• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 - Preview Thread

It seems that previews for Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 have started dropping. If I'm missing one, please post in the thread and I'll add it to the OP.

Last edited:
Just looked through the Nintendo Life preview and these two paragraphs caught my attention... Konami disappointing Metal Gear fans yet again.
These versions run at 720p, and the Switch version is also seemingly capped at 30fps, despite the original HD releases running at 60fps. Considering the Switch is more powerful than the two consoles that previously held this pair of games, it’s disappointing to say the least that the frames have been halved.
We asked about performance on PS5, Xbox Series X, plus the newly announced PS4 release; Konami clarified that the games will be targeting the same resolution (720p) and frame rate of the initial HD releases. Given that Switch isn’t running them at 60fps, we suppose we’ll have to wait and see how things fare on the other platforms.

Last edited:

The Shepard

I have these on the ps3 and xbox. If theres no resolution boost then there's just no point in getting them till there dirt cheap. I also have metal gear solid on the ps3/vita. I just hope mgs4 is in volume 2 and not the same resolution as the ps3 release, that would sting the most.

RagnarokIV

according to Konami’s Director of Brand Marketing Ben Kinney, “We put the white gloves on and just whatever needed to be touched up or trimmed just to modernize them. We did that and then the rest we just left as it was, because that was the intent.”

Would lines do we think have been cut then? Maybe Snake saying he'd let Naomi do a strip search on him?

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Demarcus Cousins Sport GIF

SJRB

Gold Member
A lot of extras and goodies, which is nice. But the technical performance of the games is mediocre at best, terrible at worst (30 fps, get outta here).

Not looking too good.

skit_data

I wonder if they'll have an option for 16:9 aspect ratio, I really don't like having those borders on each side. There should at least be an option to choose between the two IMO.
Is there any technical reason to not implement that?

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
I really hope that, at some point, people actually start basing their purchases on the reputation of the company. Konami and Take 2 are doing this for one simple reason: it is the most profitable option for them. They can get nearly the same revenue from near zero investment as they can from throwing millions at a more reputation-building effort. It’s never going to happen, I know, but if this kind of shit marked them out as “company that makes shit products” then it might start affecting sales of products that they actually put effort into, which in turn might just make them rethink bullshit moves like this.

As it stands, I already had very little enthusiasm for Bloober’s SH2. Knowing that they will need to cut every corner they can in order to meet Konami’s budgeting demands, I’m now placing everything there firmly in “90s video games based on movies” territory.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Going for a competition with R* to see who can put in the least amount of effort with “ports” and “remasters” 😂

“Will their textures be updated? Are they targeting a locked 60 frames per second like the 360 version hits on Xbox Series X? Will the 720p native resolution be updated? That native resolution was what the HD collection from Bluepoint was set at for Metal Gear Solid 2, and Metal Gear Solid 3. That’s going to look a little soft on modern consoles.”

What are these companies doing with a preview if they’re asking these questions to the Audience. I don’t know mate, you’re the journalist, you should be asking Konami these questions!!!

IGN are an embarrassment.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I can see that they're keeping it real by providing us with the original PS1 version of MGS with zero improvements to the resolution, texture filtering, or frame rate...

charlie-murphy-charlie.gif

Fucking Konami, man.

Well, I can scratch that one off my list of games to buy this year. I will just go back to finishing the HD Collection that I already bought on PS3, lol.

skit_data

This might actually be worth a separate thread but since it's related to the topic:

Are Konami overplaying/underplaying their hand with these remakes/remasters?
They really don't seem to put very much effort into them or give them the treatment they deserve.
Is it because they just count on the IPs being so legendary that these games will sell anyway or do they just don't think they will sell enough to warrant the attention/resources needed to give us remakes on the level of for example Capcoms?

Top Bottom