• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild vs. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 442 58.3%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 316 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BOTW isn't even in the top 20 of best combat systems lmao.
The physics are cool but the actual melee combat is godawful. It's all wrong. Super bad animations, super amateurish hitstun with enemies spazzing repeatedly when hit, Link's attack animations are robotic as fuck, the flurry rush is about 900 times less satisfying than say a Mikiri counter in Sekiro and some enemies are just annoying to fight against.
And don't get me started on the completely disjointed and awfully told "story".
It's been shown time and time and time and again how having a great combat system in place isn't the only thing that people give a shit about. 10 years down the road, looking back at BoTW, people aren't gonna talk about hit stuns and flurry rushes, they'll be talking about how you can creatively solve all these puzzles and combat encounters in other ways than a straightforward approach. How it's exploration was both fresh feeling and dynamic in it's execution. How you are almost exclusively limited by your imagination to accomplish any of your goals.

It's the same reason Witcher 3 won against Bloodborne. It's got a great story, with great music, and stellar graphics. Combat was just ok(even though I loved it). But people remember it most for it's great storylines and incredible music. Which I'd say is a far better thing to be remembered by than, "O, but the parry windows are sharp and I loved killing the bosses." That same scenario can be had in a million other games. But you can't say that all games have a fantastic story with memorable characters.

I look back at MGSV and really the only thing I can remember about the game besides it feeling like a disjointed, cobbled together mess, was the amount of precise control you have over Boss. Not the characters, not the story, not the scenarios you can get in, just that Boss has some great control options. That's all that's memorable to me about that game.

Videogames are more than just the sum of it's parts. If you have a great combat system that is just mind blowingly fun, but no compelling reason to use it, then who gives a shit?!?!

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The physics are cool but the actual melee combat is godawful. It's all wrong. Super bad animations, super amateurish hitstun with enemies spazzing repeatedly when hit, Link's attack animations are robotic as fuck, the flurry rush is about 900 times less satisfying than say a Mikiri counter in Sekiro and some enemies are just annoying to fight against.

W R O N G
R
O
N
G

#Phonepunk#

Banned
voted MGSV. still insanely underrated, from the looks of things.

also the story in it is amazing. it's sad people are still running with ignorant takes. no, it was never supposed to be 5 chapters long, that's a reddit rumor that was debunked before the game came out. yet the narrative remains.

tbh i have played over 1,000 hours of that game. i still pop in from time to time to do FOB missions. lol i remember when people were clutching pearls over that mode. MGSV really showed a lot of gamers to be entitled morons.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
It's been shown time and time and time and again how having a great combat system in place isn't the only thing that people give a shit about. 10 years down the road, looking back at BoTW, people aren't gonna talk about hit stuns and flurry rushes, they'll be talking about how you can creatively solve all these puzzles and combat encounters in other ways than a straightforward approach.

It's the same reason Witcher 3 won against Bloodborne. It's got a great story, with great music, and stellar graphics. Combat was just ok(even though I loved it). But people remember it most for it's great storylines and incredible music. Which I'd say is a far better thing to be remembered by than, "O, but the parry windows are sharp and I loved killing the bosses." That same scenario can be had in a million other games. But you can't say that all games have a fantastic story with memorable characters.

I look back at MGSV and really the only thing I can remember about the game besides it feeling like a disjointed, cobbled together mess, was the amount of precise control you have over Boss. Not the characters, not the story, not the scenarios you can get in, just that Boss has some great control options. That's all that's memorable to me about that game.

Videogames are more than just the some of it's parts. If you have a great combat system that is just mind blowingly fun, but no compelling reason to use it, then who gives a shit?!?!
I appreciate Witcher too for its story and stuff like that.
But here's the thing you don't get. While the story is important, gameplay is more important. It stands above the story.
First they have to nail the gameplay, then tell the story, not the other fucking way around.
Plus, BOTW doesn't even have a good story. Memorable characters, oh yes for sure, but story and gameplay? Eh, you're not gonna convince me.
I gave the game 5 chances. The enjoyment wore off every time.

I appreciate Witcher too for its story and stuff like that.
But here's the thing you don't get. While the story is important, gameplay is more important. It stands above the story.
First they have to nail the gameplay, then tell the story, not the other fucking way around.
Plus, BOTW doesn't even have a good story. Memorable characters, oh yes for sure, but story and gameplay? Eh, you're not gonna convince me.
I gave the game 5 chances. The enjoyment wore off every time.
I agree that BotW had a throwaway story. Hell, with a few exceptions, almost ALL Zelda games have a throwaway story IMO. Just to me, about everything else felt so good with BotW. I liked the combat, and the many different variations of scenarios you could find yourself in. The music when you got your horse going was always amazing. I loved the cell shaded graphics and felt it utilized the power of the Wii U to deliver something compelling looking while avoiding competition with some of the bigger open world games. And really, Breath of the Wild excels at exploration and discovery. It felt natural and flowed super well. Really felt like I was going on an adventure.

While contrast to MGSV. I'm waiting for bars to fill so I can get the weapons/gadgets I want while doing repetitive missions and then when the story missions finally start going, the game stops and has no ending. So MGSV doesn't do the things well that it as a series has knocked out of the park in the past. One step forward and 4 steps back.

And I disagree. Story and Gameplay go hand in hand. UNLESS you aren't playing a game with a story. It's fine that Rocket League and Madden and those games don't have a story as they are sold on the backs of sports.

But if you give me a great combat system with no compelling reason to use it, it doesn't matter that you had a great combat system. I'd say you could make the argument the other way too, if you have a great story but the game is an absolute chore to play, then I probably won't play it either. I don't think they are mutually exclusive and think a good game should ideally have both.

Last edited:
The story in BOTW is really underrated. The plot itself isn't much to write home about, but thematically it's very nice. If you look at it from the perspective of Zelda being the protagonist and not Link, it's a cool story about sacrifice, failure and bittersweet redemption. Nothing amazing, but it feels nice when you get to the end.

Kokoloko85

I voted the wrong one but doesnt make much difference at this point.
I love both But MGSV is top 3 of the generation for me

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
What are you talking about, where did I say it's top 20? I'm sorry that you don't like BotW, but arguments like "it has super amateurish hitstun" and "some enemies are annoying to fight against" ain't exactly gonna convice a lot of people to dislike Zelda.

LarknThe4th

I chose BOTW

It is the game of this generation, love it or hate it, the energy it captured upon its release and how it rejuvenated a 30 plus year franchise is simply stunning

MGS 5 tried the same things(reinventing a tried and tested formula with a historic series) and it gets halfway there, but its flaws are more prevalent and obvious

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I chose BOTW

It is the game of this generation, love it or hate it, the energy it captured upon its release and how it rejuvenated a 30 plus year franchise is simply stunning

MGS 5 tried the same things(reinventing a tried and tested formula with a historic series) and it gets halfway there, but its flaws are more prevalent and obvious
Both games were clearly influenced by Skyrim. Which is the game of the decade.

I'm not Todd Howard.

Orta

Banned
Reading this thread I've come to the conclusion BOTW is the worst game EVER!!!

Am going to snap my copy in half when I get home tonight.

regawdless

Banned
Wow this is a bad matchup for me. Don't like both. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

MGS V
I hated that intro so much. Took me 6 attempts to make it through it. That slow ass crawling, repetitive cutscenes and encounters, badly written, bad pacing.... It felt like fucking Kojima sitting besides me, all the time whispering into my ear:
"Do you see how great I am? Look, that's a fire dude! Isn't that just crazy? This is so filmic, look how I repeat that scene three times! I'm so deep."
Urgh, the thought enduring one more second of his pretentious writing and direction made me delete that game after the intro.
For reference, I enjoyed the first three main MGS games a lot. Then 4 took it too far into complete bonkers town, I stopped like 70% in because my brain melted.
Maybe my tolerance for his kind of direction just decreased over the years.

BotW
After selling my Switch, played one hour of it at one of my friends Switch. Kinda felt like an empty tech demo. Didn't grab me at all. At least it was inoffensive. Especially compared to the MGS V clusterfuck.

So yeah, I think BotW is the slightly less bad game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The fact this entry into Zelda got this far shows just how much Nintendo games are praised on faith alone. I fucking hated this thing. "blah blah blah change is inevitable" yeah well I lived through the change from 2D to 3D Zelda and I was blown away when I loaded up Ocarina, this... this I loaded it up and within the first hour just thought they had made an Ubisoft game, then my weapon broke.

Metal Gear V outside of a poor start and it getting rushed before the end, it is simply a superior sandbox experience in terms of design, content and AI. I can fault its ending but you can't fault "the game" something that I put far more importance to these days... you can't even say Zelda has a better story because there is so little of it.

(burning grass was done by Farcry 2 in 2008, please stop masterbating over this already thanks)

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

The story in BOTW is really underrated. The plot itself isn't much to write home about, but thematically it's very nice. If you look at it from the perspective of Zelda being the protagonist and not Link, it's a cool story about sacrifice, failure and bittersweet redemption. Nothing amazing, but it feels nice when you get to the end.
The environmental storytelling in BOTW is top tier. So much mystery and little clues to what happened and the general history of Hyrule and it's surroundings.
I will never forget the first time I paraglided off the northern edge of the Gerudo Highlands and saw THAT massive monument.
I think it's a sad indictment of the modern audience's imagination that they need every beat of a story spoon-fed to them in large print writing.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

BOTW is the best 3D Zelda game, I still think a LTTP is the best Zelda of all time, but there are very few games that compare to the entire experience of BOTW. There are very few times in gaming I have felt the shear dread and sense of adventure when I got off the plateau and had the whole of the world to explore. I do want the next one to have some real honest to goodness dungeons.

Last edited:

Enzo88

The fact this entry into Zelda got this far shows just how much Nintendo games are praised on faith alone. I fucking hated this thing. "blah blah blah change is inevitable" yeah well I lived through the change from 2D to 3D Zelda and I was blown away when I loaded up Ocarina, this... this I loaded it up and within the first hour just thought they had made an Ubisoft game, then my weapon broke.

Metal Gear V outside of a poor start and it getting rushed before the end, it is simply a superior sandbox experience in terms of design, content and AI. I can fault its ending but you can't fault "the game" something that I put far more importance to these days... you can't even say Zelda has a better story because there is so little of it.

(burning grass was done by Farcry 2 in 2008, please stop masterbating over this already thanks)
Botw represents exactly the opposite philosophy of any Ubisoft template, but sure, whatever you see XD

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

Reading this thread I've come to the conclusion BOTW is the worst game EVER!!!

Am going to snap my copy in half when I get home tonight.
Indeed, it is telling people are spending more time taking BOTW down than they are making a case for MGS

They are in this competition for a reason, no game in these votes are bad, in fact they are all very good

BOTW has made some folks catch feelings, it's tough to be top of the mountain I guess

LarknThe4th

Man, Fox Engine is still so good. In terms of realistic graphics, I feel like we could have just stopped there.
Indeed, this gen to me is enough really, then devs could use all that horsepower overhead to fuel destructive environments, incredibly bespoke NPC character interactions, Advanced A.I simulation, elaborate physics and far more in dept VR

We wont get it though

Last edited:

nordique

As both a huge Zelda and a huge MGS fan, this is like comparing Game of the Generation to Disappointment of the Generation

MGS5 was so good and yet so incomplete. Its such a shame we will never get Kojima's full fledged intended cinematic version which could have quite possibly been one of the greatest games of all time. Similar to its name sake, it is certainly the phantom pain of the MGS franchise.

On the other hand, you have it up against the eternal greatness of Zelda and possibly the best Zelda game ever. Its not really a fair comparison but I understand its part of the voting process.

We are all certainly free to have our opinions here but Zelda should be firmly ahead in this vote. That it is not, is a shame. It is a lot closer than it should be.

Last edited:
Its surprising to see botw winning, didnt know people liked that much just to walk/fly trough boring green empty landscapes and let their weapons break

hollow-brainlet-wojak-mens-premium-t-shirt.jpg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
MGSV would have been the better game had Konami given Kojima another big delay.

But BotW was a finished game, so that probably deserves it.

Top Bottom