• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield, FF16, GOW Ragnarok, or Tears of the Kingdom - which of these had the worst writing?

Which of these games have the worst writing?

• Total voters

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
What's wrong with the scene? People react under emotional distress all the time when they love someone. It's a human condition, just as freezing in place out of fear is one as well.

It is a dumb, silly moment in a series whose hero has reflexes and intuition far above that of a normal person (seriously, spider-sense should have acted far faster than MJ ever could) - but this is a very minor nitpick of a scene. There are plenty others that are far more egregious, such as Harry's endless whining/crying, most of Miles's side quests, and how they generally portrayed NYC and forgot that cops, jews, and italians are major parts of the city.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It is a dumb, silly moment in a series whose hero has reflexes and intuition far above that of a normal person (seriously, spider-sense should have acted far faster than MJ ever could) - but this is a very minor nitpick of a scene. There are plenty others that are far more egregious, such as Harry's endless whining/crying, most of Miles's side quests, and how they generally portrayed NYC and forgot that cops, jews, and italians are major parts of the city.
True, I already saw what all the ciminal gangs looked like too. Seems they fell prey to the Cuntaku hit pieces of the first game. You know, the people who would "never rely on police protection, like ever."

If they portrayed actual crime statistics of NYC, they'd be called all the bigots and racists, and every other weaponized BS 'phobia' or 'ist' under the sun.

Last edited:
Spider-Man 2 is pretty awful as its clear they prioritize agenda and social justice over narrative which leads to the story's detriment a lot. And the whole second half is a poorly written mess. Just a complete mess. What were they thinking letting go the writers of the competent first game? That being said, there are still some chuckle worthy witty lines of dialogue throughout and the characters are fine. Well characterized I guess. When they're not fucking around trying to make gaming journalist happy its a pretty decently written Spiderman.

Starfield however Jesus fucking christ where do I even begin? Theres no sane person on earth who has experienced even an iota of other media who could look you in the eye and call the writing good with a straight face. Its worse sin isn't that its just Tommy Wiseau awful dogshit. (well maybe at times honestly) But its just... its nothing. Its bereft. Its a husk. Its dull, boring. Sleep inducing. It makes you feel claustrophobic. Theres nothing, nobody to attach or relate to. Theres nothing to make you intrigued, angry, sad, laugh, cry, joyful anything. Its not even passable. It's below your average MCU movie. Completely devoid of life. Simply put, it sucks beyond any defense. And thus HAS to be the worst on the list.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
True, I already saw what all the ciminal gangs looked like too. Seems they fell prey to the Cuntaku hit pieces of the first game. You know, the people who would "never rely on police protection, like ever."

If they portrayed actual crime statistics of NYC, they'd be called all the bigots and racists, and every other weaponized BS 'phobia' or 'ist' under the sun.

I don't mind the criminal issue - though I think it would be better for variety if we had many different visuals for enemies we fight. Men, Women, young, old, black, white, asian, hispanic - etc. Just that little visual variety can go a long way.

The cops felt relatively real in Spider-Man 1. They had issues, they could be corrupt, but you also had people who genuinely cared and wanted to see changes for the better. That seemed to all be thrown out the window for Spidey 2. So many scenes where police are to be expected and you see nothing.

If they wanted to focus more on other first responders, then cool! But you don't need to take away what you already had. Add in missions where you help direct traffic during a high speed ambulance to get to the hospital, or help the firefighters clear buildings and get people out.

The biggest annoyance I had above everything else was the complete lack of italian and jewish heritage or cultural artwork that is seen across these regions in IRL NYC. You can have BIPOC art, but you can also celebrate jewish heritage, and italian culture. NYC is so great because it is this massive city born from immigrants all coming to the US to start a new life and chase that classical American dream.

At moments, Spider-Man 2 has that classical Spidey feel. From Peter's awe over the Emily May foundation and his love of science and progress. Yes, it is very much idealistic in how they portray it and in any practical research field, you would need entire buildings dedicated to just one of these fields and not small little secitons - but that is the point of Comics. To make them feel more idealistic.

Or the scenes of Spidey helping out a homeless man or just sitting and talking to a grandfather who is remembering the past. Those are beautiful, touching moments that *feel* like Spidey. That *feel* like what you would encounter within NYC. But then you have Miles side quests which are all the most heavy handed, slacktivist bent malarkey that feels like the writers never went to NYC or any place that isn't some heavily curated bubble of theirs.

Last edited:

mdkirby

Didn't work for FF16

5INFuqN.png

Might be good for Spiderman 3 tho
Ah yeah the stupid censors. They really need to fix that on all ai tools. I tried using generative fill on photoshop recently to add legs to the lower half of a picture. The word “legs” turns out is a banned word 🤣. Midjourney has threatened me for asking for a sleepy looking person with bloodshot eyes. Bloodshot is banned🤦‍♂️. Got a similar threat and refusal for asking for “steam rising from hot coals in a relaxing Swedish sauna”. Sauna is a banned word.

That said, I know for writing fiction there are some pre prompt primers people use which will loosen up chatGPT. Not tried Grok yet, that would have no issue with it in terms of theme/content, but it’s a lot newer and not as advanced yet.

All these ai’s really need to offer uncensored version as they are increasingly integrated into creative workflows.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The Harry character model having a persistent half-smirk on his face all the time kept pulling me out of any attempted immersion with his character on screen.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ah yeah the stupid censors. They really need to fix that on all ai tools. I tried using generative fill on photoshop recently to add legs to the lower half of a picture. The word “legs” turns out is a banned word 🤣. Midjourney has threatened me for asking for a sleepy looking person with bloodshot eyes. Bloodshot is banned🤦‍♂️. Got a similar threat and refusal for asking for “steam rising from hot coals in a relaxing Swedish sauna”. Sauna is a banned word.

That said, I know for writing fiction there are some pre prompt primers people use which will loosen up chatGPT. Not tried Grok yet, that would have no issue with it in terms of theme/content, but it’s a lot newer and not as advanced yet.

All these ai’s really need to offer uncensored version as they are increasingly integrated into creative workflows.
Artificial, indeed.

rogr rogr

In TOTK the cutscenes were sooo repetitive. I felt the same cutscene was played with every boss defeated, just slightly changing the focus to one of the sages.

Saber

Gold Member
Starfield would be the top one with ridiculous boring and lifeless story.
But Spider-man 2 forced social retard woke stuff and God War making Kratos a soyfighter really forces my hand.

Starfield would be the top one with ridiculous boring and lifeless story.
But Spider-man 2 forced social retard woke stuff and God War making Kratos a soyfighter really forces my hand.
yeah, there's absolutely a difference between bad writing & obnoxious writing. starfield, at its worst (which was often), was just sorta sleep-inducing...

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
You are crazy to put God of War there. Just because you hate Atreus doesn't mean the writing is bad. Valhalla free dlc has better writing than all those games.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Starfield has a good story and decent characters. And a good mystery and ending. Your missions mattered.

zelda tells a good story and has time travel and dragons. Well done

I thought GOW was weak. All the issues would have been solved if people would listen.

haven’t played ff16 or Spider-Man.

Starfield has a good story and decent characters. And a good mystery and ending. Your missions mattered.
We must've played a differnt game. Nothing you did mattered. The biggest likey consequence to any action was getting moaned at by the collective of constilation karrens for your poor choices. Hell a lot of things you could do didn't even matter to the game code. You could anihilate any of those random space encounters* and they just kept randomly respawning anyway.

*except for the one with the school kids naturally. Those little fuckers warp out before you can delete them.

Boss Mog

Uhhh… it is. It’s right there in the list.

You know, somehow I find myself questioning your ability to judge writing.
You should question your own ability to read more than anything else apparently, because if you actually read the OP you would know there was a mod edit that added Spider-man 2 but when I posted the only choices were the 3 games in the thread title.

Last edited:

ududy

Neo Member
unfortunately, i'm afraid you're asking just a bit too much. it's become obvious that a number of writers no longer know how to (or dare to?) write, you know, 'dialogue'. so, yeah, what we're left with is a whole lot of moralizing. &, if it feels off, it's because this isn't the way we, over the course of our daily lives, actually communicate with each other...

my personal suggestion to game writers? read a few elmore leonard novels. if nothing else, you'll enjoy yourself...

I don't think it's even a matter of realism. Being interested in people and judging people are two very different and contradictory things. If you're busy judging your characters you can't experience them from within and can't really write compelling characters. Good writers are interested in their characters, not in making themselves feel superior.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
You should question your own ability to read more than anything else apparently, because if you actually read the OP you would know there was a mod edit that added Spider-man 2 but when I posted the only choices were the 3 games in the thread title.

Buddy… there are whole discussions about Spider-Man 2 discussing its inclusion in the list well before you posted. They’re right there on the first damn page. Post #19:

You can now vote for it.

That’s in reference to Spider-man 2. Yours is post #220.

I mean, it was just a humorous jab, but if you want to go full-on internet nerd battle about this, the receipts are all just a click away.

tommib

Buddy… there are whole discussions about Spider-Man 2 discussing its inclusion in the list well before you posted. They’re right there on the first damn page. Post #19:

That’s in reference to Spider-man 2. Yours is post #220.

I mean, it was just a humorous jab, but if you want to go full-on internet nerd battle about this, the receipts are all just a click away.
What the fuck are you talking about. You’re quoting my post which is number 19. Stop taking drugs and being a knob.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Imagine witnessing this and not think that A) this game is woke as fuck, and B) this is good writing.

In what fucked up, parallel reality, shark-jumping bullshit, did a writer think that Mary Jane thought that shielding Peter from Venom was something which would protect and/or help Peter in any way? Exactly how did she think that she is better equipped than Peter in dealing with a super-powered extra terrestrial threat who for all intents and purposes is also capable of possessing the people it comes into contact with?

It's like they are desperate to show that 'MJ can do stuff too' in order for our primitive and patriarchical minds to get the memo. Don't worry morons, you have her beat half of Kraven's gang and half the symbiote army with a fucking taser. We are already brainwashed into thinking she's useful - no need of having her go toe to toe with Venom. We GET IT. SHE'S AMAZING. She needs no man, she's her own person. Fucking awesome.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
We must've played a differnt game. Nothing you did mattered. The biggest likey consequence to any action was getting moaned at by the collective of constilation karrens for your poor choices. Hell a lot of things you could do didn't even matter to the game code. You could anihilate any of those random space encounters* and they just kept randomly respawning anyway.

*except for the one with the school kids naturally. Those little fuckers warp out before you can delete them.
I think when you get to the end you find yourself presented with the choices you made having impact. Overall I enjoyed the story of Starfield more than the story of GoW.

Boss Mog

I don't give a shit who said what when. When I posted, the title and the OP only listed those 3 games so I responded based on the OP so please stfu now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Imagine witnessing this and not think that A) this game is woke as fuck, and B) this is good writing.

In what fucked up, parallel reality, shark-jumping bullshit, did a writer think that Mary Jane thought that shielding Peter from Venom was something which would protect and/or help Peter in any way? Exactly how did she think that she is better equipped than Peter in dealing with a super-powered extra terrestrial threat who for all intents and purposes is also capable of possessing the people it comes into contact with?

It's like they are desperate to show that 'MJ can do stuff too' in order for our primitive and patriarchical minds to get the memo. Don't worry morons, you have her beat half of Kraven's gang and half the symbiote army with a fucking taser. We are already brainwashed into thinking she's useful - no need of having her go toe to toe with Venom. We GET IT. SHE'S AMAZING. She needs no man, she's her own person. Fucking awesome.

eZe29lU.png

You can thank Bryan Intihar. He's a doofus.

DaGwaphics

With all the new tech coming along (meta-human and things like that), I think the next big thing they need to work on in that area is computer generated speech. There are some programs around that can do a good job of that for video voice-over and things like that. If you get something like this good enough to use for NPC characters it could do wonders for the writing and the overall story. And I'm referring to something that can run locally on the PC/Console running the game in real time.

When you look at a game like Starfield and the crazy amount of recorded dialog it included, it's easy to make the case that it could have used 5 or 10 times more lines if not 100 times. I feel like this is likely the reason why what could be full conversations often needs to be condensed into a few sentences in RPG games, which can hurt the depth IMO.

The entire King James Bible can just about fit on a floppy disk in epub format. Think about the depth of dialog that could be created from 100mb of text if it could be converted into passable speech. That could be game changing, especially in the rpg genre. The voices would have to be modifiable so that thousands or millions of different voices and dialects could be represented and you'd likely need some form of markup language for the text to ensure things were processed correctly. Maybe this is something where powerful AI could be used in the creation stage to get the "script" correct, but lower powered machines could "read" the prepared script with a lot less power.

It will be interesting to see if something like that ever comes along.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
After reading this thread, I don't even need to play it.

My vote goes to Spider-Man 2.
lol play it. that is an insane video that is likely responsible for spiderman 2 being the most woke game of all time, but trust me, the actual main campaign isnt too bad aside from some forced MJ shit towards the end. shes a superhero on a bike but the rest is fine.

the woke shit is mostly tied to side quests especially Miles. the game probably has the best story ive played this year. villains, side characters, main characters, actual plot are all well written. Miles and some MJ bits feel forced, but other than that its fine.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
I don't give a shit who said what when. When I posted, the title and the OP only listed those 3 games so I responded based on the OP so please stfu now.

lol. “I don’t care who said what when, now let me tell you who said what when” all while being objectively, demonstrably wrong about who said what and when. What a hill to die on.

What the fuck are you talking about. You’re quoting dmy post which is number 19. Stop taking drugs and being a knob.

Yeah… you can go join the remedial literacy class. I quoted you as part of a conversation with Boss Mog up there,

Christ, what a shit-show. People who can’t - or won’t - read really do lose their privileges when it comes to critiquing writing.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

As much as I enjoyed playing Starfield, the writing just wasn't good, particularly in the main campaign. Some of the faction quest stories were ok though.

Parts of GoW: R were fairly cringey as well, but overall thought it wasn't too bad.
Agreed, while zelda just has shitty voice actors with not much of a script to go by

Boss Mog

lol. “I don’t care who said what when, now let me tell you who said what when” all while being objectively, demonstrably wrong about who said what and when. What a hill to die on.
Hill to die on? Wtf are you even talking about? Are you mentally ill? Why are you even replying to my initial comment in the first place? What point were you even trying to make and why are you continuing to reply to me with your nonsense?

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Hill to die on? Wtf are you even talking about? Are you mentally ill? Why are you even replying to my initial comment in the first place? What point were you even trying to make and why are you continuing to reply to me with your nonsense?
Holy shit, dude.

You’ve gone from making a simple mistake, to denying reality, to doubling down on that denial in the face of undeniable evidence, to accusing anyone who dares criticise you of mental illness.

I bet you’re an only child.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Holy shit, dude.

You’ve gone from making a simple mistake, to denying reality, to doubling down on that denial in the face of undeniable evidence, to accusing anyone who dares criticise you of mental illness.

I bet you’re an only child.
I made a comment period, there was no "mistake", that only happened in your delusional mentally ill mind. I mean what kind of person goes out of their way to attack somebody over literally nothing? You have serious issues my friend.

Top Bottom