• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield, FF16, GOW Ragnarok, or Tears of the Kingdom - which of these had the worst writing?

Which of these games have the worst writing?

• Total voters

LakeOf9

Mod edit: Spiderman added in there (given the reaction to a LOT of the dialogue), so added as an option

We've received a lot of great and praised games the last year or so, but a lot of the very praised games have ended up having some pretty bad writing and storytelling. In some cases, where the writing and storytelling is not really the point of the game, like in Zelda, it isn't as acute a problem (but still worth pointing out). Other games, like FF16 and Starfield, that insist on putting their writing front and centre, shine a bigger spotlight on the relatively poorer writing they have. And then there are games like Ragnarok, which alternate between having very good and VERY BAD writing in the same game.

So which of these four games do you think has the worst writing, and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Go_Ly_Dow

God of War Ragnarok for sounding more like an American College campus than a mythological world.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
They were all mediocre.

But God Of War Ragnarok's Kratos is so pathetic, and based on the wishful thinking of a very specific kind of American left wing undergraduate, where his real function is to repent for his errant masculinity over and over and over again, that I can barely tolerate playing it.

It is a worldview of, frankly, lesbian feminists and the pink haired, polyamorous, impotent child molesters who enable them. Kratos was to me, a far healthier, more well rounded, and better character when he existed to fuck bitches, kill things with chains, and be a man.

And his kid is a piece of shit who should be summarily executed.

Thirty7ven

Banned
They were all mediocre.

But God Of War Ragnarok's Kratos is so pathetic, and based on the wishful thinking of a very specific kind of American left wing undergraduate, where his real function is to repent for his errant masculinity over and over and over again, that I can barely tolerate playing it.

It is a worldview of, frankly, lesbian feminists and the pink haired, polyamorous, impotent child molesters who enable them. Kratos was to me, a far healthier, more well rounded, and better character when he existed to fuck bitches, kill things with chains, and be a man.

What the hell?

How dumb and deluded do you have to be to post garbage like this?

Banjo64

cumsessed
They were all mediocre.

A little extreme but no lies detected

Meme Reaction GIF

Last edited:

LakeOf9

What the hell?

Turbo-culture wars. There’s not one single thread that isn’t derailed by edgelord shit like this lately.
Yeah, at this point my go-to way of dealing with it is to just ignore it, because engaging with it only keeps it going, this way it's a single post that'll be one of dozens

Thabass

Tears of the Kingdom had the best Zelda writing in many, many years.

The only one on that list I could think of that's "bad" in any sense was Starfield. But a lot of it the writing in the game was good. I think what hurt it for me the most was
the whole reliving your events again after you beat the game. It was just kinda meh.

LakeOf9

What's the point of such a negative thread?

Are you 13 years old?

Ffs
How is it negative? These are all praised games that sold a lot, obviously they're beloved games - Ragnarok and TOTK are even already called GOAT contenders. You can still discuss specific failings of these games. I think Ragnarok has stupid writing and TOTK has poor writing, both are still my favourites of their respective years

Wait.....if we are going to add games after the fact then we need to give folks the option to change their vote

Whoopie Just Saying GIF by MOODMAN
Done

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What the hell?

He’s 100% right. Playing the dlc confirmed this. These writers threw away all the character development of the 2018 game as tyr and mimir guide kratos through a therapy session where they justify all his bloodthirsty murders against the greek gods and people as self defense and noble acts of a Spartan lord simply protecting his people.

The game is insanely preachy with everyone giving each other lectures on how to behave as if they are in 21st century college campuses. It is some of the worst writing I’ve ever seen. Spider-Man 2 is like citizen Kane in comparison.

He’s 100% right. Playing the dlc confirmed this. These writers threw away all the character development of the 2018 game as tyr and mimir guide kratos through a therapy session where they justify all his bloodthirsty murders against the greek gods and people as self defense and noble acts of a Spartan lord simply protecting his people.

The game is insanely preachy with everyone giving each other lectures on how to behave as if they are in 21st century college campuses. It is some of the worst writing I’ve ever seen. Spider-Man 2 is like citizen Kane in comparison.

I'm going to murder my wife and child out of protest

#NotMyKratos

Optimus Lime

Exactly. Thank you. It is fucking insufferable. Whiny, preachy, ball-less garbage by woke imbeciles, and it utterly ruined any enjoyment I had out of it. Same as Spiderman 2. I don't give a fuck about their shitty undergraduate politics, I just want to kill things.

That it has support here just blows my mind.

TexMex

I think a lot of the answers here are just people voting for their least favorite game overall instead of just the writing in a vacuum. Starfield is the worst game on this list but the writing is the least of its worries.

Optimus Lime

I don’t give a shit what you think of Valhala and what it means for Ragnarok. If you think they took a shit on GOW then you are illiterate to the point of not even understanding what was happening in GOW18.

If you think the garbage he wrote is remotely true let’s just leave it at that. Everybody is entitled to look like an idiot.
"UR DUM LOL"

There's someone here who is embarrassing himself, kiddo. And it ain't me.

ikbalCO

tho i don't like starfield, some of the side missions and most of the main mission has fantastic writing. it is not the writers fault that the gameplay is shite.

meanwhile, Zelda has no writing. just great set pieces which are not writing. don't mistake ganandorf FANTASTIC design as good writing.

Majormaxxx

If chat gpt was out in 2022,we could have had decent writing in the games. Instead we had actual human weirdos write and here's the result.

Top Bottom