• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield 30fps cap “not a sign it’s unfinished” claims God of War Ragnarok dev

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
And you still believe Phil after all these years?

If it isn't a hardware limitation, why can't the game run at 60fps?

It will run at 60fps...when they'll release the XSX Pro which by then, they'll change their tune again and it's all gonna be - again - about "giving the players the options by enabling high framerates to unlock the TRUE artistic vision® which only the XSX Pro can provide"

...and round and round we go...

How can people still fall for this utter PR bullshit I'll never understand.

Mind you, the same goes for Sony - personally I find the FF16 demo horrible due to the framerate which in "performance" mode the game runs at a shitty 40-55fps at best, mid 20s at worst while in "quality" it's nausea inducing due to the almost 30fps limit when playing on an OLED.

It's a friggin' lose-lose situation but many people have to keep fighting the good fight for their plastic box of choice and their beloved cult PR bullshit masters/overlords.

The friggin mid-gen upgrades can't come soon enough

Last edited:

Banned
FFXVI (and Jedi Survivor, remember that?) are trash at 60fps. FFXVI looks like a PS3 game in Perf mode, but completely next-gen in 30fps.

FF16 looks the exact same in both modes. the only difference is the base resolution before the shitty FSR2 upscales the image.
all the settings are the same. both modes look soft and shimmery.

also in 30fps mode you LITERALLY can't see anything as soon as the camera moves. GREAT FIDELITY!
FyceCsaXsAAtE0l

Banned
So basically,

"60 FPS would be a large hit to the fidelity, and other sacrifices would have to be made, so they decided not to butcher their game"

No Fucking Shit.

Literally exactly what have I been preaching for years.

Mods, remove my tag. I just speak facts.

you heard the all knowing developer gods! we should not strife for 30fps, that means too many sacrifices. 20fps is perfectly playable and developers have to BUTCHER THEIR GAME just to reach 30 fps, because FPS fanatics like Represent. Represent. here want them to push for 30fps!

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
you heard the all knowing developer gods! we should not strife for 30fps, that means too many sacrifices. 20fps is perfectly playable and developers have to BUTCHER THEIR GAME just to reach 30 fps, because FPS fanatics like Represent. Represent. here want them to push for 30fps!

Yea I cant wait for the day when everything runs at 120fps! Fuck it, 240 fps, who cares about the rest of the game!

Im running circles around you on this subject.

The devs are speaking and they are in agreement with me.

DF is in agreement with me, there will be mainly 30fps going forward.

Now, the games are releasing and they are again proving me right.

Meanwhile, its just you and the twitter nerds in agreement.

The sacrifice is too much, and too stupid.

30fps is the future, and I am sexually aroused by it.

Kumomeme

from developers stand point is understandable

however from Microsoft side, all these time they touted their console as 'eat monster for breakfast', heavily boast 120fps capabilities everywhere etc, this actually bite them back

FuUlD4AXoAEEW5S.jpg

EhYbNOVXcAI3NOc

EmK3HCoXIAMk9GN

the devs not wrong in this. but those higher ups.

sure, this is a marketing and thats why those tagline is existed but it not gonna bode well if they talk too big to the point infuenced general mass's view toward their product and failed to back it up. people gonna chase them to end of the world no matter how make sense their justification is.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
from developers stand point is understandable

however from Microsoft side, all these time they touted their console as 'eat monster for breakfast', heavily boast 120fps capabilities everywhere etc, this actually bite them back

FuUlD4AXoAEEW5S.jpg

EhYbNOVXcAI3NOc

EmK3HCoXIAMk9GN

the devs not wrong in this. but those higher ups.

sure, this is a marketing and thats why those tagline is existed but it not gonna bode well if they talk too big to the point infuenced general mass's view toward their product and failed to back it up. people gonna chase them to end of the world no matter how make sense their justification is.
This was nothing but PR hype speak.

What he should have said was “our console can run last gen/cross gen games at 60fps, but when the games start pushing, we will most likely see a return to 30, as the sacrifice is too much.”

And now no one would have any issues.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
He's right but it's still disappointing to not have a higher FPS mode on Series X.

And I pray to the lard it's stable 60+ on PC.

Kumomeme

This was nothing but PR hype speak.

What he should have said was “our console can run last gen/cross gen games at 60fps, but when the games start pushing, we will most likely see a return to 30, as the sacrifice is too much.”

And now no one would have any issues.
right. or something like "60/120fps is new standard but it depend on our devs team vision over their game"

Banned
The devs are speaking and they are in agreement with me.

DF is in agreement with me, there will be mainly 30fps going forward.

Meanwhile, its just you and the twitter nerds in agreement.

The sacrifice is too much, and too stupid.

30fps is the future, and I am sexually aroused by it.

see, you want that 30fps future, even tho 20fps is perfectly playable and would offer way higher detail and complexity. people like you are holding back gaming with your 30fps fetish!
WE NEED 20FPS NOW! IN THE NAME FOR NEXT GEN VISUALS!

RickMasters

An advanced video game with ship building, space combat, RPG mechanics from previous bethesda games, detailed visuals, and people want it to be 60FPS on a measly console... Come on now

If you were lead to believe by Xbox marketing that everything will be 60fps, you got played
I think people with Atleast some idea of tech would look at the hardware inside the SX and PS5 and KNOW that they can’t run a game as complex as starfield at 60FPS.

I’m not suprised and it won’t stop my from playing the shot out of it on my series X….. if I want 60FPS and don’t mind sitting in my gaming chair for a few hours in my studio, I can play it one of my PCs down there. I’m assuming I can use the same save file on Xbox and PC. But honestly…. This is a game I’m gonna play in front of my 65 inch Samsung Q9 with a spliff roled and a pizza on the couch. And I’ll love every minute of it.

Gamepass is SWEET!

Rykan

I am so done with this 60fps cheerleading nonsense. STFU and let devs make the games they want.

rofif rofif lets have a drink.
I agree, Represent. Since most developers choose to support 60 FPS modes in their games, it's time that you stop complaining about it and accept it for what it is. You'll get a few (very few) games that will run at 30 while most support 60 FPS.

Wrong. The overwhelming majority of games released are releasing with 60 FPS modes and proving you wrong.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Alternative thread title "PlayStation dev preps fanbase for the inevitable 30fps future coming from 1st party games to the base PS5"

giphy.gif
I think it’s inevitable as last gen development is fazed out. These consoles will be pushed to their upper limits and the fixed hardware will show its usual show its ‘ disadvantage’. I only expect competitive games, racers, and games that really require speedy inputs at the mechanical level to be 60FPS and better. But get used to open world RPGs and your big single player cinematic set peice third person action games to all run at 30 for the sale of pushing visual fidelity and complexity.

I suppose we will have to wait till that inevitable mid life refresh Xbox upgrade to play this at 60FPS.

Il be honest. As long as this game is as great, as the promise it shows, I can live with it. Chances are we will still be playing this by then anyway! 😅😅

RickMasters

I agree, Represent. Since most developers choose to support 60 FPS modes in their games, it's time that you stop complaining about it and accept it for what it is. You'll get a few (very few) games that will run at 30 while most support 60 FPS.
I think their might be more to it than that…..

In the case of competitive games it’s a must. But I think you will be disappointed if you think big AAA games that push the visuals and the single player experience over input response and mechanics will be running at 60FPS. Let’s all revisit this in a year for shits and giggles. But hey…. As you said yourself, you will be ok with what devs choose…. But you are dead wrong if you think 60FPS is gonna be the norm this gen. I think we have been lucky so far because they were still coding for last gen consoles….. so maybe most games have been Xbox one/ PS4 games with extra bells and whistles. That period is about to come to an end. Let’s see how important 60 FPS is when these devs are selling us their 2024 releases touting their new levels of visuals, and in games mechanics that really push the CPUs. We will be back at 30 in some cases. Just watch and see.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
as i literally predicted a year ago when the complaints about 30fps started rolling in... it's only gotten more intense since then
The true fact is that 60 will become less and less feasible as Cross gen dies off in 2023-2024. If you want the high framerates, you should never have bought a console. 60fps will only last for cross gen.

Rykan

I think their might be more to it than that…..

In the case of competitive games it’s a must. But I think you will be disappointed if you think big AAA games that push the visuals and the single player experience over input response and mechanics will be running at 60FPS. Let’s all revisit this in a year for shits and giggles. But hey…. As you said yourself, you will be ok with what devs choose…. if you think 60FPS is gonna be the norm this gen. I think we have been lucky so far because they were still coding for last gen consoles….. so maybe most games have been Xbox one/ PS4 games with extra bells and whistles. That period is about to come to an end. Let’s see how important 60 FPS is when these devs are selling us their 2024 releases touting their new levels of visuals, and in games mechanics that really push the CPUs. We will be back at 30 in some cases. Just watch and see.
We've heard the same arguments again and again.

“Just you wait! As soon as cross gen stops being a thing, we'll go back to 30 FPS!” and yet game after game continues to support 60 FPS at launch or, at worst, sometime after launch. Regardless of whether the game is cross gen or not: Nearly all of them support 60 FPS.

Enough with the excuses and the cope. No more “Just wait until crossgen stops or when some magical engine starts appearing”.

Its time to accept the fact that including 60 FPS modes is both a standard and an expectation that developers will cater to accordingly. Nobody wants to deal with a reaction similar to what Redfall experienced. Players want and expect 60 FPS modes and if it's not there, then players expect a very good justification for it, which Starfield does successfully.

There will always be games that will only run at 30 FPS to accomplish what the game needs to do, but it's important to call them what they are: The exceptions, not the rule.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I love how people act like the game wont be, at launch, scalable to be perfect playable on a low to mid-PC at 60 fps ...talking like 30 fps is the right and only choice for a game and watch almost every pc gamer scale down what they can to get the 60+ fps ... dont know if people are purposely disingenuous or just plain stupid...

Creative choice!!! Not for pc.. there you can blow our criatiive choice to hell and play it as you like.. oh.. no creative choice on the series s either.. there we ourselfs will blow it to hell so you can play it on this weak ass hardware.

Is laughable trying to watch people defend 30 fps only games in 2023... god damn .. have some standards ...

Justin9mm

I'll probably mix it up and play this @1440p on my 3080 PC and on my Series X. The graphics look amazing.. Not sure if 3080 PC is going to be a lot better sacrificing resolution for better framerate when I have a theatre room with full Atmos surround setup for my console.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh boy

We have yet another game dev coming out and vindicating what I have been saying.

60fps requires too much sacrifice.

Sacrificing gameplay, art, fidelity and scope all for ... framerate is unimaginably stupid. And selfish.

Cope. Or buy a goddamn PC. I am so done with this 60fps cheerleading nonsense. STFU and let devs make the games they want.

People think they are smarter than team of devs who spent millions. Let them make what they want and what they think is right

Kataploom

Gold Member
30 fps is not a "design choice", it's a compromise, they design their game and sacrifice fluidity for whatever they need. Nobody design a game and say "we rather make it 30 fps because it's better", they say "we need this and that, so 60 fps is not an option".

SJRB

Gold Member
What the hell is this guy talking about?

It was Xbox themselves that said that games would be 60 fps (Aaron Greenberg strikes again). Nobody is saying the 30fps is because the game is unfinished.

Fredrik

This is why console gaming needs the full settings menu. If it’s a choice then why not let the gamers make that choice instead of having to deal with this Twitter drama everytime?

Soodanim

Gold Member
"Game dev responds to dismissable Twitter claims by single person, struggling game news website desperate for clicks turns into published piece"

I'm part of the problem by even responding to this thread about absolutely nothing

Helghan

It's good to see that other people in the industry try to explain it too. Maybe people will now listen, but when I read this topic, not so much.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
Who is saying “unfinished?”
The things people say ranges from Unfinished to 60fps will be added later as paid DLC, honestly at this moment I feel like most people who talk shit about Zelda, FF16 and Starfield are exclusively commenting from their bathrooms.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I still doubt it's purely a visual thing and that they could do 1440p60 if they wanted to (if they could, but refuse to, they're absolute idiots), I think it's that it smashes the CPU too hard to do anything about it without redesigning the engine from the core (which they should but won't). Wouldn't matter if you turned the resolution down to 480p in that case, you still wouldn't get 60fps.

But no, that doesn't mean the game is "unfinished". It's looking very likely to be Bethesda's most finished game ever. Just still running on an old inefficient engine, with a new layer of shiny visuals on top.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Todd team has the perfect record of releasing glitchfest rushed games. Why would this be any different? Not saying that it is not going to be GotY for many but if you are expecting performance to be solid at release, you only have yourself to blame.

Oh boy

We have yet another game dev coming out and vindicating what I have been saying.

Sacrificing gameplay, art, fidelity and scope all for ... framerate is unimaginably stupid. And selfish.

Cope. Or buy a goddamn PC. I am so done with this 60fps cheerleading nonsense. STFU and let devs make the games they want.

Get out of here, I have never heard of a situation where targeting 60fps ever sacrificed this mysterious god-"gameplay". How ironic this SSM Graphic dev quoting DF for predicting 30fps when he clearly worked on a game that has performance AND HFR mode 🤦‍♂️ .

Look at the list of this sub-par 60fps and some *gasp* 120fps that selfishly sacrificed, the gameplay:

Last edited:

Banned
here a developer's thread about the 30fps debate:

I made a full screenshot of the thread as an alternative to clicking through it all:
screenshot_20230614_0nuftt.jpg

key quotes from this thread:
"30 FPS has 33ms of frame persistence, 60 FPS has 16ms. That's a huge difference, both in absolute terms and relative.

VR headsets strive for sub 1ms persistence. Why? Because if you turn your head, you get so much motion blur it makes you physically ill.

While blur won't make you ill on a TV or a monitor, it will make a mockery of the idea that you're actually benefitting from that 4K res.

I was around during 720p -> 1080p -> 4K res console generation shifts, and heard the justifications for supporting the higher res but 30p, vs lower res at 60p.

It was the same thing each time: marketing won over merit. 60 FPS has better gameplay/less latency, there's no doubt

If you actually look at motion resolution, 1080p 60 offers more detail during camera movement, and a clearer image even sitting far away from a TV on your couch. If you only look at static screenshots 1080p vs 4K calculus is very different than 30 vs 60 the second camera turns

As a rationalist I find the idea that "thou shalt not question the gods of gaming handing down the stone tablets for lowly peasants to worship w/o question" to be deeply offensive and patronizing.

4K 30 blurs to < 720p30 THE SECOND THE CAMERA MOVES.

33ms persistence, member?"

Last edited:
An advanced video game with ship building, space combat, RPG mechanics from previous bethesda games, detailed visuals, and people want it to be 60FPS on a measly console... Come on now

If you were lead to believe by Xbox marketing that everything will be 60fps, you got played

Exactly. I am fine with 30 fps games on console if they are attempting to be ambitious which Starfield looks to be doing with all its different systems in play. That CPU and GPU power is better being used on the current consoles, in my opinion, to create a more immersive world to explore. I can play the game at 60 fps on PC anyway and knowing Bethesda the game will likely get several re-releases over the next decade for the new Xbox generation which would then be powerful enough to run it at 60 fps or even 120 fps.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It would be 30fps on any current console and that is why pc hardware is an option.

It will be 60 one day...on a console in the future.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Oh boy

It’s fucking stupid that this even has to be said. Sacrifice creators vision to give a few people an extra 30 frames, or do the right thing and make the game you want to make.

Last edited:
Top Bottom