• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild vs. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 442 58.3%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 316 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DonJorginho

Banned
Zelda, abolutely no question. There is a reason why MGS dropped to 10 bucks within a year and the CE is still available while Zelda is still 50 bucks and the LE was sold out immediately.
That's just because it's a Nintendo exclusive game, they're the kings of never cutting prices.

BOTW has many arguments you could use to put it over MGS V, but to make your main point about price drops just exposes your IQ.

Last edited:
I think botw is gonna win this whole thing because all the BB fanboys will vote for it in the final ^_^

Well that's a stupid reasoning, MGSV is a Playstation game, and the Witcher is multiplatform. Playstation fans voting for a Nintendo exclusive is like betraying their own platform, and therefore NOT a true Sony fanboy.

Roufianos

I have infinitely more love for the MGS series than Zelda but I think BoTW is the better game here, by far. One of the true masterpieces this gen.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Mentioning how picking childish points which don't make sense exposes a not so sharp IQ isn't an insult it's an observation, if you get butthurt over it that's your problem.
They are not childish if you think about it, but you know what that requires. And of course that was not the only reason for my vote, but i didn't want to repeat what many people already said in this and the other polls rather than bring something new. Enough time wasted with you->ignore.

Last edited:

Hugare

Sigh, another one that I cant vote

Hope to reach the requirements until the final showdown

Anyway, I choose MGS V

BOTW is one of the most overrated games that I've ever experienced.
I wanted to enjoy it, I really did. I've played it for more than 20h, but I just couldnt.

Instead of 120 freaking shrines, how about some actual dungeons?

Instead of NINE HUNDRED korok seeds, how about some meaningful sidequests?

The map looks great, but actual traversing it is fucking exausting.
Going on foot take ages, the horse is slow as fuck.

Verticality is awesome, when you are up high. When you are down in a canyon, jesus christ, trying to find a way up is ugh

Towers that unlocks parts of the map, so innovative, wow.

Combat is ok (although try changing gear while moving, it sucks), but the breakable weapons are a joke. A fucking joke.

"Oh but its made on purpose so you can improvise". Design better enemies then. Some that can only be damaged with elemental powers, some that can be only killed by using weapon X in a certain way.
There are infinite options to make the combat better and dynamic. "Breakable weapons" is lazy and boring as fuck.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Zelda, abolutely no question. There is a reason why MGS dropped to 10 bucks within a year and the CE is still available while Zelda is still 50 bucks and the LE was sold out immediately.
I'm not gonna call ya dumb but i also don't think the pricing between the two games reveals much.

MagnesG

Banned
Lol this poll is evil. How am I gonna choose between those two.

I think the only input I can give is that not everyone likes stealth focused gameplay.

"Oh but its made on purpose so you can improvise". Design better enemies then. Some that can only be damaged with elemental powers, some that can be only killed by using weapon X in a certain way.
There are infinite options to make the combat better and dynamic. "Breakable weapons" is lazy and boring as fuck.
Then you would have to carry a multitude type of weapons, like always, like in other games.

They are trying different things with solid reasons.

Bodomism

Banned
That's just because it's a Nintendo exclusive game, they're the kings of never cutting prices.

BOTW has many arguments you could use to put it over MGS V, but to make your main point about price drops just exposes your IQ.
Full Price point after 3 years from the release date is a valid point.

Zelda BOTW has sold over 20M without official price drop and bundled on smaller userbase consoles than MGSV.

While MGSV was in a bargain bin right after a few months from the released date on the market and only sold around 7 million copies despite price drop and promotions.

BOTW great words of mouth is the main reason why the game is consistently selling every year at the full price even after 3 years on the market.

Hugare

Lol this poll is evil. How am I gonna choose between those two.

I think the only input I can give is that not everyone likes stealth focused gameplay.

Then you would have to carry a multitude type of weapons, like always, like in other games.

They are trying different things with solid reasons.
So? It would be better than carrying 12 "rusty swords" that would break in 5 strikes, and avoid using your best equipment in fear of breaking them

Imagine this: you encounter a camp with different monsters, one requiring a fire rod, other requiring a bow, other a boomerang and etc.

Each enemy requiring a different strategy, but all of them attacking you at the same time. So you juggle between different weapons, combine them and etc., while avoid being hit and etc.

That would be WAY more cool. I know it because I've played it in games such as Devil May Cry and other action games.

Imagine a combat system like that in an open world game. Now that would be great.

The closest we had to something like this in an open world game was in Arkham Knight, where you couldnt just spam the square button to win, with different enemies requiring different gadgets and tactics. But it was still flawed, and would be just perfect in a Zelda game.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
I'm not gonna call ya dumb but i also don't think the pricing between the two games reveals much.
As i stated above, i didn't want to repeat what many people (including me) already said in this and the other polls rather than bring up something new. The price dropped notably/unusually fast compared to other console games, same goes for the (never sold out) Collectors Edition. I don't know the exact sales figures, but i doubt that it's much more than 5 million on 5 systems vs. almost 20 million on 1 system. It seems people didn't like it that much even though ratings were great.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Two great games but my vote goes to MGSV.

For all the flack it gets it still hasn't been topped in it's gameplay and open ended mission design.

The story albeit mediocre compared to other MGS titles is still a more compelling narrative than what BOTW conjures up, with amazing cinematography and flair throughout, where as BOTW is loads of uninteresting cutscenes which drag and don't add a lot to the branching storyline.

The only game that has come close to MGSV's open ended design is BOTW itself, but I just think MGSV is a far more polished title gameplay wise and is a game I have put more than 400 hours into despite it's shortcomings, BOTW is a game I have put around 150 hours into but lacks that total replay-ability that MGS V does for me.

Both more deserving semi finalists than RDR2 though so I am happy with whoever wins.

As i stated above, i didn't want to repeat what many people (including me) already said in this and the other polls rather than bring up something new. The price dropped notably/unusually fast compared to other console games, same goes for the (never sold out) Collectors Edition. I don't know the exact sales figures, but i doubt that it's much higher than 5 million on 5 systems vs. almost 20 million on 1 system. It seems people didn't like it that much even though ratings were great.

BOTW was only on 1 system?

DonJorginho

Banned
BOTW was only on 1 system?
You or OP are forgetting someone (too tired to figure out who).
fuck-u-wii-u_o_1179670.jpg

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
So? It would be better than carrying 12 "rusty swords" that would break in 5 strikes, and avoid using your best equipment in fear of breaking them

Imagine this: you encounter a camp with different monsters, one requiring a fire rod, other requiring a bow, other a boomerang and etc.

Each enemy requiring a different strategy, but all of them attacking you at the same time. So you juggle between different weapons, combine them and etc., while avoid being hit and etc.
Like I said, what you describe would only resulted to it being a different game, that I even I don't find it that interesting. What will happen would be you hoarding up multiple kinds of weapons just to prepare for everything, and future gears would also be limited in terms of usability.

Still, I just wanna stress out that have no fear on losing my gears lol, the only time I wouldn't use my best gears is when the enemies are too weak where the loot sucks, and sorry you just wouldn't ever happen to have a 12 rusty swords at the same time, 30 mins in from intro cav and I would already have at least 3-5 medium weapons in hand.

Loot quality is in tandem with the amount of enemies killed in total so avoiding them is actually detrimental to progress.

The game does have strategy, types of weapons used do matter in the game but only in percentage, i.e. x1.2 lance atk for certain enemies, with elementals and special attributes considered. Different weapons have different reach and stuns, bows have different calculations altogether (crit, ele, x2/x3 shots).

Just imagine doing camps like having a time attack mode every time. You can absolutely spam basic attacks like noobs to defeat enemies (until you ran out of weapons), or you consider your positioning and weather, skills (that sheikah magic), range atk, dodge and flurry, reflect.

If you do it right you could demolish a camp in minutes even in high level place while only losing 2/3 of your weapon's durabilities but also gaining 2-3 more weapons, all usable weapons plus loots.

Good players works that way, instead of wasting time playing it like in any other games. It's just different.

Sultan711

Neo Member
I didn’t have time to play botw, but phantom pain’s gameplay was just heavenly one of the best I’ve ever played

turtlepowa

Banned
There is a reason, yes, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the game(s).
I know that all Nintendo first party games are price stable, but Zelda is even for Nintendo standards top tier with 50 bucks after >3,5 years while MG dropped super fast compared to other 3rd party games. That's why i mentioned it. The gameplay was excellent, no question, but the story was just bad and the game gets boring and repetetive very fast. Those are the main reasons why i voted for Zelda.

Arachnid

Well that's a stupid reasoning, MGSV is a Playstation game, and the Witcher is multiplatform. Playstation fans voting for a Nintendo exclusive is like betraying their own platform, and therefore NOT a true Sony fanboy.
MGSV is a PlayStation game?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Zelda. Played it twice because my kid wanted to see it. Enjoyed it more the second time. Yes the weapon management it BS, but it is forgivable. MGSV was cool for a couple of weeks but fell apart at the end. Still one of the best experiences this gen.

Top Bottom