• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild vs. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 442 58.3%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 316 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nice spergout. I accept your concession clown.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

tumblr_mmizbjl6Kv1s200lko1_250.gif

You should have taken that advice yourself before venturing into the rabbit hole of stupidity that is arguing that "Metal Gear Solid games are synonymous to Playstation more than anything else" and then trying to insult knowledgeable posters who call you out for arguing inane bollocks.

You mean the dispute that proved me right?

Humdinger

I'm playing through Zelda right now and having a really good time. It's the best game I've played in years. The open-world exploration is wonderful, the combat is fun, the art style is great. I really appreciate the light touch, the humorous elements, and how much creative thought went into the game. The puzzles annoy me sometimes, but that's my only gripe. Like I said, it's the best game I've played in years.

I tried MGS V but couldn't get into it. That's been my experience with all of Kojima's games. I try, but they just don't hook me.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I think both of these games are very flawed and there are far more games that deserve this high of a spot in the competition, but here are my thoughts.

I played MGSV back around release, and only recently played BotW (and my first Zelda game not counting playing the original as a kid a small amount).

BotW exploration never really felt rewarding to me. All the loot was too expendable and run of the mill to be excited about. Too many of the same enemies in different colors. I hated the weapons breaking. Final boss was a joke, and the shrines were extremely repetitive when they should have been more "in the world".

MGSV had excellent gameplay, dragged down by a pretty bland world, repetitive mission design, lack of direction, terrible story and implementation of the story. I remember much more of the previous MGS games compared to this one and that says a lot.

Despite their flaws, I still enjoyed both overall. Decided to vote for BotW, as it was less disappointing to me.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It punched above its weight to even reach this far. MGS V is a damn fine game, warts and all. Rest easy Big Boss, you did good.

41276781ee0a8544f1669e1885340ccb.gif

Remember that time we reached Afghanistan and this started playing:

So much soul. Based Kojigod
hhh.png

GET BACK SOON MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima

Personally, I think it's at almost the exact correct rating. It's one of the best games of this gen for me, easily. And I think it's way better than Witcher 3.

BUT, it's not better than BotW - which is probably going to wind up in 1st place, justifiably.

Kuramu

BotW took over my life for 6 months, in a way no game had even when i was a child.... i never expected that could happen.
( my 2cents breaking weapons is what made discovering weapons such a reward. Look back to All Zeldas before when finding rupees was a letdown because you already had too many)

I can honestly say MGSV was better overall. As flawed and hollow as the story-mode was, the mechanics are the best in the series and (in the bases that are scattered across those awful, barren levels) they are put to better use than in MGS3. It feels like what MGS4 tried to be and like what Peace Walker wanted to be.

And FOBs were one of the most addictive multiplayer systems I have ever been involved in, and really the only one I have enjoyed. I got in a little late so I didn't get super involved in it, but just defending FOBs is one of the most tactically satisfying gaming experiences I have had. There is nothing more satisfying that letting someone almost get to the goal door and detonating a C4 trap, or going full Police Girl and taking them down with an antimaterial rifle as soon as they enter a chokepoint. The high-level weapons were incredible too.

MGSV is what happens when you have a lot of ideas and no real way of putting them together in a cohesive way.

BotW was a huge change of pace and I loved it even though it is not even in my top 3 of the series.

Zelda for the win.

Tschumi

i think it should be pointed out that MGSV has a robust and thorough multiplayer system - novel too - which is still very popular to this day.

Bragr

Banned
Not sure if any game can top Breath of the Wild, maybe Witcher 3.

If Metal Gear didn't have that absolutely terrible end-game and a bit more variety in the missions and landscapes it would have had a better chance. Too many missions that involve sneaking into a military camp over and over. Some issues with the base building and odd patches where the story seemed missing hold it back too, but man that game plays so well.

GymWolf

A game where you can do this:

BestFrequentHyracotherium-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_o8sbnhemyg1qzp9weo1_r3_1280.gif

giphy.gif

All in real time mind you, shit's not scripted. Plus so, SO many other ways to abuse the physics engine. I do wonder if a lot of the complaints about weapons breaking come from uncreative people trying mash to win.
Gimmicks doesn't make the ultra basic combat in zelda any better.

Also lol at that "all real time", the gif you posted are not nearly as unbelievable as you think they are, nobody was even doubting that they were real time :ROFLMAO:

A gimmick with a chicken, a demonstration of how retarded and suicidal are the enemies in that game and a nice trick that you barely use because it's far more easier shielding the laser at the right time to fuck the robots with 1-2 hits in a quarter of the time.

I guess we can say he has good combat among the zelda games but the bar in these games is pretty low to begin with.
Even stuff like darksiders 1 crush zelda botw combat, and don't even let me start with darksiders 2 combat...

Bragr

Banned
Gimmicks doesn't make the ultra basic combat in zelda any better.

Also lol at that "all real time", the gif you posted are not nearly as unbelievable as you think they are, nobody was even doubting that they were real time :ROFLMAO:

A gimmick with a chicken, a demonstration of how retarded and suicidal are the enemies in that game and a nice trick that you barely use because it's far more easier shielding the laser at the right time to fuck the robots with 1-2 hits in a quarter of the time.

I guess we can say he has good combat among the zelda games but the bar in these games is pretty low to begin with.
Even stuff like darksiders 1 crush zelda botw combat, and don't even let me start with darksiders 2 combat...
Combat systems is not good or bad based on the number of attacks a character has or how flashy it looks, it's how satsifying it is to defeat enemies. Zelda is simple but the dodge and attack work well and it's satisfying to fight through the entire game. The absolutely mad level of physics and flexibility in the combat does a lot.

GymWolf

Combat systems is not good or bad based on the number of attacks a character has or how flashy it looks, it's how satsifying it is to defeat enemies. Zelda is simple but the dodge and attack work well and it's satisfying to fight through the entire game. The absolutely mad level of physics and flexibility in the combat does a lot.
The only think that i find satisfying in zelda is the good ragdoll when you kill enemies, other than that it's probably one of the most disappointing combat i played this gen, barely better than stuff like elex or some other clanky AA game.

You don't even have a fucking independent evede-roll button when the lock on is off in this damn game...

I basically bought a switch almost exclusively for botw, i tried really hard to love the game but between the basic combat, the unrewarding exploration, shitty boss and dungeon, breakable weapons, zero sense of progression and samey enemies i was done after 40 hours.

Last edited:

JimboJones

I loved MGS5 and I hope we see MGSVI or some sort of continuation of the series. In saying that my vote went with Zelda.

Zelda hooked me from the beginning, MGS5 takes a while to warm up and the opening is a bit of a slog.

Castorp

MGS 5.
I found Zelda BOTW so overrated. It was ok, but very repetitive, empty world, breakable weapons, lack of reward to explore the world.

Zelent

In my opinion, both games were terrible iterations of their respective series.

If I had to choose one... I'd probably have to go with MGSV.

Jokerevo

Banned
BotW had no dungeons and that to me in a Zelda game is an absolute crime. Probably one of the most overrated games of this gen with ridiculously easy encounters, yes mechanics great, yes gameplay great but man was it too easy.

Now MSGV....incredible mechanics and gameplay and absolute mess of a story.....I would still pick MGS V because that no-dungeon thing absolutely pissed me off so much I sold my Switch :D

Top Bottom