• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astray

Gold Member
No matter what others pretend now, it was actually supposed to be Redfall.
Redfall and Microsoft:

P679x5s.jpg

graywolf323

Edge 6 did damage.

wow, I’m surprised Metacritic actually tweeted that out

the replies are as bad as you would expect, this person claims to be a journalist…

edit: I got curious so here’s the 3 places that gave it a 5 according to OpenCritic (the only other score below a 6 was Sterling’s 4) none of which seem to be ‘PlayStation’ outlets trying to torpedo Starfield

Bazimag
EIP Gaming
Paste Magazine (the only one of the three that’s a top critic and so influences the avg)

meanwhile there were 25 (!) outlets that gave it a perfect score (15 of which are top critics so they influence the avg)

Xbox fanboys really seem to be among the worst when it comes to clearly not living in reality… for a ‘journalist’ to throw a claim like that out there which there’s not a shred of evidence of being it remotely true is just sad

Last edited:

graywolf323

Microsoft when the very UK publications they shafted come back to haunt them:

40f.png

This will always be hilarious to me.
honestly I don’t think they care, they know they got more sales at launch thanks to it (heck I ended up biting on the Premium Edition which I rather regret)

besides you have ‘journalists’ like this providing cover on social media

I bet most of their evangelists/useful idiots truly believe this too, that the British media that gave less glowing reviews later are just “PlayStation fanboys” 🙄

this is why Xbox will never improve either, their fans don’t hold them responsible for a single damn thing, it’s always someone else’s fault and look at where that’s gotten them in the ~10 years of Phil’s leadership 🤦🏼‍♂️

God of War dropped faster. Game Pass be damned.

Same for Spider-man

Were those games day one one steam and free?

and of course we have the debacle of Starfield not hitting those CCU people were expecting.

but i am coming from the pov that if already the majority of people who BUYS games don't finish them, now imagine a game that has a slow start and not having the most positive word of mouth. 😬

Topher

Gold Member
Were those games day one one steam and free?

and of course we have the debacle of Starfield not hitting those CCU people were expecting.

but i am coming from the pov that if already the majority of people who BUYS games don't finish them, now imagine a game that has a slow start and not having the most positive word of mouth. 😬

“The drop in the number of players over time has to be one of the steepest in the last 10 years”

I’m just showing you the data we have and it doesn’t support your claim.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
he did say one of the steepest...
not THE steepest

not to be pedantic, but, since you seem to be another "Adoring Fan"

The game is still in the top 30 most played games on Steam. It is the top 10 for Xbox. That's on the opposite end of the spectrum from "the steepest" no matter how you try to mischaracterize it.

And yeah, I thought the game was great, but that doesn't make me wrong here.

Last edited:

404games

Banned
starboard? or starbored?
(i actually think the game is fine, a 7/10 game)

problem is with the "adoring fanbase" that spends more time
praising it and defending it and lashing out at people
who aren't allowed to rightfully tease the game for the bugs and obvious flaws.

i love goofing on stuff, it's a curse
8kvKyOf.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
starboard? or starbored?
(i actually think the game is fine, a 7/10 game)

problem is with the "adoring fanbase" that spends more time
praising it and defending it and lashing out at people
who aren't allowed to rightfully tease the game for the bugs and obvious flaws.

i love goofing on stuff, it's a curse
8kvKyOf.jpg

Some of us "adoring fans" have been quite vocal from the beginning about the game's flaws. The problem here is that you are the one "lashing out" at "adoring fans" even when they are making factual statements. Tease the game all you want. I've done my fair share of that as well.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

Topher

Gold Member
I got afraid forba second that the review score was down. No it was just about the number of players. With the games being free with the Playstation Collection I suppose that people got them on console if they could. Thanks for the info it is true that player count dropped fast for both.

Not the best comparison really. Just a couple of games that came to mind late in the day. If we compare Starfield to Baldur's Gate 3 aligned from release date, we see that the rate of drop off in player count isn't that different although obviously BG3 started out with a much larger number.

TvlSU7v.png

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Angry Joe’s bits in the review were funny. I haven’t played the game yet so I don’t know if I’ll relate to them when I do, but found them funny nonetheless.

I think what it comes down to is you’re either tolerant of Bethesda’s jank and game structure or you aren’t. Some people just love the freedom of their games and look past all that stuff and some have grown tired of it and can’t.

Topher

Gold Member
100% this. There's a TON OF BULLSHIT in this game. Seriously, a truck load. But It's still my most played game this year, nothing comes even close.

Most play time for me as well although Cyberpunk is starting to creep up there since 2.0. I've stopped playing until Bethesda gets some more patches. Post-launch support has sucked and yeah, lots of bullshit to wade through. But it is a fun game despite it all and still has that Bethesda charm, warts and all. I'll definitely be jumping in again when Bethesda gets off their ass. Oh......and still have that DLC to look forward to.

Top Bottom