• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 188 36.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 49 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Draugoth

Gold Member
JWIWHcm.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Final Fantasy XVI

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (Jun 22, 2023)
  • PC (TBA)
Trailers:

Developer: Square Enix

Developer(s)Square Enix Creative Business Unit III
Publisher(s)Square Enix
Director(s)
  • Hiroshi Takai
  • Kazutoyo Maehiro
Producer(s)Naoki Yoshida
Designer(s)
  • Mitsutoshi Gondai
  • Ryota Suzuki
Programmer(s)Yusuke Hashimoto
Artist(s)
  • Hiroshi Minagawa
  • Kazuya Takahashi
Writer(s)
  • Kazutoyo Maehiro
  • Michael-Christopher Koji Fox
Composer(s)Masayoshi Soken
SeriesFinal Fantasy
Genre(s)Action role-playing
Mode(s)Single-player

Pre-Order:

Final Fantasy XVI Deluxe Edition

The deluxe edition costs $30 more than the standard one, but it comes with some physical items in addition to the game and preorder bonus:
  • Cloth world map of Valisthea
  • Special Clive Rosfield steelbook case
Best Buy is also giving away its exclusive steelbook case (different from the deluxe edition case) with purchase. So you’ll get two steelbook cases if you buy it there.

Final Fantasy XVI Collector's Edition

The collector's edition is available exclusively on the Square Enix Store. It comes with the following items:

• Ifrit statue
  • Set of 8 pins
  • Cloth world map of Valisthea
  • Special Clive Rosfield steelbook case
  • Blood Sword (digital item)

Final Fantasy XVI Digital Deluxe Edition

The digital deluxe edition doesn’t come with any physical items, obviously, but in addition to the preorder bonus, it includes the following digital extras:

• Digital mini art book
  • Digital mini soundtrack

Final Fantasy XVI Preorder Bonus​

Preorder Final Fantasy 16 from any retailer, and you’ll receive the following digital items at no extra charge:

• Gil Boost Accessory: Cait Sith Charm
  • Bonus Weapon: Braveheart
If you preorder a digital copy of either edition on the PlayStation Store, you’ll also receive the in-game item Scholar’s Spectacles.

A couple of retailers have their own exclusive bonuses as well:

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 91 average - 95% recommended - 65 reviews

HTKCmmp.jpg

MetaCritic - 88 average - Playstation 5 - 97 Reviews

hG5R3Ic.png

Critic Reviews​

Attack of the Fanboy - Diego Perez - 5 / 5
Final Fantasy XVI is an outstanding achievement. Every part of it, from its characters to its combat, was put there with a purpose. Not only does it deliver satisfyingly slick action RPG combat in between masterfully directed cutscenes, but also a story with real heart. Most importantly, it's incredibly clear that a team of creative individuals was behind every decision. There's a human element that permeates every aspect of Final Fantasy XVI, and it'll end up becoming a lot of people's favorite Final Fantasy because of that.
But Why Tho? - Kyle Foley - 10 / 10
In a world full of games trying to stand out, Final Fantasy XVI has no problem rising above the rest. Wonderfully fun combat and beautiful presentation help make the excellent story even more impactful in an adventure well worth the price of admission.
CGMagazine - Chris De Hoog - 10 / 10
Final Fantasy XVI melds the best of the series’ themes with a modern, malleable take on combat—creating a heartrending, generation-defining tale of revenge, fate, and freedom.
Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 9 / 10
Final Fantasy XVI is a weirdo black-sheep entry for the series. It won't be for all nor what all fans necessarily want for the franchise, but I also love it for that boldness. It's a gripping and harrowing page-turner of an epic high-fantasy story with plenty of heart the series is known for. Complex too are the characters, even if not all see their justice by the end. Valisthea is an eerily gorgeous setting, providing some of the most memorable vistas you'll have seen in a Final Fantasy game yet. Accessibility might not be at the forefront of the combat in-game but on offer is some of the most stylistic, and satisfying gameplay we've ever seen in an Action RPG. Even if you take further umbrage with its small flaws, there's no denying that Final Fantasy XVI is a special and memorable event. Through thick and thin, that franchise magic is captured once again. Frankly, you can't ask for anything better than that.
DASHGAMER.com - Dan Rizzo - 10 / 10
Final Fantasy XVI proposes a new foundation for finding a masterclass of perfection in action role-playing, and cements a prime legacy founded on past iterations, capitalising on a formula that's seen inarguable successes throughout its years in this medium, and has promulgated an establishment of extravagance that will indeed be hard to surpass.
Dexerto - Patrick Dane - 5 / 5
With a cast of characters that are easy to invest in, a story that pays off the promise of its impossible scale, and one of the best action combat systems ever committed to disk, Final Fantasy XVI is a game that you owe it to yourself to indulge in.
Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 3 / 5
Final Fantasy XVI delivers on the “action” side of its action-RPG formula. A fierce and fast-paced combat system makes for the series’ most exciting stab at real-time swordplay yet, while its blockbuster Eikon fights rank among some of gaming’s most awe-inspiring battles. But there’s a general flatness surrounding those exhilarating highs, as shallow RPG hooks and dated design leave a promising evolution for the series stuck in the past.
GGRecon - Harry Boulton - 4.5 / 5
Despite the weight of expectations from a series full of gaming hallmarks, Final Fantasy 16 stands tall as an outstanding experience that you won't want to miss out on.
Game Informer - Wesley LeBlanc - 8.5 / 10
When I look back at my time with Clive, his friends, his enemies, and Valisthea, it’s those highs that I vividly remember. FFXVI is very different from its predecessors, but in many ways, very familiar; And it’s still a Final Fantasy, through and through, reminding me why I love this series so much.
Gamer Escape - Josh McGrath - 9 / 10
Stellar and surprisingly customizable combat, a masterfully written and engaging storyline, and a beautiful audio visual presentation. It's nearly a complete package, but with a few annoyances that keep it from being a perfect game. That said, even with those frustrations in mind, Final Fantasy XVI is an absolute return to form for the mainline franchise, and easily a reason to get yourself a PlayStation 5 if you've yet to.
GamesHub - Edmond Tran - 4 / 5
Final Fantasy 16 largely shines as an epic-length action game, though the places where it attempts to find a comfortable compromise between action game and RPG feel largely unambitious, and certainly fade into the background against aspects that are approached with gusto. But it’s difficult not to get swept up by the earnest saga that Final Fantasy 16 eagerly lays out for you, and the egregious heights of spectacle it displays.
GamingTrend - David Flynn - 100 / 100
Final Fantasy XVI features excellent action combat and an intricate story, both with incredible depth. It combines gameplay, story, sound, and music together into one form all inextricably linked. It sets a new standard for action RPGs, and is quite possibly the pinnacle of the series.
Geek Culture - Wong Si Jia - 9.3 / 10
Final Fantasy XVI is a lot of things. It’s ambitious, gritty, and beautiful, but more importantly, it dares to dream. A sobering tale disguised as a dazzling visual spectacle, the almost-masterpiece presents a nuanced, clever take on all-too-familiar elements, and turns them into fresh experiences that devastate as much as they delight, before delivering the biggest reward – a well-executed emotional payoff.
Hardcore Gamer - Adam Beck - 5 / 5
Final Fantasy XVI will change what we think of the franchise moving forward.
Multiplayer First - James Lara - 9.5 / 10
Regardless if FFXVI is your first Final Fantasy game or you’re returning to the series, Square Enix’s latest game in the franchise lives up to the hype. Forget about JRPG’s or how action-RPGs nowadays need an open world, side quests that last for ages, co-op or whatever gimmick. FFXVI just throws all that out of the table and proves a tightly woven narrative-driven game –when built right — can make up for all those.
The minor issues the game has doesn’t detract from the incredible experience Clive & Co. bring to the table. Players will be treated to a compelling tale, stunning visual spectacles, and a fluid and fun combat system. What’s even more impressive is, Square Enix manages to make the franchise “grow up” alongside the players who grew up playing the series. FFXVI deals with more mature themes and manages to make it matter without being overly preachy about it.
Those looking for the series’ return to glory, rejoice! Final Fantasy XVI is that game, and this is one fantasy you’ll want to make sure you’re a part of.
Noisy Pixel - Bailey Seemangal - 9 / 10
Final Fantasy XVI is an action JRPG polished to an iridescent sheen. Its well-designed combat system and enemies, outstanding character writing and worldbuilding, and consistently stellar side content make it a standout entry in this legendary franchise. Even when accounting for the weak villains and a lukewarm conclusion, this was a journey that truly gripped me from beginning to end. This is a must-play game of the year and a Final Fantasy adventure you won't forget.
PSX Brasil - Thiago de Alencar Moura - Portuguese - 100 / 100
Inspired by the past but modern at every turn, Final Fantasy XVI is the overhaul the series needed with unparalleled quality. Driven by a fantastic story and charismatic characters, built on accessible, exciting gameplay and impressive graphics on the PS5, it consolidates itself as one of the best games in the franchise history.
PlayStation Universe - Timothy Nunes - 9.5 / 10
Very little gets in the way of the success that Final Fantasy XVI creates. The strength of combat on top of a compelling, deep narrative steal the show. Despite little need for world exploration and the occasional lower resolution texture, Final Fantasy XVI stats true to the namesake while forging its own path forward.
Polygon - Gita Jackson - Unscored
Final Fantasy 16 is incredible when it doesn’t try to say anything meaningful
PowerUp! - Adam Mathew - 9 / 10
I could barely put my controller down during my 57 hours with Final Fantasy XVI. It represents a huge milestone for this franchise, thanks to its bold shift to more adult story-telling (and language), addictive real-time combat, and gargantuan VFX spectacles that are best in class. Marry all that with what the series is already known for — epic orchestral OSTs and phenomenal world-building — and Final Fantasy XVI is nothing short of a must-own.
Prima Games - Jesse Vitelli - 9 / 10
Final Fantasy XVI’s grander narrative takes wild turns, evokes plenty of heartfelt emotions, and has given me a new cast of characters to fall in love with all over again. It’s a bold direction that Creative Business Unit 3 has taken the franchise, but one well worth the journey.
Push Square - Robert Ramsey - 9 / 10
At its best, Final Fantasy 16 is a jaw-dropping epic of rarely seen proportions. It's pretty much the pinnacle of cinematic spectacle in modern games, and its often gripping, emotional story is only matched by its fantastic combat system. While its overall quality does dip outside of the main plot, this is still a must-play action RPG, and the best single-player Final Fantasy in over a decade.
RPG Site - Cullen Black - 8 / 10
Final Fantasy XVI is a confident game with amazing combat, an earnest narrative, and unbridled spectacle. Faults in pacing, RPG depth, quest design, and all those other nagging criticisms be damned - this game is special.
Shacknews - Lucas White - 8 / 10
The latest marquee RPG from Square Enix goes for broke at every opportunity and then some.
Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 8 / 10
Final Fantasy XVI is technically impressive and an amazing action game, though the Game of Throne elements do hinder it a bit. However when the team does get to be original, the story can be absolutely engrossing.
Sirus Gaming - Noel Lontoc - 9 / 10
Final Fantasy XVI may offer daring adjustments, but it is in this spirit of creativity that the genre flourishes. The game is not perfect, yet Naoki Yoshida, the game's director, held faithful to his promise to deliver a compelling experience and bring Final Fantasy back to the must-have games again.
TechRaptor - Andrew Stretch - 9.5 / 10
Final Fantasy XVI is everything I could have hoped for and more. Combat is fast paced and rewarding as you master combos and abilities. Eikon fights, while not as interesting to play, are gorgeous to witness. All of this is wrapped up into a deep story and fully fleshed out world that you'll want to be protecting.
Too Much Gaming - Carlos Hernandez - 10 / 10
I was worried about the series shedding more of its JRPG roots when this title was first introduced, as recent entries have been straying away from more traditional forms for years. But my fears faded in the first five chapters of FFXIV; the essence of what makes Final Fantasy so great shines brightly here, and as such, this is one of my favorite high fantasy adventures this generation.
Twinfinite - Hayes Madsen - 5 / 5
Final Fantasy XVI is a bold and ambitious new vision for the franchise, that succeeds on almost every level.
WayTooManyGames - Leonardo Faria - 9 / 10
Purists might feel this game is way too different from anything that had come before it, be it for its vastly darker tone or emphasis on hack and slash action. Others might not enjoy how long it takes for the game to stop being Final Fantasy XIII levels of linear before finally opening up for exploration. My position on it is simple: I loved it. I loved its gameplay loop, and I fell in utter love with its setting and story.
Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 9.3 / 10
Final Fantasy XVI is by no means a perfect game, but it is an exceptionally good one. The engaging plot, beautiful visuals, and enjoyable gameplay all combine to create something that feels special. It can occasionally be a little long for its own good, and the combat system is slow to get going, but once it hits all the right marks, it knocks them out of the park. I left Final Fantasy XV disappointed by how unfinished it felt, but Final Fantasy XVI is a true rarity these days: a fully finished game that is satisfying from start to finish.
XGN.nl - Chris Boers - Dutch - 9.3 / 10
Final Fantasy XVI is a complete package with a refreshingly mature storyline, full of surprises that keeps raising the stakes. The switch to real-time fights is daring step, but works most of the time, as long as the graphical effects don't blur what's going on. The game can be greatily adapted to facilitate those that mostly play for the story, but also those that are looking for a real challenge. The most epic fights, those between the Eikons, are visually impressive, but a bit too hands-off.

Last edited:

Teslerum

86/87, couple outlets will intentionally give it lower scores because of diversity shit.
Never can tell if video game journalists are going to score a game based on their agenda or quality. Hopefully they score based on quality.
To be fair they said fuck off to everybody. Be that SJW's or Saudis.

Any controversy also seems to have barely gained traction regardless if we're talking 4chan or resetera.

So, they may be good on that front.

Last edited:

kevm3

Video game 'reviews' are mostly garbage nowadays and are mostly 'social credit scores' for videogames than actual reviews. I'm not sure if reviews from the big outlets were ever really reviews because if they scored certain titles how they truly felt, they'd probably get removed from the free swag and review copy list.

Unless FF16 keeps up the pace that was in the demo, this is easily my GOTY candidate.

Freeman76

88 I reckon.

Personally wasnt feeling the demo as much as I hoped. Loved the setting and combat, really dislike the sectional areas though and it made me decide to wait for a sale, wasnt impressed with performance either but they'll sort that.

Cant deny its well made though and will score high no doubt about it

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I voted for 90-95% based on demo... Will it be deserving of a higher score? Well I need to see if it keeps its steam throughout. Hoping it delivers.

Go_Ly_Dow

God of War Ragnarock got 94, despite being forgotten after it released, so this should be higher than that assuming the full game matches or exceeds the quality in the demo...

Expecting the full game to have more engaging combat than Rangarock, have a more interesting world+story+characters, be a bigger game, have a more memoroable soundtrack, stronger boss encounters, offer some of the most crazy real-time cutscenes and have a solid opening, mid and closing. As well as hold it's own visually and have better writing than GOWR.

If it scores less will expose Sony 1st party bias from outlets. 🕵️‍♂️

Last edited:

FeralEcho

94 final score.It will be heralded as one of the most impactful stories in gaming since The Last of Us and will be regarded as a system seller and one of the best games ever made.Yes I'm talking out of my ass from pure hype based on the demo and trailers but i feel it in my bones it's gonna be a masterpiece.

Top Bottom