• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Reload won't get a "Royal" version, confirms Producer

Draugoth

Gold Member
Elizabeth-P3R-1536x864.jpg

Gamerwk had the opportunity to discuss with Persona Team’s Production Manager Kazuhisa Wada about the upcoming Persona 3 Reload release.

In the interview, Wada talks about P3R’s development cycle, character redesigns, new quality-of-life features, and more.

Some of the notable passages were the following:

About a P4G / P5R Type Remake​

Wada: Currently, we are not considering a revision like with Persona 5 to Persona 5 Royal, which involved significant changes and additions to the original title. So, fans can rest assured knowing that Persona 3 Reload offers a complete experience.
Through this game, we have made great efforts to ensure that fans worldwide, including Southeast Asia, can access it simultaneously. Therefore, we sincerely hope that fans worldwide can enjoy Persona 3 Reload and have fun.

About Character Redesigns​

Among the numerous improvements in Persona 3 Reload, ranging from gameplay to visuals, one aspect that received a fresh touch is the redesign of the characters from the original Persona 3. We were curious if there is a connection between the new character designs and their background stories.
Wada responded by stating that the background stories are there to enhance the appeal of the characters themselves, as well as to connect to the stories that follow in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.
Wada: This is also related to how this story connects to games that take place later, and the background story for Strega is also being explored, including their daily life in the dormitory.

About P3R’s Budget​

Wada stated that one thing that surprised him is that the development budget and costs for this remake were much higher than the expenses for creating the original game. This makes sense considering the extensive efforts and work put into making this game.

Via PersonaCentral

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I mean, what else were they gonna say?

graywolf323

John Candy Reaction GIF

I mean Persona 3 Reload is the "Royal/Golden" version....I dont know why people would think otherwise.
because P4G and P5R are the definitive versions of their games, Persona 3 still lacks that because Reload is only the definitive way to play the vanilla version

then you have to get a copy of FES to play The Answer or Portable to play the FeMC storyline

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
because P4G and P5R are the definitive versions of their games, Persona 3 still lacks that because Reload is only the definitive way to play the vanilla version

then you have to get a copy of FES to play The Answer or Portable to play the FeMC storyline
The Answer wont be missed I grantee you....It never was good side story.

Danjin44

See the lady on the right? I'm not seeing her in this game so it sure as shit ain't the royal/golden version of Persona 3.
Were you expecting Atlus to make two separate hand drawn animation for each MC? The only reason it was possible on Portable version because they took out all anime cutscenes and even 3D exploration.

Last edited:

consoul

one thing that surprised him is that the development budget and costs for this remake were much higher than the expenses for creating the original game
Developing a current gen game costs more than a PS2 game. So surprising.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Were you expecting Atlus to make two separate hand drawn animation for each MC? The only reason it was possible on Portable version because they took out all anime cutscenes and even 3D exploration.

Absolutely... because they literally made an entire new set for Royal for the new content, which is exactly what they will do for this.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Absolutely... because they literally made an entire new set for Royal for the new content, which is exactly what they will do for this.
In Reload has new cutscenes as well but they were not gonna make two separate exact scene just for FeMC....it never was going to happen.

Last edited:
In Reload has new cutscenes as well but they were not gonna make two separate exact scene just for FeMC....it never was going to happen.
How do you know they won't add new content, or maybe even held back content for another version down the road? Do you work for Atlus?

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Oh it absolutely can, when they sell you the updated version for full price in 2 years time. Its really not that hard, and it's a very specifically weird thing to get hung up on as a reason that they won't do it.

Saying "we won't release an updated version with more content" is just because there now worried that since they do this for every mainline game people are getting wise, and will hold off, it's pure marketing.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Based on what? They've done it numerous times already.
Oh it absolutely can, when they sell you the updated version for full price in 2 years time. Its really not that hard, and it's a very specifically weird thing to get hung up on as a reason that they won't do it.

Saying "we won't release an updated version with more content" is just because there now worried that since they do this for every mainline game people are getting wise, and will hold off, it's pure marketing.
giphy.gif

night13x

remember this post:

There are several dlc / expansion content planned including a FES expansion pack. FeMC is currently not in the books.

Switch 2 rather than switch.

StereoVsn

If people cared, they would have put a female protagonist in Royal and Golden.

They did neither. Smart money says it won't be a feature in Persona 6 either.
FMC social links in P3P were actually damn good. Minus the stupid kid.

I kind of liked the vibe for FMC as it was a lot more hopeful vs fairly depressing MC for P3.

Puscifer

I mean they had a chance to bring everything from portable and FES into a singular package and they chose not too.

Danjin44

I do wish Persona 3 Reload would have add some new Demons that introduced in SMTV....
E9H4cAKX0AIms5p.png
QSpYqHc.png
whiJNUm.png

Fbh

I hope they say something similar regarding Metaphor.
Biggest reason not to buy Atlus games at launch is that they might just release a substantially better version a couple of years later.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: RNG

StereoVsn

I hope they say something similar regarding Metaphor.
Biggest reason not to buy Atlus games at launch is that they might just release a substantially better version a couple of years later.
That gap between P4 and P4G was about 4 years.

In general P3 vanilla to FES was the one that truly sucked.

Fbh

That gap between P4 and P4G was about 4 years.

In general P3 vanilla to FES was the one that truly sucked.

I don't mind waiting 3-4 years.
Their games are long as fuck too. I'm probably not going to replay their 80-100 hours RPG, and if I'm only playing it once I'd rather wait for the finished version.
I really hate their approach to re-releases. Would much rather get normal DLC.

Last edited:

Doom85

If people cared, they would have put a female protagonist in Royal and Golden.

They did neither. Smart money says it won't be a feature in Persona 6 either.

I can’t speak for 4, but in terms of 5, the game director said they wrote the character of Joker with him being male specifically in mind.

So no, it had nothing to do with a lack of people caring. Tons of JRPGs over the last decade or so have a MC you can choose either gender for. They wouldn’t be doing that if ”nobody cared”.

Gexxy1

I can’t speak for 4, but in terms of 5, the game director said they wrote the character of Joker with him being male specifically in mind.

lol, that's PR speak. Make Joker female and the story doesn't change whatsoever.

I was talking about Persona specifically, not what these other Japanese games are doing.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I don't think so... They will do like Catherine, they will modify the story a little and they will add the content... And if there will be another edition, for the female protagonist.

Doom85

lol, that's PR speak. Make Joker female and the story doesn't change whatsoever.

I was talking about Persona specifically, not what these other Japanese games are doing.

Okay, so you’re just going to call the director a liar when it doesn’t fit your narrative…

Justin Timberlake What GIF

Ah yes, all these other JRPG fanbases care about having a choice of the MC’s gender, but Persona just randomly has the one fanbase that doesn’t?

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Seriously, Danjin already explained why the female MC isn’t in this version. It has nothing to do with a lack of interest.

Top Bottom