• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Game of the year so far?

None of the games I've played this year have been bad. Oh wait, I did try Redfall.
Disgusted Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

I think Redfall will top the list mainly due to the availability of the game, but it seems like Gollum, Return to Moria and Quantum Error are in the running. I doubt many people will buy those games to find out, though.

EDIT: And I shouldn't forget Skull Island: Rise of Kong. That looks like complete shit.

Last edited:
I think Redfall will top the list mainly due to the availability of the game, but it seems like Gollum, Return to Moria and Quantum Error are in the running. I doubt many people will buy those games to find out, though.
Almost no one will ever come close to playing the worst game of the year, which is how these always go. It should just be read as most disappointing game of the year.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Probably a game you never heard of because it's such a mess nobody gave it more than a 5 second look. People who post about some known name are trolls or ignorant of their hobby, there's always some complete technical & conceptual disaster around as just about any script kiddie can launch.

Although, I suppose the King Kong game might qualify (and if it didn't have that IP nobody would have given it more than a 5 second look and we wouldn't have known it exists, but in today's tabloid games media dumb clickbait is their job more than informing folks of unknown great games) 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
in terms of high profile games, it's gotta be Redfall. I know that MS memoryholed it but this really was their big early year tentpole release

mortal

Gold Member
I wouldn't consider any titles I've played this year to be bad. More like most enjoyed to least enjoyed, and none of them were perfect experiences lacking any flaws.
I try not to waste my time and money on games I know will be bad going in.

Aion002

I would say Redfall, but at least I realized from the beginning that it was a terrible game, so I dropped it really fast, so there's at least that.... While Starfield on the other hand, tricked me in to thinking that the game would get better, and I really wanted to like it a lot, so I ended up spending quite sometime on it, until I realized that it was also trash.

So yeah... Starfield for me.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Probably Gollum, but I didn't play it.

Personally, I think the worst game I've played was probably Mortal Kombat 1. I was going to say Starfield, but, I could see them doing things to Starfield that will bring me back. Be it mods, or whatever. But with Mortal Kombat 1, I really don't see myself going back. The game isn't a broken mess but it just feels so shallow and lacking compared to other games in the genre. I mean, it didn't launch with crossplay, and it has a ton of missing QoL features that other fighters launched with. Add the shitty monetization and honestly I really don't know if I'm ever going to bother going back to it

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It's a game possibly not a single person here has played, or even knows exists.

I can guarantee the worst game you can mention and you have actually played this year is not the worst game released this year by a long, long shot.

BigLee74

I will answer on behalf of James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford with Starfield. 😀

For me, Redfall. Absolutely disgusting condition on release with 30fps and poor texture loading. I thought the game looked broken with pixelated fish flopping on the ground with awful shadows, and could only assume it was an artistic choice. Nope, just broken. It looks and plays far better now, but damage already done.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
With Redfall we knew it was going to be bad, we just didn't know how bad.

Starfield however, had all the pretense of a once in a generation game but fell short in pretty much every possible way. It is overwhelmingly mediocre and a huge, huge disappointment.

I would never recommend it to anyone.

ungalo

The worst game i played was Wild Hearts, and it's actually one of the rare games that i purchased and didn't play on Gamepass this year. And it was expensive.

I desperately want to believe in new IPs, it's a major flaw of mine.

The game is not terrible but the visuals made me want to puke after several hours. The monsters are very annoying to fight unlike Monster Hunter, it's the difference. The game had some very interesting ideas but i didn't enjoy myself.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I will answer on behalf of James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford with Starfield. 😀

For me, Redfall. Absolutely disgusting condition on release with 30fps and poor texture loading. I thought the game looked broken with pixelated fish flopping on the ground with awful shadows, and could only assume it was an artistic choice. Nope, just broken. It looks and plays far better now, but damage already done.

Starfield is the biggest disappointment, but the demo I played of Forespoken was worse

When you say worst game you probably also mean bad game, and not game I liked the least.
Nothing really comes to mind for "worst" game, I'm sure I played something that was terrible and then just promptly forgot about it, but nothing I've played was actually bad.
I mean lamplighter's league literally had a game breaking bug that prevented me from progressing until a patch was issued a few days ago, so I guess that was the worst one since it was literally unplayable, but what I was able to play I still enjoyed.

I guess it's probably redfall, since it was just mostly boring and buggy, though there was still some fun there in co-op

Elysium44

Banned
Resident Evil 4 remake. RE6 got panned by the critics but it was much better than RE4 is imo. Also Forza Motorsport and WRC fell well short of where they should be. Standards are plummeting in the industry, although most people's expectations and willingness to be easily pleased seem to be following suit.

Roberts

Didn’t play Redfall at launch, only when they kind of fixed it. Completed the game - it is not great but not a disaster either. Wild Hearts is worse, Minecraft Legends was also disappointing.

Top Bottom