• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4ch: MS is going to announce $50 price reduction on both XSX/XSS tomorrow

Mmnow

Your comparison only makes sense if their would be a "PS 5 Digital Version" with 50 % less power than Xbox Series X and PS 5..

The downgraded Xbox Series S doesnt feel like a true nextgen console.
Factoring in that they're targeting different resolutions, what makes the PS5 or the Series X next-gen, but the Series S not next-gen?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Your comparison only makes sense if their would be a "PS 5 Digital Version" with 50 % less power than Xbox Series X and PS 5..

and your comparison would make sense if it were the same CPU and Gpu also same memory and hard drive type

levyjl1988

Banned
Remember when there were rumors that Xbox Live Gold will be dropped and online will be free and that never happened.
I doubt Microsoft wants to lose any more money especially after buying Bethesda...

Montauk

The Xbox division can't just burn money. MS won't want to lose a substantial amount on each console sold.

I highly highly doubt this will happen.

soulbait

How do you know what it feels like, you have not even touched it yet?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Honestly I can see Series S being $249. Series X tho? Nah, I still think that'll be at $499.

If I'm wrong, I'll punch myself in the face and like it. Goodness knows this week's started off with a nuclear bomb as-is.

How much money is MS will to lose in order to compete with Nintendo and Sony though?

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned
So, around 2 hours till preorders go live in Australia. It already would be announced during the day, not few hours before preorders goes live. So, no price cut. You can't have a price cut if you spend 7.5 billion $. /s

martino

UnhappyNiftyAmericanwigeon-size_restricted.gif

LordOfChaos

That's a good question. They're probably losing at least $50 - $75 on Series S at the current price, probably a bit less on Series X though.

Honestly I don't think the prices will be dropped because All-Access already exists.

They're eating another 60 dollars of conversion to countries like Canada on the Series X on top of that US baseline too. PS3 is still supreme at losing money but that's a lot for a mass consumer product like this.

Factoring in that they're targeting different resolutions, what makes the PS5 or the Series X next-gen, but the Series S not next-gen?

S is between gens.

Gpu + ram is current gen, rest is next gen.

It cant run same games that X/5 could run at 1080p.

Real next gen can choose between 1080p - 4k and S cant do that

Last edited:
Looks like the 4Chan leaker got his numbers mixed up.

It wasn't a $50 drop. It was spending $7.5 billion on Zenimax.

Close.
It's like a 200+ price drop.

If you get it with a subscription with all those games it's like they're giving the console away for free.

And the crazy part is my post looks like a random ad, but it's actually true.

Mmnow

S is between gens.

So next gen is a hypothetical game that is so awesome in scope that it has to run at 1080p?

That's ridiculous. Nobody with a 4k TV wants that.

GeorgPrime

Banned
S is between gens.

Every gen has a huge technology step that makes it different from the last gen and warrants a new console gen.

When you just get an Series S that looks like Xbox One Pro, then you get the same feeling like PS 4 got a PS 4 Pro ;)

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
13 pages? Really guys?

Mmnow

Every gen has a huge technology step that makes it different from the last gen and warrants a new console gen.

When you just get an Series S that looks like Xbox One Pro, then you get the same feeling like PS 4 got a PS 4 Pro ;)
But that's not true either. Knack didn't look better than The Last of Us. One of the defining complaints of next gen so far is that the leap isnt big enough.

Next gen features like the SSD and improved CPU will be on the Series S in spades. The ram and GPU will be capable of amazing things at 1080p. The tech step is there.

So what exactly is this next gen thing that the Series S doesnt have?

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

Microsoft needs to do something today, although I don't know this is it.

It'd be really weak to have an exciting list of announcements, then two weeks later say "preorders now". That's without PlayStation dominating last week with their own news and preorders.

If they're are any megatons left, now it's the time to drop them. Gold going free as a random example isn't going to do anybody any good if it's announced in a fortnight.

Microsoft has the stage today. They have to use it, even if it's just to show games.
Wow you where right!!

TimFL

Dropping $50 would do more harm than good in terms of PR. One could spin it that they still had leeway when pricing the consoles and they went for the more expensive price tags which is anti-consumer and only drop it now to checkmate Sony pricing.

Biggest cuck move in the history of gaming, no confidence in your own product.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Microsoft needs to do something today, although I don't know this is it.

It'd be really weak to have an exciting list of announcements, then two weeks later say "preorders now". That's without PlayStation dominating last week with their own news and preorders.

If they're are any megatons left, now it's the time to drop them. Gold going free as a random example isn't going to do anybody any good if it's announced in a fortnight.

Microsoft has the stage today. They have to use it, even if it's just to show games.
Spot on.

This guy knows marketing.

BlackM1st

Banned
I doubt sony had 1 million pre orders. Based on the fact stores had so few units and then told people they would have even less (like amazon)
iirc Sony sold 1 million PS4 consoles initially.

Can't say that it was all through preorders of course, but looks like PS5 is in the even bigger demand after self isolation and all that Coronavirus stuff.

My point is that MS should have been price cutting xbox BEFORE Ps5 preorders started.

hemo memo

Gold Member
They actually dropped the price of Xbox Series X by 50AED ($13) to match PS5 price in the region so maybe this is where this rumor started. So no. I don’t expect a $50 drop

jimbojim

Banned
They actually dropped the price of Xbox Series X by 50AED ($13) to match PS5 price in the region so maybe this is where this rumor started. So no. I don’t expect a $50 drop

I presume you meant in UAE. Yeah, for some reason XSX was more expensive = 13$. They've dropped the price just to be in same price range like PS5. That happened 1 day ago.

They're eating another 60 dollars of conversion to countries like Canada on the Series X on top of that US baseline too. PS3 is still supreme at losing money but that's a lot for a mass consumer product like this.

Yes and then there's also the fact that BOM doesn't cover advertising budget per system, assembly costs, packaging costs, shipping & handling costs etc.

I'd venture MS are probably eating about $130 - $140 on each Series S (just quickly pulled out of my ass numbers), but probably "only" about $80 or so on each Series X because I think that system's MSRP is much closer to the actual BOM. Sony is probably losing between $30 - $50 on each PS5 physical (factoring in advert budgets, assembly costs etc.), but maybe as much as $130 - $150 for each PS5 DE...

...which might partially explain why ratio splits between the DE and physical are so lopsided in favor of the latter. I'm curioius what the ratio split for Series S/Series X is going to end up being at launch.

Vawn

Banned
Remember when there were rumors that Xbox Live Gold will be dropped and online will be free and that never happened.

That still HAS to happen. Otherwise, Microsoft doubled the price of Xbox Gold by removing the ability to purchase 12 months.

splattered

They probably had this backup plan waiting in the wings depending on how the world took their Zenimax purchase news... if it didn't raise much hype then they could drop prices. But the news blew up huge so maybe they felt confident enough not to lower prices. *shrug*

Kinda like the goal post moving when Sony went even harder into cross gen than MS lol...was quite the spectacle.

The console wars are the best....

They both should have kept quiet on that, Sony was doing a decent amount of 1st party cross-gen and other than Halo MS doesn't have any real AAA first party games even coming out until 2022 and most of those announced titles aren't cross-gen. Marketing is all bullshit, I wish they'd just show their games and say this is what we have buy it if you like it and shut up lol.

Woodchipper

Lol, a price drop BEFORE launch? That would be the most hilarious thing ever. Even Microsoft thinks that Sony already won, if true.

Top Bottom