• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF16 is the worst paced game I’ve played in a very long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumomeme

I was actually going to buy it this week. The reviews were very good, but when I read here, I'm not sure if I should get it at all.
put aside whether it is right or wrong, keep in mind, people on forum like this tend to be much more critical than others. however not everyone on same wavelength. but that also doesnt mean there is no dumb or controversial take at all. for example there is people who defended 15 to death here. there is also people who hate certain game, to death here. sometimes, things getting bit exeggerated. one place at internet doesnt represent majority. any place cant escape that no matter how many 'expert' exist at one place. same vocal people often everywhere, active participate and make large portion in discussion too. there is also people with too many times on their hand. not to mention, each others has their own preferences, expectation or what their personally seek out. me too has my own opinion that others people here might dislike for example. same goes with everyone here.

i go to twitter there is different kind of 'war'
then i go to facebook, there is different kind of 'war' again
on reddit, there is different variation sentiment
and here?

take this as you will, but this is what i observe on internet. but for me i never depend on one source for impression.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
the last 20% is pretty good and you should press on! i have not play the final dungeon granted.

i check the achievement/trophies, does one of it (the chronicler) says less than 2% completed the game? oh dear....

I'm stuck doing all the side quests after Odin in the parting sea and it's killing me lol

I'll press on.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Since my discovery of ff7 remake, xv, I discovered I love weeb games. 7 remake is one of the best games I’ve ever played. Xv is fantastic game with great ending and themes. Xvi is so good.

… should I play kingdom hearts ? Presumably only the one that came out on ps4 or something…

SantaC

Neither game hit the mark for me, but at least FF15 offered some level of customization and maintained some essence of the Final Fantasy series. In contrast, FF16 compelled me to farm for materials and items seemingly without purpose. Why was I forced to slog through numerous subpar side quests with hardly any reward? Additionally, I found that I had little to nothing worthwhile to spend my gil on. 20-40k per song? lol wtf.
Wait what? FF15 barely had any customization. Freaking magic spells were items lol.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I'm stuck doing all the side quests

Why are you doing them? I stopped taking side quests half way into the game except those with a plus above their head which give u upgrades. The rest give you so little xp and rewards, you're literally wasting time. Just do only the bounties and main quest and move on.

peish

I'm stuck doing all the side quests after Odin in the parting sea and it's killing me lol

I'll press on.

imo the story threads do tighten up from this point on.

presentation is still ever clunky and disconnected between the attempted grandness and what's rendered on screen...

bu3 could do with more experienced story director/scenario planner/someone to clean up the clunk. perhaps they do not see this blind side in an mmorpg

Last edited:

Disco Dave

I really enjoyed the game but I wholeheartedly agree with the criticism regarding the side quests. Although they were optional, some of the later ones had important story elements tied to them that really should have been part of the main campaign.

I will definitely replay new game+ on Final Fantasy mode at some point next year.

sigmaZ

I stopped playing after 18 hours. Yes, the boss fights, and some of the locations are fantastic. But everything in between is simply not worth your time and feels like a terrible filler.
I still recommend finishing it. Just skip the BS. There's some really good stuff like Dion's arc and the Bahamut fight which are the main highlight of the game. If you're going to quit, I would at least get through that.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Why are you doing them? I stopped taking side quests half way into the game except those with a plus above their head which give u upgrades. The rest give you so little xp and rewards, you're literally wasting time. Just do only the bounties and main quest and move on.

It's my OCD I think, or something. I just cant move on until all ive tied them all up. I just wish they were better.
imo the story threads do tighten up from this point on.

presentation is still ever clunky and disconnected between the attempted grandness and what's rendered on screen...

bu3 could do with more experienced story director/scenario planner/someone to clean up the clunk. perhaps they do not see this blind side in an mmorpg
Ill stick with it for sure, No way im not finishing it up.

Go_Ly_Dow

Since my discovery of ff7 remake, xv, I discovered I love weeb games. 7 remake is one of the best games I’ve ever played. Xv is fantastic game with great ending and themes. Xvi is so good.

… should I play kingdom hearts ? Presumably only the one that came out on ps4 or something…

Hmmmm....

In terms of higher budget or more modern wonderful weeb games I would recommend

NieR Automata
Xenoblade Chronicles series.
Tales of Arise
Persona 5 Royal

Classics that have been remastered but are perfectly playable

Final Fantasy X HD (skip X-2!)
Final Fantasy XII HD

There are plenty more too, but there's a few to start with.

When the game came out, everyone was praising it and now...all I see is cpmplaints about pacing and how boring it is. So which one is it?
I was just thinking this, this morning.
I remember a specific GAF post saying "this is the greatest game i have ever played!"

Now im fairly sure it's the only game that individual has ever played.

I have skipped 100% dialogue/cutscene etc for every side quest for at least half this game. There's just soooo muchhh filller

When the game came out, everyone was praising it and now...all I see is cpmplaints about pacing and how boring it is. So which one is it?
It's just one guy complaint and the haters bandwagon on it. It is a solid game nonetheless.

The 'gameplay' he adds. It's the most simplistic and pointless party control I've seen.
He's just a sidekick, if you're too dependent on it then yes his damage will feel underwhelming.

The best part about XVI is that people now are far less hyperbolic about XV.
Maybe due to it selling better Square will remaster it and finally (pleaaaase) patch in hard mode. (limit 1 use per item per combat encounter) Only thing it really needs, and would be trivial to do.

Last edited:
Other games have sidekicks with much deeper controls. And no I'm not dependent on him. The game is easy enough to not need a party at all, which is kind of my point.
So why bother? You want the same controls here as well? That's actually the point of a sidekick right, it's not necessary. I'm sure you can play the 'other' games without using the deep controls of a side kick.

SantaC

I'm near ending section, and I could see myself writing a similar topic like this.

I loved the demo and still think the game has one of the greatest starts in recent years but... Eventually falls off when you start to get past that point and you start to see that besides the epic CGI, boss battles and some narrative moments, everything else is flat as fuck.

Like I said on the games OT, if this game had the depth, mechanics and party charisma of Tales of Arise, it would be much better.

Hell, I'm bold enough to even say that what FFXVI tried to achieve, Tales of Arise already did and did it way better.
Tales of Arise is a poor example. That party was cringe.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hmmmm....

In terms of higher budget or more modern wonderful weeb games I would recommend

NieR Automata
Xenoblade Chronicles series.
Tales of Arise
Persona 5 Royal

Classics that have been remastered but are perfectly playable

Final Fantasy X HD (skip X-2!)
Final Fantasy XII HD

There are plenty more too, but there's a few to start with.
I just got Nier Automata YoHR ps4 physical edition. Will play it soon.
Don't think I am on persona level just yet

I was just thinking this, this morning.
I remember a specific GAF post saying "this is the greatest game i have ever played!"

Now im fairly sure it's the only game that individual has ever played.

I have skipped 100% dialogue/cutscene etc for every side quest for at least half this game. There's just soooo muchhh filller

A specific member who's riling about too many dialogues and cutscenes here is excited about BG3 17,000 endings and 100+ hours of cutscenes. The irony!

hyperbertha

So why bother? You want the same controls here as well? That's actually the point of a sidekick right, it's not necessary. I'm sure you can play the 'other' games without using the deep controls of a side kick.
No you can't. Most party games need your side kicks to win battles. Try soloing kotor.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
A specific member who's riling about too many dialogues and cutscenes here is excited about BG3 17,000 endings and 100+ hours of cutscenes. The irony!
Ending 13256 - Evil is defeated, John is happy, Maria is sad, Frank is gay
Ending 13257 - Evil is defeated, John is happy, Maria is sad, Frank is gay but has a mole on his arm.
Ending 13258 - Evil is.....

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Honestly to complain about the side-quests in FFXVI is pretty ridiculous. It really is the least of this game's problems.

The game's graphics are a very mixed bag, sometimes it'll look great and other times it'll look last gen and you'll be asking yourself why does this game run like shit in the performance mode when it should easily be a solid 60fps.

The combat is another major letdown. it lacks so much variety and depth. They dumbed it down to make it more accessible but that was a big mistake and the bullet sponge enemies don't help. To put it into perspective, imagine Goku, Naruto, Ichigo, or whoever your favorite anime hero is, going all out with their ultimate attack in their ultimate transformation against some lowly scrub and the scrub survives and will need like a few more of those huge attacks to eventually die.

The dungeons are also a huge issue, they're pretty much corridor simulators. Castles will have a million doors, but only one will actually open. Dungeon exploration is non-existent , same goes for puzzles.

I'm still having okay fun playing it, it's not an awful game by any means but it's definitely not a 9 or 10 for me, more like a 7 at best. I feel that overall Tales of Arise is a better game than FFXVI.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

Shark Tank Ugh GIF by ABC Network

You know that's not true lol
I just went over the 100 hour mark, 🤷‍♂️

Hugare

FF VII R is better in pretty much every regard, imo

Not that FF XVI is bad, not by a long shot. Its really good, but pacing is really horrible, yeah

They injected 70% of the budget in the first 15h of the game. After that, the structure of the game completely changes, becoming much less focused and more MMO like.

I was totally fine with it being a cinematic, laser focused experience. I was enjoying the first 15-20h so much. Then they completely changed the game.

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
The side-quests are so incredibly frustrating. I actually liked the content. The stories were (for many, not all) interesting, and would have been fantastic if tied to some decent rewards like ultimate weapons for other party members, and if they were spaced out with more world exploration and battles. It’s the prevention and integration with the main game that is the problem. I accidentally completed the game without finishing the side-quests and ended up reloading to finish them before moving onto a NG+. They were painful and I ended up skipping the interminable cutscenes. That was a shame because from what I did see, they delivered backstory that made the characters, their motivations and your role in their development much clearer and more impactful. It shouldn’t take 60 hours of bullshit fetch for me to find out why it was important that I do those bullshit fetch quests in the first place, though - they should be spread out throughout the campaign, so that I can give each one the time that it deserves rather than suddenly ticking a dozen very large checkboxes before running off to wallop the final boss.

For NG+, I am skipping every possible cutscene. It is ridiculous. I am spending more time holding triangle than pressing square. That is just not right.

Zathalus

I recommend Persona 5.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I didn’t say there weren’t any flaws, I referenced that the people who are enjoying it are playing it and not on Gaf complaining about it….apparently I was wrong about at least one person not complaining about it lol
Yeah man, let's keep dodging the debate and say that I'm the only one complaining about the game lol.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Madflavor

For me it's a solid 7.5 or 8/10, but if the pacing were trimmed down to a 15-20 hour Character Action game, it would've brought it up to a 9 or 10/10 for me. I could give a shit about exploration, side quests, and RPG elements if a game is clearly not trying to be within the RPG genre, and just wants to be an action game like DMC with a great story and protagonist.

Here are all the things pacing the game out to 15-20 hours would fix:
  • A tighter story with less downtime, and you'd arrive to more interesting story moments and big action set pieces a lot quicker. Your time would be respected and the story would have a firmer grasp on your attention.
  • You'd unlock your Eikon Powers quicker. FFXVI as it stands makes you wait far too long to unlock new powers.
  • The combat wouldn't outstay it's welcome.
  • Trimming out all that padding would allowed for more time and budget to flesh out the dungeons in the game.
  • Less attention would've be called to the shallow RPG elements and exploration, because at that point it's not trying to have it's cake and eat it too, and it's clearly and irrefutably a Character Action game.
FFXVI is a case where less definitely would've been a lot more.

Tedditalk

Surprised so many people are seeing a critical topic and stunned by people being critical of the game. There is an entire OT where people who are enjoying the game are still discussing it at length. You will get a better idea of the game there.

For me, after I completed the game and started running the arcade mode, It become really apparent to me that the developers do not quite know how to design an action game. All the arcade mode sections are just story sections sequestered into what is effectively a score trial, and every single one of them is the same run down linear hallway, engagement, ad nauseum. That the whole game, with the difference outside of this mode is that you can do mechanically shallow sidequests and the main quest sections outside of this plays the same.

In DMC, you solve puzzles, do challenges and have a much higher base difficulty, and a bigger base moveset. There is more to master, and more pressure to master it. The encounter variety is also much higher because of that. It sad because this game at time dole out it content in a worse fashion then dmc 1, yet even feeling more shallow at times.

However, the combat system with 3 eikons is pretty damn good, but not at good as dmc3 but feels alot better than that to play due to better enemy archetypes and generally great polish on the moveset. The game lives and dies by the combat. The story I enjoyed but It can be hit or miss.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Yeah man, let's keep dodging the debate and say that I'm the only one complaining about the game lol.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF
There’s not even a debate though, it’s a bashing thread 😂. And I’m not saying you are the only one…you sure as hell as the one person I’ve heard put in 80+ hours and saying that there are many flaws though. I’m arguing that a shit ton of people enjoy the game with flaws and they aren’t taking to Gaf to complain about them. That’s all I started the conversation with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom