• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your GOTY so far?

What is your Game of the Year so far?

• Total voters

Zheph

Too late.....
pulling-out-a-knife-lisa-nova.gif
Levitating Dark Souls GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

GymWolf

For now it's probably helldivers 2 but i can see hades 2 beating it.

Kinda of a shit year for now.

Last edited:
Not a single one of these games interest me. I tried Dragon's Dogma 2 but it was so shit. Luckily I just started playing Baldur's Gate 3 and it's incredibly refreshing, I seriously didn't think people could make such amazing games anymore. Wow.

Edit: TLOU 2 Remastered, of course!

Last edited:
I'll be honest - I wanted to like Stellar Blade because it represents a developer with an uncompromised vision. However, having played the game, it is absolutely brilliant - the combat is really tight and enjoyable and the pacing/difficulty level is fantastic - it really respects the player's time and gives you just the right amount of challenge (and crucially makes sure you learn the mechanics). It looks stunnning too.

GOTY for me so far - although I did enjoy Alone in the Dark (I haven't played Dragons Dogma 2 yet because of the performance issues).

Last edited:

winjer

The Talos principle 2.
But I bet my GOTY by the end of 024, will be Shadow of the ErdTree.
I know it's a DLC, but it will probably be better than any other full release and with much more content.

Sojiro

Voted Unicorn Overlord, I have been playing it for the last week and holy shit do I really like it, fantastic game. If I had a PS5 I think either Rebirth or Ronin would be my picks, Ronin in particular I loved the look of when it was first revealed.

Blindy

Persona 3 Reload(9.5/10)
FFVII Rebirth(9/10)
Stellar Blade(9/10)
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown(8.5/10)
Spirit Hunter: Death Mark II(8.5/10)
Turnip Boy Robs a Bank(8.5/10)
Penny's Big Breakaway(7.5/10)
Foamstars(5/10)
Silent Hill: The Short Message(4/10)

Is how I rank the games I played & beat this year.

Only played 9 games this year thus far....P3R most likely will be my GOTY as I love the characters, setting and gameplay of it. The Aigis DLC could really take it up a notch if it's done correctly.

Last edited:

Pimpollo818

I seldom play games the year they release. I'm going with Crash 4 for now. It's a great reboot that honors the previous titles.

Filben

ve spent the most time in GBF:Relink so I guess it goes to that.
How does the demo compare to the full version? I've played the demo, reeeeally liked the visuals, but combat was so easy I got bored after ten minutes already. How's the story and gameplay loop of the full version?

I'm currently playing Stellar Blade and having a blast. Is it comparable to any degree?

diffusionx

Gold Member
This list just depresses me. We're in May and I'm not going to remember a single one of these games. 2023 was so stacked by comparison.
Obviously, taste is subjective, but 2023 was a year where we got this massive flood of titles that should have come out in 2021 or 2022 but were delayed because of the coof. But even with that, I think this list is pretty damn good and way better than 2021/2022.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Well if we can include stuff from other years that we've played this year, mine would be either Kingdom Come: Deliverance or Dragon Quest VIII.

It's funny, I played KCD to pass the time until Dragon's Dogma 2 released, but I think I ended enjoying the former more than the later.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Obviously, taste is subjective, but 2023 was a year where we got this massive flood of titles that should have come out in 2021 or 2022 but were delayed because of the coof. But even with that, I think this list is pretty damn good and way better than 2021/2022.

2022 was indeed not great. If it weren't for Elden Ring and GoW: Rag I'd entirely forget 2022 happened for gaming.

Bartski

Gold Member
I'll vote Stellar Babe

Other than that I only played Alone in the Dark from this list.

This year has been really weird. So many games with a lot of hype but very little for me there... most hours on the clock went into other relatively unpopular titles

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

so far my GotY is guessing when the next Switch comes out.

It's never ending. IT's open ended. Maximum player agency. Multi-platform. Single player and multiplayer. I like the ability to razz other players. The graphics aren't much to look at. Nearly 100% community driven content.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Probably Helldivers 2. But that’s because most others games went downhill, halfway through my playthrough.

I was ready to say FF7 was game of the year material, until the unlimited amount of mini games showed themselves, and the repetitive nature of the gameplay loop was a snore fest. So that game went back to GameFly. Maybe I’ll try to fix it when they inevitably add it to PS+ catalog.

I was also ready to crown Dragons Dogma 2, until it too showed what it was and what it wasn’t. While combat was fun, the amount of traversing became a chore because while I didn’t have an issue with enemy difficulty, it just seemed insane the amount of monsters I need to kill to go anywhere. Maybe I’ll pick the game back up later, I don’t know.

Helldivers 2 had a really, really fucked up launch. But when I could get into a game, I was having a blast. It’s the only 2024 game I keep playing here and there.

My real game/app of the year is the Delta emulator app for iPhones. I’ve played more NES, SNES and N64 the last month or so than anything else.

GymWolf

Probably Helldivers 2. But that’s because most others games went downhill, halfway through my playthrough.

I was ready to say FF7 was game of the year material, until the unlimited amount of mini games showed themselves, and the repetitive nature of the gameplay loop was a snore fest. So that game went back to GameFly. Maybe I’ll try to fix it when they inevitably add it to PS+ catalog.

I was also ready to crown Dragons Dogma 2, until it too showed what it was and what it wasn’t. While combat was fun, the amount of traversing became a chore because while I didn’t have an issue with enemy difficulty, it just seemed insane the amount of monsters I need to kill to go anywhere. Maybe I’ll pick the game back up later, I don’t know.

Helldivers 2 had a really, really fucked up launch. But when I could get into a game, I was having a blast. It’s the only 2024 game I keep playing here and there.

My real game/app of the year is the Delta emulator app for iPhones. I’ve played more NES, SNES and N64 the last month or so than anything else.
What...what enemy difficulty? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Katajx

Gold Member
1.FFVII Rebirth
2. Dragon’s Dogma 2
3. Helldivers 2
4. Eiyuuden Chronicle

They have all been fun, but the top 2 were hard to decide between.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nothing.

Suicide Squad: Classic GaaS trash. I really like the story but every mission is the same. They tried to salvage it by adding riddler quests and some really fun combat mechanics, but you cant hide gaas trash.
FF7 Rebirth - Shouldve been GOTY material like the first but it is full of mini games and detours and arguably the worst open world design since AC1. Just copy paste 101. Shocking from a japanese developer. I thought these guys had talent and wouldve been able to do more with open world design. I was wrong.
No Rest For Wicked - Another soulless souls game. pass.
Dragons Dogma 2 - Another game with lots of potential completely ruined by lack of fast travel, poor main quest, and poor side quests. If a western dev had made this, we would be mocking it.
Stellar Blade - Didnt last long in the demo. Whatever they were going for is not for me. I dont replay games from the PS2 or PS3 era because i dont think they were great. So games trying to go back and capture that magic are not for me.

I would rate all these games 6.5 aside from Rebirth which is a 7 simply because of the love and effort they put into it. But none of these games are GOTY caliber. I might try Rise of Ronin which i hear is great, but so far, this has been a rather poor year for goty caliber games.

GymWolf

Nothing.

Suicide Squad: Classic GaaS trash. I really like the story but every mission is the same. They tried to salvage it by adding riddler quests and some really fun combat mechanics, but you cant hide gaas trash.
FF7 Rebirth - Shouldve been GOTY material like the first but it is full of mini games and detours and arguably the worst open world design since AC1. Just copy paste 101. Shocking from a japanese developer. I thought these guys had talent and wouldve been able to do more with open world design. I was wrong.
No Rest For Wicked - Another soulless souls game. pass.
Dragons Dogma 2 - Another game with lots of potential completely ruined by lack of fast travel, poor main quest, and poor side quests. If a western dev had made this, we would be mocking it.
Stellar Blade - Didnt last long in the demo. Whatever they were going for is not for me. I dont replay games from the PS2 or PS3 era because i dont think they were great. So games trying to go back and capture that magic are not for me.

I would rate all these games 6.5 aside from Rebirth which is a 7 simply because of the love and effort they put into it. But none of these games are GOTY caliber. I might try Rise of Ronin which i hear is great, but so far, this has been a rather poor year for goty caliber games.
You need to play helldivers 2.

Pelta88

Returnal not being on that list makes me think OP doesn't know what a GOTY contender is.

I kid. Nut returnal should be on that list!

Last edited:
Top Bottom