around a fidelity mode.

Other than that, I can't see why they couldn't reduce the resolution and graphics to achieve a performance mode, even if it's 1080p/60.
phil spencer says it is not a hardware limitation

mansoor1980

Gold Member
And you still believe Phil after all these years?

If it isn't a hardware limitation, why can't the game run at 60fps?
i dont believe him , he is philnocchio.
todd howard said in the deep dive that the unlocked frame rate was erratic/uneven so they just locked it to 30fps with the best visual fidelity

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So basically,

"60 FPS would be a large hit to the fidelity, and other sacrifices would have to be made, so they decided not to butcher their game"

No Fucking Shit.

Literally exactly what have I been preaching for years.

Mods, remove my tag. I just speak facts.

Knightime_X

Its more a sign its a massive game that the current Xbox Series can't handle solid 60 fps and an even bigger sign those who play only on console could use a Pro Series X

Looking Season 6 GIF by This Is Us
Just release a whole new console at that point.
Unless it's a massive jump in power, there's little to no need for PRO if you already own an SX.
For $500 - $600 it needs to be 2.5x-4x as strong and there is no way THAT'S gonna happen.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Oh boy

We have yet another game dev coming out and vindicating what I have been saying.

60fps requires too much sacrifice.

Sacrificing gameplay, art, fidelity and scope all for ... framerate is unimaginably stupid. And selfish.

Cope. Or buy a goddamn PC. I am so done with this 60fps cheerleading nonsense. STFU and let devs make the games they want.

rofif rofif lets have a drink.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
it's not not lazy devs, it's devs that are so full of themselves that they don't allow console users to use the same lower graphics settings that PC users will have access to, in order to play the game at a higher framerate.

devs that are so fucking behind the times that they seemingly didn't register that the Xbox consoles supported 120hz and VRR with low framerate compensation since the One S launched in 2016.

not allowing the player to unlock the framerate and/or chose lower graphical fidelity for better performance is simply not acceptable on modern consoles.

does Square Enix give a shit that their Performance mode doesn't run at a steady 60fps? no... and they have more reason for concern as the PS5's VRR doesn't cover anything below 48fps in FF16.

as long as a game has the same, or a better performance profile as Elden Ring, then having an unlocked framerate on Series X is 1000 times better than locking it to 30fps, thinking you know better than the players... the same players that are constantly fixing your fucking games after launch Bethesda!

This part I actually agree with you on (other than the full of themselves stuff). I agree that there's no harm in at least allowing the user to choose to unlock framerates if they'd like to. It also future proofs the game so that it could theoretically run at a locked 60+fps on future consoles.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Oh boy

We have yet another game dev coming out and vindicating what I have been saying.

60fps requires too much sacrifice.

Sacrificing gameplay, art, fidelity and scope all for ... framerate is unimaginably stupid. And selfish.

Cope. Or buy a goddamn PC. I am so done with this 60fps cheerleading nonsense. STFU and let devs make the games they want.

rofif rofif lets have a drink.

FFXVI (and Jedi Survivor, remember that?) are trash at 60fps. FFXVI looks like a PS3 game in Perf mode, but completely next-gen in 30fps.

Top Bottom