• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somethings going on with XSX supplies.

We recently saw that the Xbox sakes went backwards by 13%, however it's pretty hard to find an XSX in stock.
Where I live shops are swimming in PS5s, to the point where they are pushing to try and sell them, while they are sold out of XSXs.
I spoke to the manager of a JB Hifi about it. He said that during the Xmas period JB HiFi had a constant stream of PS5s. They even had a pallet of them on the floor. The guy told me they never received a quarter of XSXs stock compared to the PS5.

My brother in law is a Harvey Norman Franchise owner and he has said the same thing. Sony are killing it with supply now.
The only issue he said with the PS5 was that they are all the GOW bundle at the moment.

Something is a miss with the supply of XSX.
My guess is maybe there was issues with the Rumoured 6nm revision and this has hurt their production.

Now, of course this might be an Australian thing. I accept that both Sony and MS prioritise different regions differently, and what has happened here might not be mirrored elsewhere.
I also accept that Sony is a major appliance manufacturer and Microsoft isn't. Sony obviously have more experience at mass market supply and demand. Maybe this is going against MS.

I would be interested in if this is the same situation in other regions.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

We recently saw that the Xbox sakes went backwards by 13%, however it's pretty hard to find an XSX in stock.
Where I live shops are swimming in PS5s, to the point where they are pushing to try and sell them, while they are sold out of XSXs.
I spoke to the manager of a JB Hifi about it. He said that during the Xmas period JB HiFi had a constant stream of PS5s. They even had a pallet of them on the floor. The guy told me they never received a quarter of XSXs stock compared to the PS5.

My brother in law is a Harvey Norman Franchise owner and he has said the same thing. Sony are killing it with supply now.
The only issue he said with the PS5 was that they are all the GOW bundle at the moment.

Something is a miss with the supply of XSX.
My guess is maybe there was issues with the Rumoured 6nm revision and this has hurt their production.

Now, of course this might be an Australian thing. I accept that both Sony and MS prioritise different regions differently, and what has happened here might not be mirrored elsewhere.
I also accept that Sony is a major appliance manufacturer and Microsoft isn't. Sony obviously have more experience at mass market supply and demand. Maybe this is going against MS.

I would be interested in if this is the same situation in other regions.
genius. dj khaled GIF by Genius

Fredrik

Huh, same thing in Sweden as of today, PS5 is everywhere though, weird.
Can still get Xbox Series S though but it’s been on shelves since launch.

Moses85

PlayStation 5 is easier to get now and people aren't buying XSX out of sheer desperation because they can't get PlayStation 5. That is a fact. In my circle of friends, 10 people bought an XSX because they couldn't buy a PlayStation 5 for months. Have already switched to the PlayStation 5 and sold their XSX.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Maybe it's just a manufacturing thing? We know there was a period that Microsoft had purchased a load of chips and Sony couldn't produce as many. Now maybe the tables have turned and sonys booked in a load of manufacturing and xbox can't secure slots? I'm sure it will level out as tsmc sort themselves out.

Last edited:

nush

booked in a load of manufacturing and xbox can't secure slots?

It doesn't work that way. They'll take over whole sections of a manufacturing plant and will keep them for the lifetime of the console. "Production slots" are for mass manufactured media like print or discs.

Reactions: GHG

Chukhopops

Went to MediaMarkt yesterday, everything is available but somehow both high-end consoles are still sold as bundles only… doesn’t make any sense to me. The PS5 was bundled either with GoW (alright) or with Forspoken + Gotham Knights (not alright). XSX is only available in the FH5 €599 bundle.

PlayStation 5 is easier to get now and people aren't buying XSX out of sheer desperation because they can't get PlayStation 5. That is a fact. In my circle of friends, 10 people bought an XSX because they couldn't buy a PlayStation 5 for months. Have already switched to the PlayStation 5 and sold their XSX.
10 people? Doing the same exact thing at the same exact time? For the same exact reason? Located entirely within your circle of friends?
The Simpsons Thumbs Up GIF

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It doesn't work that way. They'll take over whole sections of a manufacturing plant and will keep them for the lifetime of the console. "Production slots" are for mass manufactured media like print or discs.

Ahhh, OK. I wonder what happened in the last couple of years with those comments that Microsoft had secured allocation at the detriment of Sony?

Or, I guess that was just all fanboy bullshit, trying to blame MS for sonys weak supply chain then.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I needed a Xbox and ps5 earlier this week, fount then no issue in stock at brick and mortar stores.

Weirdly enough I saw something similar to the last week at the local smyths toys on Stockport. They had loads of PS5 disk, 4 series s and 0 zeros x. Didn't bother checking online just what I saw in store behind the tills.

Maybe they could produce more Series X if the Series S didn't exist.

However if Microsoft is still having supply issues I dont believe its because if that. It's probably due to them not wanting to produce as many units as Sony due to lower demand.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
OP… dude, you‘re in Australia. This country is fucking hopeless at stocking, selling and delivering electronic equipment. Things can be all over the shop when it comes to getting stuff. Compared to the UK it’s absolutely hopeless. If it means anything though, they had Series X in Cairns JB Hifi when I went in there the other day.

Last edited:

RafterXL

There is definitely a stock shortage. They're completely unavailable here in my area of the U.S. and have been for a while. Amazon is the only place I can order from and they require an invitation. Seems completely reversed stock with PS5 and XSX from a couple months ago.

But there is sweet fuck all XSXs around.
If no one was buying them the shelf would be full on a full time basis.
That's my point.

Mr.Phoenix

Went to MediaMarkt yesterday, everything is available but somehow both high-end consoles are still sold as bundles only… doesn’t make any sense to me. The PS5 was bundled either with GoW (alright) or with Forspoken + Gotham Knights (not alright). XSX is only available in the FH5 €599 bundle.

10 people? Doing the same exact thing at the same exact time? For the same exact reason? Located entirely within your circle of friends?
The Simpsons Thumbs Up GIF
something something birds and feathers.

There is definitely a stock shortage. They're completely unavailable here in my area of the U.S. and have been for a while. Amazon is the only place I can order from and they require an invitation. Seems completely reversed stock with PS5 and XSX from a couple months ago.
That's exactly what I have seen here.
It's great for people wanting a PS5 as finally there seems to be a steady supply and scalpers can fuck right off.
Something is a miss with the XSX.
That's why I said maybe there has been a issue with manufacturing? Maybe the 6nm revision fucked up.

Ozzie666

To be fair, while the rest of the world was struggling to find Switch consoles, they were readily available across the board in Australia. It's like they over shipped or overestimated the audience.
But PS5 has been easier to get than series X for a while now. Not sure why. But I have to wonder if Micrsoft is doing all it can to get the Activsion deal across the line by playing possum. Better supply than a similar country like Canada though. It's kind of odd.

Fredrik

That's exactly what I have seen here.
It's great for people wanting a PS5 as finally there seems to be a steady supply and scalpers can fuck right off.
Something is a miss with the XSX.
That's why I said maybe there has been a issue with manufacturing? Maybe the 6nm revision fucked up.
Yeah it’s weird, it used to be available just a month ago. But wouldn’t it be too early for a new revision?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
In Denmark the series s is available almost anywhere, however the only one having series x in stock are Microsoft.

They are sold out everywhere else.

Poltz

This was always going to be an issue when you have 2 console skus which use different chips. Xbox has to choose between Series X or Series S production.

ToadMan

Seems like Series S has sold more while Series X is stagnating.

Difficult to be sure because MS doesn’t report earnings reports or any interesting data about its xbox division…

But inferring from 3rd party sources, S seems to sell significantly better than X.

Couple that with losses on the Xsex hardware, layoffs and general tough times at MS…

Maybe they are reducing Series X production and focusing the units they do produce on territories where they might sell.

Perhaps they’ll “main” Series S going forward. It seems like a lot of MS marketing now focuses on the S - looking a the social media stuff MS put out around Christmas it was all Series S focused.

So if I had to guess I’d say MS just isn’t making that many Xsex for the moment presumably because it isn’t selling.

Top Bottom