• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Reload Fans Slam Expansion Pass as a 'Cash Grab'

Persona 3 Reload players have taken to Steam to express frustration at Atlus announcing a $35 expansion pass one month after promising the game is a "complete experience".
OFCceVz.png

Persona 3 Reload's expansion pass has been dubbed a "cash grab" by some fans who spent as much as $200 on the Collector's Edition only to see more content announced just one month later. "Imagine buying a $100 Premium Edition and one month later you have to buy another $35 for what is just cut content," Hourai said in a Steam review. "Awful cash grab," added Zandig.
hyrsuML.png
T2sDESV.png

Fans were originally concerned that Atlus would release the base game in 2024 and soon after announce an expanded edition, as it did with the original Persona 3 (with follow-ups called Portable and FES), plus Persona 4 (with Persona 4 Golden), and Persona 5 (with Persona 5 Royal).

Persona Team production manager Kazuhisa Wada insisted fans could buy Persona 3 Reload with confidence upon its February 2 launch, however, promising it "offers a complete experience". But on March 6, Atlus announced an expansion pass containing more background music from Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal, additional costumes, and the Episode Aigis expansion, which included around 30 hours of extra content in the original game. Atlus itself calls this segment the "final chapter" of Persona 3 Reload.

The Steam reviews for Persona 3 Reload have taken a hit in response to the announcement of the expansion pass, the first wave of which (including the bonus tracks) arrives today, March 12. Just 2.98% of reviews were negative on launch compared to 39.22% today.
It's the specific expansion pass Steam page that has taken the brunt of frustration, however, as it currently has a "mostly negative" rating with just 21% of its reviews being positive.

"People who bought the $100 Digital Premium Edition or $200 Aigis Edition should be entitled to this," wrote Crazydog1435, referencing that most deluxe editions now come with the season pass included. "Love how this doesn't come with any of the expensive editions," said Timo654.

"Great game but this remake shouldn't have been advertised as a Persona 3 remake without FES content just for this to be announced a month later for such an egregious price and not included in the big versions we've already bought," said Photo.
Persona 3 Reload producer Ryota Niitsuma said upon its announcement that Atlus "wanted to really genuinely work on recreating the Persona 3 experience" so wouldn't be remaking the extra content from FES or Portable. Wada assured the decision to remake the FES content was made after this, though certainly before he promised the base game was a "complete experience".

"Devs lie saying 'no FES content planned' yet this releases just over a month after initial release," said thatguyoverthere. "I am the problem. I bought this since it'll probably be fun, but I've spent about $60 in additional content for this game for things that should've been in there day one. I really hope this doesn't happen again with any Atlus or SEGA game."

Persona 3 Reload also has myriad pieces of downloadable content available at launch including costumes and additional music. IGN has asked Atlus for comment.

Yeah that's kind of a dick thing lol.

Meanwhile I just 'purchased' it for free.

image.png

I feel for the $100 edition folks.
Yeah, I'm going to play it on Xbox via GPU, because can't stand this shit from Atlus.

Will buy the physical though once it gets discounted to €20 or something on PS5.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah that's kind of a dick thing lol.

Meanwhile I just purchased it for free.

image.png

I feel for the $100 edition folks.

I could have gone the GP route but I wanted the Platinum. This is shitty though. Not just on Steam. On PSN....this is what your $100 gets....

XM9J6SQ.png

Same on Xbox:

That fucking sucks

Last edited:

Solidus_T

I mean, yeah it's ATLUS. I recall people predicting that we would get The Answer as a paid DLC. It's really fucked up that none of this is included in the deluxe edition.
Also I love those ASCII double-birdies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is it free on game pass? I saw P3 pop up in my feed the other day. Or month or whatever.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is it free on game pass? I saw P3 pop up in my feed the other day. Or month or whatever.

Yes, base game was on game pass at launch. Now expansion is also there, but the difference is that the expansion is a 'purchase', so you get it for free with GP as a perk and you own it even without the sub.

After Gears: Hivebusters, this is the only other time a DLC expansion has been offered on GP.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Yes, it is. And the expansion is free for Game Pass Ultimate subscribers.

Who would’ve expected this from the company that pioneered the “make an expansion that’s only available included with a full priced re-release of the game that’s incompatible with the original” business model?

I get that, but I think they have taken their hubris to new heights selling a $100 "premium" version without the expansion though.

killatopak

Not supporting any of this shit. Atlus can fucking suck it. What a garbage company they've become.
Atlus is fine, it’s only when it relates to Persona that they become greedy fucks. They’ve been doing this shit since P3. Milked the franchise to death.

Honestly, I feel at fault as well cause I keep eating their games despite hating the way they operate.

adamsapple

Who would’ve expected this from the company that pioneered the “make an expansion that’s only available included with a full priced re-release of the game that’s incompatible with the original” business model?

To be fair, it really wouldn't have been possible to do DLC or expansions like this back on the PS2.

Topher

Gold Member
Nah, Atlus still puts out actually good games. I'm not the biggest fan either of the practice, but I've grown quite accustomed to 'the Atlus tax' and am willing to pay it.

Fair. Atlus making great games is their saving grace here, but it's still shitty.

Last edited:

graywolf323

The $100 version doesn't get the expansion pass?

Matthew Broderick GIF
yep and that premium edition was advertised as including all paid DLC…

Persona 3 Reload Digital Premium Edition includes:
  • Base Game
  • Digital Artbook
  • Digital Soundtrack
  • Persona 3 Reload DLC Pack: Includes all purchasable additional content for the game.
edit: I think if it just The Answer it’d be one thing but they inflated the cost of the expansion pass by adding more BGM/costume sets which is what the previous DLC was is just classic Atlus/Sega greed

Last edited:
Can't blame them. For $70 it should include The Answer with the base game. I can fully understand people, who bought the game at $70, not wanting to pay another $35. I played the game for $11.75 with a month of Game Pass.
Whistle Whistling GIF

TheUsual

Gold Member
I mean, from Atlus' position in regards to their business model: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

How long before FeMC version gets released? Watch they'll do a version less The Answer and then one with it.

Draugoth

Gold Member
It's the most lazy Season Pass Ever made. $30 for two sets of skins and an expansion that came with a game released 10 years ago

BossLackey

Gold Member
Nah, Atlus still puts out actually good games. I'm not the biggest fan either of the practice, but I've grown quite accustomed to 'the Atlus tax' and am willing to pay it.

Yeah, while this is egregious (albeit expected), I'd still rather pay more for a good game than less for a bad one.

Boss Mog

Sounds like whining from a few butthurt players, nothing more. I have no problem getting this DLC on PS5 at some point though I doubt I'll get it for 35. I don't feel bad for the $100 folks because they knew exactly what they were buying, it never said it included the expansion pass or Answer DLC so why are they surprised all of a sudden? If you pay extra to super size your fast food combo, do you expect them to give you a free burger the next time you visit?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
And this DLC is the Yukari maid outfit?
yep and that premium edition was advertised as including all paid DLC…

edit: I think if it just The Answer it’d be one thing but they inflated the cost of the expansion pass by adding more BGM/costume sets which is what the previous DLC was is just classic Atlus/Sega greed
Atlus thief lawyer.

MK-QKC.gif

Yes, yes, but the contract says that the DLC from the date of February 1, 2024 is free until March 10, 2024, but the DLC The answer is on the date of March 12, 2024, it does not comply with the free assignment.

Last edited:
Way to unnecessarily stain your reputation.
A quick stain, for a few weeks, because no one will care about this.

Anyway, get ready for another milking section, now with Persona 3... Again.

Because FES, Portable and a port of Portable weren't enough.

Skifi28

Even the $200 version doesn't get the expansion
We should be thankful it at least includes the game.

Soon the Royale edition will be released, with the female protagonist
It's the only reason I'm not buying it now. I expect a re-release with the actual complete edition in a year or two which one would have to rebuy since there won't even be an upgrade path.

Last edited:
Exactly why I waited. I also played the PS2 version when I was in college.

I’ll wait a year or so for a complete package at a discount. I knew this was going to happen. Especially after the P5R “upgrade” for PS5 that didn’t provide any upgrade path for people who already owned Royal.

Topher

Gold Member
Sounds like whining from a few butthurt players, nothing more. I have no problem getting this DLC on PS5 at some point though I doubt I'll get it for 35. I don't feel bad for the $100 folks because they knew exactly what they were buying, it never said it included the expansion pass or Answer DLC so why are they surprised all of a sudden? If you pay extra to super size your fast food combo, do you expect them to give you a free burger the next time you visit?

In other words.....
Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

ssringo

Reap what you sow Persona fans. Enjoy yourselves and thanks for funding the eventual Golden Shower version!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Here's how Atlus can make the situation right imho: let us buy The Answer by itself without the rest of the expansion pass. I don't really care about the extra music or costumes. Though the price as-is may be justified if it's really 30-40 hours long - that's as long as a full game.

I think people's outrage is a little overblown though - they're still working on the DLC which is why it's releasing in September instead of today. Perhaps they should have just mentioned from the beginning that it was coming and what was or wasn't included though.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Did you buy Persona 5 Royal twice?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Reap what you sow Persona fans. Enjoy yourselves and thanks for funding the eventual Golden Shower version!
Back around the original launch of P3/FES, folks in the JRPG community were always saying stuff like “you need to support these games so that more JRPGs get localized! If you don’t buy it, then don’t be surprised when other JRPGs don’t get released here!!”

Guess Atlus got the message loud and clear: their fans take it in the ass and beg for more.

adamsapple

Here's how Atlus can make the situation right imho: let us buy The Answer by itself without the rest of the expansion pass. I don't really care about the extra music or costumes. Though the price as-is may be justified if it's really 30-40 hours long - that's as long as a full game

You should be able to buy The Answer separately when it goes live, the expansion pass is not mandatory for it.

The deluxe DLC was also available either as a bundle or piece-meal.

yldwqvuicdj21.jpg

Last edited:

bbeach123

Expansion pass ?

This is kinda uncharacteristic from Altus here .

They should re-release the game with the expansion and sell it as full price (again) .

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Did you buy Persona 5 Royal twice?
I did, but I payed 40 for the Phantom Thieves edition on PS4 and 20 for the PS5 version, so 60 total. The Phantom Thieves Edition on PS4 goes for over 100 on eBay so I'm good.
Bad analogy, try again.
It's a very good analogy. They payed extra for launch DLC but they thought it would allow them to get something down the road, which was never indicated, only launch DLC was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom