• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Reload Fans Slam Expansion Pass as a 'Cash Grab'

Cyberpunkd

It's a very good analogy. They payed extra for launch DLC but they thought it would allow them to get something down the road, which was never indicated, only launch DLC was.
If it was not indicated they have no reason to complain. Do not assume things, know them to be true or not.

As soon as they confirmed the game was launching without all of the content, I saw this coming. I can understand this approach for a brand new game where the expanded content is developed and released over the course of a couple years, like they have previously done. It's simply put a bait and switch to release a remake without full content and then announce the remaining DLC a month later asking for more money.

Atlas is going to go the Ubisoft route where I don't even look at the game until the complete edition goes on sale a year or two after.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If it was not indicated they have no reason to complain. Do not assume things, know them to be true or not.

As much as I don't like it, it was definitely indicated clearly,

o4Qw7fC.jpg

blackjon24

Wow atlus fans finally fighting back, they've been taking it for so many years, good to see them finally having some dignity for once

graywolf323

As much as I don't like it, it was definitely indicated clearly,

o4Qw7fC.jpg
for the physical Aegis edition perhaps but what I copied earlier is literally still listed for the digital premium edition right now (I think on Steam it’s been adjusted but it’s still there on the Humble Store listing which is where I bought the game)

Persona 3 Reload Digital Premium Edition includes:
  • Base Game
  • Digital Artbook
  • Digital Soundtrack
  • Persona 3 Reload DLC Pack: Includes all purchasable additional content for the game.

Sorcerer

Here's how Atlus can make the situation right imho: let us buy The Answer by itself without the rest of the expansion pass. I don't really care about the extra music or costumes. Though the price as-is may be justified if it's really 30-40 hours long - that's as long as a full game.

I think people's outrage is a little overblown though - they're still working on the DLC which is why it's releasing in September instead of today. Perhaps they should have just mentioned from the beginning that it was coming and what was or wasn't included though.
I could have sworn I read that Atlus said that the The Answer/Fez was never going to be included in the game. I guess after this comes out, they will announce Portable as additonal paid dlc. LOL!!!

adamsapple

I could have sworn I read that Atlus said that the The Answer/Fez was never going to be included in the game. I guess after this comes out, they will announce Portable as additonal paid dlc. LOL!!!

They said the game will not get a Persona 5 Royal style re-release, not that they won't do DLC.

adamsapple

No, clearly would have explicitly stating the expansion was not included. Atlus knew what they were doing.

Maybe, but the expansion pass wasn't even a thing when those collectors things went up to pre-order.

for the physical Aegis edition perhaps but what I copied earlier is literally still listed for the digital premium edition right now (I think on Steam it’s been adjusted but it’s still there on the Humble Store listing which is where I bought the game)

Could be a PC PR communication thing, the same line is used on Fanatical's page.'

But I looked up archive.org for old versions of the page on PSN and XBL and it doesn't have any blurbs like 'all purchase-able content', it tells you explicitly what's included.

This is from August 2023:

STyPPVp.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
Maybe, but the expansion pass wasn't even a thing when those collectors things went up to pre-order.

Could be a PC PR communication thing, the same line is used on Fanatical's page.'

But I looked up archive.org for old versions of the page on PSN and XBL and it doesn't have any blurbs like 'all purchase-able content', it tells you explicitly what's included.

STyPPVp.jpg

Huh?

"Includes all purchasable additional content for the game."

graywolf323

STyPPVp.jpg
err it’s literally right there in the image? they then list the DLC pieces but it doesn’t specify only the DLC that will be “available at launch”

PSN has now removed the line entirely, and frankly there’s no way Atlus didn’t know this a month ago, Topher is right

No, clearly would have explicitly stating the expansion was not included. Atlus knew what they were doing.

adamsapple

Huh?

"Includes all purchasable additional content for the game."
err it’s literally right there in the image? they then list the DLC pieces but it doesn’t specify only the DLC that will be “available at launch”

PSN has now removed the line entirely, and frankly there’s no way Atlus didn’t know this a month ago, Topher is right

The parenthesis list all the available content, but yes they have removed that line now to avoid the confusion I guess.

Topher

Gold Member
The parenthesis list all the available content, but yes they have removed that line now to avoid the confusion I guess.

The removed it to remove false advertising. The whole thing is rotten really. The $100 price tag for the "premium" edition is unjustified regardless.

If folks didn't know how shitty Atlus was about this stuff then I guess they know now.

laynelane

Atlus is fine, it’s only when it relates to Persona that they become greedy fucks. They’ve been doing this shit since P3. Milked the franchise to death.

Honestly, I feel at fault as well cause I keep eating their games despite hating the way they operate.

I think they're doing it more with their other franchises too. When the remastered SMT Nocturne released they had DLC for Dante. It wasn't cheap either.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You’re right. SMTV will do it as well with Vengeance. I don’t think it’s even a DLC. More like P5R.
They did that with original Nocturne on PS2, only difference is in west we got the Maniax version and they never released original Nocturne outside of Japan.

Aenima

Soon the Royale edition will be released, with the female protagonist
Thats why i skipped Persona 3 at launch. I dont fall for they traps ever again. In a few years i just grab the "complete" edition for cheap.

Even the Yakuza games are now filled with corporate greed. In LaD Infinite Wealth thers a Trophy to reach Lv70 with Ichiban, the problem is if you have the base game the enemies only go up to lv55 making reaching the LV 70 a tedious grind that will take days. All because the NG+ and extra dungeon with higher level enemies are sold by DLC or included in the more expensive editions of the game. They also sell DLC that gives you an item to increase your levels, so this trophy was deliberate designed to make ppl buy the DLC or do a tedious grinding.

This is the only trophy im missing for the platinum, and i already gave up. Im not gonna spend 3 or 4 days grinding enemies just to get a trophy. And no, thers no way i spend money on cash grab DLCs.

Last edited:

Labadal

SEGA/Atlus release great games, but are becoming increasingly scummy. This isn't just Persona. They have been doing this to the Yakuza series as well.

I didn't get P3 Reload on day one, and the same goes for Metaphor: Refantazio.

I will stop being a hypocrite, and start voting with my wallet, even if it means not buying my most anticipated games on day one (if they have shitty DLC/Edition practices).

bender

What time is it?
SEGA/Atlus release great games, but are becoming increasingly scummy. This isn't just Persona. They have been doing this to the Yakuza series as well.

I didn't get P3 Reload on day one, and the same goes for Metaphor: Refantazio.

I will stop being a hypocrite, and start voting with my wallet, even if it means not buying my most anticipated games on day one (if they have shitty DLC/Edition practices).

Not to defend Yakuza too much, but at least they don't go back to the well with rereleases. The big running joke with the P3 remake was to just wait for the Fez edition which is certain to come (probably for the Switch 2) which certain users here were certain wouldn't happen. At this point, buying the first release of anything Atlus develops seems like a fools errand.

smbu2000

To be fair, it really wouldn't have been possible to do DLC or expansions like this back on the PS2.
In Japan, Atlus released P3 Fes as a standalone version and a cheaper append disc version. The append disc version was for owners of the original P3 game who wanted to play Fes. The append disc required the insertion of the original P3 game disc in your ps2 the first time you played the fes append disc.

https://www.ign.com/games/persona-3-fes-append-disc/

adamsapple

In Japan, Atlus released P3 Fes as a standalone version and a cheaper append disc version. The append disc version was for owners of the original P3 game who wanted to play Fes. The append disc required the insertion of the original P3 game disc in your ps2 the first time you played the fes append disc.

https://www.ign.com/games/persona-3-fes-append-disc/

The Append Disc launched in Japan to the equivalent of 46 USD. (source)

FES launched in the West for 29.99 USD, which included the full base game and Episode Aigis.

We got a better deal out of it in the end tho.

Last edited:
Available at launch. Is the new DLC available at launch? No.

Scummy? 100%. Stop supporting such a shit company.
Boycotting them would be a terrible idea. Took Atlus many, many years to start putting out multiplat titles, but I get your point and specific releases from Atlus like this one, where we all know a better version is coming, is a good idea to avoid and teach them not to bend the fan base over like this.

BloodborneHat3r

Neo Member
DSP was crying about the extra currency he got from purchasing the Ultimate Version is not the currency to buy cosmetics. Duh, gotta read what you are getting, therefore I got the Deluxe Version which got the first character pack DLC and no slop currency. Atlus no doubt were being greedy but we gotta learn to read things.

Power Pro

I'm torn, because I sorta agree with it being scummy...and I bought the $200 Aigis Edition on PS5, however...I also put 100+ hours into Persona 3 Reload, so yeah...I kinda got my money's worth out of it, so I'm not super mad.

LMAO they are all going to buy it when it comes out

Also Atlus isn't some mega billion dollar AAA studio, the director of P3R quite literally said that they weren't given the budget or the scope to include The Answer and the decision to actually complete and release it didn't come from Sega until after P3R was released

I don't feel bad about giving Atlus money because they actually need it unlike for example giving the world's most valuable company Microsoft money for Gamepass

I bought the $200 physical CE and I understood that physical CE's that cost so much are that way because they include a figure. But I'm also used to Square Enix CE's which are the same way, the CE's which include a figure cost more

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Can't wait for Reloaded Turbo Deluxe when they add in the Female Protagonist content years later and make you buy Persona 3 all over again.

It's Atlus. That's why you wait for the Royal/Golden/FES edition a year or two from now that includes everything and makes QOL changes. I learned my lesson after buying P5 vanilla and I'll do the same for Fantazio.
Exactly. I’m in no rush to buy this current edition.

• Strength
Reactions: RNG
Well. Such is the nature of the idea of an expansion pass. Most of them are shameless cash grabs, and seemingly just content that was plucked out of the game, in order to sell it separately.

cireza

When you don't like a company's practices, the solution is as simple as not buying their product.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Boycotting them would be a terrible idea. Took Atlus many, many years to start putting out multiplat titles, but I get your point and specific releases from Atlus like this one, where we all know a better version is coming, is a good idea to avoid and teach them not to bend the fan base over like this.

Boycotts don't work anyway. People have short memories.

Top Bottom