• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Reload | Review Thread

P3R-Key-Art.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Persona 3 Reload

Platforms:
  • Xbox Series X/S (Feb 2, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 2, 2024)
  • PC (Feb 2, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Feb 2, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 2, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: ATLUS

Publisher: SEGA

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 89 average - 98% recommended

image.png

Metacritic - 89 average based on 52 Critic Reviews

image.png

Written Reviews

Atomix - Sebastian Quiroz - Spanish - 95 / 100
With a series of large and small improvements to its story, visuals and gameplay, Persona 3 Reload is the definitive version of the PlayStation 2 classic. This is one of the best remakes of the year.

COGconnected - James Paley - 87 / 100
Quote not yet available

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8.7 / 10
Persona 3 Reload is such a splendidly reworked version that it can almost feel like a completely new Persona. Gorgeous visuals, a perfectly remixed soundtrack, an improved battle system and a finally updated, albeit still in parts boring, trip through Tartarus really leave little to be desired when embarking on a trip to the Gekkoukan school. It's just a shame that the female protagonist and the additional chapter "The Answer" are still missing.

Chicas Gamers - Raúl Pinto - Spanish - Unscored
Persona 3 Reload is a turn-based RPG, as well as a narrative adventure, that brings back the acclaimed ATLUS game in a magnificent remake full of content. We find a game that is based on Persona 5 in terms of gameplay and appearance, having incredible gameplay and graphic style, in addition to a very good job with the old soundtrack and the new pieces introduced. The only problem is being completely overwhelmed by the FES content, an aspect that should not happen in a remake.

ComicBook.com - Logan Moore - 4.5 / 5
Persona 3 Reload definitely still feels dated in some areas, which isn't always expected from a modern remake. Despite this, some of these older aspects of Reload are what I came to appreciate the more that I played.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 9 / 10
Remaking a legendary title is often a recipe for failure, but Persona 3 Reload lives up to its legacy and wonderfully updates the 2006 gem.

Console Creatures - Matt Sowinski - Essential
Persona 3 Reload is a fantastic way to experience a classic. The graphical and gameplay enhancements are meaningful, while the base story still shines years later. While the missing features from FES and Portable are missed, this is the definitive way to experience Persona 3.

Dexerto - Noelle Corbett - 5 / 5
If the goal of Persona 3 Reload is to modernize a classic JRPG from the PlayStation 2 era for a new generation of players, then it is undeniably a success. While there may be some legitimate disappointment over the lack of content from Persona 3 FES and Portable, what is here is more than enough to cement Reload’s status as a solid remake that delivers the now definitive version of Persona 3.

Digital Trends - George Yang - 4.5 / 5
Persona 3 Reload is a win-win of a remake for old and new Persona fans alike.

FandomWire - Osama Farooq - 8 / 10
Persona 3 Reload takes the concept of remaking a beloved title and goes all the way through with it, especially when it comes to the visual finesse and the excellent presentation. The social simulation, interactions, and activities are some of the best ever put into a video game, making it feel immersive from the very first day at Gekkoukan High School.

There is always something to do in this wonderful city, ranging from the grand reopening of an old bookstore at the mall to heading to numerous restaurants to spend time with friends.

While the social links stand out as the undisputed highlight in Persona 3 Reload, it is the monotonous Tartarus and generic enemy designs that ironically slow things down and make the combat feel a bit dull compared to the other aspects of the game. The storyline is gripping and intriguing at the beginning and stays that way later on too, but because of the more serious elements that are never fully realized, it starts to lose its hold as time goes on.

However, the stunning animation, fluid gameplay, wide palette of character types, great soundtrack, and bustling setting make Persona 3 Reload a highly enjoyable remake.

GAMES.CH - Sven Raabe - German - 90%
Quote not yet available

GGRecon - Ben Williams - 5 / 5
Persona 3 Reload is one of the best remakes I’ve ever seen - a faithful but stunning reimagining of a classic JRPG that will please Persona veterans and newcomers alike.

With the only small negatives coming from Atlus’ dedication to recapturing the experience of the original, fans will without a doubt debate this being the best in the series after being reminded why Persona 3 is so spectacular.

GameBlast - Farley Santos - Portuguese - 9 / 10
Persona 3 Reload stands out as an example of how to modernize a classic, remaining faithful to the original while introducing significant innovations, such as revamped visuals, additional events and new mechanics. However, some concepts remain in the past, such as repetitive dungeon exploration. With its strengths far outweighing its flaws, the game is a recommended experience for both longtime fans and newcomers to the Persona series.

GameSpot - Jess Cogswell - 9 / 10
Persona 3 Reload succeeds in elevating an unforgettable story with smart combat changes and drastically improved visuals.

Gameblog - French - 9 / 10
Persona 3 Reload is an excellent remake and truly modernize the game by harmonize it with Persona 5. A truly impressive graphical leap that which brings new perspectives and brings some new features. The Tartarus still feels outdated and could have benefited from some tweaks. But Persona 3 Reload is still a memorable game and one of the best of the beginning of the year.

Gamer Guides - Chris Moyse - 75 / 100
One of the most esteemed and cherished RPGs of all time returns, smoother and smarter than ever. Unfortunately, Persona 3 Reload deals an incomplete hand, with disappointing omissions, stunted evolution, and a contentious price tag. Nonetheless, its indelible cast retain their infectious social spirit, set to break your heart and burn your dread all over again.

GamingTrend - David Flynn - 95 / 100
Persona 3 Reload is the best Persona game to date. It reimagines a fan favorite to be the best it can be, even if it does stumble in some ways. There are a few Social Links that could have used overhauling, and the game is a bit too faithful to the original in these ways. However, the overall experience is transcendent and took me straight back to hanging out with my virtual friends in high school, getting to know them and slicing up Shadows. There really is nothing out there like Persona.

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 9.5 / 10
Persona 3 Reload improves the original version of the game in so many ways, and is absolutely essential for all RPG fans.

IGN Italy - Majkol Robuschi - Italian - 9 / 10
Persona 3 Reload is a pleasure to play. Throughout the adventure you switch between fighting and school activities with great fluidity, and it is safe to say that the 2000s JRPG that defined the entire genre is back in better shape than ever.

IGN Spain - Esteban Canle - Spanish - 8 / 10
Persona 3 needed a facelift, and Atlus has delivered. This adaptation respects the source material, and brings an iconic title that now has the opportunity to reach many more people into the modern age.

Noisy Pixel - Bailey Seemangal - 8.5 / 10
Persona 3 Reload is a highly-anticipated remake that doesn't deliver on all fronts. Still, it tries to do so with plenty of meticulous care. The added character scenes and new activities make the experience even more compelling, while the modernized visuals and new English voice cast live up to this classic's legacy. However, some of the new gameplay features make the experience too easy and forgiving. Additionally, the exclusion of some elements, like The Answer from Persona 3 FES, makes this launch less definitive than it could have been.

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Buy
Persona 3 Reload is a triumph, considering the degree of difficulty that Atlus was challenged with when they decided to remake such a classic. Through a combination of thoughtful upgrades and leaving behind dated mechanics, this title is ready to satisfy the evolving taste of franchise fans while catering to newcomers and introducing them to the world of Persona.

Persona 3 Reload proves that you can have both a challenging and accessible JRPG without losing Persona 3’s core identity, as it refines the dated designs and systems of the original by bringing it in line with Persona 5, offering a modern take that stands tall among its peers.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 90 / 100
Quote not yet available

PlayStation Universe - Joe Richards - 10 / 10
Persona 3 Reload is a flawless reimagining of one of the most impactful RPGs of the PS2 generation and manages to carefully preserve just about everything I loved about the original game in a stylish bombastic package. The approach to modernising the gameplay is a masterclass and should be the gold standard going forward for RPGs of this ilk. For players who have only experienced modern Persona through Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal, you would be doing yourself a disservice by skipping this title. An equally wonderful cast and effective story lift this into one of the most impactful games that I have ever played and this new version means it can be enjoyed by a completely new generation.

Press Start - Harry Kalogirou - 9 / 10
Persona 3 Reload is a confident remake of a truly seminal RPG that cements itself as the definitive way to play Persona 3. It's clear that careful thought and deliberation has gone into every aspect of Reload to respect the legacy of Persona 3 while preserving its timeless charm and atmosphere. An absolute must play for any fan of the franchise, and a great point to jump in for those looking to take the plunge into Persona.

Prima Games - Patrick Souza - 10 / 10
Reload feels like a new game without deviating from the original. Almost every aspect has been improved, and it might be the new best point of entry for the series.

Push Square - Robert Ramsey - 9 / 10
Persona 3 Reload is a brilliant remake. In terms of gameplay, it's easily the best incarnation of a classic RPG, boasting countless quality of life and mechanical adjustments that place it alongside the outstanding Persona 5 Royal. Storytelling enhancements make the plot even more impactful, and the remade visuals are a joy to behold. Reload is borderline essential if you're yet to experience Persona 3, while also providing a near perfect way for existing fans to relive a seminal release.

Rectify Gaming - 9 / 10
Despite being a remake, Persona 3 Reload is undoubtedly at the forefront of mainline Persona titles. Fans have been asking for a re-imagining of Persona 3 for the longest time and Atlus has finally answered their calls. The game appeals to both fans and newcomers of the series, as it offers a compelling story, memorable characters, and addictive gameplay, all through a modern lens.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Matt Cox - Unscored
A repetitive journey through a year of quirky yet cheesy high school relationships, interspersed with tedious turn-based combat.

Shacknews - Donovan Erskine - 9 / 10
Quote not yet available

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 9 / 10
While I miss the female protagonist and the dungeon-crawling element may feel a bit dated, Persona 3 Reload is a joy to play and offers everything I could want from it.

Spaziogames - Gianluca Arena - Italian - 8.7 / 10
We disagree with the people at Atlus and their decision to leave Tartarus as it was, but nonetheless this is one of the best JRPGs of the modern era, and this remake makes it shine like it deserves. The one for this review was our fifth run in eighteen years and we still didn't feel any fatigue playing it. Let's just hope the devs will include Persona 3 FES and Portable content later down the road.

The Games Machine - Nicholas Mercurio - Italian - 9.5 / 10
Persona 3 Reload is a sensational work that is not just satisfied with being a remake but is, consequently, something that reformulates the development of ATLUS video games for an even wider audience. Choosing one of the greatest and most powerful works of the JRPG genre, thus forging a title to improve and revisit a work of the genre, was by no means an easy and immediate task. Indeed, it was something extremely complex. An incredible great return that can be summed up in the term "Masterpiece".

The Nerd Stash - Nat Collazo - 8.5 / 10
Persona 3 Reload is perfect for new and veteran fans alike and is sure to get fans of turn-based JRPGs turned on to the rest of the Persona series.

The Outerhaven Productions - Todd Black - 4.5 / 5
Persona 3 Reload is everything that fans of the franchise wanted from a remake and more. It doesn't change the story but builds upon the various gameplay elements that have become staples in the games that came after. Plus, the story and characters are incredible, and you'll love getting to know them more.

TheSixthAxis - Nic Bunce - 9 / 10
Persona 3 Reload is a dream come true for Persona fans. With far more than just a visual uplift, this is very much the best possible edition of the game, even if it can't quite be called 'definitive'.

VideoGamer - Antony Terence - 9 / 10
P3R’s poignant tale of acceptance is bolstered by smart combat refinements, deeper friendships, and a soundtrack you already love.

WhatIfGaming - Ali Hashmi - 9 / 10
Persona 3 Reload is a fantastic remake that cleverly integrates mechanics from subsequent entries to provide an experience that's polished, expertly paced, and full of heart. Its fast-paced combat, quality-of-life additions, and host of activities always keep you engaged no matter where you are in the story. The darker tone lends to an overall narrative that feels more consequential, and Tatsumi Port Island is a joy to explore. It's an excellent place for newcomers to the series and a must-buy for RPG fans.

XboxEra - Genghis Husameddin - 9.5 / 10
"But what I think Persona 3 Reload does best is that it brings one of my favourite Persona games to a new audience and excels at it. The visuals are gorgeous, the pacing isn’t overtly stretched out, the combat is fun and fluid, and the story is still great. Anyone can get in on this game’s excellent blend of school life and role-playing genres and I can wholeheartedly recommend this game, not just because Persona 3 is a classic for me, but because Persona 3 Reload is genuinely fantastic."

Video Reviews

Last edited:

saintjules

Excited to play this via GP. I played the original for a short time a long time ago, so I'm glad to revisit.

I would like to find some mediocre reviews to find out some negatives. All praising reviews masks some of that.

th4tguy

Really wish Sony could have gotten this for ps+ also. Ff7 rebirth coming out at the end of the month means I’m just going to wait on this.

Mr Hyde

P3 is my favorite Persona, but to hear that Atlus has scrapped content from FES is concerning. But updating the visuals to P5 standard sounds pretty awesome. Will probably nab it , as I don't have my copy of FES anymore.

Cyberpunkd

Will buy for Switch 2. I have incredibly fond memories of Persona 3, it consumed my life like nothing else in 2007. Ended up importing it from VG+ from Canada.

PanzerCute

Sega/Atlus casually getting two 90 Open Critic games back to back.

And I'm pretty sure one more is coming in March with Unicorn Overlord.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
P3 is my favorite Persona, but to hear that Atlus has scrapped content from FES is concerning. But updating the visuals to P5 standard sounds pretty awesome. Will probably nab it , as I don't have my copy of FES anymore.

Expect a FES: Reload in January '25 :p

Or, tech has advanced enough since the PS2 that they can reasonably offer FES as a DLC expansion later in the year.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Or, tech has advanced enough since the PS2 that they can reasonably offer FES as a DLC expansion later in the year.

That would totally be an Atlus thing, since they love re-releasing their games with optional content. P5 feels like it has five different editions by now.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
That would totally be an Atlus thing, since they love re-releasing their games with optional content. P5 feels like it has five different editions by now.

Joke is people talk about FES but its the P3Portable content people are really after.

I fully expect P3RPlatinum by the end of all this.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I honestly think that doing a re-release of a remake is a step too far even for Atlus, but that might end up being naive of me.

Mr Hyde

Joke is people talk about FES but its the P3Portable content people are really after.

I fully expect P3RPlatinum by the end of all this.

Funny, because I've never seen anyone mention P3 portable, it seems everything is about FES. Never played Portable myself. Do you know the difference between them? I think it's pretty shitty of Atlus to release so many different versions of the game, on different platforms no less. Just make on edition ffs, especially when it's a remake of an old game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Funny, because I've never seen anyone mention P3 portable, it seems everything is about FES. Never played Portable myself. Do you know the difference between them? I think it's pretty shitty of Atlus to release so many different versions of the game, on different platforms no less. Just make on edition ffs, especially when it's a remake of an old game.
FES is like the final chapter of Royal, its extra content that carries on the story after the original game ended...

Portable because it had to go on PSP made radical changes to the games design, 3d worlds where replaced with flat 2d areas with a fix camera, like older games, but it did add something else...

wG8ovn3.png

The female protagonist and her unique content. Her story is not just a copy paste, it has its own twists and turns and unique characters to gain social links with. It's the biggest amount of additional content out of all the versions.

Obviously they don't need to scale the game down like they did for the PSP, so it would only be a huge plus to have the content added. But whenever people say I want the female protagonist etc, that's not FES, that's Persona 3 Portable.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

FES is like the final chapter of Royal, its extra content that carries on the story after the original game ended...

Portable because it had to go on PSP made radical changes to the games design, 3d worlds where replaced with flat 2d areas with a fix camera, like older games, but it did add something else...

wG8ovn3.png

The female protagonist and her unique content. Her story is not just a copy paste, it has its own twists and turns and unique characters to gain social links with. It's the biggest amount of additional content out of all the versions.

Obviously they don't need to scale the game down like they did for the PSP, so it would only be a huge plus to have the content added. But whenever people say I want the female protagonist etc, that's not FES, that's Persona 3 Portable.

Let's hope that Atlus makes a definitive version of P3 now then, with all content across the different versions all crammed into one epic game.

graywolf323

I’ll buy it again if so 😝 I know I’m part of the problem but Persona 3 is one of my favorite RPGs of all-time and I’d love to have the FeMC + Answer remade even as paid DLC

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh cool, this is a full-on remake? For some reason I assumed it was just a remaster of the PSP version or something.

Krathoon

I do have a gut feeling there will be a FES expansion. That is why I am playing this on Gamepass.

I will have to find a way to copy the save games over.

Top Bottom