• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer.de: Assassin's Creed Valhalla will also be in 4K60FPS on PS5

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
According to a current report from Ubisoft, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, release on November 10, 2020, will not only run in 4K on the PS5, but also with 60 frames. And full 4K resolution, as you emphasize, which you can expect. The days of checkerboard 4K should be over for now. Although, there is always a balance between resolution, frames, how nice the game is and how stupid - or not even stupid - the AI. Based on what has been played, the AI seems to be on the usual level and even if Valhalla is optically a small jump to the predecessor Origins in places, there should still be enough of the new console power left to be able to present everything here in 4K60. Meanwhile, every TV buyer in recent years has a 4K TV.
Assassin's Creed is said to draw further advantages on the PS5 from the fast SSD technology to shorten loading times and the Tempest Engine for better sound. So no big surprises, it would be bad if not.

https://www.eurogamer.de/amp/assassins-creed-valhalla-wird-auf-der-ps5-in-4k60-laufen

Last edited:

Garjon

This was obvious, the game is CPU bound. If it runs at 4k60 on XSX it will do so on PS5 too.

What sacrifices they will have made to get to that point (on both consoles), that is what will be interesting

Moses85

giphy.gif

ofc that would run at 4k/60...gee have you looked at it?
That`s still nearly identical to Odyssey`s-tech.......

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

This was obvious, the game is CPU bound. If it runs at 4k60 on XSX it will do so on PS5 too.

What sacrifices they will have made to get to that point (on both consoles), that is what will be interesting

It will still be CPU bound, Ubisoft's graphics engines in these AC games are an appaling throwback to a 2/4 core era, with just a lick of paint covering the creaking seams.

Even on PC's, a 9900K at 5GHZ is being choked in these games.

Codes 208

So 4k with 60 fps, with faster loading, better immersive sound and a better controller. Humm

Which experience would you choose?
Questionable. Xbox controllers have been consistent and I have no reason to doubt the new ones will be as good as XBO whereas the ps5 is a totally different design from 4’s so it could either be worse or better

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Questionable. Xbox controllers have been consistent and I have no reason to doubt the new ones will be as good as XBO whereas the ps5 is a totally different design from 4’s so it could either be worse or better

I don't think its questionable at all, one has more advanced features, its kinda a no brainer, the only thing is the feel and perhaps the weight of the device that people might take issue at. One is the same the other is innovation.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Good joke that the AI in an AC game would be held back by HW.

Also, I couldn't make the Cole Phelps gif big enough to fully express my level of doubt that an AC game will run at a locked 60fps on a console (either console), so I've forgoed it entirely. Not because the console HW is at fault, because Ubisoft have never targetted 60fps for any AC game and I don't see why their CPU optimisation will suddently become 10x better just for this game.

The "solution" they've found to that problem is probably just trashing the IQ/gameplay experience by cutting back heavily on effects/NPC counts/loads of things. I can get 4K@60 on my 2016 PC by turning everything down to low but I wouldn't do that.

Increasing the IQ and motion quality/responsiveness but making all the content look worse is like shooting a film at 4K instead of 2K, but you have remove a bunch of stuff from the scene and the makeup isn't as good now. Congrats you can more clearly see how shite it looks!

I know my post sounds so angry but I'm genuinely not, just thinking critically. If its 4K + locked-60 AND looks better than Odyssey (However slight) in terms of what I mentioned above then I'll be pleasantly surprised, its just unlikely given their track record imo.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Good joke that the AI in an AC game would be held back by HW.

Also, I couldn't make the Cole Phelps gif big enough to fully express my level of doubt that an AC game will run at a locked 60fps on a console (either console), so I've forgoed it entirely. Not because the console HW is at fault, because Ubisoft have never targetted 60fps for any AC game and I don't see why their CPU optimisation will suddently become 10x better just for this game.

The "solution" they've found to that problem is probably just trashing the IQ/gameplay experience by cutting back heavily on effects/NPC counts/loads of things. I can get 4K@60 on my 2016 PC by turning everything down to low but I wouldn't do that.

Increasing the IQ and motion quality/responsiveness but making all the content look worse is like shooting a film at 4K instead of 2K, but you have remove a bunch of stuff from the scene and the makeup isn't as good now. Congrats you can more clearly see how shite it looks!

I know my post sounds so angry but I'm genuinely not, just thinking critically. If its 4K + locked-60 AND looks better than Odyssey (However slight) in terms of what I mentioned above then I'll be pleasantly surprised, its just unlikely given their track record imo.
You speak the truth, i played origins and odissey on pc and they were absolute trash at launch (and honestly even later).

Ubisoft and optimization are like reeee and white males.

anaphase

Yes, but how quiet is it?

Might have to keep this baby running in the fridge to hit 4k60. Surely they needed to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the PS5 to hit this res and FPS on a cross gen title.

Kuranghi

Check out this hilarity: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-review?page=5

You can see that on an RTX 3080 + i9 10900K @ 4K the mean average for AC:O is 66fps, hmmmm...

Either they are going to look like complete trash - as in, barely any ambient occlusion + no shadowing for foliage + no hair physics, and we've already seen quite a few of these cutbacks happening in the footage released so far - to get to 60 or its just complete bollocks and the game will still be optimised for 30fps but unlocked to 60hz and occasionally goes higher when no one is around or you stare at a wall (As GymWolf GymWolf points out above), at the expense of a horrible feeling experience with frametimes constantly changing and delaying your inputs.

Kenpachii

Check out this hilarity: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-review?page=5

You can see that on an RTX 3080 + i9 10900K @ 4K the mean average for AC:O is 66fps, hmmmm...

Either they are going to look like complete trash - as in, barely any ambient occlusion + no shadowing for foliage + no hair physics, and we've already seen quite a few of these cutbacks happening in the footage released so far - to get to 60 or its just complete bollocks and the game will still be optimised for 30fps but unlocked to 60hz and occasionally goes higher when no one is around or you stare at a wall (As GymWolf GymWolf points out above), at the expense of a horrible feeling experience with frametimes constantly changing and delaying your inputs.

Like i said it will be downgraded, there is no hardware in the PS5 to run this game at 4k 60 fps without steep downgrades.

Kuranghi

Like i said it will be downgraded, there is no hardware in the PS5 to run this game at 4k 60 fps without steep downgrades.

While I do agree that I don't think 4K60 will be that common on either next-gen consoles, I don't think the HW is the main problem here, its more Ubisoft not having considered 60fps seriously for 8+ years. I remember playing AC: Blac Flag on my brand new GPU and the performance was ass at 1080p, massive variance in the GPU usage (I don't think CPU was not often a problem in that particular AC because it was on the open sea with no NPCs/towns around you) caused it to be too unstable to play with regular v-sync at 60hz.

Top Bottom