• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fidelity>Framerate. Come at me.

Trumpets

I'm exasperated with this '60fps or nothing' attitude that has infected gaming recently. Sure it's nice if a game runs at a steady 60hz but I'd far far rather the developers get their game looking as nice as possible at a steady 30fps than sacrifice fidelity. I didn't pay all that money for a PS5 just to play smoother running PS4 games.

Who's with me? You can't all be framerate fanatics surely?

mansoor1980

Gold Member
6xbpqi.jpg

Skifi28

Gold Member
You framerate junkies with your 30fps, why? I'd rather developers push graphics to the max and give us 15fps games. Graphics > framerate. 15fps is still perfectly playable as it keeps the illusion of motion, you don't need more than that.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

You framerate junkies with your 30fps, why? I'd rather developers push graphics to the max and give us 15fps games. Graphics > framerate.
24fps is the minimal threshold for human eye, below that we don't perceive as naturally moving animation, it felt more like power point presentation.

Edit: I'll just quote my own comment of me replying to to nkarafo here to make it clear so certain trolls would stop getting triggered by their own imagination instead my actual point

24fps was just a standard made by the film industry. It was like a balance between smooth enough motion and cost. Among some other things that have to do with audio i guess.

It's an archaic thing that people got used to. It's also about watching something passively, like a film. Interactivity requires higher rates to not be laggy/annoying.
My original statement was a response to someone think he is funny by comparing 15 fps to 30 fps, but some people tend to get triggered by their own imagination instead of my actual point

Saying something is minimal doesn't mean it has to be that way, higher is obviously better, however framerate below 24 fps felt like power point presentation instead of animation. the difference between 30 fps and 15 fps is much greater than comparing 60 fps to 30 fps. My point never was disregarding higher framerate being smoother, in fact I prefer higher framerate, but if framerate has to be cut for better fidelity, there should be a minimal threshold.

The reason that film industry use 24fps was originally a compromise for saving film stock cost, but why they stopped at 24 fps but not anything below is because after years of trial and error they found that 24fps is as low as it could get for the audience to still perceive the motion, anything below that creates uncomfortableness.

When someone is trying to make himself look clever by saying sarcastic nonsense like "hey why stop at 30 fps, let's do 15 fps" he had no idea what he was talking about (he later had to edit it by adding "15 fps keeps the illusion of motion" to make himself look less silly, which just proved my point). While its difficult to determine the maximum threshold of frame rate for our eyes, it way easier to determine the minimal threshold

Last edited:

TheDude108

You can definitely have both. Something like Demons Souls is a good example of this, the fidelity mode is pretty much redundant given how good their upscaling solution is. Similar with R&C.

30fps is perfectly acceptable depending on the game. But there are games where 60fps is almost required to have an enjoyable gameplay experience.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I only tolerate 30 fps on console with games that push the hardware to 120%.

They are cheap 500 dollars box, you can't ask high res, high framerate and big jump in graphic all at once for 8 years straight.

Next time people should avoid to cry at the thought of a console that cost more than 500 dollars, if not, shut the fuck up, it's your fucking fault for being a crybaby cheap fuck if we can't have both.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Firmly disagree now. The foal posts have moved. It's not even about vs 60 fps pc. Pcs are running more and more games at above 120fps. My new monitor is 260hz.

60hz should be the minimum now especially with oled technology taking over the display industry. 30fps looks rank on my tv. Maybe 40hz is the option but I've not tried it yet. My first look will be plague tale but the Mrs is hogging the TV so I'm starting on pc

Miles708

If 60fps have a decent graphics, 30fps is redundant.
Have you tried playing nioh at 30fps? Good luck with that.

Not every game needs it for gameplay purposes, but all games benefit from it.

Now there's even more advanced scaling solutions, dynamic res, advanced culling etc. so now more than even there should be a push in that sense.

Frame rate IS fidelity.

Nankatsu

I disagree. Personally I prefer performance over fidelity, if said fidelity is running at 30fps.

This generation, whenever I got back to 30fps games I struggled, and the fidelity OP talks about becomes so sluggish in my eyes that the experience is kind of ruined for me.

I consider players should be given both options and they should be the ones choosing if they want fidelity or performance.

Simple as that.

Last edited:
People that expected 60fps to be the new norm this gen were always going to have a rude awakening.
If you want affordable hardware like videogame consoles you will know that always comes at a price.

Want 120fps everywhere go to PC.

Not that fps matter. The GP doesn't care and developers know that that's not stopping people from buying games.
I'd bet A Plague's Tale sequel is doing better numbers than the first entry and this one only has a 30fps mode on consoles, lol.

Last edited:

cireza

I'd far far rather the developers get their game looking as nice as possible
Thinking that framerate is not part of what makes a game look good is wrong to begin with. If you think this way, then you can be satisfied with a gallery of nice artworks.

A perfectly smooth framerate makes the game much nicer. Nice graphics are not only about looking at a still picture. It is about looking at moving things and moving point of views.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Gold Member
I'm exasperated with this '60fps or nothing' attitude that has infected gaming recently. Sure it's nice if a game runs at a steady 60hz but I'd far far rather the developers get their game looking as nice as possible at a steady 30fps than sacrifice fidelity. I didn't pay all that money for a PS5 just to play smoother running PS4 games.

Who's with me? You can't all be framerate fanatics surely?
You can just have both options. 🤷‍♂️
You can appease those that like looking at games more than playing them.
& Those that want a good feeling experience.

I could say I didn't drop £450 to continue playing slideshows.

anthony2690

Gold Member
People that expected 60fps to be the new norm this gen were always going to have a rude awakening.
If you want affordable hardware like videogame consoles you will know that always comes at a price.

Want 120fps everywhere go to PC.

Not that fps matter. The GP doesn't care and developers know that that's not stopping people from buying games.
I'd bet A Plague's Tale sequel is doing better numbers than the first entry and this one only has a 30fps mode on consoles, lol.
It has a weird 40fps option too, what I'll give a try, but I'm hoping they patch in a 60fps mode.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
A perfectly smooth framerate makes the game much nicer. Nice graphics are not only about looking at a still picture. It is about looking at moving things and moving point of views.
Not only that, but it also removes the feeling of driving a tank thanks to the increased input latency. Especially games where you have to aim suffers from 30 fps.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I have been playing 30fps for the majority of my life so no real issue to me.

Now that we have the options on console though, I MUCH prefer playing in 60fps.

If next gen games are releasing without a 60fps it will certainly make me reconsider buying them until a patch is released.

As a few other Gaffers have mentioned, we should be expecting 60fps as an “option” in the vast majority of games these days on next gen machines.

Given the choice between 2160p30 and 1440p60 I would always choose the second option, hell maybe even 1080p60 if it had to go that low. Overall it depends on the game. Prey made me feel sick almost instantly on PlayStation but the 60 FPS boost it received on Xbox made it awesome.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
As long as you're playing at 1440p minimum. 1080p on a TV/monitor looks ancient to me now. We're not far off that on dedicated handhelds at this point and plenty of phones have insane resolutions.

Godot25

Banned
Well. I tried to play Plague Tale Requiem yesterday. At 30FPS.
I could not play it.
So I will wait until devs will patch 60FPS option or until I will buy VRR TV so I can at least play at 40FPS.

If game was not on Game Pass I would try to return it, because I refuse to play it at 30FPS.

Drell

Did not read the whole topic. I won't say you're totally right but neither people who see a steady 30 fps game as a "slideshow". I don't care about this whole 120, 240 or 300hz thing personally. Neither do I care for 8k.
I'll take a complex 3d open world game at 1080p30fps over any boring 2CM^2 maps of a CoD game at 16k1000Hz.

Lethal01

Given the choice between 2160p30 and 1440p60 I would always choose the second option, hell maybe even 1080p60 if it had to go that low. Overall it depends on the game. Prey made me feel sick almost instantly on PlayStation but the 60 FPS boost it received on Xbox made it awesome.

You almost got it

Give me 1080p 30 with maxed out graphical settings.
Give me realistic lighting.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I mean has there ever been a performance mode that has been drastically different looking?
For me it is about how it feels, 60fps feels 10 times better than 30fps.

4K does not look 10 times better than 1440P, probably for my old ass eyes, only about 1 - 1.5 times better than 1440P. If that, sometimes I can really not notice much difference at all.

The trade off for that increased resolution is not worth it, in my opinion.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

you get 60+fps and the best visuals when you buy a computer : D

Frankly while I despise 30fps I think that consoles would be better off woth all the next gen games being 30, you get the uncompromised versions of the game at a lower fps, and we get the uncompromised versions of the Game at any fps we want. 30fps is better for getting the best visuals on consoles

Last edited:
Top Bottom