• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So we've reached the point where it's pretty much unquestionable that 2023 is the greatest year ever in gaming, right?

Will 2023 Be the Greatest Year Ever in Gaming?

• Yes

Votes: 92 21.6%
  • No (which year beats it?)

Votes: 333 78.4%

• Total voters
I strongly disagree with sentiment that 2023 is the best year ever. Way too many sequels, remakes, etc. for that to be the case. Years with the launches of big exciting new IP are easily better.

Hugare

The publications that are incentivized to give good scores to these kind of games?
People are playing and loving the game

Go Away Do Not Want GIF

It's definitely up there. It's been one of my favorite years for games in a very long time. The last half of this years has just been some of the best games ever made released. It's been great.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
And how many in your list are new IP's? Very few. Decent year but the AAA industry is still creatively bankrupt.

I strongly disagree with sentiment that 2023 is the best year ever. Way too many sequels, remakes, etc. for that to be the case. Years with the launches of big exciting new IP are easily better.
I think 2007 was better because of more new ip.

Most years that have been considered the best years in history are full of sequels or from established IP. 2023 is no different.

1994:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Super Metroid
  • DOOM II
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • King's Quest VII
1998:
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Crash Bandicoot Warped
  • Star Wars Rogue Squadron
  • Sonic Adventure
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • GoldenEye 007
  • Tekken 3
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Virtua Fighter 3tb
2001:
  • Phantasy Star Online
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
  • Ace Combat 4
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Grand Theft Auto 3
  • Gran Turismo 3
  • Twisted Metal: Black
  • Sonic Adventure 2
2004:
  • Half Life 2
  • Doom 3
  • Unreal Tournament 2004
  • GTA San Andreas
  • Halo 2
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Burnout 3
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  • Jak 3
  • Sly Cooper 2
2007:
  • Pokemon Diamond
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Metroid Prime 3
  • Halo 3
  • God of War 2
2017:
  • Uncharted: Lost Legacy
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Persona 5
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Nier: Automata
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
  • Destiny

Why does 2023 suddenly have to have this random stipulation of "nEw iP oNLy!" when literally every year in gaming history that's considered the greatest is full of sequels and adaptations of established IP?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
People are playing and loving the game

thor-really.gif

Will look awfully bad if Alan Wake 2 has a dismal completion rate in a couple of months that show most players quitting the game before they finish.

Don't trust anything you hear during the honeymoon period. Fanboy types love hyping up the latest game.

Most years that have been considered the best years in history are full of sequels or from established IP. 2023 is no different.

1994:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Super Metroid
  • DOOM II
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • King's Quest VII
1998:
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Crash Bandicoot Warped
  • Sonic Adventure
  • GoldenEye 007
  • Tekken 3
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Virtua Fighter 3tb
2001:
  • Phantasy Star Online
  • Ace Combat 4
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Grand Theft Auto 3
  • Gran Turismo 3
  • Sonic Adventure 2
2004:
  • Half Life 2
  • Doom 3
  • Unreal Tournament 2004
  • GTA San Andreas
  • Halo 2
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Burnout 3
  • Jak 3
  • Sly Cooper 2
2007:
  • Pokemon Diamond
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Metroid Prime 3
  • Halo 3
  • God of War 2
2017:
  • Persona 5
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Destiny

Why does 2023 suddenly have to have this random stipulation of "nEw iP oNLy!" when literally every year in gaming history that's considered the greatest is full of sequels and adaptations of established IP?

It's all subjective anyway, so chill out. Yeah to YOU, 2023 is the best ever. For me it isn't. It's definitely up there though as one of the best years but each person's number 1 will differ.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

1994:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Super Metroid
  • DOOM II
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • King's Quest VII
1998:
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Crash Bandicoot Warped
  • Sonic Adventure
  • GoldenEye 007
  • Tekken 3
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Virtua Fighter 3tb
2001:
  • Phantasy Star Online
  • Ace Combat 4
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Grand Theft Auto 3
  • Gran Turismo 3
  • Sonic Adventure 2
2004:
  • Half Life 2
  • Doom 3
  • Unreal Tournament 2004
  • GTA San Andreas
  • Halo 2
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Burnout 3
  • Jak 3
  • Sly Cooper 2
2007:
  • Pokemon Diamond
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Metroid Prime 3
  • Halo 3
  • God of War 2
2017:
  • Persona 5
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Destiny

You missed two of the biggest games of all time in 2017. Literally bigger than every game you listed from every year.

Last edited:

Goliath77

For me personally its 1998 and its not even close:

Resident Evil 2

Gex: Enter the Gecko

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Xenogears

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

X-Men vs. Street Fighter: EX Edition

Descent: FreeSpace – The Great War

Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit

Tekken 3

Parasite Eve

StarCraft

Unreal

International Superstar Soccer 98

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Banjo-Kazooie

Street Fighter Alpha 3

F-Zero X

Star Ocean: The Second Story

Resident Evil: Director's Cut – Dual Shock Version

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six

Metal Gear Solid

NFL Blitz

Spyro the Dragon

Pokémon Yellow

Caesar III

MediEvil

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Klingon Honor Guard

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

Grim Fandango

Fallout 2

Crash Bandicoot: Warped

Heretic II

Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus

Railroad Tycoon II

The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard

SiN

Half-Life

The Settlers III

Tomb Raider III

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Thief: The Dark Project

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Baldur's Gate

Starsiege: Tribes

The fact that all of these came out in a single calender year is crazy. What an abundance of creativity there was back then.

2004, 2017 were both ample years for amazing games. Would need to see the compiled list for both those years to say 2023 is "better". Depends on what you play.

Agreed overall, though. Once Mario RPG hits, at least for me, it'll be one of the best years I can recall in recent memory. Certainly the strongest year of first-party bangers the Switch has seen since 2017.

Last edited:
"Greatest years in gaming" have to have paradigm shifting games. This year is just loaded with high production value sequels that are essentially "more of the same".

2017 was the last truly great year. 1998 was crazy good. This doesn't come close.
Agreed with half of what you're saying, and the other half is like you're telling me the moon is made of cheese when I know for a fact it isnt.

ToTK is "more of the same"? Have you not played it?

Not every sequel is "more of the same". What you're describing is more like an expansion pack. And even if what you are saying were true, is "more of the same" a bad thing if something is that good? :goog_unsure:

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

... snip huge list

The fact that all of these came out in a single calender year is crazy. What an abundance of creativity there was back then.

The enormous costs of producing modern games makes developers and publishers so risk averse that it's stifling creativity. You listed 46 games. How many AAA games could you make in 2023 for the combined development budget of all these games? Just a few.

The first Tomb Raider game cost $2.8 million to make in today's money (adjusted for inflation). Less than a quarter century later Shadow of the Tomb Raider had a development budget between $75 and 100 million.

Bond007

Why? cause of review scores?
While i agree its a strong year- maybe one of the best, but simply going off scores doesnt do it for me.

Forza?

Only time will tell and looking back on 2023. Just like we look back fondly on other years.
We dont just crown 2023 in 2023

Last edited:

darthkarki

1994:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Super Metroid
  • DOOM II
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • King's Quest VII
1998:
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Crash Bandicoot Warped
  • Sonic Adventure
  • GoldenEye 007
  • Tekken 3
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Virtua Fighter 3tb
2001:
  • Phantasy Star Online
  • Ace Combat 4
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Grand Theft Auto 3
  • Gran Turismo 3
  • Sonic Adventure 2
2004:
  • Half Life 2
  • Doom 3
  • Unreal Tournament 2004
  • GTA San Andreas
  • Halo 2
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Burnout 3
  • Jak 3
  • Sly Cooper 2
2007:
  • Pokemon Diamond
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Metroid Prime 3
  • Halo 3
  • God of War 2
2017:
  • Persona 5
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Destiny

I don't think anyone is saying "new IP only", the point is it takes excellent games from existing franchises and new IP to make a banner year. Yes, all of those years you list had fantastic games from existing franchises, just like 2023, but the point is they also had an above average number of new things. That's where 2023 lacks in comparison. I just posted this about 2007 - in addition to all those games you listed (and many, many more), it also started all of these major franchises:

• Assassin's Creed
  • BioShock
  • Crackdown
  • Crysis
  • Mass Effect
  • Portal
  • Rock Band
  • Skate
  • The Witcher
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Last edited:

Goliath77

The enormous costs of producing modern games makes developers and publishers so risk averse that it's stifling creativity. You listed 46 games. How many AAA games could you make in 2023 for the combined development budget of all these games? Just a few.

The first Tomb Raider game cost $2.8 million to make in today's money (adjusted for inflation). Less than a quarter century later Shadow of the Tomb Raider had a development budget between $75 and 100 million.
I absolutely agree, the spiralling cost has had a massive impact. The tomb raider example you provide is shocking and it really does show how significant this point is.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I don't think anyone is saying "new IP only", the point is it takes excellent games from existing franchises and new IP to make a banner year. Yes, all of those years you list had fantastic games from existing franchises, just like 2023, but the point is they also had an above average number of new things. That's where 2023 lacks in comparison. I just posted this about 2007 - in addition to all those games you listed (and many, many more), it also started all of these major franchises:

You make some good points for sure, but here’s a list of critically acclaimed new IP from 2023:

• Hi-Fi Rush
  • Starfield
  • Lies of P
  • Cocoon
  • Sea of Stars
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Cassette Beasts

Not to mention that some of the games on your list didn't set the world on fire with their first entries. Assassin's Creed, Crackdown, The Witcher 1, etc.. didn't blow any critics away, but they did go on to form iconic franchises. We don't know if the same could be said about Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, or Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, or Atomic Heart, or whatever other number of new IP that has landed this year. Time will tell.

As others have said, in the end it's all subjective I suppose.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Agreed with half of what you're saying, and the other half is like you're telling me the moon is made of cheese when I know for a fact it isnt.

ToTK is "more of the same"? Have you not played it?

Not every sequel is "more of the same". What you're describing is more like an expansion pack. And even if what you are saying were true, is "more of the same" a bad thing if something is that good? :goog_unsure:

You know this is true...

Skyward Sword to Breath of the Wild:

evel-knievel-daredevil.gif

Breath of the Wild to Tears of the Kingdom:

hop-buddy.gif

To suggest TotK made a huge leap from BotW is to diminish BotWs greatness.

Fatbody

It’s been a really good year after two of the worst years, back to back, that I can remember in over two decades. I can see why a lot of people, especially younger and new gamers would think this year is the best. But if you look back at forum archives of the early 2000s, it was as close to unanimous as you can get for 98, 01, 04, and 07 being the goat years. Every genre was doing something great.

The goalpost keeps shifting, but to me, 2023 stands out as potentially the "best year in gaming." However, it seems we might be talking about different things.

It's important to understand the distinctions:

"A year with the best game releases ever" signifies a year flooded with numerous standout games, some of which could be the best ever seen.

On the other hand, "the best year in gaming" speaks to a year abundant in significant gaming milestones, encompassing not only game releases but also industry progression and technological innovations.

By my assessment, 2023 fits the second definition, marked by acclaimed releases from longstanding franchises, innovative use of next-gen tech, and pleasantly surprising shifts in expectations.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Every year, in its time, is the best year by virtue of including all the games of all the past years, yes.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
2023 has been GREAT I said this before in this very thread and I will said again, if you can't find game to enjoy this year then its time for you to find another hobby.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
We literally got a year with a new Zelda , new final fantasy , new street fighter , new Mario, and even had some metal gear solid (albeit shit ports), but still.

Not to mention in the insanity list of all the other wild titles like BG3 or Alan wake 2 or armored core 6. New IPs like Lies of P.

This is easily the best year in gaming ever. Only nostalgia driven rose tinted glasses dingle berries think otherwise.

Exactly. The start of that many top tier new IP makes 2007 miles better than 2023 for me personally.

Last edited:
You make some good points for sure, but here’s a list of critically acclaimed new IP from 2023:

• Hi-Fi Rush
  • Starfield
  • Lies of P
  • Cocoon
  • Sea of Stars
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Cassette Beasts

Not to mention that some of the games on your list didn't set the world on fire with their first entries. Assassin's Creed, Crackdown, The Witcher 1, etc.. didn't blow any critics away, but they did go on to form iconic franchises. We don't know if the same could be said about Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, or Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, or Atomic Heart, or whatever other number of new IP that has landed this year. Time will tell.

As others have said, in the end it's all subjective I suppose.
That list of new IP for 2023 is nowhere NEAR 2007 in terms of exciting big AAA games IMO.

Last edited:

Woopah

Really really strong year, and I hope we see more next year.

Its starting well, but there isn't much after March. I want to hear more about what SE, Capcom, Nintendo and Sony have for April onwards.

To suggest TotK made a huge leap from BotW is to diminish BotWs greatness.
Strongly disagree. BotW remains my goat, but TotK as a game of its own was just monumental imo. Lots of great games are the result of building block titles that came before them.

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
I don't know if we've surpassed 2008 yet, what a legendary year

Original IPs
Assassin's Creed
Mass Effect
Rock Band
Dead Space
Mirror's Edge
Lost Odyssey
Left 4 Dead
The World Ends With You
Valkyria Chronicles
LittleBigPlanet
Braid
Castle Crashers
World of Goo
Eternal Sonata
The Last Remnant

Sequels
Grand Theft Auto IV
Metal Gear Solid 4
Fallout 3
Gears of War 2
Call of Duty: World at War
Burnout Paradise
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Far Cry 2
Fable II
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
Mario Kart Wii
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Persona 4
Soul Caliber 4
Fatal Frame IV
Tales of Vesperia
Saints Row 2

Ports and remakes
Dragon Quest V (NDS)
Persona 3 FES (PS2)
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC)
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Chrono Trigger (NDS)
BioShock (PS3)
Okami (Wii)
Not even remotely close. 2007 is the best we've (I've) had.

Mass Effect
Uncharted
Halo 3
Modern Warfare
Portal
Bioshock
Super Mario Galaxy
Crysis
Team Fortress 2
God of War 2
Guitar Hero 3

All absolute bangers.
ac was in 07 not 08

Resident Evil 2

Gex: Enter the Gecko

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Xenogears

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

X-Men vs. Street Fighter: EX Edition

Descent: FreeSpace – The Great War

Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit

Tekken 3

Parasite Eve

StarCraft

Unreal

International Superstar Soccer 98

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Banjo-Kazooie

Street Fighter Alpha 3

F-Zero X

Star Ocean: The Second Story

Resident Evil: Director's Cut – Dual Shock Version

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six

Metal Gear Solid

NFL Blitz

Spyro the Dragon

Pokémon Yellow

Caesar III

MediEvil

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Klingon Honor Guard

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

Grim Fandango

Fallout 2

Crash Bandicoot: Warped

Heretic II

Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus

Railroad Tycoon II

The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard

SiN

Half-Life

The Settlers III

Tomb Raider III

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Thief: The Dark Project

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Baldur's Gate

Starsiege: Tribes

Quite sad to see a list like that and see now by comparison how stifled the industry is

Killer8

It's been pretty good, but the narrative that exists online that "modern gaming is trash" or "gaming is dead" is too pervasive for 2023 to get the recognition that it actually deserves.

Top Bottom