• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Impressive First In-Game Trailer Was Captured on Xbox Series X

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Its a reminder to people that normal we have here didnt exist back then, due to low hygiene.
We have products that can wash the dirt faster, compared to that era.

A 30 year old person would look like a 50 year old person in that era.
People in the middle ages didn't look like goblins, poor hygiene or not. You posted a picture with fairly normal looking people.

That chick in the trailer is aggressively ugly and they went the extra mile to make her look facially unpleasant to look at.

Batiman

Banned
Sorry for the laugh emoji earlier, thought I should ask you something and I’ll ignore the teenage talk if that’s okay.

Why exactly would you not want the main character to be good looking?

It’s not a real person, you don’t have to defend the looks, or go on about how it’s the inside that matters and she has a heart of gold or whatever. Everything is fiction. It’s a 3D model, polygons, textures, shaders, some lines of code, a bio someone has made up and voice recordings. Nothing more or less.

So, pretty or not pretty, what would you rather take and why?

Goes for male characters too, main protagonist, a handsome hunk of a man or a fat slob?

Scenery in your adventure game, beautiful or ugly?

I’ll be honest I can’t even relate to this supposedly brave new world where somehow something fictional that looks good is bad and something looking bad needs to be defended or praised. It’s not like I would skip a game if the main protag is ugly but I always prefer eye candy no doubt.
Just having something different is more exciting. An ugly sword swinging drunk chick kinda suits fable and could add to the humour. Some of my favourite female characters or actors aren’t the best looking either.

And fables not even a realistic game so it doesn’t really matter. It’s more funny when people complain about ugly chicks in more realistic games and still ask for realism. TBH there’s not many hot chicks that would swing swords, gunfight, hunt etc. Sure there are some but it doesn’t really come off as believable. Abbys a good example. It’s like people wanted Samus Aran type character in a post apocalyptic world.

I was just saying to my son the other day that it would be cool to have a bad ass fat character in a game for once. Every character just comes off like brad Pitt in every AAA game. Switching it up doesn’t hurt and brings different takes on characters. People complain about alloy and she isn’t even ugly. She comes off way more attractive then I’d believe a women would look in in that type of setting.

There’s also times where it’s cool to have a pretty bad ass chick too. Some over the top action games like bayonetta fits perfect or other good examples. I remember making my girl character in sunset overdrive ugly as shit and I loved that character. We’re not hurting for good looking women in games. They’re still the majority.

People make ugly characters all the time when there’s create a character. It’s cool if devs want to sometimes too.

Trevors a good example in GTA. They could’ve made him more fat and it would’ve been cooler. He’s the ugly one and everyone seemed to like him the most.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
People in the middle ages didn't look like goblins, poor hygiene or not. You posted a picture with fairly normal looking people.

That chick in the trailer is aggressively ugly and they went the extra mile to make her look facially unpleasant to look at.
Have you seen how normal women look?
I am not talking about the ones that put in heavy make up, but regular women?

I worked with some and they dont look like this fairy in games. If those women were to feature in those games, people will blast them on the internet.

Trilobit

I've never played a Fable game, but I like the ambitions Molineuoux has had with his games and I look forward to see what this one brings to the table!

Edit: spelled his name wrong.

Last edited:

Falc67

It Looks very Good for Sure but I Cant see anything what looks better than Horizon.

Imo its on par
Disagree. That whole thing was better than horizon, and I’ll be honest, i don’t think it will look like that on release. But if so. Then that will be the first actual game to “wow” me with graphics. Won’t be able to play it though, as I don’t even have an Xbox.

If this really is what our protagonist looks like, I'm getting this on gamepass and will just repeatedly throw her off of a cliff.

wkh86o1.jpg
If she is actual protagonist then i will not play the game.

How can they make character this ugly? Character i made in Oblivion looks better than this abomination

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Ingame cinematic using actual game engine.

Its using Forza Tech will also photogrammetry method also which was used in Horizon 5. So idk why you guys think its not real time?lol.

PGs are tech wizard at Xbox
I need gameplay, not an ingame cinematic.
I cant make a judgement from that trailer. The only snips of gameplay we got was a 2 sec gameplay.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don’t post here for your personal benefit. Maybe you should try resetera for those deep and meaningful discussions.

It appears you don't post here for anyone's benefit other than your own, just for clarity.

feynoob

Banned
No, I live in the real world but apparently you live in a place with some of the ugliest women because this is normal to you and not just straight-up ugly.
My friend, I am from normal world. Not that expensive world. And the place where I live is diverse and has all kind of background people.
You will be suprised with how people look here.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Actually it’s more of my ego isn’t so big that I think anything I post here will in any way matter. I post my opinion. That’s it.

So your opinion is that a character in a demo for a game that you typically create your own character for is ugly. Got it. Again, thanks for posting.

Corndog

Banned
So your opinion is that a character in a demo for a game that you typically create your own character for is ugly. Got it. Again, thanks for posting.
Why did we need this back and forth to establish that? It was clear from the beginning that was my opinion.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Just having something different is more exciting. An ugly sword swinging drunk chick kinda suits fable and could add to the humour. Some of my favourite female characters or actors aren’t the best looking either.

And fables not even a realistic game so it doesn’t really matter. It’s more funny when people complain about ugly chicks in more realistic games and still ask for realism. TBH there’s not many hot chicks that would swing swords, gunfight, hunt etc. Sure there are some but it doesn’t really come off as believable. Abbys a good example. It’s like people wanted Samus Aran type character in a post apocalyptic world.

I was just saying to my son the other day that it would be cool to have a bad ass fat character in a game for once. Every character just comes off like brad Pitt in every AAA game. Switching it up doesn’t hurt and brings different takes on characters. People complain about alloy and she isn’t even ugly. She comes off way more attractive then I’d believe a women would look in in that type of setting.

There’s also times where it’s cool to have a pretty bad ass chick too. Some over the top action games like bayonetta fits perfect or other good examples. I remember making my girl character in sunset overdrive ugly as shit and I loved that character. We’re not hurting for good looking women in games. They’re still the majority.

People make ugly characters all the time when there’s create a character. It’s cool if devs want to sometimes too.

Trevors a good example in GTA. They could’ve made him more fat and it would’ve been cooler. He’s the ugly one and everyone seemed to like him the most.
Fair take and much better than how you first described your viewpoint.

I think for me it’s mostly about liking nice looking things, it’s certainly not a teenage fantasy thing I’m nearly 50 happily married and a bunch of kids. I really just enjoy eye candy.

I don’t have a problem with quirky side characters, that’s usually cool, but since I might look at the main character for 100+ hours there has to be something that appeal to me. If it’s not a pretty face then it can be a crazy good looking body or cool long hair or cape or badass armour or weapons or tattoos etc.

In this Fable character I saw nothing that stood out. It’s just a bland looking character really. They could’ve made a character swap with the black giant and it would’ve instantly been more interesting, I bet it would’ve made the PR more interesting too. They should hire me as a consultant for the next trailer.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Fair take and much better than how you first described your viewpoint.

I think for me it’s mostly about liking nice looking things, it’s certainly not a teenage fantasy thing I’m nearly 50 happily married and a bunch of kids. I really just enjoy eye candy.

I don’t have a problem with quirky side characters, that’s usually cool, but since I might look at the main character for 100+ hours there has to be something that appeal to me. If it’s not a pretty face then it can be a crazy good looking body or cool long hair or cape or badass armour or weapons or tattoos etc.

In this Fable character I saw nothing that stood out. It’s just a bland looking character really. They could’ve made a character swap with the black giant and it would’ve instantly been more interesting, I bet it would’ve made the PR more interesting too. They should hire me as a consultant for the next trailer.
Fair. I do think they’ll make her looks part of the character though. Maybe this ugly chick might be better than the 90% of the other female characters out there. Most of them are good looking. If a game were to have an ugly character, I’d say fable would be the one where it would fit, considering it’s potty humour.

Or maybe/probably el create our own anyways.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Fair. I do think they’ll make her looks part of the character though. Maybe this ugly chick might be better than the 90% of the other female characters out there. Most of them are good looking. If a game were to have an ugly character, I’d say fable would be the one where it would fit, considering it’s potty humour.

Or maybe/probably el create our own anyways.
90% of the characters in the west aren’t going for prettiness today. Which characters would that be?
Japan on the other hand, everybody is pretty there, even bosses in some cases, and the guy in Lies of P is pushing more for prettiness than most ladies. Slightly strange perhaps but I still like that more than whatever the west are doing.

And come on a super pretty character with potty humour would be hilarious, another great idea for another trailer! 😁

TLZ

Banned
But you see, there's this, who didn't choose what she looks like, and there's that thing in Fable, who was made that way on purpose. Let's not act naive and justify the unjustifiable.

Edit: hold on a second.. are you trolling? I googled this person and got this:
"Semenya is an intersex woman, with 5α-Reductase 2 deficiency, assigned female at birth, with XY chromosomes and natural heterogametic testosterone level."

The person is biologically male, but identified as female at birth. That's the reason why "she looks like a man". This again only proves my point.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
90% of the characters in the west aren’t going for prettiness today. Which characters would that be?
Japan on the other hand, everybody is pretty there, even bosses in some cases, and the guy in Lies of P is pushing more for prettiness than most ladies. Slightly strange perhaps but I still like that more than whatever the west are doing.

And come on a super pretty character with potty humour would be hilarious, another great idea for another trailer! 😁
Japan doesn’t tend to go for realism as much as the west does.

Varteras

Gold Member
I couldn't care less about the technical visuals and I honestly feel like too much noise is being made about this. They look good on a technical level. Personally, what bothers me is that doesn't look like Fable. When I think Fable, I think Jack of Blades. Obvious caricatures. A rather exaggerated and colorful aesthetic. Bordering on just visually goofy yet whimsical. But hey. At least the ugly bitch kicked a chicken. So that throwback is still there.

Stuart360

People keep going on about how the woman looks, the main character (rightly so), but can you not make your own character in Fable?. I have never been a fan of the games but i just figured you could make your own character like in most rpg's.

And does that also mean yet another game with a female lead, were there any games shown at these conferences with male leads?, lol.

Last edited:
Fable is running on the new Forzatech 2.0 engine which has been built from the ground up to take advantage of the XSX and DX12U extensions.
That means mesh shaders, Sampler Feedback Streaming and XVA.

The fact that so many people are crying "CGI", even after it was confirmed to be in game on a XSX, tells you just how stunning it looks.

It also tells you just how many times gamers have been burned in the past. Can you really blame anyone for being super skeptical these days?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The irony is astounding.

You're one of the biggest trolls in any MS thread.

KpnGGoY.gif

You should check my opinion on the sony gaas extravaganza showcase and why I wanted MS to knock out of the park with their SP lineup ... sorry if I want to hold your precious MS to higher standard ... and 30 fps "creative visions" pr bullshit in 2023 dont convince me so easy as your lot

60 fps should be the standard in this generation as MS PR said in the beginning of the generation and I agree with them, so I want fable to be as good as possible and that begins with good modern framerate. All the rest is icing on the cake

Last edited:
They're very careful not to say the words "real-time" or "gameplay". Using words like "Captured on XXX" is a PR term that can mean 3 PS3 farm to render the cutscenes in TLOU. Or that infamous Horizon FW trailer where Aloy was swimming in the most believable water visuals I've seen.

DaGwaphics

People keep going on about how the woman looks, the main character (rightly so), but can you not make your own character in Fable?. I have never been a fan of the games but i just figured you could make your own character like in most rpg's.

And does that also mean yet another game with a female lead, were there any games shown at these conferences with male leads?, lol.

You didn't create your own character previously, you just chose the gender. They very well could be adding a character creator to the new one. I don't think they've said anything about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom