• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Metal Gear Solid 4 to be included in The Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol.2

The Stig

metalgearweed.jpg

Finally.

While it is a very flawed game it is worth playing.
this is important. pass that shit

Sleepwalker

This is the only Metal Gear game I’ve played.
It was the game I bought with my PS3.
I have Ground Zeroes and MGS5 on XSX.
Should I check them out?
Gameplay wise they are at least 2 full gens ahead, so yes. Also ground zeroes is like 1 hour long.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It’s a million times better then that open boringbox called 5
At least 5 continues to have gameplay throughout, even if it's disappointing as an MGS game where you're supposed to infiltrate large bases and have progression (which we got one time and never again).

MGS4's acts:
1: full gameplay, great stuff
2: full gameplay, great stuff except on rails shooting
3: boring slow tailing mission (essentially an auto-scroller) then on rails shooting again
4: no human enemies at all, so half the gameplay is wasted
5: one room of enemies, set piece, mash button to crawl, final boss

Get me an MGS4 where I can actually play it for more than half of the game and I'll be there day one.

Gojiira

At least 5 continues to have gameplay throughout, even if it's disappointing as an MGS game where you're supposed to infiltrate large bases and have progression (which we got one time and never again).

MGS4's acts:
3: boring slow tailing mission (essentially an auto-scroller) then on rails shooting again

Get me an MGS4 where I can actually play it for more than half of the game and I'll be there day one.
Shadow Moses was awesome..,Culmination of the entire franchise, was so full of FEELS and nostalgia done well. Plus that chapter had two of the single best boss battles ever created, Metal Gear REX vs Ray and Snake vs Ocelot…

RaduN

Question:
Will they use the source code/game data and re-make in realtime the 2 pre-rendered cutscenes at the end of Act 3, so they don't look like complete shit in 4k or whatever resolution this will run at?

Answer:
100% no fucking way, because why bother..?

Loved every second of this game. Otacon is the absolute best damn character, eva'.

Kerotan

Of course it is as without mgs4 vol 2 wouldn't sell much. It won't happen but it would be amazing if they added a few new gameplay areas to explore.

Best news.Metal Gear Solid 4 was and is an absolute masterpiece in every regard.The online part was the most fun and funny ever so much memories.Single player part is incredible cinematics are amazing.

Sybrix

MGS4's acts:

The thing with MGS4 was that it was never supposed to be made.

Kojima wanted to stop at MGS2, then came MGS3 (Big Boss) and 4 really wasn't supposed to happen.

However it did and given the lore in MGS at the end of MGS2 and 3, MGS 4 was always going to be story focused than gameplay focused, even more so given Kojima's a huge movie fan.

I've completed MGS 4 about 5 times, 3 of those play throughs was just to watch the cut scenes again (this was in 2008/09 before it was all on YouTube)

So i've never really got the whole complaint from fans about how half the game is a movie essentially.... if you played MGS1,2,3, you kinda knew that MGS was always more story than gameplay and you were itching for more lore and story.

Last edited:

RaduN

The use of the traditional MGS Theme in the trailer is promising
It's not the traditional MGS theme. It's just the Gregson-composed part of the MGS3 theme, that is not under copyright infringement.
The classic MGS theme can not be used in any new products anymore (since 2005 or so). Konami are only allowed to (re)distribute the existing products with that theme.

This makes me wonder if Snake Eater remake will be allowed to have the theme. It may or may not fall into the same agreement as the HD remaster did.
MGS3 without the main theme is really really unconcievable to me.

Kerotan

well thats just not happening

would be nice though. the game didnt let you "play" enough
It was great but imagine it with double the gameplay areas. Or imagine a mgs2 remake where they let you play snakes part of the mission in addition to raidens.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Shadow Moses was awesome..,Culmination of the entire franchise, was so full of FEELS and nostalgia done well. Plus that chapter had two of the single best boss battles ever created, Metal Gear REX vs Ray and Snake vs Ocelot…
Rex vs Ray was fine, sure. But the bulk of Act 4 is completely lacking in gameplay once the nostalgic novelty of Shadow Moses in HD wears off. Sneak past a couple weak robot balls with 3 arms and you're done.

Act 5 would have been good if it was 3x as long. That one room of gameplay was a vertical slice of the core gameplay's gamut and I wish there was more of it. The boss was the boss - acceptable but not fantastic - and Snake vs Ocelot is a cinema over substance. It's fine, but I wouldn't say it's the high point of a playthrough. The way it plays out is cool but that's all it's got going for it.

Top Bottom