• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild vs. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 442 58.3%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 316 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

recursive

tenor.gif

tumblr_mmizbjl6Kv1s200lko1_250.gif
You were checkmated 3 pages ago. Just take the L and move on bud. Not worth it.

iconmaster

Banned
what you mean VS ? its with not vs . with. play all games. those both are masterpieces. if choose just one you will loose a lot .

I've been puzzling over this and I think I've got it. Not trying to pick on you S scalman , but it's like a thorn in my brain I need to get out.

"What do you mean 'versus'? It's with, not versus. Play all kinds of games! These two are both masterpieces. If you only worry about choosing the 'winning' game, you'll miss out on some great experiences."

To which I answer: of course, yes. But we're having a tournament here. :)

Also lol at that "all real time", the gif you posted are not nearly as unbelievable as you think they are, nobody was even doubting that they were real time :ROFLMAO:

Name one game that allows more creative ways to exploit its physics engine, one game that allows for bigger player expression. The best you can probably come up with is Hitman and I still think BOTW has more ways to go nuts with the enemies. Keep in mind that calling the total freedom that BOTW allows for when it comes to enemy encounters as "gimmicks" makes me not want to have this conversation, but I'm legit curious.

GymWolf

Name one game that allows more creative ways to exploit its physics engine, one game that allows for bigger player expression. The best you can probably come up with is Hitman and I still think BOTW has more ways to go nuts with the enemies. Keep in mind that calling the total freedom that BOTW allows for when it comes to enemy encounters as "gimmicks" makes me not want to have this conversation, but I'm legit curious.
Dude you posted a gif of a gimmick with a chicken that nothing had to do with physics and an explosive barrel exploding, the third move is cool i give you that, but like all the majority of stuff in zelda they are gimmicks, you dont do this every time you fight a robot, exactly like you don't use the magnet to let a piece of metal falling into enemies's heads or throwing a metal weapon to enemies during a lightstorm, they are little cute gimmicks that you maybe use 1-2 times before returning to the vast more practical and ultra simple base combat.

It's the same as creating a flying raft with those ballons you find in the world to climb a venomous tower, you maybe try the first time before realising that just regular climbing with jugging health and stamina potions from a menu is better and faster.

I love physics in games but in zelda i always feel like the physics is mostly gimmicky almost every time and not a viable alternative to a more regualar gamey style.

I was just laughing at the thought of people needing to know that the gifs were real time, they are really not that impressive dude.

BotW absolutely killed any momentum I had built in the first 3 hours of Horizon: Zero Dawn that I literally couldn't play it anymore because I couldn't do half the shit I wanted in my head that I could in BoTW.

I still think Witcher 3 is the greatest game this generation produced. But I'd put BoTW a very close and strong number 2. I wouldn't be mad at either getting title of the generation.

Dude you posted a gif of a gimmick with a chicken that nothing had to do with physics and an explosive barrel exploding, the third move is cool i give you that, but like all the majority of stuff in zelda they are gimmicks, you dont do this every time you fight a robot, exactly like you don't use the magnet to let a piece of metal falling into enemies's heads or throwing a metal weapon to enemies during a lightstorm, they are little cute gimmicks that you maybe use 1-2 times before returning to the vast more practical and ultra simple base combat.

It's the same as creating a flying raft with those ballons you find in the world to climb a venomous tower, you maybe try the first time before realising that just regular climbing with jugging health and stamina potions from a menu is better and faster.

I love physics in games but in zelda i always feel like the physics is mostly gimmicky almost every time and not a viable alternative to a more regualar gamey style.

I was just laughing at the thought of people needing to know that the gifs were real time, they are really not that impressive dude.

I'd love to see some MGSV gif's that top those Breath of the Wild ones if you have them handy?

Last edited:

Ok. Name a game that allows for more unscripted player expression. Name another game with the "gimmick with a chicken" as you call it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm just glad that people chose two games that were made to be fun first and foremost.
MGSV yes, Zelda is not made to be fun. It's made to make you feel miserable. Everything about it is fucking tedious.

- Cant call your fucking horse if its literally not next to you forcing you to travel vast distances on foot.
- Rain that starts just when you start climbing mountains making you lose your grip and run out of stamina.
- Weapons that break all the time taking all the fun out of combat.
- Awful inventory system that makes gameplay a fucking chore.
- Awful upgrade system that has you tediously collecting lizards and shit instead of just playing the game and getting stuff organically.
- Forcing you to cook for what feels like hours just to get health and forcing you to change clothes every time you go to a different environment.

I dont think ive played a game that went out of its way to make itself less fun.

bender

What time is it?
MGSV yes, Zelda is not made to be fun. It's made to make you feel miserable. Everything about it is fucking tedious.

- Cant call your fucking horse if its literally not next to you forcing you to travel vast distances on foot.
- Rain that starts just when you start climbing mountains making you lose your grip and run out of stamina.
- Awful upgrade system that has you tediously collecting lizards and shit instead of just playing the game and getting stuff organically.
- Forcing you to cook for what feels like hours just to get health and forcing you to change clothes every time you go to a different environment.

I dont think ive played a game that went out of its way to make itself less fun.

1513.gif

Zelda fans were so infantilized by the N64 and the Gamecube that they forgot what a dangerous overworld felt like. The only "difficulty" in most Zelda games is a few of the puzzles.

GymWolf

BotW absolutely killed any momentum I had built in the first 3 hours of Horizon: Zero Dawn that I literally couldn't play it anymore because I couldn't do half the shit I wanted in my head that I could in BoTW.

I still think Witcher 3 is the greatest game this generation produced. But I'd put BoTW a very close and strong number 2. I wouldn't be mad at either getting title of the generation.

I'd love to see some MGSV gif's that top those Breath of the Wild ones if you have them handy?
mgs5 has indeed very little use of physics involved, zelda crush the kojima game in that aspect, but you can do all sort of crazy shit in mgs5 dude, it's not really a game that lacks gameplay options or just crazy stuff to do.

search creative tactics or crazy stuff for mgs5 on yt if you don't believe me (or just play the game)

Last edited:
mgs5 has indeed very little use of physics involved, zelda crush the kojima game in that aspect, but you can do all sort of crazy shit in mgs5 dude, it's not really a game that lacks gameplay options or just crazy stuff to do.

search creative tactics or crazy stuff for mgs5 on yt if you don't believe me (or just play the game)
I've done both. I've been a MGS fan for over 25 years. I got my first Playstation TO play MGS. I'd wager I've been with the series longer than most. I think MGSV is a fun game to play for the most part. The amount of control you have over Boss is almost unparalleled. I wish more 3rd person action games had as much fine control(looking at you Ghost Recon). But as a long time fan, the story was fucking garbage and then the game makes you repeat the same missions over and over half way through and it just became tedious. I'm a huge huge HUGE MGS fan. And I still think BoTW is the better game

bender

What time is it?
From a narrative and performance perspective, MGSV is a bummer but I never got tired of the moment-to-moment game play. The sandbox allows for so much creativity that I still boot it up from time to time. Hell, I even bought and finished Metal Gear Survive so I could experience that engine again.

GymWolf

Ok. Name a game that allows for more unscripted player expression. Name another game with the "gimmick with a chicken" as you call it.
Dude, the game can have a billion of these gimmicks but the game is tailored towards a more gamey classic approach, why the hell do i have to use these creative methods when the classic method is almost all the times more faster and reliable??

i already make some examples, you can throw a metallic weapon to an enemy during a thunderstom to kill him, but it's far more practical to just bash the enemy with a sword, yes you can stop-time a boulder with the time thingy and try to make the enemy go towards the exact point where the boulder is gonna fly to kill him, but why? i don't believe for a single moment that you used all this stuff instead of your weapon 95% of the times.

the enemies are mostly retarded and easy to fuck up except the lynels (until you find the rythm for the counter, then they become piss easy), so you are really not forced to think outside of the box.

bloody hell i have to do more creative thinking in the damn shadow of war when i have to kill a captain with a lot of resistances and i have to use a mix of enviromental traps, beasts and other orcs under my command to fuck em up because they counter every move i do.

why do i have to search for a creative method to climb a tower with venom when i can just drink health and stamina potions from a menu and just climb the damn thing?

the game is not balanced in a way where the craeative method is actually more smart or faster to deal with things.

you are never in front of a situation when smart thinking and use of physics is actually better than what you already do in the majority of other games.

and yeah the chicken thing really is a gimmick, is the equivalent of any game with an object or equip or skill or pet where enemies get damaged by attacking you, in zelda is just represented in a more colorfull and funny way, i even liked that thing, but it remain a gimmick.

maybe i played the game with the wrong mentality, who knows.

I plan to continue my run with botw or just start a new one with a more open mentality pretty soon, probably the only reason why i didn't already sold my switch.

Last edited:

Terenty

But as a long time fan, the story was fucking garbage and then the game makes you repeat the same missions over and over half way through
Ok either my memory is really bad or you don't really have to replay the same missions over and over? I can't remember having to redo the same missions from the first chapter in the second one. All you had to do to progress was to complete a few side quests and the missions marked with golden letters that's all?

GymWolf

I've done both. I've been a MGS fan for over 25 years. I got my first Playstation TO play MGS. I'd wager I've been with the series longer than most. I think MGSV is a fun game to play for the most part. The amount of control you have over Boss is almost unparalleled. I wish more 3rd person action games had as much fine control(looking at you Ghost Recon). But as a long time fan, the story was fucking garbage and then the game makes you repeat the same missions over and over half way through and it just became tedious. I'm a huge huge HUGE MGS fan. And I still think BoTW is the better game
don't get me wrong, i'm like you, huge fan of the saga (mgs1 is my favourite game ever) and really bummed by mgs5 for not being a classic mgs game (even if the gameplay is better than any previous iteration by a country mile) and i'm not even saying that mgs5 is better than zelda here, to me they are both 7-8 out of 10 games, one fails in being a mgs, the other fails in being a good zelda with trash dungeons, breakable equipment and ridicolous boss fights.

i'm just more mad with zelda because i specifically bought a switch for that game so my disappointement was even greater :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
don't get me wrong, i'm like you, huge fan of the saga (mgs1 is my favourite game ever) and really bummed by mgs5 for not being a classic mgs game (even if the gameplay is better than any previous iteration by a country mile) and i'm not even saying that mgs5 is better than zelda here, to me they are both 7-8 out of 10 games, one fails in being a mgs, the other fails in being a good zelda with trash dungeons, breakable equipment and ridicolous boss fights.

i'm just more mad with zelda because i specifically bought a switch for that game so my disappointement was even greater :ROFLMAO:

I voted Zelda, doesn’t even really seem like a contest this one... BOTW has some maddening mechanics, but it’s a truly epic game.

Ok either my memory is really bad or you don't really have to replay the same missions over and over? I can't remember having to redo the same missions from the first chapter in the second one. All you had to do to progress was to complete a few side quests and the missions marked with golden letters that's all?

I too could be misremembering but I could have sworn you literally have to do the same missions again in the second half of the game. Like the side missions too, not even the fun story/campaign ones.

Lol, that's a bummer. I bought a Wii U AGAIN(previous one burned up in a house fire) to play it as Switch's were sold out. Bought it on Wii U. Beat it, bought a switch and the game AGAIN and beat it two more times and now have only replayed it on PC via Dolphin as it mitigates a lot of the problems I had with BoTW(Fixed the weapon degradation) and playing it at 60+fps maxed out is gorgeous on PC. Hooking up my Switch Pro-Controller to my PC and then playing BotW at 3440x1440 60+fps is gaming nirvana.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I too could be misremembering but I could have sworn you literally have to do the same missions again in the second half of the game. Like the side missions too, not even the fun story/campaign ones.

Lol, that's a bummer. I bought a Wii U AGAIN(previous one burned up in a house fire) to play it as Switch's were sold out. Bought it on Wii U. Beat it, bought a switch and the game AGAIN and beat it two more times and now have only replayed it on PC via Dolphin as it mitigates a lot of the problems I had with BoTW(Fixed the weapon degradation) and playing it at 60+fps maxed out is gorgeous on PC. Hooking up my Switch Pro-Controller to my PC and then playing BotW at 3440x1440 60+fps is gaming nirvana.
look, i'm usually against the narrative about buying a console for one game only because in the 99% of the cases you are gonna buy other games for that console.

but believe me, i really bought a switch almost solely for zelda and metroid because i literally don't give a fuck about other nintendo games, at least i can say that i played zelda, metroid is an even more maddening situation :ROFLMAO:

i'm far too noob to install and make dolphin work:ROFLMAO:

The first Metal Gear I couldn't finish, just didnt do it for me. Breath of the Wild all day.

What no Last of Us Part 2 ;)

Last edited:
look, i'm usually against the narrative about buying a console for one game only because in the 99% of the cases you are gonna buy other games for that console.

but believe me, i really bought a switch almost solely for zelda and metroid because i literally don't give a fuck about other nintendo games, at least i can say that i played zelda, metroid is an even more maddening situation :ROFLMAO:

Hey, I empathisze with ya. I'd be disappointed too if I bought a console for a game and hated the game. If you care about Dolphin though(I'm by no means an expert), it's actually rather easy to do, if not a bit annoying. But it's not hard in the slightest. As long as you have decent hardware.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned

What about Mario Odyssey, disliked that too?

GymWolf

What about Mario Odyssey, disliked that too?
Not even played that one, i'm not into platform games anymore.
I played astral chain and it was ok, and then xeno 2 but i hated the combat and some design chooices.
I kinda wanna try monster hunter ryse but i don't know how i feel about the 30 frame for a monster hunter game.

Can anyone post the numbers?
385 BotW vs. 275 MGSV

Not even played that one, i'm not into platform games anymore.
I played astral chain and it was ok, and then xeno 2 but i hated the combat and some design chooices.
I kinda wanna try monster hunter ryse but i don't know how i feel about the 30 frame for a monster hunter game.

Yeah...that's a tough one. It's really hard to go back to 30fps. I don't even think I could go back and play BotW on my Switch if I wanted to after playing it on PC.

Last edited:

GymWolf

385 BotW vs. 275 MGSV

Yeah...that's a tough one. It's really hard to go back to 30fps. I don't even think I could go back and play BotW on my Switch if I wanted to after playing it on PC.
I hated so much the 30 frames on ps4 for world that i bought the pc version too :ROFLMAO:

I love MGSV. It's a Top 5 game of the generation for me. But I have to go with BotW. It's Top 3.

MGSV, great as it is, was another in a long line of open-world games that simply didn't justify its open-world design. Had the game been a series of mini-sandboxes rather than one interconnected world, it would have made a negligible difference.

BotW was a necessary game, both for the series and for open-world design. It's not my overall GOTG or my favorite Zelda, because it has a lot of flaws, but its high points are extremely high. If future games build off of this foundation while also having good dungeons and boss fights and a more engaging story, there's little doubt in my mind that they'll be able to take the series to new heights.

Last edited:
Dude, the game can have a billion of these gimmicks but the game is tailored towards a more gamey classic approach, why the hell do i have to use these creative methods when the classic method is almost all the times more faster and reliable??

Because you can, that's the point. The "classic" method leads to people getting flustered at weapons breaking. It's like people complaining about difficulty in the Souls games, it misses the point and you're not playing the game like the devs wanted you to. You're supposed to fuck around with the game, its wide open design really applies to everything and almost anything you can think of can be actually done.

You laughed when I mentioned those gifs were in real time and not scripted, but I'm still waiting for any example of a game that allows for more creative, expressive gameplay. Let me save you the work. There isn't. BOTW is Lateral Thinking: The Game. Let me give you an example. There's a shrine with a motion puzzle where you have to lead the ball through a maze. You can do that OR you can flip the maze upside down and fucking KICK the ball where it's supposed to go using the back part of the board. There's so, SO many examples of that and it is pretty impressive how much you can abuse the game.

You CAN also ignore all of that and just play the game like it's fucking Horizon Zero Dawn or some lesser shit like that. It won't be as satisfying, but it can be done. That's the thing, you're in complete control. You have one mission in the game, defeat Ganon. How you achieve that is completely up to you. That in itself is impressive, but the most impressive thing is that the same philosophy was applied to pretty much any other objective you have in the game. You can brute force it, micromanage it obsessively, style it, glitch it, anything really. It's an immersive sim set in an open world where you can really go anywhere. It's peerless.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Combat systems is not good or bad based on the number of attacks a character has or how flashy it looks, it's how satsifying it is to defeat enemies. Zelda is simple but the dodge and attack work well and it's satisfying to fight through the entire game. The absolutely mad level of physics and flexibility in the combat does a lot.
BOTW isn't even in the top 20 of best combat systems lmao.
The physics are cool but the actual melee combat is godawful. It's all wrong. Super bad animations, super amateurish hitstun with enemies spazzing repeatedly when hit, Link's attack animations are robotic as fuck, the flurry rush is about 900 times less satisfying than say a Mikiri counter in Sekiro and some enemies are just annoying to fight against.
And don't get me started on the completely disjointed and awfully told "story".

Top Bottom