• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI was the most downloaded PS5/PS4 game in Japan in 2023 beating Hogwarts Legacy

Draugoth

Gold Member
32c1250a3c69943b3cefc71b1ab24870b897eeaf.jpg

In many regions, Hogwarts Legacy was the standout as the most downloaded game, but that wasn't the case in Japan, as Final Fantasy XVI on PS5 took that spot.

The latest RPG developed by Square Enix has managed to surpass such successful titles as Hogwarts Legacy, Monster Hunter Rise, Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon and others.

1. Final Fantasy XVI
  2. Hogwarts Legacy
  3. Monster Hunter: Rise
  4. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon
  5. Resident Evil 4 Remake
  6. Street Fighter 6
  7. Diablo IV
  8. Wild Hearts
  9. Like a Dragon Gaiden
  10. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
According to data released by Square Enix itself, Final Fantasy XVI sold 3 million copies in less than a week, but as of today, it hasn't updated the figure.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I would have been shocked if it didn’t beat Hogwarts Legacy in Japan….
Japan loves Harry Potter

Daniel Radcliffe has mentioned in several interviews how it's one of the most enthusiastic fan bases out there

Interesting. How many copies did Hogwarts sell in Japan?

We have the info from the ransomware leaks that show digital still isn't that large in Japan for PlayStation, so if XVI matches that average we can only safely extrapolate but so many digital copies were sold in the region. But it also could be one of the outliers where a large volume of sales were in fact digital.

No way of knowing without more info so uh, yeah....

Madflavor

32c1250a3c69943b3cefc71b1ab24870b897eeaf.jpg

In many regions, Hogwarts Legacy was the standout as the most downloaded game, but that wasn't the case in Japan, as Final Fantasy XVI on PS5 took that spot.

The latest RPG developed by Square Enix has managed to surpass such successful titles as Hogwarts Legacy, Monster Hunter Rise, Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon and others.

1. Final Fantasy XVI
  2. Hogwarts Legacy
  3. Monster Hunter: Rise
  4. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon
  5. Resident Evil 4 Remake
  6. Street Fighter 6
  7. Diablo IV
  8. Wild Hearts
  9. Like a Dragon Gaiden
  10. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
According to data released by Square Enix itself, Final Fantasy XVI sold 3 million copies in less than a week, but as of today, it hasn't updated the figure.

FFXVI came out 7 months ago. If they haven't updated their sales figures since then, I can't imagine it had good legs. Thinking back on FFVII Remake, they announced 3.5 million it's first week in April, and then it updated the figure to 5 million in August 2020. So the lack of any update on sales for FFXVI doesn't paint an optimistic outlook imo.

Madflavor

Man, imagine if it was actually good.

Blocking Video Games GIF by Far Cry 6

The 2 hour prologue was legit top tier. The way it sucked you into the world, it's lore, the characters, the writing, and the way it's ending hooks you into the story. It's some of the finest storytelling in the franchise. Not sure wtf happened after that, but goddamn did I feel tricked.

Doom85

The 2 hour prologue was legit top tier. The way it sucked you into the world, it's lore, the characters, the writing, and the way it's ending hooks you into the story. It's some of the finest storytelling in the franchise. Not sure wtf happened after that, but goddamn did I feel tricked.

My problem was so many of the story beats in the prologue I had already seen in Velvet’s prologue in Tales of Berseria, and honestly that game did it better IMHO. XVI’s prologue is still good, but also too familiar.

Funny enough, Clive’s story continues to draw so much from Velvet’s story after the prologue but makes it FAR worse after the prologue. Like, it’s like someone looked at the revelations surrounding Velvet’s brother and such and was like, “hmm, what if we took this story...and made it shit?”

Like, why spoil that Joshua is alive for the audience ahead of time? What was the point?

And somebody on Gaf was full of shit being like, “nah, man, it’s about the anticipation of what Clive’s reaction will be!”

Um,

A), no, having us find out at the same time as Clive would make the moment more emotionally resonate with the audience
B) oh yeah, Clive’s “reaction”. He finds out two seconds before passing out, and all we hear is a muttering of “Joshua…..”. Then we get a stupid time skip and Clive is just casually like, “hmm, I wonder where Joshua is?” like it’s no big deal. Oh wow, what a reaction…..

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
FFXVI came out 7 months ago. If they haven't updated their sales figures since then, I can't imagine it had good legs. Thinking back on FFVII Remake, they announced 3.5 million it's first week in April, and then it updated the figure to 5 million in August 2020. So the lack of any update on sales for FFXVI doesn't paint an optimistic outlook imo.
It seems like you missed out on the update.

They had confirmed that FF16 sold 3 million copies in its 1st week.

In comparison, FF7 Remake sold 3.5 million in its 1st week. Considering that FF7 is a huge name and launched on a much bigger PS4 userbase, FF16 sold superbly.

Madflavor

It seems like you missed out on the update.

They had confirmed that FF16 sold 3 million copies in its 1st week.

In comparison, FF7 Remake sold 3.5 million in its 1st week. Considering that FF7 is a huge name and launched on a much bigger PS4 userbase, FF16 sold superbly.

I know about the 3 million in it's first week. I'm saying we haven't had an update on it's sales figures since then. It was 3-4 months when Square updated FFVII: Remake's sales figures to 5 million. But it's been 7 months since FFXVI's initial report of 3 million for it's launch week, and we haven't had an update since. So to me that puts the strength of XVI's legs into question.

I do think 3 million sales in it's first week is a perfectly respectable number. But so far it seems to be selling less than it's predecessors, and that should be taken into account.

This is particularly interesting because AFAIK Final Fantasy XVI didn't finish top 10 sales in any regions in 2023.

Last edited:

Metnut

The speculation regarding sales is just that. The only facts we really know is that it sold 3 million right at launch and Square has told investors that its sales met expectations. Lying to investors causes major liability, so we have to take them at their word for that. Doesn’t give us a clear answer though regarding the sales.

My guess is that it’s around 4.5M total sold, with the majority at near full price. When you add in whatever Sony gave them for the initial exclusivity, and it probably made a nice profit. I’ll also speculate that it’ll get over 5M after PC comes out and probably end up right around 6M lifetime sales. That’s just fine. Not great, not bad, for a FF game in today’s environment.

I think FF7 Rebirth will sell better.

yazenov

F
FF16 wasnt good

I doubt you'd know the quality of the game given that you haven't played it. You are the same guy port begging the game to come to PC in many FF16 threads. Keep waiting for that FF16 PC port. Your hidden agenda is too obvious.

BTW FF16 is critically acclaimed with a Metacritic score of 87. I wouldn't call that not good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom