• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable New Trailer Revealed | Xbox Showcase 2023

Kacho

T

The fan art looks miles better than the actual design lol. And maybe my grammar is terrible but what does: “Losing it the office over this” even mean?
He's losing it in the office because he's happy to see fan art, but it's just so over the top and forced. He's obviously seen the criticism over the look of the character so that probably has something do with it.

Rykan

There’s enough games I don’t like, so I don’t play them, and I never complain about them because it’s just not a game of my interest for whatever reason.

I’d say you are allowed to call out bad/terrible design though and that’s what I’m doing here. Nobody in their right mind will agree that this protagonist shown looks good or is fun to look at in any way. It’s an insult to the actual face actress. And we all know the most likely reason why the character does look as she does.
Yeah, we do. Because it's a comedy game and making the character “attractive” wasn't the intention. Just like we know the reason why you will never make the same complaints about a male character.

Yeah, we do. Because it's a comedy game and making the character “attractive” wasn't the intention. Just like we know the reason why you will never make the same complaints about a male character.
But I would if they would make male playable characters ugly on purpose, which for some obscure reason they don’t.

Ozriel

M$FT
Lets see if the game itself even looks like that when it’s getting released. Factually you have seen nothing yet and it might end up like how halo infinite looked pretty good at reveal, and like total crap on release.

I hope it’ll look as good as the trailer though but I wouldn’t trust it until I see it with my own eyes on release. MS does not have this reputation to be showing representative images before release unfortunately, since the Xbox era.

Crackdown 3, Halo Infinite, and many other older games, loads of bull shots and fake cgi gameplay segments.

Clearly looks like you popped in here in bad faith, then, since Halo Infinite’s reveal was an in-engine trailer and wasn’t passed off as ‘in-game’.

Now you know the character was modeled after an actual female model and yet you’ve still got the video up by that clown (and your supporting editorial) claiming she was modeled after a man. Shameless.

The main characters from GTA 4 and GTA 5 are ugly as fuck. Gears of War has plenty of ugly playable characters.
Yes gears is pretty bad design I’d say 🤣, personal opinion though I guess. GTA characters however, that is a good example of making characters ugly on purpose. They look exactly as they should. There’s a difference between this, and creating ugly characters from a false sense of diversity and inclusion.

Also, any Bethesda game characters are always ugly as hell with their lack of facial gestures and movement, mostly staring into the distance, even in Starfield, but that’s just because of how they develop the game itself I’d guess. Bad design, and I can accept that however because the games themselves are awesome mostly.

Last edited:
Clearly looks like you popped in here in bad faith, then, since Halo Infinite’s reveal was an in-engine trailer and wasn’t passed off as ‘in-game’.

Now you know the character was modeled after an actual female model and yet you’ve still got the video up by that clown (and your supporting editorial) claiming she was modeled after a man. Shameless.
The character looks more like the guy than the actual female. You’re blind if you don’t see that. Maybe they didn’t it that on purpose but that is what the characters face looks like.

On Halo, I think with that reveal trailer everyone thought the game would look like that, or close to it at least. Not like at release when it looked more like a last gen Halo than a next gen game.

Trailer here just for trailer purposes:

Last edited:
Depends on the RPG. Something like Disco Elysium suits having a fixed character. But yeh something like Fable, assuming this one works like the others, should have one.

I've only ever played Fable 1. I believe that had a fixed character and the only thing you could change was the gender. What were the others like?

DKehoe

I've only ever played Fable 1. I believe that had a fixed character and the only thing you could change was the gender. What were the others like?
With 2 you could choose male or female and then customised stuff like their hair. I think I thought you could do more than that, my mistake. But having it in this one would be good.

oji-san

Banned
I think the MC looks cool.
Don't mind playing as "ugly" characters, after playing as papa Nier nothing scares me anymore.

Ozriel

M$FT
The character looks more like the guy than the actual female. You’re blind if you don’t see that. Maybe they didn’t it that on purpose but that is what the characters face looks like.

So they hired a female model, paid her and still went on to model the protagonist after a random employee just to - checks note - trigger you with a face you see every day?

On Halo, I think with that reveal trailer everyone thought the game would look like that, or close to it at least. Not like at release when it looked more like a last gen Halo than a next gen game.

Whether or not anyone assumed it would look like that is immaterial. It was always discussed as a Slipspace engine trailer. In-engine.

footage explicitly labeled as ‘in-game’ with interspersed gameplay segments is way more definitive than that…especially with vegetation fidelity and density reminiscent of some Forza Horizon 5 spots and a visual artist that worked on the scene telling you the game will look just like that and that the scenes were captured on console.

oji-san

Banned
They better let you create your own protagonist. I'll never understand why that's not an option for all modern RPG's anyway.
I rather have a fixed character, could never make a better Geralt or Shepard and always goes with the default design when there's an option. Wanted to play as V from the trailers of CP2077 but wasn't an option.

Is it coming out this year? They are probably still fine-tuning that stuff. This was to show the general atmosphere in the game, and how it will look graphically.
I’ll say this in any thread about game reveals.

The gold standard ones I’ve seen have been GOW 2018, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Days Gone and Rift Apart. Either a trailer leading into gameplay or a short leading into gameplay. Day’s Gone actually had a trailer to set the tone and then later on had an extended demo.

I wish more studios (regardless of ‘side’) did that.

Rykan

Yes gears is pretty bad design I’d say 🤣, personal opinion though I guess. GTA characters however, that is a good example of making characters ugly on purpose. They look exactly as they should. There’s a difference between this, and creating ugly characters from a false sense of diversity and inclusion.

Also, any Bethesda game characters are always ugly as hell with their lack of facial gestures and movement, mostly staring into the distance, even in Starfield, but that’s just because of how they develop the game itself I’d guess. Bad design, and I can accept that however because the games themselves are awesome mostly.
Yeah okay. When male characters are ugly, it's because they are ugly on purpose. But when a female character is ugly in a comedy based game, it's “Woke and political”. Seek counseling.

Yeah okay. When male characters are ugly, it's because they are ugly on purpose. But when a female character is ugly in a comedy based game, it's “Woke and political”. Seek counseling.
Sure sure, just ignore what’s been going on the past couple of years. Educate yourself my man, or woman, or other.

Rykan

Sure sure, just ignore what’s been going on the past couple of years. Educate yourself my man, or woman, or other.
I need to educate myself? You're the one posting videos from grifters spreading false information. I'm not sure why you think you're in a position to tell anyone to "educate yourself" when you've already been caught posting misinformation and you've proven that you easily fall for grifters.

CGNoire

abfb57e0cd0624ca.jpeg
I still think she looks appropriate for Fable but this....this is Fucking Hillarious.

Amey

In a decade or so we'll be able to run realtime AI filters of our choice on any game. Until then there's...
cRjWm4L.jpg

hyperbertha

People doubting that this is in game have obviously never played Forza Horizon.

I have no reason to doubt Playground games. Those guys are serious wizards.
Racing games have looked very good since forever. I remember thinking gt on PS3 looked too good to be true. Making an impressive looking racing game is not indicative of graphical prowess.
But I admit fable looks very good. I doubt it will look like this on release tho.

Ozriel

M$FT
when you've already been caught posting misinformation and you've proven that you easily fall for grifters.

Even worse, he’s kept the misinformation up.

Wow everything about her is ugly.

You guys outing yourselves in this thread

Racing games have looked very good since forever. I remember thinking gt on PS3 looked too good to be true. Making an impressive looking racing game is not indicative of graphical prowess.
But I admit fable looks very good. I doubt it will look like this on release tho.

He’s not talking about the car models, which every racing game focuses on. The environments, vegetation/foliage, water, ground textures etc are top drawer in FH5…and it’s the same engine.

It’s fully indicative of graphical prowess. You can’t handwave it away because it’s in the racing genre

meernakh

When the VO in the trailer sets the expectation of the “perfect” hero with the high cheekbones and they follow up with a reveal of a plain jane everyday hero then it might be safe to assume the intent is comedy and not political, woke, whatever.

But when you look for outrage in everything you tend to find it. Just skip the game if that’s you.

Wow everything about her is ugly. Gotta be the worst looking main character in a game ever. What is the absolute obsession with western devs making women look ugly?
Ssssst please don’t mention that in this thread. There are some people that will come after you for stating an absolute and easy truth. It’s almost like they’ve come from some another site that we should not mention in this ERA.

Angry Gaspar Noe GIF by Arrow Video
Angry Jim Henson GIF by Muppet Wiki

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Forza Horizon is a masterclass in environmental world building, from props to lighting, weather systems, time of day, seasons etc. The engine the team at Playground have that has been used for a racing game could easily translate into an open world adventure game and look as good as this showing. I have no doubt about that.

Looks more like the employee than the model to me too, but I can see a little influence from both.

abfb57e0cd0624ca.jpeg

07f7ef6e-6eb6-485b-8cdiby.jpeg

If the Fable character is really based on JUST the model, they did a worse job than the guys that made Mass Effect Andromeda. This would be a new low.

Top Bottom