• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC Valhalla PS5 version runs at upscaled 4K

PaintTinJr

You just shit on all other developers except Sony and wonder why I get triggered.
Did you notice, back in the day when being the market leader meant publishers rewarded you - with their games developed first for your system, which then meant they complimented your hardware perfectly - 3rd party software was held in higher regard and released in a much better state, and gamers were more enthused - even by the uniqueness of the ported versions - no?

And I'm not talking about times of the C64, Spectrum 48K, Amstrad, Acorn/BBC Micro, Dragon, etc, etc...but only as far back as the PS2.

The ability for "parity or better" contract clauses being bought - without buying full exclusiveness - by those that didn't win has lead to the last two generations of poor quality control by 3rd party publishers(IMHO), with poor innovation in gameplay, and poor hardware experimentation, with Ubi and games like AC being one of, if not the worst big boy culprits.

You might think your rhetoric is anti-fanboy, but if this was the state of a PlayStation exclusive game for a gameplay title designed around 30fps, PlayStation fans would either demand better or wouldn't buy.

Quality multi-plats on the market leader hardware drives quality up for all gamers including on PC - and forces all platforms to believe in generations and be competitive to be the leader by selling units with quality 1st party offerings, all pushing to keep gamers enthused, which makes publishers more money for longer- so defending Ubi with this scatter shot of low quality is anti-gamer IMHO and bad for the industry in the long-term to maintain or grow this part of the market.

You have issues with PlayStation, but consumers speak through their wallets, consumers have chosen PlayStation repeatedly, and publishers should be expecting this kind of backlash after a lack of quality control for two generations.

assurdum

Banned
Because Sony has the smart guys and every other developer (ID, R*, CDPR, Square, etc..) are dummies right?
Ubisoft never used async function on PS4 because the nature of their engine I guess, it's not matter of talent, I wouldn't be surprise if they will ignore geometry engine but I hope to be wrong
If I have to sit 3 inches from my TV or rely on Digital Foundry to point out the differences, why should I care about resolution? Framerate is king; I’ll notice that isn’t stable.
I already said to not believe to Ubisoft when talks of full 4k. Dynamic 4k is still full 4k. But no, it couldn't be, 52 CUs, 12 TF....

Last edited:
36 compute units vs. 52 compute units. Xbox Series S has the raw power and full hardware features of rdna 2 that the ps5 lacks.
tenor.gif

That usually only happens because the PS4 Pro versions are running at lower resolutions. One X is being pushed (relatively) harder at native 4K than the PS4 Pro is being pushed at 1440p,1800p or 4K chequerboard.

So yes, you can say some games run better on the pro, but there is a reason for that.
In the case of Watchdogs none of the versions run native, both are upscaled and use a dynamic res so there shouldn't be drops on XBX. The problems is elsewhere. It's more of a software problem with the dynamic res engine specifically on all Xbox consoles (the latest Assassin's creed has the same problem).

Last edited:
Ubisoft never used async function on PS4 because the nature of their engine I guess, it's not matter of talent, I wouldn't be surprise if they will ignore geometry engine but I hope to be wrong

I already said to not believe to Ubisoft when talks of full 4k. Dynamic 4k is still full 4k. But no, it couldn't be, 52 CUs, 12 TF....
It depends of the team. I know they used FP16 RPM only on Pro version of Far Cry 5.

thelastword

Banned
Xbox Fanboys will just say they'll use their 5000€ 4K TV that supports VRR no worries 😂

Edit : right in the €

The big problem with DF saying that, is any game with awful performance and tearing will be run with VRR and they will try to diminish such awful performance even against better performing versions of the game without VRR.

If you checked DF's last video Richard has already set up his defense, he said VRR is a must and a game changer..... And it being only on Xbox for now. I knew some titles were coming in hot with performance and tearing issues.

If you check the last few days. VRR, 1440P and cold storage are high talking points for DF and others, these features are even more important than next gen games at launch....

yurinka

Isnt it strange the PS5 version has a later embargo that the XB versions? That's usually not a good sign.
It's because this game has the marketing deal with Microsoft. Unlike Sony, MS doesn't have exclusive games for the launch window, so had to give priority to 3rd party multiplatform games.

Sony gave priority to Astro and Spider-Man as early pre-launch PS5 reviews. MS gave priority to AC Valhalla and Dirt 5 early pre-launch Series X reviews blocking the PS5 ones. I assume we won't see PS5 versions of Valhalla and Dirt 5 until PS5 is released.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

I bet most people who will complain about the game not running native 4K are the same complaining that games are 150 GB + .

Take a basic texture with an alpha channel :

TGA : 24/bit pixel : 4096*4096 : 48 Mb
TGA: 24/bit pixel : 1024*1024 : 3 Mb

There is all you need to know about 4K.
4K is the ultimate ressource Hog, and for what ?

So people with 4K TV can sit a foot away from it...

Gimme the FPS and the HDR, not this stupid waste of ressource.

Top Bottom