• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Impressive First In-Game Trailer Was Captured on Xbox Series X

Cashon

Banned
Am I the only one who, while watching the showcase, thought that the main character intentionally looks like that, as a joke? The Fable series was known for its sense of humor (watch the fairy reveal trailer), so I assumed it was making light of how hero characters traditionally are very good looking.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Am I the only one who, while watching the showcase, thought that the main character intentionally looks like that, as a joke? The Fable series was known for its sense of humor (watch the fairy reveal trailer), so I assumed it was making light of how hero characters traditionally are very good looking.
Playground Cancelled in 3... 2... 1...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Stop it....let the joke continue to fly over everyone's head.

The whole game is satire and is poking the finger at itself.....How she walked passed the crowd and someone shouted out "Wanker"

I wouldn't expect a large number of people to get British humour though.

Last edited:

Killer8

It's likely intentional, and there will be a character creator so it doesn't matter, but it does look like the character was a self insert by the dev team:

0jZyjHU.jpg

So why even have a face? Maybe they can just use Steve. And I have played all 3 main fable games.
A character without a face? In Fable you spend most of the time seeing the characters back and at a guess, I would imagine in the new Fable you'll be able to select a she/her or he/him in the game
The game looks splendid, I really couldn't carry what one of the characters looks like

Fbh

I still don't get why people think this is so unrealistic.

Character models looks good but not beyond what we have seen in other games.
And the environments looks great but Playgrounds has a long history of making amazing look environments. Forza Horizon 5 is a cross gen 60fps game and already has some of the best looking environments in gaming, this is a current gen only (and maybe 30fps only) title so it makes sense they'd take it a step further.

Don't worry. Regular GAFers know more about how Fable will look then actual dev that is working on the game.

I know right?
When I was playing Cyberpunk on Ps4 I was seeing 20fps, horribly blurry visuals and tons of bugs.
But I know it must have been something wrong with my specific console as the CEO of CDPR said the game runs "surprisingly well on Ps4", and surely the CEO of the company would know better than my ignorant self.

Corndog

Banned
A character without a face? In Fable you spend most of the time seeing the characters back and at a guess, I would imagine in the new Fable you'll be able to select a she/her or he/him in the game
The game looks splendid, I really couldn't carry what one of the characters looks like
You already said all that. But as you can see from the trailer you can see the characters face at times. And it’s hideous. Also what’s the difference between she and her?

mrcroket

It's likely intentional, and there will be a character creator so it doesn't matter, but it does look like the character was a self insert by the dev team:

0jZyjHU.jpg
Serious doubt, how can you be non-binary and trans woman at the same time? Isn't it contradictory?

Ontopic: I hope that this time they have added a character creator, it's something I always missed in the previous games of the saga.

You already said all that. But as you can see from the trailer you can see the characters face at times. And it’s hideous. Also what’s the difference between she and her?
I find the character art is Horizon Zero Dawn not to my taste, but you spend most of the game looking at her ass, so it's not a big deal. Its the same with Fable unless the team are looking to totally change how the new Fable plays

This Playground game so one needs to use she/her or he/him

mrqs

Just a taste of what next-gen games actually look like. We should have had this moment years ago. It took a while, but next-gen is finally starting!

Can't imagine how good the next NaughtyDog game will look like.

Batiman

Banned
I felt like the only one that got it

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That conversation about main character (I am expecting, that you will be able to create your own, since RPG, hopefully), but I think they nailed it, the poor pleb villager in middle ages aesthetic. But could be just me.

Granted I don't think she look good, but...

No, I was thinking the same thing, only because before they even show her face the narrator is describing what a hero looks like and at the end of the description she turns around to reveal a face only a mother could love.

Godot25

Banned
I know right?
When I was playing Cyberpunk on Ps4 I was seeing 20fps, horribly blurry visuals and tons of bugs.
But I know it must have been something wrong with my specific console as the CEO of CDPR said the game runs "surprisingly well on Ps4", and surely the CEO of the company would know better than my ignorant self.
Ehh. But CDPR never showed game on PlayStation 4.
This is in-game trailer captured on Series X.
Kinda difference, don't you think?

Especially when we saw what Playground Games is capable of in terms of visuals. Is it reaaaly so unthinkable for Fable to look like that when Forza Horizon 5 looked how it looked as a cross-gen game?
Please...

SABRE220

Yeah as I said in the other thread if this is ingame then this is the most impressive next-gen game shown so far, certain areas were very impressive. Its good to see microsoft delivering the showcases instead of the other way around now.

Ozriel

M$FT
I know right?

Significant difference between a CEO telling investors stuff that could have a major impact on their share price vs a technical artist who’s working on the game telling you that’s how the final game will look.

kuncol02

Banned
I did not expected it to run at all on PS4/XOne, so it even running at all count as "surprisingly well" in my opinion. They really should ditch that version of Cyberpunk before release.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I still don't get why people think this is so unrealistic.

Me neither. The stuff that looked player controlled was mostly aided by great depth of field, the running away part looked less impressive because of the lack of depth of field. It looks great though.

The cutscene moments didn’t look cgi either I mean, the model of the actor didn’t look any better than Joel in TlOu 2 during real time cutscenes. Which I would consider to be the peak real time cutscene benchmark from last gen.

The main character model doesn’t look good but I think that’s just an aesthetic problem.

Hot5pur

I think the game will have a character creator so a lot of these points are moot. However, as a guy I do prefer attractive woman characters. This aesthetic had its own charm, like something out of Shrek.

On the topic of beauty in general and why some devs have started toning down women in games, ie. Perfect faces, perfect slim bodies with D cups, etc. Is I think the way we condition genders in our society.

You ever go to Macy's at NYC and look at the departments - how many floors are dedicated to women? Makeup, skincare, clothing...

Do you people talk to women? I haven't met too many that weren't obsessed with their weight, their age, skin quality, leg firmness, chest size (push up bras), hair going gray, wrinkles, cellulite, the list is endless. There are products to address all of these.

You ever hear about a guy freaking out about gray hair? Or wrinkles? We pride ourselves on our dad bods, you ever see someone praising mom bods? You ever hear a guy being like "I want to look like a supermodel"?

Women see other pretty women and many times it makes them feel like they are not enough. They spend hundreds if not thousands on beauty care products, starve themselves on small portions and salad, and sometimes live at the gym.

Not trying to be some white knight, this is more an observation of how messed up parts of our culture are that induce unnecessary suffering (which companies exploit constantly). Men have plenty of BS expected of them too (like suppressing emotions or "just get over it" attitudes which leads to mental illness). Personally I think there is room for average looking characters in games. Also don't forget we're much more critical of female beauty than male beauty, and there are plenty of video games with average looking dudes.

00_Zer0

Now I can't unsee it..thanks for that!
You can't unsee it, because the graphics are based off of a face scan of a stunning and brave they/them person that works for Playground Games.

Get used to it. They want you to notice. Pay attention! This is the message you need to hear!

This is the unfortunate reality we live in where every facet of mainstream media, all forms of entertainment, and soulless corporations band together to bombard us with an ideological message that must be forced upon the consumers they love to hate.

the_master

There were in game gameplay alongside the CGI.
I do not think anything in here is gameplay.
It is in engine cutscene. Even if it looks like there is action, that is cut-scene action.

If it was gameplay, they would shure be boasting about it very loudly and the trailer would have made it clear.

DaGwaphics

Stop it....let the joke continue to fly over everyone's head.

The whole game is satire and is poking the finger at itself.....How she walked passed the crowd and someone shouted out "Wanker"

I wouldn't expect a large number of people to get British humour though.

That's my opinion on it as well. It just seems like they are trying to have some fun with the traditional "hero" tropes.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Some of you guys are downright hilarious.

First it was "lol CGI CGI CGI show me gameplay" and now that it's been confirmed that it IS actually in game with gameplay, all of a sudden its "doesn't even look that impressive".

Never change 😂😂😂

If this is actual gameplay, as in this is how it will literally look when I play the game? They did an amazing job. However, I think everyone should take a grain of salt with any "in-game" reveal until the title is released. It can always end up looking far, far worse. This wouldn't be the first time a AAA publisher/dev did this. Sony, MS, Ubisoft, etc.

Healthy Skepticism is good for the industry. Always better to be pleasantly surprised than hype something to the point of it never living up to the hype.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If this is actual gameplay, as in this is how it will literally look when I play the game? They did an amazing job. However, I think everyone should take a grain of salt with any "in-game" reveal until the title is released. It can always end up looking far, far worse. This wouldn't be the first time a AAA publisher/dev did this. Sony, MS, Ubisoft, etc.

Healthy Skepticism is good for the industry. Always better to be pleasantly surprised than hype something to the point of it never living up to the hype.
I can understand you but at the same time.... it's playground games. This isn't any other Xbox dev this is their best studio graphically speaking. They get the same benefit of the doubt Naughty Dog does, until I see otherwise

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I can understand you but at the same time.... it's playground games. This isn't any other Xbox dev this is their best studio graphically speaking. They get the same benefit of the doubt Naughty Dog does, until I see otherwise

Naughty Dog is a studio proven to have downgraded graphics from initial presentation to release...

No studio deserves that free reign. Every studio should be held responsible.

GymWolf

Serious doubt, how can you be non-binary and trans woman at the same time? Isn't it contradictory?

Ontopic: I hope that this time they have added a character creator, it's something I always missed in the previous games of the saga.
Noob, you also have to consider the "secretely a deer" factor, it's right there in her bio.

This isn't Sony. While MS was showing off actual games and people were making fun of games like Full Auto at the time, this while everyone was trashing 360 for being 1/10th the power of PS3 and oogling over fake Killzone and MotorStorm. Goes to show you who has this reputation. But the biggest offender wasn't Killzone or Motorstorm... it was Gundam Crossfire, that was insane levels of deception!
No no, the biggest let down was White Knight Chronicle. What a fucking joke. That whole show was unbelievable, Sony had nothing for the PS3 because it came out an entire year after the 360.

The die hard Sony boys ate all that shit up on a silver platter. But god damn I wanted WKC to be exactly what was shown.

Top Bottom