• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable New Trailer Revealed | Xbox Showcase 2023

How characters look in a game 'doesn't or shouldn't matter?' That's odd, and completely unattainable given human nature. I'm sure their appearance matters to you in ways you just haven't examined.
I didn't say how a character looks doesn't matter. I said, if you read it, that the character being a 10, doesn't matter. No character has to be drop dead gorgeous. They just have to be likeable, and not completely hideous with redeeming features.

Why are there so many people on Gaf who can't read?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
she's british... what do you expect? xD
also most likely there'll be a character editor.
Meanwhile, in America

fWMHXuN.jpg

AdSwfCa.gif

Honestly, all I care about at the end of the day, is the gameplay. You can play a very pretty game, but it plays like shit. Or you can play a game that mixes great looking visuals and gameplay (best of both worlds). If Guerilla Games can achieve graphics like these in Forbidden West, then I have no reason to believe that PG won't be able to do that too, they're great at optimisation (better than most of Xbox's in-house studios). But then again, Hellblade II looked better a while ago than it did in the showcase, so some concern is certainly there for me. Don't judge me, but it certainly is reasonable to be suspect of trailers like these, especially when the game shown is far off from release. I'll reserve judgement until more is shown. Until then, I'll keep my judgement and expectations to myself.

Honey Bunny

I didn't say how a character looks doesn't matter. I said, if you read it, that the character being a 10, doesn't matter. No character has to be drop dead gorgeous. They just have to be likeable, and not completely hideous with redeeming features.

Why are there so many people on Gaf who can't read?
I didn't say a character 'has to be' anything. I said, if you read it, I *prefer* them to be pretty most of the time, because I like to fantasise about a relationship with pretty women, not ugly ones. Just like I like to fantasise about being strong and capable man in these games, not a useless one who stays inside playing videogames all day.

Why are there so many people on Gaf who get personal over a simple disagreement?

Last edited:
Seconds of gameplay snippets maybe.

But it was 95% a cutscene at best.
That's what the "it was gameplay" crowd doesn't get, you aren't controlling the guy as he's talking to the camera, you aren't controlling her when she's sitting down at the end with the sandwich and that scene where she was called a wanker and turned around probably wasn't something that you control either lol. The majority of the video was that guy talking to the camera which had to be done just for the trailer, that wouldn't make sense at all for it to be in a fable game, why would a guy be interrviewed on camera in Albion, that tech doesn't exist to begin with, hell they don't have electric power lol.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
How so? For me it really looks a lot like Fable. The style as well as the atmosphere, but it’s been a while since I’ve played Fable 1-3 so enlighten me if I missed something.

Art style is way off.

Fable was never about being realistic.

It had more of a stylized look, almost cartoony, which was in stark contrast to its mature undertones.

Ammogeddon

So I hear this bloke parading around in women’s clothing is upsetting a few people?

Their faces when they talk remind me a little of Mass Effect Andromeda. Yeah I went there.

Jokes aside, I’m looking on my forward to it. Loved the Fable games.

• Surprised
Reactions: Isa
I feel it would be pretty bad for Playground to show something that they know they can't reach in the final game. Minor downgrades are expected and normal for any game in development, but if the final game ends up being considerably downgraded the backlash will be big and MS can't afford that. I hope PG delivers because Fable was the second best thing shown at "E3 season" for me and I'm really excited to see more of the game.

SaintALia

Didnt they distinguish between “in game” and “in engine” in the showcase - and fable was “in game”
You know, I thought I was taking crazy pills for thinking this, or I simply wasn't explaining myself well, but seems even people here, resetera, reddit and even Digital Foundry(John Linneman said it was 'interesting wording' as to use 'in-game' to describe what was happening) had issues with the 'gameplay' presented, as in, 'a game in play'.

On the whole, irrelevant. In a few years we will see the actual game in play. I am looking forward to what deviations or improvements these new devs make to Fable. If it will continue with it's crazy ambitions, or go for a more 'streamlined' approach, incorporate 'Dark Souls' style play into it's combat like so many others. Lots of possibilities. I wanted to find that out at the event, but I've been waiting years for it, I can wait a few more.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

People are stupid then if they think this is not real or the gameplay would not look like this.

The 1st top-left image, for example, is very similar looking to Kena Bridge of Spirits. Image #2 looks very similar to The Witcher 3 XSX edition. Image #4 looks very similar to Hogwart's Legacy XSX.

This fidelity level is definitely achievable and has been the case for years now. Kena, for example, launched in September 2021. Fable would at least be in 2024 or, more likely, 2025. A AAA team can match the fidelity of Kena, which was released 3-4 years ago by a 12-team studio.

Last edited:
People are stupid then if they think this is not real or the gameplay would not look like this.

The 1st top-left image, for example, is very similar looking to Kena Bridge of Spirits. Image #2 looks very similar to The Witcher 3 XSX edition. Image #4 looks very similar to Hogwart's Legacy XSX.

This fidelity level is definitely achievable and has been the case for years now. Kena, for example, launched in September 2021. Fable would at least be in 2024 or, more likely, 2025. A AAA team can match the fidelity of Kena, which was released 3-4 years ago by a 12-team studio.
What they showed looks significantly better than the games you listed.

Darsxx82

You must be joking or trying to change the discourse after the studio manifests that it is gameplay.... Same level as Kena?? Seriously?? Anyway, some of you do not know how to detract from anything that comes from XBOX. In your case it is not that it is a surprise ...

What is shown there is a level of visual fidelity top, certainly above the average seen so far. That finally the game comes to look like this or not we will see (I expect some downgrade), but to come to say that this level is not superior to an indi and other games of meridian visual quality is ......... a joke even coming from you. Of course more stupid than to get to think that what the trailer shows is not gameplay.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You must be joking or trying to change the discourse after the studio manifests that it is gameplay.... Same level as Kena?? Seriously?? Anyway, some of you do not know how to detract from anything that comes from XBOX. In your case it is not that it is a surprise ...

What is shown there is a level of visual fidelity top, certainly above the average seen so far. That finally the game comes to look like this or not we will see (I expect some downgrade), but to come to say that this level is not superior to an indi and other games of meridian visual quality is ......... a joke even coming from you. Of course more stupid than to get to think that what the trailer shows is not gameplay.
OrnarfP.jpg
GjldHJs.jpg

Don't both look similar in visual fidelity? (ignore the differences in art style).

P.S. Kena is a gorgeous game. You should be happy if Fable is compared to that, which means Fable is also looking gorgeous. Not sure why you took so much offense in that compliment lol.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

OrnarfP.jpg
GjldHJs.jpg

Don't both look similar in visual fidelity? (ignore the differences in art style).

P.S. Kena is a gorgeous game. You should be happy if Fable is compared to that, which means Fable is also looking gorgeous. Not sure why you took so much offense in that compliment lol.

Only you can get to see the same visual fidelity in those two captures. In fact, that you are using screenshots and in addition to lamentable quality says everything about you. But, I repeat, it's you, no surprise.

And yes, Kena can look beautiful visually, but you only need to have played it to know that it is stupid to even get a proper comparison to what the trailer of Fable shows in terms of visual fidelity

I'm with most people here. The new main character is straight-up ugly. 'She' looks androgynous, more like a low-testosterone man in women's clothes. I've never understood why creators push for a female protagonist and then proceed to strip them of their femininity. The very thing that makes them potentially interesting. In modern games, the typical female protagonist talks, thinks, acts and behaves exactly like a man. If that is the case then why not just go with a man? That's what makes these decisions shallow and pandering. In my opinion, pushing this overly masculine portrayal of a woman is more insulting than the historic 'tropes' that a small contingent typically complained about. At least the 'tropes' are an exaggeration of femininity, not an absolute abandonment.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Only you can get to see the same visual fidelity in those two captures. In fact, that you are using screenshots and in addition to lamentable quality says everything about you. But, I repeat, it's you, no surprise.

And yes, Kena can look beautiful visually, but you only need to have played it to know that it is stupid to even get a proper comparison to what the trailer of Fable shows in terms of visual fidelity
I'm using the same screenshot that the Fabel developer shared. What else was I supposed to use instead of that?

Darsxx82

I'm using the same screenshot that the Fabel developer shared. What else was I supposed to use instead of that?
There are better captures in many places even if you capture the 4K trailer you get better quality..... It certainly wasn't that you made an effort to show reality. That said, no matter what captures you use, there is a 4K video to assess visual fidelity. The comparison with Kena is stupid, certainly much more than thinking that what is shown is not gameplay

SirTerry-T

Us Brits luv the female mouthy, gobshite battleaxe archetype....as a friend, mind...not boffing material.

I reckon they were going for that Lauren Socha/Kelly Bailey out of Misfits vibe.

(And if you haven't ever watched Misfits, you need to watch Misfits...pisses all over any X-Men film)

Last edited:
Strange wording.

that the game will look like this

Wouldn’t the correct English be;

that the game looks like this
I'd imagine it's a bit of both, obviously given its not coming out for about 2 years (guess on my part) not all of the game currently looks like this. Only some areas which were used for the trailer would have gotten the extra care to get to that level.

Ozriel

M$FT
Strange wording.

that the game will look like this

Wouldn’t the correct English be;

that the game looks like this

Not really that strange, if the context is “the game will look like this when you get to play it on your TV”.

But yeah, I agree the more reassuring statement is to say it the way you captured it in your last sentence.

Based on everything that's come out about this game so far, I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually all they have so far. Like literally just this trailer, an in-engine target, and no actual game so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom