• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[TweakTown] Sony is confident the PS5 can break 60 million sales

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Of course it will and personally I don't see Sony introducing PS6 anytime soon (like in the next ~3 years). They're going to drag the generation just like they've done with PS4.

ANIMAL1975

Relax, your still the best in the universe because you own a ps5. I have two so I'm doubly the best. Ah, the animated gif, crutch of the people on forums who think they are "clever"
Happy Birthday Cake GIF by Storyful

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'd double post that gif after this reply. Honestly what are you talking about, are you Ok?
What I stated us very simple, they have cleverly taken what could be a negative and made it ring more beneficial than it really is.
I apologize if this simple concept was too complicated for your grade level to grasp, I had assumed adults were involved.

Last edited:

Brucey

Or maybe the biggest portion of that 30% are people who buy first time consoles? Kids who have become teenager and want to buy it or parent who want to buy it for their young kids etc. Every minute there are hundreds new kids born that can be new console owners couple years down the road.
True but this would be offset some by older gamers dying off. But I see what you mean.

Amiga

There is less pressure for Sony to reduce hardware price and build an install base since PS4/PS5 are practically a single platform.

PS5s are now found on shelves in several countries (Strange that this didn't happen yet in the USA). Sony likely wants to first focus on the core players who will seek out the console online and tend to buy many games. Hogwarts sold tons on day1 and it is yet to release on PS4, so this strategy works. It worked so well it made Sony launch the PSVR2 without traditional retail.

With a rumored new design PS5 that is less costly to manufacture and signal sent by the high sales of Hogwarts, We could be entering a new phase where the console is going to widely available and game developers starting to make new gen only games.

Elios83

This is by the end of March 2024.
Which is in line with their forecast to sell over 20m units in the next fiscal year starting in April 2023.
It's obviously not LTD sales :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_grinning_sweat:

midnightAI

I thought 360 exceeded that.
sorry, it did, ignore me then :)

(although I do think the real reason Sony is saying what it is saying is just about underselling it publicly (maybe due to the ongoing MS Acti acquisition?), internally they probably expect/hope that it will do PS4 numbers, and I think this year we may see PS5 catch up to PS4 figures launch aligned)

Last edited:

midnightAI

This is by the end of March 2024.
Which is in line with their forecast to sell over 20m units in the next fiscal year starting in April 2023.
It's obviously not LTD sales :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_grinning_sweat:
Yep, just listened to it (instead of reading a misleading article), they are talking about 60 million 'incremental' units, so yeah, 60 million up to March 2024, they also expect to sell more PSVR2 than PSVR1

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
If they are picking such a low ball number, are they seeing something of concern? I mean do they have no games or something?

edit - oh, this is 2024. Yeah that makes sense and is reasonable.

Last edited:

vivftp

Steam sales won't cannibalize on consoles sales, I don't think so, it's hard for pc users to turn back and forth.

lol, I think you may have read the wrong posts. Let me just quote myself:

For even more perspective, the PS5 is at 32.1 million units as of the last quarterly report. Sony predicts 6.2 million more in Q4, which would bring it up to a total of 38.3 by the end of this FY (in 3 weeks).

So 38.3 plus Tom Hendersons rumor of 30.5 would put the PS5 at 68.8 million by the end of March 2024.

Even if we ignore Tom's rumor, Sony has said they expect the PS5 to surpass the PS4 sales curve next FY, which means the PS5 would need to move at least 22 million units to hit that goal. 38.3 + 22 would bring us to 60.3 million by the end of March 2024.

So yeah, over 60 million by the end of the next FY seems all but certain.

Last edited:

Pelta88

30% of PS5 owners are new to Playstation? Did they come from xb1?

Almost 50% of PS4 owners never had a PS3

Only the publishers know where that new found audience is coming from. That said, Sony is feasting on some other platform's market share. A combined 70% of their audience between PS4 and PS5, never owned a PlayStation previously?

Sony right now like

AlarmedRecklessGermanspaniel-max-1mb.gif

SHA

lol, I think you may have read the wrong posts. Let me just quote myself:

For even more perspective, the PS5 is at 32.1 million units as of the last quarterly report. Sony predicts 6.2 million more in Q4, which would bring it up to a total of 38.3 by the end of this FY (in 3 weeks).

So 38.3 plus Tom Hendersons rumor of 30.5 would put the PS5 at 68.8 million by the end of March 2024.

Even if we ignore Tom's rumor, Sony has said they expect the PS5 to surpass the PS4 sales curve next FY, which means the PS5 would need to move at least 22 million units to hit that goal. 38.3 + 22 would bring us to 60.3 million by the end of March 2024.

So yeah, over 60 million by the end of the next FY seems all but certain.
So it's periodic sales ,making bold claim as if were for lifetime sales is exaggerating, thanks for the details.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I also wonder if its going to be a shorter gen for Sony. I dont see how its not going to hit atleast 100 mil otherwise.TBH no matter how Iook at it 60 mil makes no sense unless PS6 coming in hot.
People that just assume 100 million is a given makes me chuckle.

yurinka

The Playstation is a 100+ millions console, I don't get it.
That doesn't sound like much. I would have guessed much more.
The most conservative prediction possible
Not exactly an ambitious target at the moment.
Only 60m? Sony are already dying from the Activison deal!
Vita really traumatized them, didn't?
The PS3 and even PSP did more than that... Of course it will do more than that, I'll be surprised if it can't crack 100 million.
Interesting spin, sales down vs last gen and its a "win". I mean know it really is anyhow, but it's just funny.
That doesn't sound like much. I would have guessed much more.
60 mil? Sony trying really hard here to be humble.

I miss arrogant Sony already.
Seems low and slow like the bbq of sales.
How is it compared to previous systems?
I thought 360 exceeded that
Morgan Stanley is probably considering the possible recession as a risk factor when they asked Sony that question.

The Morgan Stanley event interviewer meant 'over 60M' consoles sold until the end of the next fiscal year (before April 2024), not until the end of the console lifetime, which in case of Sony traditionally is 10+ years after its release.

Meaning, that in addition to achieve their 19M estimation for the current FY Sony would sell 22M (or more) consoles during the next fiscal year. The Morgan Stanley interviewer said that this next 4th fiscal year is typically where a console peaks in hardware sales, while they often peak in software sales during the 5th.

The Sony president agreed, he thinks they'll achieve that and also reminded that PS consoles normally sell above 100M as it has been the case of PS4.

They didn't mention it but as a reference in this fourth FY of the console PS1 did sell 21M+`and PS2 did sell 22M+. And having sold 'over 60M' would mean that at that April 2024 point PS5 would be the fastest selling PS console ever, even above the record being hold by PS4. That would mean PS5 would be launch aligned outselling Switch by March 2024 (or maybe earlier).

So no, they weren't traumatized by Vita and 360, PS3 or PSP didn't outperform that.

I also wonder if its going to be a shorter gen for Sony. I dont see how its not going to hit atleast 100 mil otherwise.TBH no matter how Iook at it 60 mil makes no sense unless PS6 coming in hot.
Of course it will and personally I don't see Sony introducing PS6 anytime soon (like in the next ~3 years). They're going to drag the generation just like they've done with PS4.
PS6 release in 2025??? Nope.
PS6 release in year 2028 o 2029.
As I remember in one of the regulators document, not sure if it was Sony, MS or ABK implied that the first CoD that would be released on PS6 would be the 2028 one, meaning they estimate PS6 to release late 2027 or early 2028, pretty much. In line with the same difference of almost exacty 7 year between that and the previous console release than the one we saw in previous cases lilke PS5 vs PS4 or PS4 vs PS3.

So no, to sell 60M+ on their first 4 fiscal years alone doesn't imply they'd have a shorter lifetime. If something it would be the opposite.

30% of PS5 owners are new to Playstation? Did they come from xb1?
I assume from PC, Switch and mostly XBO.

That's already leaked. Tom even has the exact hardware Numbers by month. Dude is very reliable no need to doubt him.

Sony mentioning they expect 60M+ by the end of March 2024 means Sony expects to sell 22M this FY that will start in a couple weeks, not 30M. Meaning Tom Henderson was lying (again) and Sony debunked that 'rumor'.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Of course they will.

Anyway, there's a lot of money being invested in the US and other countries to continue ramping up already growing domestic chip fabrication endeavors to avoid future supply chain issues. I assume that as this continues apace manufacturers of devices like the PS5 should see improved sales as they are able to produce more product.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Lol you do know you don't have to measure your self worth by your console of choice, right? Seriously sad that you can't stand even the smallest of criticism of anything Sony does or says without losing your mind.

Imtjnotu

Lol you do know you don't have to measure your self worth by your console of choice, right? Seriously sad that you can't stand even the smallest of criticism of anything Sony does or says without losing your mind.
I post a gif.

You posted a 40 word response to a gif.

And I'm the one losing my mind Lol

goldenpp72

The PS3 and even PSP did more than that... Of course it will do more than that, I'll be surprised if it can't crack 100 million.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That was not criticising waiting for rebuttals and a discussion, which you ignored, but throwing gasoline on the fire trying to upset other people and getting yourself a laugh. It was a longer form drive by.

Top Bottom