• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild vs. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 442 58.3%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 316 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is actually such a great versus, two games with a very similar ethos for how they approach story telling, gameplay, world building, and mission design.

Very raw, open, and sandbox-y structure to its world. Focusing more on your experiences with the game mechanics and how you choose to approach situations and locations instead of holding your hand and taking you in a straight line. I'd say MGS V has more variety in what is realistically possible with its gameplay, even though you see some crazy things with BOTW on youtube, a lot of it requires crazy creativity and very unrealistic for most players to do. MGS gives you more easily accessible options.

But MGS V is also more annoying, I got bored of the fulton system quickly, mother base was pretty boring and the whole research system sucked. The story was all over the place and the game was very unfinished. In comparison to BOTW, which was more bare bones, but it felt more intuitive and simple, not much complexity to its mechanics (at a surface level), story was straight forward, the world was nicer and more atmospheric, more things to do.

What they both lacked was stronger mission structures and designs, MGS V needed to take more queues from its older games in that department, and BOTW needed better, interesting, and larger dungeons.

I'd say BOTW takes it because it felt like a more complete game, MGS V story made no fucking sense especially if you're new to the game, and it was clearly very unfinished.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I have my reasons
0c67abcdacf419dc0f5482be4a63893e_1509d95005bbd8d309f74386e1b63ac1.jpg

ALSO. IF I CAN PLAY TEAM AMERICA FUCK YEAH ON A FUCKING HELICOPTER WHILE IM ON THE MINI GUN YOU WIN!
Loll when it first came out some gamer nerd friend of mine wrote a review in which he said, i paraphrase because I've mostly forgotten it, that we'll all feel ashamed for objectifying Quiet, and that is was an ingenious bit of cutting social commentary on Kojima's part..

.. i was thinking the whole time i played it about what that final truth about quiet could be.. then

when i learned that she has to be 9 tenths naked all the time because she breathes through her skin

I.. just kept waiting for the big cutting social commentary truth about her to be revealed.

Then she walked away into the desert~

In short i have no idea what kinda koolaide that dude had drunk but he was waaay too intense about babe mcbabesauce there~ beeehwbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fbh

Zelda for sure.

Both are, in some ways, a departure from how they used to do things and both improved in some ways while disappointing in others (like Boss battles).
But overall I thought Zelda had more changes for the better while MGSV lost a lot of the elements that made me like the franchise in the first place. I also had a lot more fun exploring and going through the world in Zelda.

The funny thing will be seeing all these people adoring Botw saying how it was not actully all that great compared to Botw 2.

When Botw 2 comes out and it turn out a much more complete game than Botw, then fanboys will admit their bias

You do know a game can be really good while also having room for improvement, right?

I really enjoyed the game, definitely one of my top 10 for this gen. Yet it's easy to see how it could improve in terms of dungeons, bosses, story, sidequests and weapon durability.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
No game series gives me the feeling of being "left out" more than Zelda. I love fantasy, I love sword combat, I love music and grand adventures. I just wish I loved Zelda as much as everyone else.

Metal Gear Solid V gets my vote, once again.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
About 90% of the replies in this thread are people voting for MGSV - yet BotW is winning the vote comfortably.

Strange.

NintenGAF - come out, come out wherever you are....

MiguelItUp

MGSV is my vote. Even as an incomplete game it maintained my interest a LOT more than BotW did. I thought BotW was a fine game, but something about it made me lose interest after awhile. Not really sure why. MGSV held my interest through the entire experience, and by the end I was gutted there wasn't more.

Orta

Banned
About 90% of the replies in this thread are people voting for MGSV - yet BotW is winning the vote comfortably.

Strange.

Silent majority. As in all walks of life we prefer not to make a song and dance over common sense decisions.

MNGA!

Last edited:

DjMystix

I voted MGSV but unlike the other thread, I won't be disappointed if BOTW wins (which looks like it will). Despite MGSV being an amazing game overall, I can't forgive the incompleteness of story and literally nonsense additional plot in MGS saga that came out of nowhere and didn't make much sense. The gameplay is absolutely top notch and cannot be beaten.

BOTW had its frustrating moments and those god dang Divine beasts were a chore to navigate. But the true "open-world"-ness of the game is something we cannot dismiss. It was an incredible game for sure.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Both games are really good, but I enjoyed Zelda like a mad man so my vote goes there.

Hugare

MGS V could have been the GOAT

It nailed so many gameplay systems, controls were glorious, looked beautiful, AI was amazing, 60 fps on consoles, awesome cutscene direction

But Kojima really fucked up with the narrative. Like, REALLY fucked up.

I loved the game, but to this day it hurts, because it could have been so much more.

It came much closer to greatness than BOTW ever did.

Strange.

Boy I guess we really do see what we want to see. If you don't know that the vast majority of people who played BOTW greatly enjoyed it, you're just fixated on the BREATH OF THE BORE or "I'm not 9 years old" mad lads. People may get strident, but don't mistake them for a significant crowd.

poodaddy

BOTW is one of the best games I've ever played, but then MGSV was incredibly fun as well. I think I give it to BOTW on this one, but kind of barely. MGSV's entire base building and expanding stuff really dragged it down for me, and I hated having to research new gear, find materials, find good men, all the army building stuff was just boring busy work. The actual game design was great, and the controls were second to none. Invading bases, getting in and out like a ghost, interrogating folks, it was all just so goddamn good, I just didn't much care for all the unnecessary metagame shit. All in all, I can confidently say that I had more fun with Ground Zeroes than The Phantom Pain, and I just wish The Phantom Pain ended up being as concise and tightly designed as Ground Zeroes was. Would have probably been the perfect game in my eyes had that been the case.

kunonabi

I voted MGSV but unlike the other thread, I won't be disappointed if BOTW wins (which looks like it will). Despite MGSV being an amazing game overall, I can't forgive the incompleteness of story and literally nonsense additional plot in MGS saga that came out of nowhere and didn't make much sense. The gameplay is absolutely top notch and cannot be beaten.

BOTW had its frustrating moments and those god dang Divine beasts were a chore to navigate. But the true "open-world"-ness of the game is something we cannot dismiss. It was an incredible game for sure.

Much like the UI I bet the Divine Beasts were much more intuitive before the gamepad functionality got ripped out as I'd bet anything that they were actually built around it.

And so does BOTW, objectively.

Not really aside from the classic Link outfit and the bard's song. Almost everything else has almost no payoff of worth or is done exceedingly poorly. Hell, take the memory collecting for example. They decide to tie the ending to whether or not Link regains his memories which pretty much revolve around his relationship with Zelda, and yet the reward is completely disconnected from that. They have this emotional, well as emotional as the game gets anyway, moment where Zelda asks Link if he remembers her and they just fade to black in both endings. What should have happened is LInk speaking for the first time and saying her name. A tremendous moment was staring them in the face and they blew it which is something the game does at pretty much every turn.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Didn’t even play Zelda but mgs5 was the most disappointing game of the generation so my vote goes to botw

Start to finish Breath of the Wild is one of the most coherent experiences you can get in an open world game. Weapon degredation is an absolute fucking chore and should just be gone IMO. Playing via Emulation fixes this 1 big problem with BoTW.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Phantom Pain was a great game. Systems, features and mechanics wise it was amazing. But for me it lacked a little something to keep me playing all the way to the end.

BotW grabbed me from day 1 and didn’t let me go until I’d finished it. For me at least it’s up there as one of the best games ever made.

GenericUser

I voted mgs. I don't like zelda games. Don't know why, it's probably me. But can you imagine what mgs5 could have been if kojima had the time to really finish the product? Goty easily. Gameplay is superb, just needs a bit more variety and a big ass proper mgs story with tons of mindfucks and crazy shit - boom, best game evar.

The Mgs we got was basically a third of the game and the missing rest was filled up with reused missions. Story was barely there, a real shame. Damn, depressing to think about.

Mozzarella

I have to admit this forum is by far the most positive one on Metal Gear Solid V.
Im not a fan of both games, i have issues with both, never been a big fan of both franchises as well, but i think the older MGS titles are better than Zelda titles. But for this one i will go with Breath of the Wild for a better finals.
MGS 1 = MGS 3 > Majora's Mask > MGS 2 > Wind Waker > Ocarina of Time > MGS 4 > Breath of the Wild > Twilight Princess > MGS 5 > Skyward Sword

Metal Gear Solid > Zelda

johntown

Banned
Two IMO incredibly boring and padded games that lack any real substance. Since I like the older Zelda games and cannot stand this one MGSV5 got my vote.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I honestly loved both of these games and thought they were fantastic. I know this isn't ground breaking talk but BOTW, man it's the best handheld game ever.

And MGSV is the best playing open world game ever. Voted for that game just to go down with the ship.

Last edited:
Breath of the Wild was so good, so many fun things to do and so many ways to go about doing things in the world.

The game was the first game all my siblings and I played at the same time since we were teenagers playing Super Nintendo together in the 90's.

Easily my GOTG.

scalman

what you mean VS ? its with not vs . with. play all games. those both are masterpieces. if choose just one you will loose a lot .

Top Bottom