• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somethings going on with XSX supplies.

You straight up lying. Before sony announced stock got better, it took a couple of hours before they sold out. Xsx took days to sell out.

First, you can't tell me a damn thing about my own experience. I've purchased over 8 or more Playstation 5s since release. They've been very easy to get via memberships like walmart+ and through other means, and all at proper retail price. And yes, there were times when XSX took days to sell out, but they still sold out and would be a lot more difficult to find for very long afterward. And I damn sure wasn't finding too many of them in stores. So speak for yourself.

I've posted numerous times on this very site with proof as to the number of PS5's I've purchased with the receipts. They've been much easier to find than a Series X. Series S is the system that's been easier to find just about anywhere, easier than a PS5, but Series X consoles are a lot rarer to spot in the wild or see available for purchase for very long.

coffinbirth

In my experience, Series X has been a unicorn at retail. Since the beginning of January multiple retailers have had PS5's in stock and on display in my area, whereas Series X is still nowhere to be seen. You could build a ladder to heaven with Series S's though, haha.

Famipan

Could Xbox be selling out stock in preparation for new units with larger storage for an increased price?
Seems strange to do a price increase in Japan but not elsewhere...

Last edited:
Could Xbox be selling out stock in preparation for new units with larger storage for an increased price?
Seems strange to do a price increase in Japan but not elsewhere...

Series X is currently $500, why would they release a new base version that costs more than that with the only difference having more on-board storage?

DaGwaphics

If they up the storage it would likely be at the same MSRP they currently have (though they might only release bundles at first, pushing it up to the $560). They had already mentioned future storage upgrades as a possibility instead of price reductions. The little retail glitch probably means nothing, but a double up of the storage is within the realm of possibility. Especially if it comes along with a cost reduction revision that is cheapening some things inside the box.

Last edited:
PlayStation 5 is easier to get now and people aren't buying XSX out of sheer desperation because they can't get PlayStation 5. That is a fact. In my circle of friends, 10 people bought an XSX because they couldn't buy a PlayStation 5 for months. Have already switched to the PlayStation 5 and sold their XSX.
Can confirm. I was one of them, hindsight 2020 but been so glad with gamepass, was going to buy a ps5 anyway but i guess ill wait for a slim now.

Last edited:

Famipan

Series X is currently $500, why would they release a new base version that costs more than that with the only difference having more on-board storage?
True. Perhaps only for the sake of bumping Series S to 1TB and thus having to bump X to 2TB and still being around same price as PS5.

Three

If they up the storage it would likely be at the same MSRP they currently have (though they might only release bundles at first, pushing it up to the $560). They had already mentioned future storage upgrades as a possibility instead of price reductions. The little retail glitch probably means nothing, but a double up of the storage is within the realm of possibility. Especially if it comes along with a cost reduction revision that is cheapening some things inside the box.
There is absolutely no reason they would up the storage of the X for the same price. They sell expensive proprietary storage and already take a loss on the units.

Danknugz

have yet to see a series x at target but i did see a dude returning one once. don't think i've seen ps5 either come to think of it

edit seen plenty of series s

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

There is absolutely no reason they would up the storage of the X for the same price. They sell expensive proprietary storage and already take a loss on the units.

If they reworked the board a bit and gave themselves the space for the internal drive to be 2280 vs. 2230 there might not even be much of a price difference between a 1 and 2TB drive. The single chip stack configuration they are forced into with the 2230 comes at a price premium. At least for consumers, maybe at volume it isn't a consideration for them, I don't know. But the expensive addon storage could even be a reason to increase the drive sizes, as XSX users with a 2TB drive probably don't even bother to purchase additional storage negating the high cost of the external storage.

I would certainly hope that both XSS and XSX would get a storage upgrade eventually, the starting numbers were just a bit too low with games sizes the way they are. I don't see why they wouldn't though.

Alan Wake

Sometimes your mistakes start off well.

There was a lot of internal debate as to whether to even do a Series S. These people go overruled, but they can't take a victory lap.

There comes a time where people who are willing to throw money down on ANY console they can find runs out and then you only have consumers who you can convince to buy left.

Xbox is experiencing that right now. Supply outstrips demand, and you need to find ways to increase demand. What did they do? They tried to reduce price, but we're way too early in the product life cycle to be reducing price.

What they need first and foremost is exclusive games. That's usually what increases demand for a console. 2023 feels like deliver or go home for Xbox.

Naru

In my experience, Series X has been a unicorn at retail. Since the beginning of January multiple retailers have had PS5's in stock and on display in my area, whereas Series X is still nowhere to be seen. You could build a ladder to heaven with Series S's though, haha.
Same pretty much where I live. The complete opposite to a few months ago.

What they need first and foremost is exclusive games. That's usually what increases demand for a console. 2023 feels like deliver or go home for Xbox.

Companies are reluctant to put big exclusive games on Xbox now. And honestly, it's not just Xbox.

You look at what Capcom did with Resident Evil on Dreamcast and Gamecube... they did real damage to the RE franchise and it took YEARS to build it back up.

Look at Tomb Raider going to Xbox. The trajectory on that game was huge and Rise of the Tomb Raider sunk it.

You can calculate lost revenue from an individual game, but you can't really calculate lost revenue from a diminished franchise. Back in the day, people just assumed the fanbase would come back when the game or sequel came back to the system with the bigger userbase.

The reality is fans move on. Of course, it didn't help that the subsequent games weren't as well received, but the fanbase did move on.

Can you think of a single major exclusive on Xbox One? I think that boat has also left the harbor.

MrA

Banned
local to me series s readily available, still discounted too
ps5 no problem
ps4 full stock, not gonna lie thought that wouldn't happen again
xsx no where to be seen
switch plenty on shelves

El Muerto

I went to Target today and there werent any Series X in stock, just the Series S. Past few times i've been there I always saw at least 4 in the case since about August last year.

XSX are still supply restrained. The only ones around are Diablo 4 or Forza packs.

My theory is this.
MS is going to go ahead with their streaming box, but there isn't enough capacity to actually open it up for more users at this point. Imagine if they started selling the streaming box and you had to wait in ques for 10 minutes before you could get on. It would be a disaster.
I think they are putting everything into Xcloud in anticipation of releasing their streaming box.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
XSX are still supply restrained. The only ones around are Diablo 4 or Forza packs.

My theory is this.
MS is going to go ahead with their streaming box, but there isn't enough capacity to actually open it up for more users at this point. Imagine if they started selling the streaming box and you had to wait in ques for 10 minutes before you could get on. It would be a disaster.
I think they are putting everything into Xcloud in anticipation of releasing their streaming box.
Maybe a slim model is coming and no point on manufacturing the series x in high numbers right now

Series X haven’t been in stock in Sweden all year while finding a PS5 is no problem. Someone at MS should get the boot.

Edit: It’s available. I didn’t realize they are only selling bundles now.

Last edited:

demigod

My theory is this.

Lol no it’s not. Stealth price increase by shady ms that’s why you only see the forza bundles. Can easily get an xsx in the USA.

U4PLhK7.png

zomboden

Banned
A quick search gave some interesting results imo. It does seem like there’s something weird going on with the X. The sales aren’t crazy high, but its still out of stock in most places. I think they’ve slowed production and are putting most of the consoles into this June Diablo bundle. It is coming shortly before their summer showcase which I think they will announce a new model of X and Maybe S for Fall release.

But you think we’d see leaks of a new model.

Maybe they discontinue the S and do a streaming Xbox and a new more powerful single sku Xbox.

Last edited:
Series X haven’t been in stock in Sweden all year while finding a PS5 is no problem. Someone at MS should get the boot.
Maybe they don’t want to stock Sweden too much because next to no one chooses a Series console above the PS5 here. There are exceptions of course or some people who buy both consoles like I did.

Rykan

They don't need to. They sell regardless.

Maybe MS aren't as interested in selling hardware? They care more about their "game pass" service reach I think.
They do care about hardware because Gamepass access is "Locked" behind hardware. You need an Xbox or a capable PC to access gamepass, because nobody is going to pay 15$ a month for Cloudstreaming.

TLZ

Banned
Hardware is one of the biggest drivers for Gamepass subs at the moment.

They do care about hardware because Gamepass access is "Locked" behind hardware. You need an Xbox or a capable PC to access gamepass, because nobody is going to pay 15$ a month for Cloudstreaming.
But you don't really need an Xbox for it no? You can play it anywhere. That's how MS are marketing it. Also haven't they recently said their game pass subs grew the most on PC iirc?

Ozriel

M$FT
But you don't really need an Xbox for it no? You can play it anywhere. That's how MS are marketing it. Also haven't they recently said their game pass subs grew the most on PC iirc?

Certainly. But none of that downplays the importance of Xbox console hardware for driving subs.

Both Series X and Series S are available almost everywhere.

Series X ($499 SKU) is still cited on Amazon as 'available by Invitation' and hardware supply is described as limited. The base SKU is also sold out on Best Buy and Microsoft Store.

It does look like they diverted quite a bit of their limited stock to the Forza Bundle, which isn't exactly selling like hotcakes.

zomboden

Banned
I did a for fun search of all my local areas targets, gamestops, and walmarts and my conclusions are the following

1. Series S is available everywhere
2. PS5 Disc edition is Available everywhere and not bundled
3. Series X is available everywhere but only in Forza or Diablo bundles. Not a single store had console only.
4. Didn't see any Digital PS5's in stock at all.

Why bundle a console with a game pass game and charge $60 extra? Xbox sales are already behind why gate keep the bigger console. I feel like this will just push more people to buy the S or PS5.

At least Diablo isn't a game pass game (yet) so you get a game you wouldn't normally have access too. At this point I assume everyone who buys a new Xbox subscribes to game pass.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Why bundle a console with a game pass game and charge $60 extra? Xbox sales are already behind why gate keep the bigger console. I feel like this will just push more people to buy the S or PS5.

At least Diablo isn't a game pass game (yet) so you get a game you wouldn't normally have access too. At this point I assume everyone who buys a new Xbox subscribes to game pass.

Same issue in Japan. Series X is available in places but only with Forza for extra. It's bullshit and as you say will only drive people toward a different console.
At least with PS5 (back when they only had bundles) you had a choice (broadly) of action game or racing game and they weren't already included. With this Xbox bundle there's no other way to look at it (assuming, as you have, that 99.99999999% of people buying an Xbox are subscribing to GP).

They really are taking the piss lol.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Certainly. But none of that downplays the importance of Xbox console hardware for driving subs.

Series X ($499 SKU) is still cited on Amazon as 'available by Invitation' and hardware supply is described as limited. The base SKU is also sold out on Best Buy and Microsoft Store.

It does look like they diverted quite a bit of their limited stock to the Forza Bundle, which isn't exactly selling like hotcakes.
Because MS has bundled those Series X consoles with Forza.

But it's still the same Series X, so it's not shortage because of production issues. MS just wants to charge more by including a 30-month old game and charging $60 for it.

That's just akin to artificially increasing the price of the console - which is fine if that's what they want to do. But that does not amount to a shortage of Xbox Series X if it's intentional and by design.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Last edited:
They don't need to. They sell regardless.

Maybe MS aren't as interested in selling hardware? They care more about their "game pass" service reach I think.
They are really advertising the PS5s here where I am. "PS5 instock now" written on the door. They had a pallet of them on the floor. No XSX in stock. It's been the same way since Xmas time.
I honestly think they are just preferencing xcloud with their silicon at the moment.
Xcloud is still at Max capacity, with people sometimes going into cues.
If they intend to release a streaming box, which seems to be the case, they need to have capacity ready to go.

I also tend to think that because of the ABK deal MS was happy to make xbox look as bad as it could.
I think they also believe that with what they are building with Gamepass and all their studios, they will turn it around. Build it and they will come.
We saw Sony do this with the PS3. It started off really shit, and the public perception of them was really poor.
They kept on working through it, produced some awesome first party games that grabbed people's interest, and they clawed back the lead at the very end.

Top Bottom