• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4ch: MS is going to announce $50 price reduction on both XSX/XSS tomorrow

Raonak

Banned
I could see it happening, ps5 is completely running away with the hype train, MS needs to do something to build up hype again.

SamFo

They'd better hurry with the announcement then.
13.5 hrs until pre orders go live in Australia...

Last edited:

DarkBatman

Is there any possible way he could know anything like that?
Looks like he's traveling around right now - so it seems like he saw the 4chan "leak" or the NeoGaf thread, thus explaining the vagueness in his tweet.
Let's see, there's not much time for MS to react.

Quasicat

I’m thinking it could happen. I was planning to drop $250 on an N64 at launch when they dropped the price to $200. There were still signs at Toys R Us with the original $250 price tag. It may not have been the day before, but it was certainly not originally planned by Nintendo.

replicant-

I can't see MS dropping the price. I did see a rumour os MS releasing some videos today to hype up the pre-orders e.g. gameplay on bot X and S. This, in my mind, would be a good idea. I am gettin a XSX without a shadow of a doubt, but it would be nice to see some gamplay. e.g. Creed at 60fps.

Zathalus

I can believe MS pulling off a sneaky move like this. Not saying it will happen, but I can see them doing it. AMD pulled a similar stunt against Nvidia with the 5700 series.

Mmnow

Microsoft needs to do something today, although I don't know this is it.

It'd be really weak to have an exciting list of announcements, then two weeks later say "preorders now". That's without PlayStation dominating last week with their own news and preorders.

If they're are any megatons left, now it's the time to drop them. Gold going free as a random example isn't going to do anybody any good if it's announced in a fortnight.

Microsoft has the stage today. They have to use it, even if it's just to show games.

DarkBatman

I can believe MS pulling off a sneaky move like this. Not saying it will happen, but I can see them doing it. AMD pulled a similar stunt against Nvidia with the 5700 series.
Was thinking overnight - could they maybe market any price drop as a $50 discount for preordering?

Why would they though? They aren't in direct competition to Sony anymore, the first preorder wave for the PS5 is over.
And the first XSX and XSS batch will sell out FOR SURE - so why would they lower the price one day before?
Changing the price right after Sony's announcement would have been smart, now it would only hurt the overall financial figures, because they'll sell out for 499$ and 299$ easily atm.

HeresJohnny

There’s no way imo. You don’t announce a launch price and then do a drop before you even launch lol. They would look desperate and like followers instead of leaders. I really doubt this true.

turtlepowa

Banned
There’s no way imo. You don’t announce a launch price and then do a drop before you even launch lol. They would look desperate and like followers instead of leaders. I really doubt this true.
It's more clever marketing. Controlled leak to finally bait Sony and after their preorder started announce the real price.

On Demand

Banned
It's more clever marketing. Controlled leak to finally bait Sony and after their preorder started announce the real price.

Y’all watch too many spy and drama movies. You don’t think Sony and MS are aware of each others tactics? I’m sure Sony knows that leak from MS was planned and any other trick MS is doing. Including the ERP label. If this price drop is true I want to see how Sony will react. That’s why I want it to happen so bad.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Y’all watch too many spy and drama movies. You don’t think Sony and MS are aware of each others tactics? I’m sure Sony knows that leak from MS was planned and any other trick MS is doing. Including the ERP label. If this price drop is true I want to see how Sony will react. That’s why I want it to happen so bad.
Sony can't react in my opinion, millions of consoles are already ordered/paid. That would be very time consuming and the retailers would be pissed because of the extra work. Also PS5 is sold out anyways, there is no need for Sony to react immediately.

Danny 117

Surely you mean downgraded? Worse GPU, can't run One X enhancements!
Let's wait and see. I can guarantee you the Jaguar CPU will cripple Xbox One X in DF comparisons.

XSS at 1440p (target resolution) will outperform Xbox One X at 4K (target resolution).

Hell, I'd even bet XSS will slaughter Xbox One X when both running certain games at 1440p due to that potato CPU. It will have a more stable framerate.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
All of these posts saying it would be a sign of weakness lol

I don’t know about you but for anyone interested in buying a Xbox Series S or X, I’d be happy to save $50

But I am skeptical of the rumor but for other reasons.

Jokerevo

Banned
duh X is gonna sell well. The more Xss sells the weaker the XsX gets. No need to price cut. There will be plenty in stock.

On Demand

Banned
Sony can't react in my opinion, millions of consoles are already ordered/paid. That would be very time consuming and the retailers would be pissed because of the extra work. Also PS5 is sold out anyways, there is no need for Sony to react immediately.

True. Not immediately but eventually. Sony had to know MS would do this. If it’s true.

If us regular forum people can speculate on what these companies would do to outmaneuver each other, what do you think the discussions are like in the boardroom meetings? On top of knowing more than what your so called insider would know.

Last edited:
Why would they though? They aren't in direct competition to Sony anymore, the first preorder wave for the PS5 is over.
And the first XSX and XSS batch will sell out FOR SURE - so why would they lower the price one day before?
Changing the price right after Sony's announcement would have been smart, now it would only hurt the overall financial figures, because they'll sell out for 499$ and 299$ easily atm.
Because they may have planned for this scenario in advance. Who’s to say they didn’t overprice them to begin with to bait Sony out at their prices to then lower it it later when it’s too late for Sony to change theirs?

DarkBatman

Because they may have planned for this scenario in advance. Who’s to say they didn’t overprice them to begin with to bait Sony out at their prices to then lower it it later when it’s too late for Sony to change theirs?

I guess that could be true - but for a scenario where Sony decides to price the PS5 Disc Edition 449$ to undercut the XSX.
MS has nothing to win by lowering the prices TODAY. They'll sell out, several Xbox fans and gamers want to have one - and the PS5 already had a great pre order run, so there's no stopping them now.

I could see it happening, ps5 is completely running away with the hype train, MS needs to do something to build up hype again.

Imo MS need to make the console more desirable, not cheaper.

If they had the balls, they would drop the PC version of every Xbox game, made them real exclusives and start showing them on a more concrete stage rather than just CGI.

They have built a great box already for a great price.

MastaKiiLA

I guess that could be true - but for a scenario where Sony decides to price the PS5 Disc Edition 449$ to undercut the XSX.
MS has nothing to win by lowering the prices TODAY. They'll sell out, several Xbox fans and gamers want to have one - and the PS5 already had a great pre order run, so there's no stopping them now.
Dropping the price shortly after launch would be a big screwjob against early adopters, the very people you want to please. So they'd have to wait a sufficient amount of time, thus still potentially ceding a userbase advantage to Sony. If they want to drop the price, it's now or next Fall. I just think dropping it now brings more negative connotations than positive ones. I think we have the Sega track record to suggest that this wouldn't be a wise course of action. We'll know soon enough though, as it has to be before preorders come in, and retailers set expectations for their investors.

hyperbertha

Gotta be honest, i think i’d buy a XSS for 250

EePdjAb.png

Imo MS need to make the console more desirable, not cheaper.

If they had the balls, they would drop the PC version of every Xbox game, made them real exclusives and start showing them on a more concrete stage rather than just CGI.

They have built a great box already for a great price.
Microsoft already went all in on being cheaper over quality. That's what Gamepass is.

It is too late to pivot. Microsoft already threw their dice, you can't change your bet on the roulette wheel anymore. Now they could only see where the dice lands.

Being cheaper is easy, you just have to be willing to earn less money. But trying to raise quality is easier said than done. Both Sony and Microsoft have already made their decisions now, neither could change anything short of a catastrophe.

Self

That would look way to desperate and incompetent to the public eye.
It would be way smarter to offer something on top. I'm sure they will.

Last edited:

Kerotan

If MS can sell all launch stock at the current prices why would they lose even more money by reducing prices.

Hudo

4chans at least know they're full of shit and troll around, which makes them somewhat believable, whereas Twitters are just LARPing as "being in the know". I take 4chan crap over Twitter shit any day.

Top Bottom