• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI is a Good Game

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is my first Final Fantasy game and I fucking love it.

I hope they iterate on the foundation laid with this game in terms of gameplay. If we get another FF with this kind of combat system I'll play that one too.
I would suggest playing 7 remake and XV.
2 latest modern FF games that are both very different but don't feel like ancient ff games.

I tried 7R when it came to PS+ a few years ago and I hated the combat. I stopped when I finished Chapter 3.
I was basically in the same boat. I only played the demo for FF7R and didn't like it enough to care about it.
But then I ended up getting FFXVI and really liking it. After I beat XVI, I went back and I was more open and accepting of the FF7R combat and finished it.
It took XVI for me to be more open to the quazi turn based and team member crap in FF7R. I still don't like team management type stuff, but I was able to get through the game without caring about it too much.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Isn't that a subscription-based MMO? Negative interest in that tbh.
That's fair. XVI seems more like a entry point for newcomers to FF. I prefer VIIR over XVI easily. XVI is a more casual friendly kind of game.
Stranger of Paradise probably has the best Action Combat among them all though.

That's fair. XVI seems more like a entry point for newcomers to FF. I prefer VIIR over XVI easily. XVI is a more casual friendly kind of game.
Stranger of Paradise probably has the best Action Combat among them all though.
Yea, XVI got me into FF. Then I beat VIIR and bought stranger of paradise and ever crisis for cheap, but they're in my backlog.
I plan to play Rebirth before touching my backlog.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
It was okay. I enjoyed it,. Definitely not really want I wanted out of an FF game, Wish there was more gear customization and party members etc. But I finished it and enjoyed it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's a good game that just falls so far short of its obvious potential after first act that the ultimate impression it leaves is disappointment.

I think something similar happened to Starfield. These are clearly both good games, but they should have been better.

stn

Personally, I love all the last few FF entries (7R, 15, SoP, and 16). I think 16 would have been even better received if it didn't carry the FF name since I am sure FF purists were let down by the extremely basic RPG options.

Top Bottom