• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield dev laughs at games media outlets asking for PS5 codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PR director might want to ask themselves why people would make that mistake in the first place. It's a strong indicator that they've failed to shift perception of Starfield as a multiplatform Bethesda game to that of an XBOX Games Studios exclusive. If members of the enthusiast press are still getting confused, you can only imagine how much more confused the general buying public would be. With it being a new IP that was largely unpublicised at the time of the acquisition, this is a double fail for Mr Frary and his team, whose responsibility it is to make sure there's no confusion around such things.

I'm betting this doesn't happen so much with other big console exclusives. Way to show yourself up for being bad at your job.
Yeah right, who knew? 🤣

StueyDuck

Eh, I'm not sure you can draw that conclusion. I don't know anything about the guy, someone in his family might be married to a Ukrainian, or his family might be able to trace their family line to there, or he just isn't a fan of people being murdered because a world leader thought he could get away with a land grab, any number of other reasons. IMO, a small gesture of support for an invaded country or a minority group isn't reason to discount someone's opinion. But, in these crazy times, maybe I'm wrong and it's better to not say anything, not least because you might find out your neighbours are nazis.
Putting a flag on your public social media isn't anything but showmanship 🤣.

You support Ukrainians by supporting Ukrainians, put your money where your mouth is. Putting a flag on your bio hasn't saved anyone's life, but providing food has.

I actually personally have a friend who has volunteered to fight there and it's awful. Me putting a flag on my profile doesn't protect him and we both know it. It would actually be more insulting if I did that than actually support the Ukrainians through Non profits and charities

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

You support Ukrainians by supporting Ukrainians, put your money where your mouth is. Putting a flag on your bio hasn't saved anyone's life, but providing food has.

I actually personally have a friend who has volunteered to fight there and it's awful. Me putting a flag on my profile doesn't protect him and we both know it. It would actually be more insulting if I did that than actually support the Ukrainians through Non profits and charities

I wish your friend all the best and hoping that they gets home safe. That won't have an affect on any outcome of course, as you might point out, but nonetheless, I hope things go well for them.

Sorry you feel that nobody should show support for Ukraine via any means other than sending money/food or picking up a rifle, but I think that some people who are able to send money or aid or support may be spurred on if they see that lots of people think a cause is in some way important to them. Putting a little flag on your social media - which for most people is going to be how they can reach the largest number of people is a way to show that.

Like I said, I don't have a flag on my social media, but I don't think badly of people who do.

StueyDuck

I wish your friend all the best and hoping that they gets home safe. That won't have an affect on any outcome of course, as you might point out, but nonetheless, I hope things go well for them.

Sorry you feel that nobody should show support for Ukraine via any means other than sending money/food or picking up a rifle, but I think that some people who are able to send money or aid or support may be spurred on if they see that lots of people think a cause is in some way important to them. Putting a little flag on your social media - which for most people is going to be how they can reach the largest number of people is a way to show that.

Like I said, I don't have a flag on my social media, but I don't think badly of people who do.
Lol twisted words there hey 🤣 fun at parties I imagine.

There's a difference between showing support for Ukraine and using the current hot topic on your social media profile... if you can't tell the difference between those two things then I don't know what to say.

Putting a flag on social media is just essentially saying "hey look at me, aren't I cool" it's literally in the name social media... as always you wanna prove you care then do something meaningful and actually help people. You can even volunteer at a local charity sending care packages and helping them pack parcels or something, if you truly care about something you will find any way possible to help.

You will never convince me that doing something for social media isn't entirely for personal gain, it's literally what the platform is designed for.

We've seen it all from covid to Palestine to LGBT to BLM to metoo and so on, this guy will have a new flag or symbol in a couple of years just like everyone who does it on Twitter who isn't literally Ukrainian.

If you are Ukrainian then you wear that flag with pride and make everyone see

Robb

Gold Member
Doesn’t surprise me tbh. I assume/hope it’s mainly publications that are not very gaming centric though..

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Lol twisted words there hey 🤣 fun at parties I imagine.

There's a difference between showing support for Ukraine and using the current hot topic on your social media profile... if you can't tell the difference between those two things then I don't know what to say.

Putting a flag on social media is just essentially saying "hey look at me, aren't I cool" it's literally in the name social media... as always you wanna prove you care then do something meaningful and actually help people. You can even volunteer at a local charity sending care packages and helping them pack parcels or something, if you truly care about something you will find any way possible to help.

You will never convince me that doing something for social media isn't entirely for personal gain, it's literally what the platform is designed for.

We've seen it all from covid to Palestine to LGBT to BLM to metoo and so on, this guy will have a new flag or symbol in a couple of years just like everyone who does it on Twitter who isn't literally Ukrainian.

If you are Ukrainian then you wear that flag with pride and make everyone see

Have a nice day!

Why is this so funny to him? It's not like a PS5 version wasn't in the works before the acquisition happened.

Didn't Sony try a deal for Starfield like they did with the other 2 flop games, but MS intervened and offered more?

willothedog

Why is this so funny to him? It's not like a PS5 version wasn't in the works before the acquisition happened.

Didn't Sony try a deal for Starfield like they did with the other 2 flop games, but MS intervened and offered more?
They were smart with their money and backed those heavy hitters Forspoken and Babylon's fall instead.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

You, like the journalists the PR guy is referencing might have missed the news, but it's been talked about quite a lot that Starfield isn't releasing on PS5.

He's saying "isn't it funny that a small group of people who are professionals know so little about their field that they don't know which platforms one of the most anticipated games of recent years will release on." I don't think he's sneering or trying to make PS5 fans feel bad or anything.

ReBurn

Gold Member

I think the thing is that Starfield was confirmed console exclusive back in mid-2021, so it has been widely known for over two years. Gaming journalists should know that. At a minimum they should do a Google search before asking to verify that the game is available on the platform they're asking to receive a code for. If they don't at least do that much they're probably not an outlet anyone should be listening to, anyway.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Or maybe it's the junior coordinator they hired last month, who knows fuck-all about games but needs to make a living? The person who has to hassle publishers and PR teams for codes to hand off to editors and freelancers to review - the person who gets snubbed and mocked by PR directors because they don't follow this industry and just thought they were doing the right thing. I can think of a million reasons why a mistake like this might be made: maybe even because you copy-pasted the request from another email and forgot to change the platform before you hit 'send' because it was Friday afternoon and your head wasn't really in it. Honest mistakes happen all the time. I can't think of a good reason why a well-paid PR director would be such a complete arse about it though, instead of kindly correcting the error and offering a PC/XBOX code.
Geezus. Imagine being Game journalist as your career and not knowing the platform a game is on and not even bothering to google check it if you don’t.

Sorry, that’s inexcusable. That’s competency in its lowest form.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Geezus. Imagine being Game journalist as your career and not knowing the platform a game is on and not even bothering to google check it if you don’t.

Pretty easy to imagine a situation where someone who doesn't cover games full time or even part time, or even very often, being asked to do a review once in a blue moon though. It was the end of August, people go on holiday.

It's a bit like being asked to do a car review, you've got a driving license and all you need to do is describe the interior, how smooth the ride is and say if the manufacturers mpg claim is about right. Could you do that if someone's on holiday? Do you know that the Citroen Chiquango doesn't have a diesel option? Course not, you don't pay attention to cars because you normally cover something else.

That sort of thing happens. I don't think it's Ryan McCaffrey calling up for an Xbox code for Forspoken or anything.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Pretty easy to imagine a situation where someone who doesn't cover games full time or even part time, or even very often, being asked to do a review once in a blue moon though. It was the end of August, people go on holiday.

It's a bit like being asked to do a car review, you've got a driving license and all you need to do is describe the interior, how smooth the ride is and say if the manufacturers mpg claim is about right. Could you do that if someone's on holiday? Do you know that the Citroen Chiquango doesn't have a diesel option? Course not, you don't pay attention to cars because you normally cover something else.

That sort of thing happens. I don't think it's Ryan McCaffrey calling up for an Xbox code for Forspoken or anything.
Could you not check google quickly before calling? Or is that unreasonable?

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Bethesda PR be like:
giphy.webp

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Most of these Twitter Murican profiles use the "hottest topic" flag just to promote themselves and get more views/follows

You just know he had a trans flag 2 years ago and probably a Palestinian one before that.

So the problem is that they aren't really supporting or caring about the war, it's just an ego boost on their personal profile.

I don't think anyone is saying supporting Ukraine who have been invaded is a bad thing....

Maybe I am wrong though 🤷‍♂️

I agree with the last line.

StueyDuck

have you read any game journalism lately, this wouldn't be a big shock to me with the abhorrent quality of journalism that occurs within the industry

Not sure which is wilder - Ripping on a guy for showing support for Ukraine or defending any media outlet asking for a PS5 code. I'd not only laugh but also ignore any future requests for game codes.

Elysium44

Banned

Why can't someone do both? It saddens me that you feel disdainful towards people showing solidarity for Ukraine by displaying their flag like that.

The man said a "handful" so probably 3 journalists who knows but now that means it's an indictment of all of journalism that's pretty sad he shouldn't have said anything he knew exactly what he was doing.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Could you not check google quickly before calling? Or is that unreasonable?

I just think it's a funny little story, but once again, I am surprised at how seriously everything must be taken. I imagine people have requested codes for the wrong platform in the past and that it'll happen again.

StueyDuck

Why can't someone do both? It saddens me that you feel disdainful towards people showing solidarity for Ukraine by displaying their flag like that.
twisting words, i don't show disdain to anyone showing support to Ukraine, stop and i really mean this, you and your cronies here, STOP trying to paint me as someone who doesn't support Ukraine in this war.

I don't believe Social media weirdos they are creeps and fuckwads and i don't take any of them seriously and never will.

The guy literally posted a complete nothing story, which professionally he should have just kept to himself, in order to be important and popular today on the internet. No one will convince me that it's both or that these people genuinely care the way they say they do vs how nice it is for them to look good on the internet. But i understand to many people internet points are important and we can't really see the difference between internet points and actually doing good. But hey if someone just slapping a flag on their profile makes you think their out there fighting the good fight then don't worry about me, go follow all these heroes.

again this guys job is literally the Director or PR. His job is to be captain social media, it's pretty obvious what's really important to them, themselves.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
twisting words, i don't show disdain to anyone showing support to Ukraine, stop and i really mean this, you and your cronies here, STOP trying to paint me as someone who doesn't support Ukraine in this war.

I don't believe Social media weirdos they are creeps and fuckwads and i don't take any of them seriously and never will.

The guy literally posted a complete nothing story, which professionally he should have just kept to himself, in order to be important and popular today on the internet. No one will convince me that it's both or that these people genuinely care the way they say they do vs how nice it is for them to look good on the internet. But i understand to many people internet points are important and we can't really see the difference between internet points and actually doing good. But hey if someone just slapping a flag on their profile makes you think their out there fighting the good fight then don't worry about me, go follow all these heroes.

again this guys job is literally the Director or PR. His job is to be captain social media, it's pretty obvious what's really important to them, themselves.

This forum is a form of social media. Making the blanket statement that people on social media are creeps etc. is silly and offensive.

I think this PR guy sounds like a dick but not because of his support for Ukraine or use of the flag in his Twitter bio. Also I'm not trying to paint you as someone who doesn't support Ukraine, but I will ask you to consider whether it helps Ukraine by being hypercritical of people who, in good faith, display a flag to show their solidarity. At worst, it does no harm.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Social media weirdos are creeps and fuckwads and i don't take any of them seriously and never will.

Twice you've accused people of twisting your words. Just my genuine reading, and I really mean this (on behalf of all cronies), but I don't think you've understood what's being said or you haven't expressed what you think clearly enough for me to understand why you're accusing people of twisting your words.

However, as a user of Neogaf, a social media platform (!) you have outed yourself as a weirdo, creep and fuckwad. So, that's interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom