• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fidelity>Framerate. Come at me.

Banned
Console games have the biggest budgets, most talented and largest teams. Thats what truly matters.

All the HBAO VXAO RTAO LGTBQ+ in the world couldn't make Spider-Man on PC look better than the upcoming SpiderMan 2 on PS5 :messenger_grinning_smiling:

E_FU3KdWYAMfySm

E_FU2SzWQAMB1iD

it will look better tho, when it launches a few months later on PC.

also there's no way these are of in-game quality. that's some high-res offline render based on in-game assets.
and if you play that at 30fps you won't even see all that detail anyways :pie_roffles:

Motion BLUUUURRRRRR and Double Image BLUUUURRRRRRRR will kill all detail in motion

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Console games have the biggest budgets, most talented and largest teams. Thats what truly matters.

All the HBAO VXAO RTAO LGTBQ+ in the world couldn't make Spider-Man on PC look better than the upcoming SpiderMan 2 on PS5 :messenger_grinning_smiling:

E_FU3KdWYAMfySm

E_FU2SzWQAMB1iD
Everything matters, including technical stuff. Consoles and their games can't even exist without pc providing tech and can be better with the better tech on pc, as Spiderman 2 will be too on pc like spiderman is already.
ps: Imagine calling a blurry mess of DoF "best looking". Guess I will throw my glasses on trash for the world to look better.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
it will look better tho, when it launches a few months later on PC.

also there's no way these are of in-game quality. that's some high-res offline render based on in-game assets.
and if you play that at 30fps you won't even see all that detail anyways :pie_roffles:

Motion BLUUUURRRRRR and Double Image BLUUUURRRRRRRR will kill all detail in motion

Years later*

And then Wolverine will come out and look better again lol. It will just go back and forth.

They are in-engine. Game will look incredible

And what? 30fps will allow for higher resolution. If anything you'll see all that detail BECAUSE you play at 30 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Banned
Years later*

And then Wolverine will come out and look better again lol. It will just go back and forth.

They are in-engine. Game will look incredible

And what? 30fps will allow for higher resolution. If anything you'll see all that detail BECAUSE you play at 30 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

strobed-display-image-duplicates.png

look at that 1/2 image there... that's the best case scenario look of a 30fps game in motion on a 60hz TV ;)
and that is without any motion blur from the game or the TV panel... add that and everything in motion will lose all detail

Last edited:

Represent.

strobed-display-image-duplicates.png

look at that 1/2 image there... that's the best case scenario look of a 30fps game in motion on a 60hz TV ;)
and that is without any motion blur from the game or the TV panel... add that and everything in motion will lose all detail
You see, I'm a visual learner. I see this chart you post and I simply ignore it.

You show me that, I show you this.

30fps. Where is the blur?

Which one am I supposed to believe? My eyes or some lame chart?

And the game looks even better than this on my C1.

Banned
You see, I'm a visual learner. I see this chart you post and I simply ignore it.

I think you should believe the website that is made by people who know TV technology really well and have a website dedicated to this...

but I mean sure. you "don't see the blur"
Translation: "I see the blur but I ignore it and I don't care that my vision during fast camera motion is impaired compared to higher framerates at the native refresh of my panel. I like starring at non-moving images all day"

I also love how slow and rare the camera motions are in this video lol. "totally normal gameplay behaviour" of course panning the camera like you're filming a trailer reel. and at the end the action is about to start and it fades to black xD

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Always the same pointless stupid shit talking. No. 24 fps is not the same. Game is not a movie. If you played at 24 fps and then switched to 30 it’s like a jump from 30 to 60 lol.
but you talk about them like they are and continually praise cinematic games like TLOU and RDR so at that point just admit you'd rather watch a movie 🤷‍♂️

Represent.

but you talk about them like they are and continually praise cinematic games like TLOU and RDR so at that point just admit you'd rather watch a movie 🤷‍♂️
The typical boneheaded "High production values = movie game= bad" argument.

Why cant games have high production values without being criticized?

tygertrip

True. It’s a 500$ box and the nouveau riche pc boys who discovered 60fps think that they deserve everything the way they want because they can’t spend 10 minutes adjusting to different frame rate. I still think this ignorance comes with time. They will see what mistake it was to move consoles in pc direction

I am fine with 500 console and fine with its limitations. I find it really impressive in fact how good consoles are time and time again.

And I miss times when games were just games. Now everyone obsesses over this shit and devs have to make 7 modes of which none is good and 30 fps is way slower than 30 fps modes used to be in some games(proved in few games. Most are still ok)
I still can't figure out why 30 fps looks great in some games (Rift Apart), pure shit in others (Demon Souls PS5), and merely OK, but very playable (Bloodborne) in some. I'm not talking about in relation to the speed of the game, only a fucking mouth-breathing moron would claim Quake 3 is just dandy at 30 fps... a lightning-fast game like that is always going to be better at a higher framerate (though i used to play Quake 1 at 15 fps on a 486, i shit you not). Something like Demon Souls should be fine at 30, but its not, it sucks. WTF.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The typical boneheaded "High production values = movie game= bad" argument.

Why cant games have high production values without being criticized?
i never said any of that
i literally just said that the games he praises have a lot in common with movies.

Devil May Cry 5 has high production values. Resident Evil 8 and RE2 remake have high production values. Returnal has high production values. None feel like a movie quite like TLOU and RDR2 do though. and he never praises those games for the gameplay, mainly for the visuals, the story, characters, etc.

tygertrip

I don't know, I played RDR2 at 4K 60 fps (DLSS). Cinematic as fuck at 60, no matter what the console peasants claim. Don't get me wrong, after I finished RDR2 i pulled out my old PS3 and played the entirety of RDR 1, at 720p on an 82" 4K screen... oh god it was visually horrid (not to mention it was usually well below 30 fps... my eyes!!!)... a good game is a good game, i know. But after about the first 10 hours, i was kicking my ass for not downloading a 360 emulator and iso and playing it that way! Fuck if i was going to start over though, I have a life outside of games also. In closing, I'd just like to say... Fuck you, Dutch, you murdering asshole.

Last edited:

mrqs

If they make a game focusing on 30fps and then, later, make it work at 60fps, I have no problem. Focus on visual quality, then make it look worse for some annoying people.

Codeblew

I don't know, I played RDR2 at 4K 60 fps (DLSS). Cinematic as fuck at 60, no matter what the console peasants claim. Don't get me wrong, after I finished RDR2 i pulled out my old PS3 and played the entirety of RDR 1, at 720p on an 82" 4K screen... oh god it was visually horrid (not to mention it was usually well below 30 fps... my eyes!!!)... a good game is a good game, i know. But after about the first 10 hours, i was kicking my ass for not downloading a 360 emulator and iso and playing it that way! Fuck if i was going to start over though, I have a life outside of games also. In closing, I'd just like to say... Fuck you, Dutch, you murdering asshole.
Of course it was visually horrid, it was on a PS3.

Comandr

You're equating still avatar pics with interactive graphics??? LMAO, ok.
I’m still getting these replies huh. LMAO XD no I’m not. Of course the people that comment against this seem to not have any avatar at all. Fascinating.

My point is, when selecting an avatar, you choose an image. Of anything. A single still image. What defines that image is its art, subject, detail, color, etc. there are a zillion things that go into a picture that might make a person choose that. It appeals to them. No one can ever choose an image based on the frame rate. You can’t sell an image based on FPS.

Better art is always more appealing. People on this forum choose art that appeals to them.

Video game companies- bro get this- they make games look really really good and then they often use IMAGES of those games to promote the product. CRAZY high concept that many of you seem to fail to understand. The higher fidelity an image, the more appealing it typically is, and the better promotion it will achieve when a company advertises it. OMG LMFAAOOOOO.

Put succinctly, higher fidelity games sell good. Any Sony exclusive will vouch for this. And that’s why such companies will always choose to push the envelope and pursue good graphics over high frame rates.

TL;DR: You’re a fuckin moran.

rofif

Banned
running at 120fps alone on PC hardware with the option to turn off Vsync alone will reduce the input lag by at least 80% if not more ;) motion clarity of course is not even comparable tot he 30fps originals.

yeah, that's about to change very soon.
If you turn off vsync on pc, you either have a peasant monitor or don’t know What you are doing.
You enable gsync
Force nvcp vsync
A limit fps ceiling.
You should know that vsync with vrr is not the same vsync. That’s why you should disable it in game

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I praise these games because these are good games. Great graphics, story and gameplay.
You wouldn’t know anything about god game now would you. It’s all console games.

Edit. I think you are mixing me with someone. I don’t like rdr2 too much. I don’t think it looks that amazing and it plays bad. I only loved the characters.
I am death stranding guy over rdr2 in a heartbeat

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I still can't figure out why 30 fps looks great in some games (Rift Apart), pure shit in others (Demon Souls PS5), and merely OK, but very playable (Bloodborne) in some. I'm not talking about in relation to the speed of the game, only a fucking mouth-breathing moron would claim Quake 3 is just dandy at 30 fps... a lightning-fast game like that is always going to be better at a higher framerate (though i used to play Quake 1 at 15 fps on a 486, i shit you not). Something like Demon Souls should be fine at 30, but its not, it sucks. WTF.
True. Demons suck ass at 30.
It looks slow and feels slow. Df tested that is 75ms slower than bloodborne which was fast but had less than ideal 30 fps lock too

Fredrik

I never ever choose a fidelity or high resolution mode with lower framerates. High framerates makes a game look visually pleasing to me, the only games that work okay at lower framerates are really slow games and strategy games.
For PC it’s a why not both scenario though and that’s where I spend most of my time (and money).

Fredrik

Rotate the camera and try focusing on any detail. The motion clarity is gone.

It’s obviously no problem if you walk slowly and barely turn the camera. The problem with low fps comes from how the scenery or objects simply move too much between each screen update, it’s like 2D animation with too few frames, choppy motion.

The choppiness can be made less annoying with use of per object motion blur, but there is no way to keep the motion clarity without the frames you sacrifice when you drop the fps, you just hide some stutter.

mrqs

Just recorded this, I´m playing A Plague @74hz/37fps:

That is my bare minimum for non racing or mouse FPS.

I'm playing this one. It's giving me a bit of a headache. There are indeed some 30fps games that the camerawork is nauseating.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Great graphics, story and gameplay.
why do you never talk bout that last part then? 🤔 it's always how good the cinematics are, how well the story is written, how good the visuals are... but never how the game plays

I don't doubt that death stranding plays good but you seem to only talk about the visuals....

Infact, this is a MAJOR problem i have with gaf as well, people claim to be major game enthusiasts but i never see them talking about mostly gameplay focused games, it's either business stuff or visuals. People don't even talk about multiplayer games here. Like, at all. I can understand ignoring COD, but people don't talk about Battlefield, TF2, Titanfall 2, Doom (outside of that one 'eternal is the best singleplayer fps' thread), Half Life, Smash, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Tetris 99, nunavit. It's all big singleplayer stuff or businesses, it kind of pisses me off and it's one main reason why i make the threads i do, to obsess over something i love and get more people to talk specifically about games like that.
You wouldn’t know anything about good game now would you. It’s all console games.
i play a lotta good games mate, and its not like i hate these cinematic games either, a good story and good visuals can enrapture me quite a bit into a game. it just seems like these types are literally all you care bout.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just recorded this, I´m playing A Plague @74hz/37fps:

That is my bare minimum for non racing or mouse FPS.

Are the NPCs frozen in place? I’ve never seen a populated area look so lifeless.

Off topic but damn, they couldn’t add some animation? People should be bartering, picking up and examining items, walking about. Anything but just standing around.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

When Quake Test and then Quake first came out, I played the hell out of it at about 10-12 fps on my old 486 DX4/100. So you're "24 fps is the bare minimum to perceive an illusion of movement" is pure hogwash. "Muh movie industry!!!", lol. Anyway, I'll be damned if I'd play at 15, 24, or 30 now. 30 fps is a HUGE step down from 60. 30 needs to be left behind, just like 15 fps has been left behind. Good god, what's next, "muh cinematic feeling!!!!" 🙄
24 fps is not the bare minimum to perceive "illusion" of movement, you could perceive the "illusion" in any frame rate, however to perceive it as naturally moving animation without the stutter effect needs to be at least be 24 fps or more. 15 fps is extremely stuttery, not even movie or cartoon use this standard, in fact any form of media that heavily relies on "animation" don't use that standard

However I get how people could be playing older PC game with sub 20 fps and still have fun, I did it too back then, because it either sub 20 fps or nothing. 30 fps is a huge step down from 60, there is no denying that, but that is still not comparable to 15 fps to 30 fps, 15 fps just don't feel like its animation anymore.

The higher the frame rate the more diminished return, for example 120 fps to 60 fps is less noticeable compare to 60 fps to 30 fps, 240 fps to 120 fps is less noticeable than 120 fps to 60 fps etc.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
why do you never talk bout that last part then? 🤔 it's always how good the cinematics are, how well the story is written, how good the visuals are... but never how the game plays

I don't doubt that death stranding plays good but you seem to only talk about the visuals....

Infact, this is a MAJOR problem i have with gaf as well, people claim to be major game enthusiasts but i never see them talking about mostly gameplay focused games, it's either business stuff or visuals. People don't even talk about multiplayer games here. Like, at all. I can understand ignoring COD, but people don't talk about Battlefield, TF2, Titanfall 2, Doom (outside of that one 'eternal is the best singleplayer fps' thread), Half Life, Smash, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Tetris 99, nunavit. It's all big singleplayer stuff or businesses, it kind of pisses me off and it's one main reason why i make the threads i do, to obsess over something i love and get more people to talk specifically about games like that.

i play a lotta good games mate, and its not like i hate these cinematic games either, a good story and good visuals can enrapture me quite a bit into a game. it just seems like these types are literally all you care bout.
It’s not all I care about.
It’s just the topic of the discussion here.
There is no reason for me boasting how I put 200 hours in nether the gungeon or vampire survivors. Not cinematic games

Top Bottom