• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild vs. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 442 58.3%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 316 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

eksQjVU.jpg

Tschumi

MGS V is my most played game of this Generation bar none. The gameplay loop is fantastic, the story is epic (though it isn't perfect, and falls off in the final stages because Konami shat all over Kojima's dreams), and I think that the key consideration to be noted here is that it is probably more original than Zelda. Zelda's stories are oftentimes forgettable garnish to the action, so I'm not sure that's enough to take it over MGSV.

Not trying to put down Zelda but it is a decades old series, and it did make a shift to open world a la Skyrim etc. This has all been done before. MGS V itself also did the open world shift - but it did it in such a novel way.

We're deep into the competition, and this is a semi final, both of these games are hugely accessible and entertaining (unlike the balance in the previous poll, arguably), but I'm going with MGSV because it was a one-off, it was hugely long and entertaining, and the gameplay was pitch perfect. But Zelda should get votes because it is hugely successful and accessible, portable, and highly regarded.

I can't even begin to guess which of MGSV and Witcher 3 I'd vote for in the final poll...

On the other hand :p It'll be the hipster *shit combat* brigade for W3 vs the degradable weapons brigade for Zelda xP

Last edited by a moderator:

Kumomeme

this is hard choice. literally gameplay vs gameplay.

open world design wise, botw is better while mgsv has some weakness. former has proper landmark, tower and stuff to do and explore each few secs of exploring while later more about return to base and deploy later.
im more fans of melee fantasy fight but botw combat is kind of dissapointment lacking while mgsv gameplay is top notch tight with great blend of open world nature like day light cycle and weather.

there lot of creative freedom player can play with botw physic but mgsv also has lot of creative freedom to tackle with situation, gear and even manipulating A.I creatively.

mgsv for me. best open world gameplay package.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Breath of the Wild was a touch of magic that came at the perfect time. The music, the world design, the mechanics, the characters, it made me feel like a kid in a good way.
And the Switch was the perfect platform to experience it on as well.

MGS V was great, loved how refined the controls felt and I was very immersed when on a mission, but it felt so weird being unfinished and not having David Hayter. Also the weird credit roll after every mission.

My pick is Definitely Zelda.

-Arcadia-

Banned
BotW for me. I loved MGSV, but it didn’t come together nearly as well as the former.

An MGSV with an emotional, amazing story, and open world that was full of interesting things to explore, would have, but this wasn’t that game.

Wunray

BoTW all day every fucked day, it's open world freedom at its best. Nintendo has a winning formula here and if improved upon the sequel can be the greatest of all time. BoTW gets what an open world should strive for, yes it's story isn't some naughty dog (pre last of us 2) level masterpiece but what it lacks there it makes up in the spirit of adventure there hasn't been a game since OoT that made me want to explore every inch of it's world, a game where I can firmly say I want to do this thing this way and not get punished for it.

ShadowLag

I had to go with MGSV. I love BOTW to absolute death and it's only a .01% difference, but MGSV wins for me as a game that left some impression of "meaning" on me. It was fun exploring a massive Hyrule with an insane amount of freedom, beautiful art style, advanced physics, and perfect soundtrack - but the story and lasting connections pale in comparison to building up Mother Base, getting to know your soldiers personally, experiencing "loss" that is connected by both gameplay and narrative, developing an endless arsenal of incredibly detailed and customizable weapons, and the best stealth based open-world gameplay to date.

bender

What time is it?
Whenever I'm undecided I send a vote to the game losing.

Is there a way to see who is winning?

The finals will be interesting as either way, the finalists will be polar opposites. Strong mechanics/fun open world sandboxes with weak narratives versus a strong narrative with weak mechanics/also-ran open world.

Is there a way to see who is winning?

The finals will be interesting as either way, the finalists will be polar opposites. Strong mechanics/fun open world sandboxes with weak narratives versus a strong narrative with weak mechanics/also-ran open world.

BotW is winning. But maybe ask after both have over 400 votes and I'll tell you.

Maestr0

Even if I like MGS V for its gameplay (oh boy, the story..... xDDDD), zelda makes it less tedious, more enjoyable and it know what the player want.... and also I have a personal hatred for Konami right now, especially my castlevania craving...........
So BOTW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MGS V

Badass Helicopter Takedown
8L3P6mx.gif
This clip is TRASH and you are a TRASH, only badass way to take down a helicopter is headshot with a snipe

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
BotW is overrated, but of all the super high scoring overrated games BotW and The Witcher are the only ones I actually enjoyed.

I can't believe MGSV is still in this and that it beat the highly overrated RDR2. I didn't like RDR2, but I hated MGSV. It's a tossup between that and UC4 for the overrated game I hated the most, probably this one at least I finished UC4.

Anyway - sorry for the rant, obviously my vote goes to Zelda.

Phase

To me this was one of the worst Metal Gear's I've played, and I didn't really like Breath of the Wild. So I abstain from the vote.

Jeeves

I love both games a lot. MGSV is one of the few games I would vote over BotW, so I'm doing it here. Really does my heart good to see that it got this far.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Both big with gamplay but light in story. Good Comparison
MGSV once surprised me with its Birthday Sequence, I wasnt ready at all. Made me really happy.
Zelda BotW really brings back the Zelda NES feeling and i love it.

This is close, but i chose BotW

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Zelda, abolutely no question. There is a reason why MGS dropped to 10 bucks within a year and the CE is still available while Zelda is still 50 bucks and the LE was sold out immediately.

supernova8

Banned
Both games represent a big change from their predecessors. BOTW just did the open world thing a bit better. Probably thanks to the better movement mechanics in BOTW. Sure MGS has stand, crouch, prone (front prone/back prone) but BOTW just wins with the ability to climb most naturally climbable things if you have stamina.

Inability to climb (unless there's a conveniently placed "crack" or some other hand-placed thing) anything in MGS really killed the immersion for me. I have all these gadgets but I can't climb up a steep hill?!

Last edited:

Moonjt9

Both games are really good takes on an open world and the possibilities with that style of game.

Hard to see BOTW not running away with this one though. A lot of people consider it not just a game of the generation but one of the best of all time.

Top Bottom