• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Metal Gear Solid 4 to be included in The Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol.2

sensor

The thing with MGS4 was that it was never supposed to be made.

Kojima wanted to stop at MGS2, then came MGS3 (Big Boss) and 4 really wasn't supposed to happen.

However it did and given the lore in MGS at the end of MGS2 and 3, MGS 4 was always going to be story focused than gameplay focused, even more so given Kojima's a huge movie fan.

I've completed MGS 4 about 5 times, 3 of those play throughs was just to watch the cut scenes again (this was in 2008/09 before it was all on YouTube)

So i've never really got the whole complaint from fans about how half the game is a movie essentially.... if you played MGS1,2,3, you kinda knew that MGS was always more story than gameplay and you were itching for more lore and story.

I can deal with a game that's heavy on the story and light on the gameplay if it can justify that balance. The problem is that the story in MGS4 is just so incredibly mawkish and lame.

You touched on how it wasn't supposed to be made, and MGS4 really does play out like Kojima had completely lost interest in MGS as a series and was only making the game because of company pressure. I despise MGS4. I say that as someone who loves Hideo Kojima and enjoys just about every other game he's made.

For me, it's a muddled and unsatisfying conclusion to the Solid Snake saga, bogged down with a slew of retcons, character assassinations and flanderisation. It's a game devoid of any coherence or identity, and had absolutely nothing of value to contribute to the series outside of a couple of decent gameplay sections early in the game. Coming off two of the best games ever made in MGS2 and 3, it represents one of the most disappointing video game experiences I can remember. It still pisses me off to this day and I will never not be baffled by the review scores it got.

Not getting on anyone's case or anything, it's cool that people still like it, I've just always had a strong reaction to how poorly I felt the story was handled in MGS4.

RaduN

Yeah, entirely subjective.
I found the Sanke's rapid aging plot device, the resentful Otacon arc, innocent Sunny arc, to be absolutely great, well worth exploring and ultimatelly, deeply poignant.
Also the idea of the all powerful A.I being fooled into using the same previously succesful counter measures to destroy its enemy, while unsurprisingly bloated and stretching the suspension of diesbelief to new heights, was pretty damn insane, in the best possible way.

I'm not even going into the return to Moses, the set pieces, the last damn battle - the direction of all these was and is unmatched.

It's not to say there aren't cracks here and there, but as a first time experience (and 2nd and 3rd maybe), it wad mind blowing.
Just my 2 cents.

I have gotten over my disappointment with MGS 4 story, but I vividly remember act 3 when you meet Big Mama for the first time, and she goes on her explanation and thinking disappointedly "Really? Are you freaken kidding me?" :messenger_unamused: For me, it was my Game of Thrones moment where I just didn't care for anything afterwards when it came to the story because of how poorly they handled it.

Last edited:

simpatico

The more I really think about what replaying MGS4 actually entails, I don't think I will. I've got fond memories of it and I'm ok with that.

Reactions: Isa

Synless

Having gotten a platinum in the game I can safely say it might be the worst in the series, it’s unevenly paced, cutscene heavy, and has some stupid fucking chapters (EU anyone, yuck). It does have some incredible highs though... and that ending battle *chef kiss*.

Best and worst of MGS world. I hope people will re-evaluate 4 after this game will get port.
i thought 4 was the worst because you could play it like an action game... just running around mowing everyone down.
tons of ammo, and massive gun selection.
tactical espionage action, my ass.

story and levels were weird too.

but theres also something oddly special about it.
and its the only one i havent replayed.

looking forward to it.
(except that nighttime european city part, so boring)

After years, MGS 4 is finally being released from the cage of PS3-only, and now some of GAF are starting to turn on it.

boat-official.gif

radewagon

After years, MGS 4 is finally being released from the cage of PS3-only, and now some of GAF are starting to turn on it.
Yeah. It's interesting alright. I feel like people are forgetting how absolutely bonkers the series is. I don't think it's possible to like the MGS series but somehow realistically have issues with part 4's story. Like, how is it that you were able to put up with all the love blooming on the battlefield and roller-skating bomber boss and Jack and Rose do you remember what today is garbage and Volgin crotch-grabbing antics and so on and so on, but then MGS4 somehow is a bridge to far? You were able to put up with all of Kojima's delightful BS but MGS4 is too much?

I can deal with a game that's heavy on the story and light on the gameplay if it can justify that balance. The problem is that the story in MGS4 is just so incredibly mawkish and lame.

You touched on how it wasn't supposed to be made, and MGS4 really does play out like Kojima had completely lost interest in MGS as a series and was only making the game because of company pressure. I despise MGS4. I say that as someone who loves Hideo Kojima and enjoys just about every other game he's made.

For me, it's a muddled and unsatisfying conclusion to the Solid Snake saga, bogged down with a slew of retcons, character assassinations and flanderisation. It's a game devoid of any coherence or identity, and had absolutely nothing of value to contribute to the series outside of a couple of decent gameplay sections early in the game. Coming off two of the best games ever made in MGS2 and 3, it represents one of the most disappointing video game experiences I can remember. It still pisses me off to this day and I will never not be baffled by the review scores it got.

Not getting on anyone's case or anything, it's cool that people still like it, I've just always had a strong reaction to how poorly I felt the story was handled in MGS4.

How do u feel about Phantom Pain's story? To me its even worse. Not as absurd as MGS4 but even less satisfying

Raonak

Banned
MGS4 is amazing, it's got some flaws, but I absolutely kojima going totally balls to the walls with everything.

There isn't enough gameplay, but the gameplay that is there is the peak of MGS (better than V imo),
the graphics hold up well, environments are fantastic, the soundtrack is awesome, the setpieces are great.

Kojima's dedication to making this to satisfy all the fans is very commendable,
the story did a great job of tying up all the loose ends and make the MGS storyline into somewhat cohesive whole.

It's still probably my favourite MGS game. I think MGS1,2,3 & 4 are all masterpieces.

One, I'm not so hyped about MGS4 ports after seeing Konami fumble PS1 and PS2 games. Two, I feel like most of the hype MGS4 gets is because it's the most "elusive", like it's the hardest to emulate or play today.

MGS4 still has one of the most insane cutscenes ever in a videogame with Raiden vs geckos, so damn good. Anyway, I consider every MGS masterpiece, would expect this collection to also have Peace Walker and both Acid games, these are some genuine PSP classics. I guess GZ and TPP would be included too but seeing how Konami handled the first Collection this won't be a day 1, wait and see.

A.Romero

MGS4 still has one of the most insane cutscenes ever in a videogame with Raiden vs geckos, so damn good. Anyway, I consider every MGS masterpiece, would expect this collection to also have Peace Walker and both Acid games, these are some genuine PSP classics. I guess GZ and TPP would be included too but seeing how Konami handled the first Collection this won't be a day 1, wait and see.

I'd argue meryl+sasaki was even more so because it was pretty bonkers.

I'm obviously a Kojima fan so I'll get it even if they fuck the ports in vol.1. I know I'm the problem but least it is the only series I'm willing to dip as many times as possible and collect them.

RaduN

4k 60fps is all it needs.
No.

They need to keep the actual graphics at least intact (post processing effects, shaders, particles, etc).
There are a million ways they can (and most likely will) fuck up the MGS4 port, apart from resolution.
I mean, look at all the post ps2 MGS2 and 3 releases. All are fuked up graphically, no exceptions.

The Stig

I have gotten over my disappointment with MGS 4 story, but I vividly remember act 3 when you meet Big Mama for the first time, and she goes on her explanation and thinking disappointedly "Really? Are you freaken kidding me?" :messenger_unamused: For me, it was my Game of Thrones moment where I just didn't care for anything afterwards when it came to the story because of how poorly they handled it.
THIS

SkylineRKR

MGS4 is probably the worst of the 4. It becomes a rail shooter halfway through and the plot is dumb even for MGS standards. I played a ton on PS3, I beat it on the highest setting, as well as no k/d/alert runs. There are some highs in here, for me it was spectacular to be able to control REX. The game did have charm though, there are things in here you won't find in other AAA games. Its very gamey and corny, and there were a lot of things to do. It was a complete package and as far as I remember I didn't encounter any bugs whatsoever.

But after 3 Subsistence MGS4 did feel like a downgrade to me. MGS3 was so much smarter in design.

That filter is disgusting
Same argument different game. I stand by what rofif rofif is saying. Ripping out color grading completely isn't the answer. I don't know what it is about PC gamers/modders but they want every game to have an equal level of color(a.k.a. zero color grading), like most old 90s games, but it just kills artistic intent.

I guess the best option would be a toggle for those who care.

What is think is whatever chinese company konami hired to get this off ps3 is going to churn out a port that runs worse than the original game

CGNoire

Having gotten a platinum in the game I can safely say it might be the worst in the series, it’s unevenly paced, cutscene heavy, and has some stupid fucking chapters (EU anyone, yuck). It does have some incredible highs though... and that ending battle *chef kiss*.
And nowhere near enough music score. So many Endless quiet ass cutscenes with no real punch or atmosphere cause of that shit.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Yeah. It's interesting alright. I feel like people are forgetting how absolutely bonkers the series is. I don't think it's possible to like the MGS series but somehow realistically have issues with part 4's story. Like, how is it that you were able to put up with all the love blooming on the battlefield and roller-skating bomber boss and Jack and Rose do you remember what today is garbage and Volgin crotch-grabbing antics and so on and so on, but then MGS4 somehow is a bridge to far? You were able to put up with all of Kojima's delightful BS but MGS4 is too much?
Yes...yes it was.

Arachnid

TBH I get the discourse. It's my favorite Metal Gear, but I finally got a chance to play it again more recently and was more critical of its flaws (namely the exposition dumps and the last three acts dropping in quality).

The first two acts are IMO the best the series has to offer in the gameplay department. The stealth through an active battlefield as we tracked Liquid thing was 10/10 bliss. For some reason, the next three acts ditched it outside of like one room in Outerhaven at the end.

Also, the sniper fight with Crying Wolf is the best boss fight in the series. Tracking her disappearing footprints in the snow through a sprawling arena with verticality and having to take the wind direction into account to avoid her tracking Snake through scent while dealing with the subzero temperatures in a white out slowly demoralizing Snake all while having to evade foot soldiers? Amazing boss design. Like holy shit dude

MGS4s highs are the highest in the series IMO, but its lows are rough.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

TBH I get the discourse. It's my favorite Metal Gear, but I finally got a chance to play it again more recently and was more critical of its flaws (namely the exposition dumps and the last three acts dropping in quality).

The first two acts are IMO the best the series has to offer in the gameplay department. The stealth through an active battlefield as we tracked Liquid thing was 10/10 bliss. For some reason, the next three acts ditched it outside of like one room in Outerhaven at the end.

Also, the sniper fight with Crying Wolf is the best boss fight in the series. Tracking her disappearing footprints in the snow through a sprawling arena with verticality and having to take the wind direction into account to avoid her tracking Snake through scent while dealing with the subzero temperatures in a white out slowly demoralizing Snake all while having to evade foot soldiers? Amazing boss design. Like holy shit dude

MGS4s highs are the highest in the series IMO, but its lows are rough.
I loved going back through Shadow Moses. I'm a sucker for nostalgic stuff like that.

Sleepwalker

The highs in 4 are so obscenely high that I dont remember its lows anymore. Will be interesting to replay it after so long, it was the first game I tracked down when I finally got a PS3.

Roni

Gold Member
MGS4 without MGO2 is half a game. Most of the gameplay is only really explored in MGO2. It's really shameless how little gameplay MGS4 offers past Act 2.

Act 3 is a Hitman-lite experience combined with an on-rails vehicle chase and a boss fight.

Act 4 is a linear set of hallways with drones and mechs and two boss fights.

Act 5 is one gameplay area and two boss fights.

Last edited:
They couldn't even get PS1 and PS2 ports right. How are they going to handle a port from PS3s alien architecture?
Probably hired some chinese company to crank out a quick and dirty port and i think it will run worse than it did on ps3

Last edited:

Kerotan

You're getting 720p with AI upscaling to 1080p and you're gonna like it
I've only played MGS4 like twice. Least played in the Series and if it doesn't get an upgrade can't see myself being bothered or going for the platinum. There's talk of MGSV being included but that's already on ps4/5 so unless they actually remaster it's pointless.

Top Bottom