• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Impressive First In-Game Trailer Was Captured on Xbox Series X

It's because that kind of face is real.
636613129004216540-EPA-QATAR-ATHLETICS-IAAF-99631429.JPG

Her name is Caster Semenya. There are women like her who look like a man.

I think this T stuff makes it less believable these days.
Nah thats a man.

Yeah, these are the only two possibilities. A model or ugly. No in-between. No sir.
She looked kinda basic, wasnt fat, didnt have grotesque facial structure or characteristics. Reminded me of some nerdy chicks in school.

Shes just didnt have generic hyper eurocentric features.

A chick that would want ti fight and such, realistically...would probably look like that in that era lol I'd be more annoyed if she didnt look physically in shape.

But you see, there's this, who didn't choose what she looks like, and there's that thing in Fable, who was made that way on purpose. Let's not act naive and justify the unjustifiable.

Edit: hold on a second.. are you trolling? I googled this person and got this:
"Semenya is an intersex woman, with 5α-Reductase 2 deficiency, assigned female at birth, with XY chromosomes and natural heterogametic testosterone level."

The person is biologically male, but identified as female at birth. That's the reason why "she looks like a man". This again only proves my point.
I didn't even do that much research and no I wasn't just being mean. One look and that's a whole ass dude.

Last edited:
You hear that Fable devs? Make her look like Natalie Portman from the movie Your Highness!

I liked what I saw and it seems that at least the humor, like in the previous trailer is on point. Definitely hoping we see more of the game sooner rather than later.

MarkMe2525

I don't understand what people are arguing over. Was it gameplay? No. Was it offline CGI? No. It was a in-engine cutscene montage. This is nothing new as almost every AAA game has them.

Will it look like this? Yes, it will look "like" this, but of course it will have less high frequency detail and post processing while actually playing. What are so many people arguing over?

I see people bringing up Killzone 2 and Watchdogs as an example of other companies showing "bullshots", but I think these examples really don't drive that point home.

Watchdogs, for example, was actually able to achieve visuals similar to what was shown in the initial trailer. This was until Ubisoft was pressured to neuter and hide the highest quality effects in an effort to force parity with the newly released next-gen consoles.

When the Sony exec stated the Killzone 2 trailer was running on a PS3, the dev team was furious due to that not being the case. After it was all said and done, Guerilla Games almost pulled it off and brought out a game that almost lived up to what we were promised.

Lastly, when has Playground games shown us something and not delivered on their promises. If it were another team, then I would more so understand the skepticism.

Rant/

Corndog

Banned
I don't understand what people are arguing over. Was it gameplay? No. Was it offline CGI? No. It was a in-engine cutscene montage. This is nothing new as almost every AAA game has them.

Will it look like this? Yes, it will look "like" this, but of course it will have less high frequency detail and post processing while actually playing. What are so many people arguing over?

I see people bringing up Killzone 2 and Watchdogs as an example of other companies showing "bullshots", but I think these examples really don't drive that point home.

Watchdogs, for example, was actually able to achieve visuals similar to what was shown in the initial trailer. This was until Ubisoft was pressured to neuter and hide the highest quality effects in an effort to force parity with the newly released next-gen consoles.

When the Sony exec stated the Killzone 2 trailer was running on a PS3, the dev team was furious due to that not being the case. After it was all said and done, Guerilla Games almost pulled it off and brought out a game that almost lived up to what we were promised.

Lastly, when has Playground games shown us something and not delivered on their promises. If it were another team, then I would more so understand the skepticism.

Rant/
It wasn’t in engine. It was gameplay. Most of it looked non interactive though.

Edit: already posted I believe but just to reiterate.

Edit2: main character is still hideous though.

Last edited:

JayK47

What have they done to Fable? And is that the main character? So many boxes checked. I thought the original let you pick and make your character. This so called Fable game doesn't look anything like the original trilogy and just looks boring. With so many other really good looking games coming out, this looks to be a flop.

oldergamer

Rant/
GG did not almost pull it off. Not even close. It was flat out cg and the game they made was visually good it wasn't close. Here's one Sony said heavenly sword was running on a PS3. I knew someone working at ninja theory and he told me it was, but at 2 fps. It was all pre renders that made up the animation. Sony did this with a bunch of games ahead of PS3 launch.

MarkMe2525

GG did not almost pull it off. Not even close. It was flat out cg and the game they made was visually good it wasn't close. Here's one Sony said heavenly sword was running on a PS3. I knew someone working at ninja theory and he told me it was, but at 2 fps. It was all pre renders that made up the animation. Sony did this with a bunch of games ahead of PS3 launch.
I don't know man, if you look at the trailer and the actual intro, they got close to my eyes. Minus the smoke effects, I probably even like the look of the real game more than the announcement trailer.

John Wick

I don't understand why we are arguing over this game when it's nowhere near finished? I didn't notice it being actual gameplay but just in engine cutscene. Let's wait for final release before looking stupid.

feynoob

Banned
I don't understand why we are arguing over this game when it's nowhere near finished? I didn't notice it being actual gameplay but just in engine cutscene. Let's wait for final release before looking stupid.
Because drama.
It's like this with every gaming news.

Clearly neither do given all computer graphics are CGI 😂
Point being no gameplay, I dont care what your fanboy argument is, no gameplay = Not convinced.
Then no, you don't know the difference. CGI is created without any gameplay dynamics, no physics, no gameplay dynamics. It purely like a pixar move is made.
In-engine and in-game are done using the game engine and accounting for all the physics etc that the game will use.

There was some gameplay in there if you looked hard enough. The fact there isn't a hud on it doesn't mean shit.

What you should be saying is how Playground have done a super job in creating some amazing looking graphics.
We have a new king in town.

This is going to be really interesting, just how many of these features are we getting and now they are being used are we going to see what this hardware can really do.
We'll probably learn more earlier from Forza Motorsport breakdown.
Turn 10 really need to do a talk on their new engine. Alot of people would love to see what that engine is doing.

CGNoire

One game even said its running on PC with XSX settings. If they are being that honest about it, I have no reason to doubt them on this particular game.
The "them" your referring to isnt the same them. One is Playground the other is CDPR neither are MS. What Im saying is there is no mandatory caption required by MS. CDPR where transparent with there settings but that doesnt have anything to do with others transparency.

CGNoire

It looked amazing and yeah you can see that it's real-time graphics because there's various details such as the giant's lips, his tie, and some scenes with the girl running away from the giant that show that this is still video game graphics and not CGI.
Yah the scenes with the giant seemed far closer to expectations but for tme the town and pub seemed at the very least finacially out of reach for a whole game.

CGNoire

They won’t eat it. They’ll refuse or move goalposts
Ill happily eat it and enjoy the shit out of the crow if this is what we get....but Its far more likely we graphics whores will be gaslit up and down the street about how it looks just as good or better than the reveal reguardless of the downgrade.

CGNoire

Because the settings is in medivial.
The character isn't a hot knight who doesn't get dirty. This is an accurate representation of medivial times.

c0ad135763a03cceba1b5d932e.jpg

Only rich people were hygiene enough to be pretty.
I agree her look was completely appropriate and in lock and step with the tone of Fable. She looks like a barmaid wench from Shrek. She also seems to have a good amount of charisma as well.

Yes she is a butterface and in this game thats ok.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
And anyone who knows Fable knows the character changes and you spend most of your time seeing the back of the character. I really don't get the fuss myself. The game engine is amazing
So why even have a face? Maybe they can just use Steve. And I have played all 3 main fable games.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
In my experience. It’s single lonely men that have a problem with this. People with good looking wives or girlfriends don’t give a fuck about what a character looks like in a game they’re playing. It’s lonely virgin gamers that want to fantasize being with every character they playing as. It’s weird as fuck.

Well to be honest, having videogame producers/directors pushing for Chewbacca-after-running-his-face-into-a-wall-looking women in all videogames to promote their dishonest virtue-signaling for fat and ugly acceptance is something that indeed bothers me, a married man in a relationship with a woman for 18 years and 2 kids.

And in my experience, your argument is a bit typical of soy boys (colloquially known as "video game journalists" here at GAF) who one day hope to get the attention of their overweight radical feminist friend with hairy armpits, blue hair and demand to be called they/them.
I'm not saying that's the case with you, of course.

I guess to you, all of the world's digital and broadcasted media and advertising prior to 2010, plus all the painters, sculptors, writers, poets and musicians who always had an overwhelming preference to represent and describe beautiful people throughout the millennia were all "single lonely virgins", or had ugly wives.

Batiman

Banned
Well to be honest, having videogame producers/directors pushing for Chewbacca-after-running-his-face-into-a-wall-looking women in all videogames to promote their dishonest virtue-signaling for fat and ugly acceptance is something that indeed bothers me, a married man in a relationship with a woman for 18 years and 2 kids.

And in my experience, your argument is a bit typical of soy boys (colloquially known as "video game journalists" here at GAF) who one day hope to get the attention of their overweight radical feminist friend with hairy armpits, blue hair and demand to be called they/them.
I'm not saying that's the case with you, of course.

I guess to you, all of the world's digital and broadcasted media and advertising prior to 2010, plus all the painters, sculptors, writers, poets and musicians who always had an overwhelming preference to represent and describe beautiful people throughout the millennia were all "single lonely virgins", or had ugly wives.
I guess you haven’t seen sculptures and paintings of women from eras where this type of game setting takes place?

If this really is what our protagonist looks like, I'm getting this on gamepass and will just repeatedly throw her off of a cliff.

wkh86o1.jpg

lol. She genuinely does look like a man there. If I saw her on the street, I'd have to do a double-take to help determine whether she was female or not.
I truly think that a lot of the people who are in charge of these games, are threatened by beautiful women.

mrcroket

The clearest way to see that xbox has sold significantly less consoles than the competition is the comments of many in this thread refusing to accept that the game will look amazing.

Guys, we are talking about the studio that created Forza, not ubisoft, if they say that these are the graphics of the game there is no reason not to believe them.

The clearest way to see that xbox has sold significantly less consoles than the competition is the comments of many in this thread refusing to accept that the game will look amazing.

Guys, we are talking about the studio that created Forza, not ubisoft, if they say that these are the graphics of the game there is no reason not to believe them.
trust is not regained just by one showcase.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s really mostly the good depth of field, motion blur and IQ that is doing the work. The bits that looked more like gameplay, aside from those aspects, didn’t really look good to the point of being mistaken for cgi.

I’m excited to see how much life the game has once they show the gameplay demo. One of the hardest aspects of making these scenarios look alive is that you need a lot of movement from the foliage, the threes, etc.

Also curious about the scale of the world.

Playground Games has been in existence for more than 10 years, it was formed by former employees of Codemasters, Bizarre Creations, Criterion Games and others. And they have never disappointed, but hey now it turns out that they sure will because potato.
only a fanboy thinks like that.

Top Bottom