• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Mirage is five times shorter than Valhalla

Spyxos

Gold Member
Good. I played through Valhalla, but after 30-40 hours I was already more than done with the game, but the game went on for another 30 hours.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
short-girl-short-hair.gif

I'm just over the whole series at this point. Classic or modern AC, makes no difference to me. They ruined the Desmond arc from the classic games, that was a huge let down for me because I was invested in that story and it was getting really interesting until they fucked it all up with AC3.

As far as the modern ones go, I only liked Origins. Bayek and his story were much better. I would rather they continued with that timeline for at least another game, similar to what they did with Ezio.

I have no faith that this new game will be enough to get me back in. I wasn't completely against the open world/rpg approach but they just went way too far with the last 2 games. Whatever, this is Ubisofts cash cow but I don't think they are even confident in their own direction.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to AC games, I platinumed both Origins and Odyssey, but the games are becoming just too long. I finished Origins including all the DLC, I quit Odyssey after finishing the main game plus one DLC and I stopped playing Valhalla after completing 80% of the main quest and that had already taken as long as the time it took to finish the two previous AC games. These games are simply getting too bloated.

artworks-000059806208-5pe8wn-t500x500.jpg

Reactions: Isa

Fredrik

20-23 is perfect length. Valhalla main campaign was really really really long.

C’mon now. A more focused experience is actually worth more as it doesn’t waste your time.
Valhalla was bleh. But I really enjoyed my time in Odyssey, felt like being on a vacation to traverse that sunny lush world with amazing clear water full of life, must’ve played it for 150 hours, cutting that down to 20 hours would’ve been terrible.

Reactions: Isa

Lupin25

Tapped out of Valhalla after 16 hrs.

Dropping those huge sprawling games on people every 2 years was bound to get repetitive for Ubi.

Mirage sounds like a nice, semi-open linear experience which is more convenient. I wouldn’t even try to find the time to play a game as big as Valhalla, between Spider-Man, Alan Wake, Super Mario, Lords of the Fallen & so forth.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I'm just over the whole series at this point. Classic or modern AC, makes no difference to me. They ruined the Desmond arc from the classic games, that was a huge let down for me because I was invested in that story and it was getting really interesting until they fucked it all up with AC3.

As far as the modern ones go, I only liked Origins. Bayek and his story were much better. I would rather they continued with that timeline for at least another game, similar to what they did with Ezio.

I have no faith that this new game will be enough to get me back in. I wasn't completely against the open world/rpg approach but they just went way too far with the last 2 games. Whatever, this is Ubisofts cash cow but I don't think they are even confident in their own direction.
I'm about 35 hours into Origins and it's becoming difficult. AC still has clunky controls, gameplay and lackluster music / story.

Mercador

I prefer good content than bloatware. But even with 20 hours, I wonder how much staff they had this time for the game. And it's totally possible to create another "Ubisoft" bloated title with 20 hours of playtime. My favorite were with Enzo, they never beat that in my opinion.

I'm about 35 hours into Origins and it's becoming difficult. AC still has clunky controls, gameplay and lackluster music / story.
Sure I guess it depends on what your threshold is. I used to play Monster Hunter on PSP so I have a pretty high tolerance for "clunky" controls.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ve played every title but only never completed Valhalla . Truly too much.

The problem with mirage for me is that it seems in the gameplay department at least it isn’t bringing anything new to the formula , and almost seems like a $40 budget AC title.

I do like the rpg elements and combat in Valhalla and odyssey, but just want a more focused world, narrative, and quality over quantity approach to side content.

Mirage looks visually impressive but that’s about it. The gameplay is just so been there done that…

20cent

Banned
Oh joy, I can't wait to roam around the map to find "collectibles!" I'm so excited.

No offense to anyone who enjoys these games, but Assassins's creed has never been good. It's always been an awesome concept with unrealized potential. The old games were just as bad as the new ones.
Yeah they suck, just like BOTW, TOTK, GoT, Horizon, Spiderman.... ? Or we only bash games that defined the concept of most other biggest games of the decades that are not platform exclusives?

Last edited:

violence

I’m interested in seeing what they do with the more handcrafted short campaign. I guess they got the message with the bloat complaints.

Last edited:

GutsOfThor

That's good to hear. I never finished Odyssey and skipped Valhalla completely because of how bloated I heard it was.

Edellus

Although I very much liked Odissey and Valhalla (enough to platinum Odissey + DLC and planning to do the same with Valhalla), I welcome a shorter and more focused experience.

If Mirage turns out to be good, I think it would be worth exploring further alternating ACs between focused and inmersive/massive worlds. It might help keeping things fresh and maybe even give more time to each dev team to polish their game.

ahtlas7

Ubi bloat removal or content removal?
I’m all for a tighter experience as long as they cut the correct content. I don’t need to spend 50 hours riding through the desert on a camel looking for an Oasis.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My spouse was playing Valhalla and I remember watching her do the final quest. It wasn’t one of those times where you felt like it was the end. I Googled the final quest, told her this was considered the “final quest”, and then saying something like “you finished the game?”. It was weird. I think she got so tired of the game that all the side stuff from the season pass wasn’t interesting. Sad day when the game you love the most burns you from playing the additional content down the road. Time heals all bloatware, so she’s excited for this new Mirage entry.

I don’t buy AC for myself. I had enough when I bought Unity. I played their campaigns for years. It stopped being interesting.

Top Bottom