• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield, FF16, GOW Ragnarok, or Tears of the Kingdom - which of these had the worst writing?

Which of these games have the worst writing?

• Total voters

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
yeah, there's historical/cultural accuracy. & then there's current day ideological accuracy, presided over & decided by a group of self-anointed 'experts' at a company that's only been around for 5 years. very much apples & oranges...

There's the same thing. The only difference is if you personally find value in one compared to the other. Ideological accuracy is the same as cultural accuracy. You're just using different terms for them. But at their core, it's very similar.

somesang

I voted Starfield with Spider-Man 2 being a close second.

Starfield completely lacks character and flavor - it's as though they shipped the first draft before an actual writer came in to flesh out the script. It's a completely mundane experience and showcases Bethesda's archaic storytelling philosophies, specifically how each bit of dialogue is disconnected from the environment.

Spider-Man 2 is the opposite, to the point that every character becomes this one dimensional parody of an archetype. The saving grace is some of the performances are top notch, specifically Peter. Harry's lines are cringe inducing - but, I think that's the focus on refining characters so much, they become predictable.

Tears of the Kingdom is non-offensive and safe. This is how writing can take a lower priority and not affect the overall package. Do I want an engrossing, in-depth script for a Zelda game though? That said, the fact that there is more flavor in non-voiced text boxes versus Starfield's deadpan voice deliveries speaks volumes.

FF16 writing is hard for me to judge. The overall package is good I guess, I can't help but think the localization team spent a lot of time to nail it but it does come off as forced. That said, I loved Cid's and Clyde's performances.

Haven't played Ragnarok much yet to decide.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There's the same thing. The only difference is if you personally find value in one compared to the other. Ideological accuracy is the same as cultural accuracy. You're just using different terms for them. But at their core, it's very similar.
No. No it is not.

One is revisionism of the past based on current year cultism. The other is actual historical and cultural work agreed upon by the consensus of scholars over the centuries or millennia.

mckmas8808

No. No it is not.

One is revisionism of the past based on current year cultism. The other is actual historical and cultural work agreed upon by the consensus of scholars over the centuries or millennia.

Depends on who's doing the consulting lol. We've seen the so-called historians pull that revisionism too and try to pass it off lies as truths when it wasn't. Nobody's hands are completely clean here. Neither is completely dirty also.

Only on the internet do we have to be either #TeamA or #TeamB. When most of the time it's a little of both.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Depends on who's doing the consulting lol. We've seen the so-called historians pull that revisionism too and try to pass it off lies as truths when it wasn't. Nobody's hands are completely clean here. Neither is completely dirty also.

Only on the internet do we have to be either #TeamA or #TeamB. When most of the time it's a little of both.
If you follow the conversation, we were talking about the BS diversity firm... for a game that was set in a time period thousands of years before that modern day noise.

Thankfully Ghost did not go down that road, and went right to the proper sources for material.

Last edited:
let's agree to disagree: imo, genuine culture arises organically from within societies, while ideology is foisted on cultures by self-anointed self-serving clergies...

mckmas8808

let's agree to disagree: imo, genuine culture arises organically from within societies, while ideology is foisted on cultures by self-anointed self-serving clergies...

Yeah totally disagree with the bolded. Keep in mind I'm a black man from America with a deep understanding our American history, so that's my background. Trust me, we didn't organically agree to assume Christianity willingly. It was foisted on to us by slave masters. And overtime it became part of our "culture". But yeah....agree to disagree on this one. Probably going a bit off topic anyway. :)

Last edited:

Certinty

From what I played or Starfield the writing was atrocious, mind you I didn't get too far.

Only got like 10 hours into Final Fantasy XVI and although the game was boring, the story telling and writing seemed more than fine.

I didn't even realise Tears of the Kingdom had a story.

Ragnarok is hands down one of the worst stories i've come across in a huge game. Shame because it starts off so promising in the first hour.

Spider-Man 2 was... so disappointing. The first third is great, the second third is decent (despite the symbiote being rushed with Peter), but the final act has to be some of the worst writing i've ever come across. Rushed, stupid and crap is the best way I could describe it. The fact Insomniac said themselves they had to rush says a lot, probably the worst final hours of writing i've come across in a game.

Very hard decision here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah totally disagree with the bolded. Keep in mind I'm a black man from America with a deep understanding our American history, so that's my background. Trust me, we didn't organically agree to assume Christianity willingly. It was foisted on to us by slave masters. And overtime it became part of our "culture". But yeah....agree to disagree on this one. Probably going a bit off topic anyway. :)
Now we have new slave masters fostering identity politics (separatism), same ole segregated group collectivism all packaged in an alphabet soup bludgeoning. ;)

Last edited:
Starfield sucks but honestly does anyone actually care about the story in Zelda games?
Yes. Anyone who played through totk knows how powerful the ending was. Perhaps the greatest narrative ever told in a Zelda game. As far as trying to bridge games like botw to totk and oot to mm, I just view it as alternative worlds or different takes on the stories, and don't feel the need to make them connect coherently. Same goes for most games, like FF and DQ for instance.

Tams

No idea why TOTK is on this list other than OP trolling us.

It's no Edgar Allen Poe, Agatha Christie, or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but the writing is serviceable and in a few places even quite good. Sure, there are some logical holes here and there, but nothing that the fantastic gameplay can't make less obvious.

It's one of those bits of media where if you don't think too deeply and just enjoy what it is good at; that you can even be pleasantly surprised at. Like going to see an action film for the violence and explosions, to then be had by a plot twist (that if you think too hard about the film is telegraphed and quite obvious).

Last edited:
but don't you see that, in saying this, you are agreeing with me! the cultures of central/south america didn't organically agree to assume christianity, either! like the blacks from africa, they already had a culture! this was an ideology, created by 'others', being foisted on them. &, like the africans, they came to absorb & adapt this ideology within the context of their culture...

you really don't believe that this's exactly what's going on right now, via ivory tower, academia-created 'ideology', with its own self-ordained 'clergy' (aka 'intellectuals' (aka 'grifters')), 'liturgy' (aka 'terminology') & 'sacred texts' (aka 'required best-seller reading')? you really don't see it as both a deliberate attempt to distract & create divisiveness (as well as construct an entirely new white-collar industry for all those clueless recent college grads)? you really don't believe that this's actively, stridently being foisted on our culture, via the complete co-operation of western governments & major media, in the exact same way christianity was back then? to serve the exact same purpose - subjugation? that, rather, it's something that's just perfectly naturally risen up from the street?...

ideologies are belief systems. they are not cultures, they are the creations of individuals (catholics, marxists) within cultures. they can definitely influence & shape cultures. but they're not, themselves, cultures. which's why no 2 'capitalist states', or 'communist states', are completely identical...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just from this year.

Spiderman 2.
FF16.
Star Wars Jedi Survivor.
Larry David Reaction GIF

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
It is a tie between GoW Rag and Spider-Man 2. Both had writing so atrocious that I actively regret playing them. I would say Spider-Man 2 was slightly better if only because it did have some high quality side quests that felt like classic Spider-man.

StarField is just boring. But it wasn't a sequel that made me sad that I ever enjoyed the franchise to begin with.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
From what I played or Starfield the writing was atrocious, mind you I didn't get too far.

Only got like 10 hours into Final Fantasy XVI and although the game was boring, the story telling and writing seemed more than fine.

I didn't even realise Tears of the Kingdom had a story.

Ragnarok is hands down one of the worst stories i've come across in a huge game. Shame because it starts off so promising in the first hour.

Spider-Man 2 was... so disappointing. The first third is great, the second third is decent (despite the symbiote being rushed with Peter), but the final act has to be some of the worst writing i've ever come across. Rushed, stupid and crap is the best way I could describe it. The fact Insomniac said themselves they had to rush says a lot, probably the worst final hours of writing i've come across in a game.

Very hard decision here.
ToTK's story is told exclusively through those flashback cutscenes you unlock by collecting tears.

This is by far the most elaborate and choreographed storytelling has been in a zelda game. I dont know what is so bad about any of this.

Spiderman 2 falls short in the third act, especially after two very strong acts with some awesome setpieces, story moments and boss fights. its almost a complete opposite of the first game where the last act was awesome, one boss fight after another and an incredibly emotional ending. THat said, aside from that one boss fight with MJ and Peter, i didnt think anything was too bad. Kraven was awesome till the end, and venom is finally given time to shine in a movie without being a fucking joke like hes in sonys movies. he's menacing and intriguing at the same time. way better than he was in spiderman 3 and the new tom hardy movies.

lol spiderman 2 is the most woke game ive ever played, but they did get the characters right at least. Venom, Harry, Symbiote Peter, regular Peter and especially Kraven were all very memorable and did not feel like they were written with a 21st century agenda. they stayed true to their comic book origins and i have to respect that.

they left all the woke stuff for the side quests, and while it made me want to gouge my eyes out, I thoroughly enjoyed the main story and didnt feel shortchanged at any point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It is a tie between GoW Rag and Spider-Man 2. Both had writing so atrocious that I actively regret playing them. I would say Spider-Man 2 was slightly better if only because it did have some high quality side quests that felt like classic Spider-man.

StarField is just boring. But it wasn't a sequel that made me sad that I ever enjoyed the franchise to begin with.
You make a good point. I enjoyed the writing in 2018 and it made me very eager to see where it would go for Ragnarok, but then it fell flat for me and did disappoint me compared to the first one. Personally, I think a lot of cut corners in the story progression writing wise (and possibly set pieces) was needed to stuff what was supposed to be a trilogy, into just a single sequel.

Which makes me wonder more so why the hurry to close this out for a while, as far as what their next game is.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just from this year.

Spiderman 2.
FF16.
Star Wars Jedi Survivor.
I don’t understand what’s not to like in Ragnarok writing. To me it’s easily the highlight of the game.

I have kratos just a tier below Arthur Morgan and Joel as best male leads after Ragnarok

Didn’t play ff16 but if it’s anything like the cheesy anime stuff like other entries it’s a hell no for me.

Spider man 2 is solid but I have a hard time giving insomniac full credit for spiderman. Plus the games story beats simply don’t hit as hard as gow for me. Too predictable

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
You make a good point. I enjoyed the writing in 2018 and it made me very eager to see where it would go for Ragnarok, but then it fell flat for me and did disappoint me compared to the first one. Personally, I think a lot of cut corners in the story progression writing wise (and possibly set pieces) was needed to stuff what was supposed to be a trilogy, into just a single sequel.

Which makes me wonder more so why the hurry to close this out for a while, as far as what their next game is.

Absolutely. This should have been a proper trilogy like was originally planned. By trying to rush it, they just made a worse product across the board.

Unless they have something *truly* amazing come up, I don't think I will pick up any more SSM games until they are free on PSPlus or under 5 dollars on sale.

tmlDan

It can disappoint you however it may, but it's still leagues above everything on this list. Especially Valhalla, the ending and writing are a tier above 99% of games.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Absolutely. This should have been a proper trilogy like was originally planned. By trying to rush it, they just made a worse product across the board.

Unless they have something *truly* amazing come up, I don't think I will pick up any more SSM games until they are free on PSPlus or under 5 dollars on sale.

I still have faith in Corey Barlog to make some kickass games, but I think what DeepEnigma DeepEnigma said makes a lot of sense. The definitely squeezed too much into this game and the narrative became a bit of a mess. By the end, I had really lost interest in the story.

Hopefully Barlog is going in an entirely new direction. I think I've had enough God of War.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I still have faith in Corey Barlog to make some kickass games, but I think what DeepEnigma DeepEnigma said makes a lot of sense. The definitely squeezed too much into this game and the narrative became a bit of a mess. By the end, I had really lost interest in the story.

Hopefully Barlog is going in an entirely new direction. I think I've had enough God of War.

After Ragnarok, I think I am done with GoW in general. Unless they somehow retcon much of what happened in Rag, I have no real interest in seeing where they take their YA level writing.

I want to believe in Barlog in making a great new game, but considering his fervent defense of Rag and other poor showings within the industry, I am losing hope. I would be all for being proven wrong though. I want more great games like GoW 2018. Less like SM2/GoWRag.

From that list Spider Man 2 is undoubtedly the winner. From the get go it felt so cringe and atrocious in its writing. I think someone on drugs may have written most of the lines.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It can disappoint you however it may, but it's still leagues above everything on this list. Especially Valhalla, the ending and writing are a tier above 99% of games.
I enjoyed the gameplay and a lot of the side content and set pieces. The worlds were beautiful even if they felt a little compact, as well. I just feel they hurt themselves story-wise compared to if it were left in a trilogy.

We need a warpath Kratos again reeking havoc on Egypt. Not any game with any Loki who died with all those gods after Ragnarok in Norse Mythos. Make it where Egypt came in the power vacuum and caused his death or some shit.

Last edited:

tommib

I enjoyed the gameplay and a lot of the side content and set pieces. The worlds were beautiful even if they felt a little compact, as well. I just feel they hurt themselves story-wise compared to if it were left in a trilogy.

We need a warpath Kratos again wreaking havoc on Egypt. Not any game with any Loki shit who died with all those gods after Ragnarok in Norse Mythos. Make it where Egypt came in the power vacuum and caused his death or some shit.
Bluepoint disliked this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
After Ragnarok, I think I am done with GoW in general. Unless they somehow retcon much of what happened in Rag, I have no real interest in seeing where they take their YA level writing.

I want to believe in Barlog in making a great new game, but considering his fervent defense of Rag and other poor showings within the industry, I am losing hope. I would be all for being proven wrong though. I want more great games like GoW 2018. Less like SM2/GoWRag.
He is going to defend it, regardless, it's his studio's game. Circling the wagons, etc.. But deep down I'm sure he knows where the issues lie in retrospect. He did produce the fantastic 2018 for him to compare.

mdkirby

Some of the writing in ff16 was unbelievably bad. Like atrocious, aside from the main quest (and even some bits of that) they’d have been far better served having chatGPT do the writing.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
GOW Ragnarok Valhalla needs to be on that list asap... Kratos's therapy session. Holly shit dude. These games where meant to be fun, not a guild trip because of what I did 15 years ago on PS3.

Even in a rouge like format, people can't shut their flap and let Kratos be, constantly verbally cutting his balls off.

Top Bottom